Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Gravity

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Gravity Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gravity - 20/11/2013 11:03:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

The irony being...you don't actually need any more.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 61
RE: RE: - 20/11/2013 11:04:04 PM   
piginapoke

**spoilers **

Random views of it but you get the gist.

Stunning aurally and visually.

Destruction of the ISS was horrific to watch, that would be the only reason i would watch it again to be honest.

Dialogue somewhat limited

Wasnt expecting clooneys exit. Was pleased to see him return but then dashed hopes again.

Film of the year for me primarily because it had all of 2 people and unbelievable tension to carry the film (ok there was 3 but he was cannon/debris fodder early on)

Love the wide shot showing the returning debris storm towards the end.

Could a re entry vehicle really survive that tumbling at the end?

Smoke is a serious hazard so why remove your helmet at the end?

Those airlocks fling open a bit too many times for me.

When you have no oxygen left, get in the ISS! You found enough energy to eventually get in so why not do it a minute sooner?

Talking of countdowns, by the time she got to zero from five, the space station would have been long gone past.

Didnt she mind the fire starting in the ISS when she went past it?

What happened at the end of the countdown in the re entry vehicle. Nothing given it was still attached to the chinese space station.

At the end of the day, what was achieved by the woofing and howling?

I also thought she would get eaten by a shark at the end :-).

The ping pong bat was unnecessary. Yes, we know its the Chinese spaceship. Talking of which it was rather more developed than it is now and yet the shuttle is still plodding along in the film. Alternative reality, that explains Clooneys Obi Wan style appearance and motivational speech.

Too many mini disasters maybe, going to the 2nd space station was a little repetitive as a 'dilemma' in hindsight but at the time it worked for me. but the tension for most parts was extremely high.

Do Russians have alcohol on board?

Films seen this year

Wreck it Ralph - 3/5
Evil Dead 3/5

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 62
RE: Gravity - 20/11/2013 11:11:32 PM   
JCisJD

Personally it wasn't so much about expectation more about my imagination and I guess that can go where it wishes! Even to the point of the alligator scene being left on the cutting room floor. Take care spam;)

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 63
RE: HOME TRUTHS.... - 25/11/2013 7:51:42 PM   
Vitamin F

Gravity shows that even the most slender of plots (actually there isn't a plot, there's merely a premise) can produce a magnificent film. A visual and aural masterpiece which has been conceived and directed to a near perfect degree.
You can make this as profound as you want because the scenario is wide open to metaphoric interpretation, but you aren't compelled to do that when the film is so stunning to just see and hear, it just depends what mood you're in I suppose.
An easy 9/10.
Post #: 64
Gravity - 27/11/2013 7:06:05 PM   
The Cosmochimp

I agree 100% with what was said in that review. Easily the best film of the year. The best way to se it is in IMAX 3D were the enormous screen and terrrific sound immerse you in the film

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 65
Forget film of the year.. Film of the decade!! - 28/11/2013 1:11:55 AM   
Jack Ryan

Cut the bull shit about lack of plot or weak script. Its a film about an astronaught stranded in outer-space what exactly do people want? Gun toting aliens?.. The film is stunning. Like punch you in the stomach stunning. It took me ten minutes to peel my chin off the floor at the end the cinematography will not be matched for years to come. As for the 3d, easily the finest film of it's kind and a reminder of how powerful a 3d movie can be when it's done right. Exceptional film making.

Post #: 66
Over Rated! - 28/11/2013 9:37:30 AM   
Stevenski Chan

Gravity is a phenomenal looking film with astonishing audio & probably the best use of 3D ever.
However it suffers from having a cliched, cheesey script & paper thin characterisation that prevented me from caring about the character's fate in the slightest. This also made me constantly 'tut' & shake my head.
I would have preferred to watch it with no speaking to be honest.

Post #: 67
RE: Over Rated! - 29/11/2013 6:35:05 AM   
BigKovacs

I have no issue with the lack of plot or hard characterisation, Gravity is a disaster movie. As long as there's enough for us to care slightly for the survivors, the dilemma is what's important and in that sense Gravity delivers. It's not quite 5 stars for me but I'd give it a strong 4, it threw us from claustrophobia to agrophobia in seconds and reminded us jut how much of a bastard space is.

And rating this beneath Mission to Mars is like putting The Abyss beneath The Poseidon adventure remake.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Stevenski Chan)
Post #: 68
RE: Over Rated! - 29/11/2013 5:45:20 PM   
REALLYMAD

Loved it!

Right from the opening shot, slow moving panoramic of the earth below, zooming to the shuttle, and the long long takes that Cuaron does so well, just beautiful cinematography. With that vista filling my entire field of vision I could almost feel myself floating out there with them. And that has NEVER happened to me before. Without doubt the finest execution of 3D to date.

From a sensationlism perspective NASA missions started going off the boil years ago; remember American TV stations not even showing Apollo 13's mission until the accident? Humanity becomes more fickle with every innovation, indeed the only shuttle missions remembered by most were the disasters. And if you've ever watched footage then you'll know that there isn't much 'action', which bores the pants off most people in an X-Box generation. Mission dialogue was kept concise, practical and to a minimum, most likely to preserve oxygen but also I'd imagine because of the concentration levels akin to working in a dangerous environment. And I felt all of that danger even at the start with Bullock's dicky nausea as a novice. Clooney waxing lyrical, bombing about on his jetpack and not giving a shit about protocols let you know he was an old hand in control on his last mission.
So, for all those reasons I disagree with the script criticisms. It was authentic.

We've 'seen' so many disasters in space, borne mostly from great adventures with dogfights and laser beams. Gravity isn't using future tech, that shit is up there right now and the realism notched up the tension tenfold. I was holding my breath with them! In real life all it takes to create a disaster in space is the wrong trajectory and no corrective propulsion.

Most impressive CGI yet. Sparse but effective dialogue, creating the right blend of realism and fear, brilliant performances by the A-listers adding depth in a spacesuit (hardly ever seen), superb soundtrack pushing you back into your seat...

Loved it!

< Message edited by REALLYMAD -- 29/11/2013 5:46:13 PM >

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 69
Great Visuals - 2/12/2013 12:40:09 PM   
Staffordshire

Gravity 3-D has great visuals for an obvious reason (the film is shot in 3D). Unfortunately the plot, for the duration I did manage to see, was lousy. How the cameraman manage to remain steady while space junk was pulverising everyone and everything remains a mystery to me. Seriously though, what really finished off the screening I attended was the ear splitting soundtrack coming through the theatre speakers. I had to leave the theatre to prevent my eardrums perforating. It would appear that I am going to have to wait for the 2D DVD release to catch up on the rest of the plot (and switching on the subtitles to follow the ridiculous dialogue). Would someone please like to let me know why George Clooney's character did not know where Sandra Bullock's character lived in the USA?

Post #: 70
RE: Great Visuals - 2/12/2013 8:07:25 PM   
barracute

****Contains Spoilers****

I have to say i agree with Empire's 5 star review, i was captivated from start to finish, yes its basically a series of perils with thin characterisation, but what a visual trip it is! Bullock was great throughout, Clooney was just Clooney but then thats all he needed to be. Definitely needs to be seen on the big screen. The best bit was the chinese Station being torn apart while Ryan was cutting the parachute off the escape pod. The dream sequence could have been a bit naff but worked as it was a geniune surprise, the novel use of the fire extinguisher while maybe not 100% realistic was genius soon after! I do have one question though, we heard her talking (and doing doggie impressions) with the Chinese Station, but when she go there it was empty - so who was she talking too? and yes i know there is a short movie of the other side of the conversation (havent seen it) but that doesnt seem to explain it?

(in reply to Staffordshire)
Post #: 71
Metal hurlants - 9/12/2013 10:48:06 PM   
MyNameIsGerry

****Contains Spoilers**** I liked this quite a lot, with reservations. the visuals were just great and there was some good attention to small details. The dialogue wasn't too sparkling but then poets and philosophers don't usually staff spacecraft, When it went down to one character I thought that that would lessen the interest too..no banter between Clooney and Bullock. I couldn't believe that the fault was all laid at the door of those pesky Russkies. What is this 1955? I did think that most viewers would probably have voted for the Clooney character to be the survivor, and I see some talk of alligators at the end- I half expected that too, or a hungry lion. Still, I'd watch it in 3D again, happily.

Post #: 72
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 31/12/2013 9:37:37 AM   
chang

Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical 2001, but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 73
Space Marmite - 31/12/2013 3:23:06 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this hyper-tense experience (both our hands were crushed by the end). However, a friend thought it was the worse film he has ever seen. It's the marmite of outer space films. You're either going to enjoy it or loathe it. 4 Stars (would have been 5, but it was one handhold away from full emotional investment).

Post #: 74
why 5 stars? - 6/1/2014 7:20:02 PM   
Gram Woods

No way does this deserve 5. It's not bad but good visuals aren't enough. Iwasnt right impressed but it was an ok 90 mins

Post #: 75
Stunning! - 10/1/2014 8:59:18 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

It's about time people that actually appreciate cinema started to outweigh all these clueless trolls that jump on the internet to instantly criticise films that are - judging by the 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, the 8.3 on IMDB and the 96 Metascore - quite clearly NOT shit. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and there are obviously going to be people that don't like it as much as others, but anyone that gives a film like this 1 star is, quite frankly, a c*nt! Many of us were not even around when such stunning breakthroughs in Cinema were born - Silent Movies, Black & White, Technicolor - so to say there has not been as stunning an achievement as 'Gravity' in my life is an understatement. I was blown away by it and the performances, effects, 3D and the overall sheer feeling of having watched something really special i had upon leaving the Cinema has not been felt in a very long time. I would say not since 'The Matrix' (99) or 'Jurassic Park' (93) have i felt such a feeling of wonder. Giving a film like this 1 star is completely ridiculous and i appreciate why some people would only judge it to be worth 3/4 stars, but for me, it's worth every one of it's 5 stars and has set the bar very high for the next couple of decades.

Post #: 76
Am I missing something? - 25/1/2014 11:45:53 AM   
Daniel Barclay

Having watched Gravity, I then headed to Empire to see if we tallied, as I usually do but when I got there I had to double check I had hit the right film. 5* and "Film of the Year"! Now, this was undoubtedly a decent movie, with beautiful scenery and a stellar cast of two but I did not see ANYTHING that would elevate it to a 4* movie let alone Empire's review and I cannot believe this is in the best picture category for an Oscar.

This movie has some needless dialogue and riddled with seen-so-often before one thing after another sequences and other clichés. *Spoiler* Clooney disappears early on leaving one cast member, and while she is far from bad, it is hardly an extraordinary performance. There was nothing new, gripping or thrilling in this movie. The little tension there was, was all too familiar and it is because of this that I challenge the reviews and hype surrounding this movie.

Post #: 77
The Hype's Justified. - 28/1/2014 7:32:51 PM   
Litshttam

If the object of desire's to survive, then Gravity's the new benchmark. If shooting in 3D, then Gravity's the new benchmark.

See it.

Post #: 78
Bullock just doesn't do it for me - 25/2/2014 9:48:33 PM   
ctjbush

She's better in a chick flick comedy. I knew this movie was a letdown when I found myself happy when George Clooney came back from the dead. Besides, all the spinning made me dizzy and drop the popcorn.

Post #: 79
One of the Best FIlms of the Year!!!!! - 27/2/2014 7:22:59 PM   
Ciaran McDaid

Cuaron made one hell of a Space EPIC!!!!

Post #: 80
Cant explain my reasons, but......... - 3/3/2014 1:38:23 PM   
guysalisbury

........It seems that this film was universally loved by women and men thought it was ok. I got told off by a friend of mine for calling it a chick flick, especially when I found it hard to justify my reasons. Fact of the matter is, girls seemed to enjoy it more than boys. Looked stunning. Hard to deny that!

Post #: 81
RE: Cant explain my reasons, but......... - 8/3/2014 10:18:32 PM   
UTB

Just watched on Blu. Visually terrific, brilliant performance from Bullock, but christ was the birth symbolism heavy handed. First the womb pose, then the cutting the umbilical cord scene (parachute stuck), baby steps at the end...

It's not often I actually get any intended symbolism from a film but this might have well been flashing up in subtitles every 10 minutes.

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 82
RE: Cant explain my reasons, but......... - 10/3/2014 8:01:01 AM   
jonson

Just watched this at home last night (in 2D)
Breathtaking, I was hooked from the first shot of the Earth, and that first 20 odd minutes was incredible, what cinema was made for.
I wish I'd seen this in 3D now as I think a lot was lost in 2D.
It was such a shame they fucked up everything else really. I could happily ignore the various annoyances as I was enjoying the show, until Bullock did the eeny meeny mini moo bit in the Chinese station and that was 1 step too far for me.
It felt like a film made by 2 different people at times. 1 who wanted to put iconic imagery on film, and succeeded many times, and then someone who was just having a laugh.
Such a shame, such a waste. It was almost as if someone said "this film will win Oscars, but if not, lets make sure we clear up at the Razzies as well"
If only they'd employ the same people who made Apollo 13 so believable.

My favourite and least favourite film of the year.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 83
RE: Cant explain my reasons, but......... - 12/3/2014 11:16:30 PM   
kumar

Caught this late at the weekend in 3D. Fantastic little film, really could have watched more, though not sure more of what...

Ive never been caught up in suspense throughout an entire film before. I had sweaty palms all the way through. That music that kicked in as the debris approached again, like the Jaws theme really did give my heart a little kick. The end was fantastic too, part of me did expect her not to make it, but when Sandra is on the beach, learning to walk again, I almost felt like I was experiencing the same physical feeling. If I said I felt like I was in space with them, would anyone else empathize?

There were a couple of odd moments which stuck out - mainly as I had seen them before in other movies - Mission to Mars and Walle, though definately not enough to spoil my enjoyment. Glad I saw it in the cinema.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 84
RE: Gravity - 7/5/2014 11:01:22 PM   
JohnChard

Looks fake, too short at 80 minutes in actual run time, but has an edge of seat drama about it to keep one interested. I thought it was merely a decent watch but having not seen it in 3D maybe I missed out on something amazing given all the hyperbole fawning going on.

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 85
RE: Gravity - 12/5/2014 2:29:11 PM   
JJTyler

I thought this film was stunning, I did at times find the dialogue difficult to follow but the plot was gripping. I understand why some may not agree, but to me it was a brilliant film

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 86
RE: Gravity - 15/5/2014 12:10:41 PM   
Claire Bradley

In spite of the lack of plot that make the film a bit boring. it has great special effects that its make worth to watch and of course in 3D.

For sure its not one of the best Cuaron's film compared to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and "Y tu mamá Tambičn" but I sure he achive to keep the viewers have been caught up in suspense hte whole film even if the final was not the one I expect it.

(in reply to JJTyler)
Post #: 87
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 21/5/2014 12:27:09 PM   
jobloffski

Spoiler below

In 3D at the cinema. Loved it.

On 2D Blu Ray. Liked it

Third watch. Good effects, but tedious rambling characterisation to move it along to the next set piece.

Fourth Watch: Sound off with a soundtrack on stereo made up of Daft Punk (around the world, immediately followed by the entirety of Random Access Memories). Surprisingly appropriate sometimes, at others, really really funny. Try it. Start the music the moment you see the words LIFE IN SPACE IS IMPOSSIBLE

Fifth Watch, will happen according to 4th watch conditions, next time I have a gathering.

Ultimately, as an effects showcase, the film is pretty good. But it is lamer with every watch, to the point where the 'now what' nature of the narrative had me joking to a mate that tall the film lacks is a hungry bear waiting for her when she gets to her feet after crawling out of the sea.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 21/5/2014 12:30:23 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 88
Gravity - 2/7/2014 9:45:13 PM   
rocheyb

I don't agree that this film is weak in either plot or characterisation. We are told enough about the situation to understand the peril that Stone and Kowalsky are in and we witness that peril change and escalate as the various misfortunes occur throughout the narrative.

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

Personally, I don't need a character or an actor to earn my empathy. I just need to know who I am supposed to be routing for and while that can occasionally be problematic with some films, in this case it was obvious. I really don't need to know her favourite colour or anything else that is external to her ability or willingness to survive - the dead daughter back story throwing some doubt on the latter and consequently lending believable weight to her brief surrender to circumstance when she turns off the oxygen in the Chinese station. The Clooney re-appearance jarred with me a little; I have since heard this dream-sequence scene explained by the director as her sub-conscious reminding her of the information she needed to survive, that she already knew as a result of her training.

The film is short, by modern standards, tight and tense from beginning to end. I did not find the music particularly intrusive, but this may be because I watched it on BluRay at home rather than at the mercy of blaring cinema audio. No 3D for me then, but I watched it in the dark at night to get the full splendour of those HD visuals on our flatscreen TV and enjoyed the experience immensely.

Themes of re-birth and evolution run strongly through the film's imagery (though I'm annoyed with my slow uptake that it required the BluRay Extras to make that particular penny finally drop!) and I think Sandra Bullock - who, strangely for Hollywood, is age-appropriate for her character - gave a compelling performance in what was a largely physical role with moments of believable emotional depth.

Whether you enjoyed Gravity or not, I would recommend to you an 11-minute short film called Dust (20

Post #: 89
Gravity: An Excellent Film - 2/7/2014 9:47:07 PM   
rocheyb

...an 11-minute short film called Dust (2011, Dir: Ben Lavington-Martin) which serves as an excellent companion piece. An American space-race era astronaut is stranded on the moon with no hope of rescue. He talks to NASA control while the command module carrying his colleague back to Earth is still within range and his oxygen supply slowly diminishes. It won several short film awards and is available on that fruit-flavoured portal of all media that is digital (...the explicit naming of which I think is responsible for my earlier post being sliced in half!). You might be able to find it elsewhere for free, but there are several short films with the same name.

< Message edited by rocheyb -- 2/7/2014 9:52:22 PM >

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Gravity Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI