Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Easing The Pain: Shows To Watch After Breaking Bad

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Easing The Pain: Shows To Watch After Breaking Bad Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Easing The Pain: Shows To Watch After Breaking Bad - 5/10/2013 12:29:12 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Something is missing.. - 5/10/2013 12:29:12 AM   
denisgleeson

Where is Boardwalk Empire!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Glaringly Incomplete. - 5/10/2013 5:03:26 AM   
botster

Both Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men solidly belong on this list, given that they both feature morally complex leads and superb writing.

Post #: 3
No entourage????? - 5/10/2013 12:41:39 PM   
louwa

Why haven't you put entourage in the list??? Are you crazy!!!!!

Post #: 4
NO DEXTER!!!! - 5/10/2013 2:01:03 PM   
wilsyboy1978

Dexter is an awesome show every bit as good as most of these on the list and much more fun to watch than most

Post #: 5
Erm... - 5/10/2013 3:05:09 PM   
Evolved As One

...Game Of Thrones?

Post #: 6
does anyone remember... - 5/10/2013 10:08:55 PM   
patrickrooney23

SMALLVILLE!!! come on, awesome tv show and really easy to get into like Breaking Bad

Post #: 7
Another Boardwalk Viewer - 5/10/2013 10:15:28 PM   
Scofield67

Agreed with the majority of the list though I'm not sure about The Americans.

Regarding the show's that have been missed off the list, Boardwalk Empire is awesome, as is Game Of Thrones. I was a Six Feet Under fan and 24 (though I wish they weren't bringing it back - happy with the way it ended).

Loved Breaking Bad, right up there with The Sopranos and The Wire for me as the Greatest TV Show of all time.

Post #: 8
Hear that wail? - 6/10/2013 12:40:20 AM   
manufan

That's the howl of Banshee, at being missed off this list. Only a season in, and already one of my favourite shows, and every single character in treads the fine moral line between hero and villain precariously.
Obviously GoT should be on here too, Boardwalk I got bored with before S1 even finished, and I sincerely hope Evolved As One is being ironic.

Post #: 9
Okay... - 6/10/2013 2:16:13 AM   
FoxDhoj

The Sopranos, The Wire and Deadwood are clear givens...but what about Boardwalk Empire, Treme, or Ray Donovan? Course you could wait 'til January for True Detective...

Post #: 10
If you haven't already seen it... - 6/10/2013 6:09:13 AM   
cowand3

Check this out, it's a trailer for the fans if there ever was one (it may even help to get over those Breaking Bad blues...it's that EPIC!!) enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpGwRlH_HF4

Post #: 11
NO BATTLESTAR!!?? - 6/10/2013 2:32:54 PM   
douggie10

Seriously, you can't list TV shows and not put in BSG. It's against the law!

Post #: 12
SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD - 6/10/2013 8:54:03 PM   
Blyman

I love The Shield and I haven't met a single person who has seen it which annoys the hell out of me because I've never been able to talk to anyone about how amazing it is. So watch it!!

Post #: 13
Breaking Mad - 7/10/2013 12:14:02 AM   
chrispdaniel

I've just watched all of series 2-5 in the last three weeks (55 episodes in total, about 42 hours in actual viewing time) and am astounded by how good the entire series was.

I first watched Series 1 about 18 months ago but found it difficult/upsetting to watch having lost my brother to cancer, given how accurate the portrayal was. I'm glad I came back to it though because it certainly ranks up there with The Wire and The Sopranos.

I think I quite fancy giving The Shield a go next. Think I may need to resume my normal life for a weeks first though. I just hope I can make it through the inevitable Breaking Bad Cold Turkey...

Post #: 14
- 7/10/2013 12:44:11 AM   
EmmaHill10

I must give my thanks to SARAH MOORE, who posted here last week comment about system she uses to earn online... I've got my FIRST check total of $550, pretty cool.. I am so exicted, this is the first time I actually earned something. I am going to work even harder new and I can't wait for next week payment. You can try it for yourself. Bow6com

Post #: 15
- 7/10/2013 2:50:28 AM   
mulscul

Hey, where's X-files on the ilst? That show got Vince Gilligan on his way to write Breaking Bad, especially the episode "Drive" which he wrote and guest starred Bryan Cranston.

Post #: 16
- 7/10/2013 10:01:42 AM   
ebrown2112

Homeland collapsed in the second half of season two because of idiotic writing and unsympathetic leads.

Post #: 17
Why all these old shows? - 7/10/2013 10:12:49 AM   
ThatOtherGuy

A lot of them are fine examples of good TV but here's a thought. Why don't you step up and call out some new shows that you think might replace Breaking Bad? Or at least new shows that are worth checking out.

There is a lot of buzz around Ray Donovan which just finished it's first season. I really enjoyed it and the acting and writing is top notch. John Voight is amazing in it. Masters Of Sex is promising. Orphan Black, while I am not a fan is getting good reviews. I am also looking forward to Ron Moore's Helix and Outlander shows.

Post #: 18
RE: - 7/10/2013 10:19:55 AM   
ThatOtherGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ebrown2112

Homeland collapsed in the second half of season two because of idiotic writing and unsympathetic leads.

quote:

Totally agree with you. It just got farcical. they should of changed the name of the show to The Adventures Of Americas Sweatiest Ginger Terrorist featuring Crazy McBugEyes and the Reassuring Beard!

Totally agree with you. It just got farcical. they should of changed the name of the show to The Adventures Of Americas Sweatiest Ginger Terrorist featuring Crazy McBugEyes and the Reassuring Beard!

(in reply to ebrown2112)
Post #: 19
- 7/10/2013 10:57:50 AM   
ash333

How are you not putting Boardwalk on the list? I really enjoyed Breaking Bad but Boardwalk is a far more accomplished creation both in terms of setting and character development.. Of your list I would recommend The Shield to anyone who hasn't seen it. 'Ridiculous Solutions to Insurmountable Problems' should be the tagline. It gets steadily more mental as it goes along but steadily more enjoyable and addictive with it.

Post #: 20
Definitely a few missing here - 7/10/2013 12:51:24 PM   
soxlade

Homeland jumped the shark in the middle of season 2 and Luther, Idris Elba aside, wasn't as great as it should have been...

Anyway, where's "Hell on Wheels", "Battlestar Galactica", "Boardwalk Empire" "The Walking Dead" and "Game of Thrones"

Post #: 21
quit crying - 7/10/2013 1:53:11 PM   
satangotmylungs

rectify,carnivale,rome...... ray donovan is horrible...

Post #: 22
Mostly agree, but... - 7/10/2013 2:55:09 PM   
antsdavies

... Justified is a bit bland. I stopped watching after three eps. Why not stick in something with real staying power, like BSG?

And I'm not sure you should include series that haven't concluded yet. Homeland is great, only just starting season 3, and I'm not sure where it's heading. Feels a bit rudderless, but hopefully they'll have an endgame. Game of Thrones, I'm sure, will be in there eventually, but likewise, it needs to end before you can judge it properly.

I loved The Shield, though - a very underrated show.

Post #: 23
The Americans - 7/10/2013 3:30:43 PM   
ronniem

So glad to see The Americans on here...very well rounded show. The characters have so much backstory they could all have spin-offs. The acting is nuanced and the production values are exquisite, considering it's set in the 80s. I also go back to my Rome boxset regularly...I still can't believe they cancelled that show. The acting in particular was on a whole different level.

Post #: 24
Get political - 7/10/2013 4:33:49 PM   
jamesheal

Sons of Anarchy is way too cheesy, Homeland is way OTT and Luther too clunky.

Get political - Boss season 1 was excellent, yet no one watched it. House of Cards is actually very similar, but far more known about thanks to Netflix/Spacey - both well worth watching for BB-style central (bad) guy performances.

You can't not go and seek out some of Vince Gilligan's work on X Files if you haven't seen them before BB - particularly 'Drive', the episode where he first worked with Bryan Cranston, and which convinced him he could ride out the 'Malcolm's Dad' associations. X Files had some great closed-ended episodes (e.g. the non-geeky non-series-mythology episodes).

Post #: 25
Six Feet Under? shame - 7/10/2013 6:01:00 PM   
deTuinman

Six Feet Under is maybe the best comedy drama hbo ever made

Post #: 26
The Shield - 8/10/2013 4:42:34 PM   
Bobby TwoTimes

Glad to see The Shield on here - hands down one of the best shows i've ever seen. Got widely ignored at the time because it was on Channel 5 (which mostly showed crap), but in hindsight, you have to take your hat off to them for bagging such a cracker! Anyone that likes The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones and other benchmark shows like them, you really need to watch The Shield. Top show in every respect!

Post #: 27
RE: The Shield - 9/10/2013 12:51:08 PM   
BelfastBoy

Gotta be BSG, but here's a blast from the past if you fancy some morally ambigious, complicated characterisation. Babylon 5 had plenty of this, as well as being (IMO) the most exquisite example of the story arc I've ever encountered, scifi or otherwise.

But seriously Empire, ANOTHER feature in some way inspired by Breaking Bad? How many have there been now? Have the staff only recently become aware of the show's existence or something?!

(in reply to Bobby TwoTimes)
Post #: 28
- 9/10/2013 8:04:40 PM   
Craigmustdie

Seen 'em all bar The Americans, will get on it. My top 3 shows of all time were pretty untouchable for a while, #1 The Wire, #2 Deadwood, #3 The Sopranos, only in the last year has Breaking Bad nudged The Sopranos from that top 3. I gave up on Justified after season 1, case-of-the-week just doesn't do it for me after so many great HBO series with real, complex story arcs, glad to hear it improves later, will give it another shot. As for Boardwalk Empire, it's great but not close to being as involving as Breaking Bad, I care about maybe 1 character in Boardwalk, I was heavily invested in everyone in Breaking Bad. That, for me anyway, is the difference between a very good show and true greatness.

Post #: 29
- 9/10/2013 8:09:20 PM   
Craigmustdie

Oh, and The Shield is indeed great. Totally agree that improves season by season, its final set of episodes being its crowning achievement. Walton Goggins kinda steals the final two seasons from Chiklis imo, and Jay Karnes is fantastic too. Before Breaking Bad I considered The Shield my favourite non-HBO show, now it's my second fave but still has a pretty solid place in my all time top ten.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Easing The Pain: Shows To Watch After Breaking Bad Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI