Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Out of this World!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Out of this World! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Out of this World! - 11/11/2013 7:07:38 PM   
hampstead bandit

saw the trailers and looked forward to seeing this for some time, thought it looked amazing in those trailers with the debris strike!

the director has previous form, Children of Men is a fantastic film, easily one of my favourites especially on Blu-Ray

so I went to see Gravity this afternoon, opted to see this in 3D at an Odeon cinema on a really big screen.

As with previous films I have seen in 3D, unfortunately found the 3D in Gravity to somewhat reduce brightness and contrast, even though the 3D effects were well done. Also noticed some annoying artifacts / glare on the inside of my right lens, from those tiny lights up high in the roof of the cinema. Never understood why they don't turn them off completely for screenings.

Would like to see this again at home in 2D on Blu-Ray to get a proper look at the special effects.

Visually it was stunning (despite the murk of the 3D glasses) but the film itself did not blow me away, I came away feeling a bit empty.

Cannot really put my finger on it, but just felt something important was missing to make this a classic?

I am a huge fan of anything involving space and own a huge collection of Blu-Ray and DVD with many space (NASA) and sci-fi films and TV series, but this one gets 3/5 from me.
Post #: 31
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 1:23:26 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Im glad i was able to see it and enjoy it without having to wear silly 3d specs and having the picture be dimmed by the effect.My recommendation is to see it on the biggest screen you can but forego the 3D.Dont even think of waiting for the dvd of this one folks.

I hate 3D and was reluctant to see this in the format but my local didn't have a 2D option. The 3D is fantastic, certainly the best I have seen and I didn't notice any dimming this time round. They really made an effort to get the 3D to work and they succeeded. I'll probably never go to the cinema to see a 3D film again if I can help it but I am glad I saw this. It is certainly a film to see on the big screen, I agree but I would recommend the 3D, just this once.(although 2D is good too)

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 32
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 1:45:19 AM   
Zatoichi

--SPOILERS--

As has been said a million times, visually, the movie is stunning. Those long shots - so engaging! Unfortunately, I felt there was little more to the film than that. And this is from someone who was REALLY looking forward to it. In fact, the only further praise I have is for Sandra Bullock. A very natural performance. It's a shame then that she was lumbered with such uninteresting dialogue.

Fans of Gravity might say the film was about the VISUAL EXPERIENCE and not the script, but that's setting a pretty low standard for cinema. Maybe it's just me (I suspect it's not) but impressive visuals are worth nothing when there's so little substance, and overall, the story felt very paint-by-numbers. To the space station! Oh no, big rocks! To the NEXT space station! Oh shit, more rocks, how unfortunately timed! Now I may hear you say 'well, SOMETHING had to happen besides them just floating in space' - I tried this rationalisation myself - but that just proves to me that the whole film was, in the end, rather pointless.

My biggest fear going into the cinema was that it would turn out to be dull. After the opening, I thought I was in for a great experience. By the end, I was bored and completely unengaged. Shame.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 33
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 8:57:32 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

--SPOILERS--

Fans of Gravity might say the film was about the VISUAL EXPERIENCE and not the script, but that's setting a pretty low standard for cinema. Maybe it's just me (I suspect it's not) but impressive visuals are worth nothing when there's so little substance, and overall, the story felt very paint-by-numbers. To the space station! Oh no, big rocks! To the NEXT space station! Oh shit, more rocks, how unfortunately timed! Now I may hear you say 'well, SOMETHING had to happen besides them just floating in space' - I tried this rationalisation myself - but that just proves to me that the whole film was, in the end, rather pointless.

No it isn't. Cinema is primarily a visual medium. Story (contrary to popular opinion) is a secondary one, or at the very least, is driven by the visuals and not necessarily the script - especially with films like this. That doesn't mean that films cannot succeed if they aren't visually led, but by the same token, they shouldn't be accused of failure if they are.

I respect and understand that the vast majority of the cinema-going public require one to be engaged, but I don't think targeting the lack of an intricate plot or dialogue that rolls off the tongue (or whatever) is a fair criticism in this regard. The plot is the situation and vice versa, it doesn't need to be anything more complex than that and any deviation runs the risk of complicating matters needlessly.

If you're wanting more fleshed out story-telling in space, that's where things like the rebooted version of Battlestar Galactica come into play. Personally, if I'm really bothered about getting swept up by a story or compelling characters, that's where television or literature always trumps cinema - for fairly obvious reasons.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 34
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 3:28:39 PM   
7eke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

--SPOILERS--

No it isn't. Cinema is primarily a visual medium. Story (contrary to popular opinion) is a secondary one, or at the very least, is driven by the visuals and not necessarily the script - especially with films like this. That doesn't mean that films cannot succeed if they aren't visually led, but by the same token, they shouldn't be accused of failure if they are.

I respect and understand that the vast majority of the cinema-going public require one to be engaged, but I don't think targeting the lack of an intricate plot or dialogue that rolls off the tongue (or whatever) is a fair criticism in this regard. The plot is the situation and vice versa, it doesn't need to be anything more complex than that and any deviation runs the risk of complicating matters needlessly.

If you're wanting more fleshed out story-telling in space, that's where things like the rebooted version of Battlestar Galactica come into play. Personally, if I'm really bothered about getting swept up by a story or compelling characters, that's where television or literature always trumps cinema - for fairly obvious reasons.

Completely agree with you Qwerty, this film succeeded in what intended to do which was to draw you into this seemingly impossible situation and evoke a feeling hopelessness. Raw, simplistic, and emotional it was meant to be, which paired nicely with the complexity of technical ability on show.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. - Ron Burgundy

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 35
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 4:44:08 PM   
Zatoichi

We'll have to agree to disagree then, as much as I hate reeling out that old cliche. Personally, I don't think it even succeeded on YOUR terms, but that's the thing, isn't it - we all have our own opinions. I'm not even saying the visuals didn't grab me. They did. Gravity has one of the best openings I've ever seen for exactly that reason. But for a film to sustain itself, I think it needs to offer more as it goes along, and once the hopelesness/loneliness of space had worn off on me, I found it a completely empty experience. And I DON'T mean the emptiness of space.

I don't take back my 'low standard' comment either, yet I agree with you - cinema IS primarily a visual medium. Contradiction? Perhaps. In the end, all I have is how I personally experienced the film, and no amount of technical ability was able to draw me back into it once my attention wavered.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to 7eke)
Post #: 36
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 5:12:35 PM   
Azzurro06

quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree then, as much as I hate reeling out that old cliche. Personally, I don't think it even succeeded on YOUR terms, but that's the thing, isn't it - we all have our own opinions. I'm not even saying the visuals didn't grab me. They did. Gravity has one of the best openings I've ever seen for exactly that reason. But for a film to sustain itself, I think it needs to offer more as it goes along, and once the hopelesness/loneliness of space had worn off on me, I found it a completely empty experience. And I DON'T mean the emptiness of space.

I don't take back my 'low standard' comment either, yet I agree with you - cinema IS primarily a visual medium. Contradiction? Perhaps. In the end, all I have is how I personally experienced the film, and no amount of technical ability was able to draw me back into it once my attention wavered.

100% agree with you Zatoichi. Cinema is primarily a visual medium and Gravity is meant to be, primarily, a visual "thrill ride", but the movie shot its load in the first 20 minutes. There was nothing that came later on a visual level that wowed me, and without a decent script to keep you engaged in the characters, it's a pretty dire and boring escape movie.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 37
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 5:52:09 PM   
MDG_78

I can understand where some of the criticism is coming from (always the way when a film is so 'hyped' and anticipated) BUT I always saw Gravity as being a movie experience, that you go to and put on the glasses and just chill out and then...forget. Some people will take more from it than that but this isn't a film that will be watched year after year on tv's, laptops, tablets etc unlike a Lord of the Rings or an Indiana Jones. This is IT and you'd better enjoy it because there's no second go.

The film is visually tremendous (Northern lights incredibly beautiful at the same time as our two 'heroes' face a perilous journey) and Bullock is definitely a sympathetic character, how can you not root for her?! The film does though lack something for me, not sure what it is but maybe if i watch it again at home in HD I may be able to put my finger on it.

Would still recommend this film to anyone, after all at only 90 mins even if you were crazy enough to hate it at least it's short!

8/10

(in reply to Azzurro06)
Post #: 38
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 6:17:43 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7eke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

--SPOILERS--

Completely agree with you Qwerty, this film succeeded in what intended to do which was to draw you into this seemingly impossible situation and evoke a feeling hopelessness. Raw, simplistic, and emotional it was meant to be, which paired nicely with the complexity of technical ability on show.

Are you talking about Gravity or Dark Star? (Not the last line obviously).

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to 7eke)
Post #: 39
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 10:04:13 PM   
hampstead bandit

well I've been thinking a bit more about why this film did not grab me, and have to reference a film that many did not like, 'Mission to Mars'.

With Mission to Mars (a film I actually like) the big difference between this and gravity, is that I felt attached to the characters in Mission to Mars, especially the roles played by Tim Robbins and Gary Sinese.

The hard science in Mars was pretty well done (Gravity was pretty wobbly in this respect:- the amount of fuel needed to change what are very different orbits, lethal contact speeds between astronauts and ships, using a fire extinguisher?), and despite the Mars film going a bit wobbly at the end with the aliens, it had an emotional punch that I felt Gravity was really lacking.

With Gravity I did not care for the characters, because we did not get to know them

I always feel this is a major failing of any film, whether action or arthouse, if you do not care for the protagonists?

I could have cared less whether Sandra Bullocks' Dr Ryan Stone lived or died. The character played by George Clooney was more likeable because it seemed to be a stereotype of other similiar characters we've seen before, and George Clooney has a natural warmth / charisma to him.

The film seemed to be lacking "jeopardy" despite all the batshit stuff going on outside the spaceships

Would still like to see it again in 2D at home once the Blu-Ray is released.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 40
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 12/11/2013 11:26:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

It is the hopelessness of the situation that is supposed to make you care. We don't need to know their entire backstory, they are human beings in a horrible situation with very little chance of getting saved and going home, that's enough. I think the film would lose something (and gain unneeded running time) if we had, say, a scene meeting everyone in the space station. We don't even have to know what Shariff looked like before he gets his face caved in, the photo of him and his family we see at the same time does that for us. I thought it was a great touch.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 41
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 13/11/2013 8:25:32 AM   
Scruffybobby

Indeed we don't really need complex characterisation, or plot for that matter. The situation is the story.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 42
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 13/11/2013 9:03:53 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Wait,Someone actually liked 'Mission To Mars'?

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 43
RE: The Coldplay of sci-fi - 13/11/2013 12:01:38 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Wait,Someone actually liked 'Mission To Mars'?

More worryingly someone thought the hard science was done well in Mission to Mars...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 44
RE: Gravity - 13/11/2013 12:23:43 PM   
MonsterCat

I haven't seen Mission to Mars in a long time (the one time was enough) but there was sound in space in that film, right?

Yeah, clearly the adherence to science in that film was second to none.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 45
RE: Gravity - 14/11/2013 10:46:54 AM   
No Diggity

cliche of the week....brilliant but flawed....well worth the watch, but its not just space thats empty...and ripping of wall-e just felt wrong....

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 46
RE: - 16/11/2013 11:37:55 AM   
Willy Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: fowler100

overated , not a patch on apollo 13 .

I agree, gravity is visually stunning but Apollo 13 is the better film.
Post #: 47
RE: Another entry in Empire's 5 star Hall of Shame - 16/11/2013 7:12:01 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonny24

The Hurt Locker
Public Enemies
Stoker
The Imposter
Superman Returns
Attack of the Clones
...these are just the ones I remember... shouldn't people get a good old fashioned P45 for this kind of aversion to doing their jobs properly?

What do you want, a film website that 100% aligns with your views on any given film? Good luck with that.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 48
RE: Another entry in Empire's 5 star Hall of Shame - 17/11/2013 3:45:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

The Hurt Locker
Public Enemies
Stoker
The Imposter
Superman Returns
Attack of the Clones
...these are just the ones I remember... shouldn't people get a good old fashioned P45 for this kind of aversion to doing their jobs properly?

For not agreeing with you? Empire weren't the only ones who liked The Imposter or Stoker or The Hurt Locker, all of which got praise from critics and punters. And they reviewed the films and gave them ratings, that is 'doing their job properly' just because you personally don't agree with them doesn't make them wrong.

Gravity deserves its 5 stars for technical brilliance alone. The film won't win awards for dialogue but it is an amazing cinema-going experience. Give me stuff like this over shite like Transformers any day of the week.

Post #: 49
RE: Another entry in Empire's 5 star Hall of Shame - 17/11/2013 11:43:43 PM   
Jonny24

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

The Hurt Locker
Public Enemies
Stoker
The Imposter
Superman Returns
Attack of the Clones

For not agreeing with you? Empire weren't the only ones who liked The Imposter or Stoker or The Hurt Locker, all of which got praise from critics and punters. And they reviewed the films and gave them ratings, that is 'doing their job properly' just because you personally don't agree with them doesn't make them wrong.

Gravity deserves its 5 stars for technical brilliance alone. The film won't win awards for dialogue but it is an amazing cinema-going experience. Give me stuff like this over shite like Transformers any day of the week.

Transformers is shite but at least doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. Gravity's equally vacant below the surface, and I disagree about the effects, they're nothing special. In an effects driven movie they do the job, no more no less. It needed a good story. Why should any movie get a free pass if the narrative and dialogue is brain dead? 5 stars from Empire vs the 3 star average from Joe Public here says I'm not the only one seeing through the hype.

Post #: 50
RE: Another entry in Empire's 5 star Hall of Shame - 18/11/2013 6:48:56 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Transformers is shite but at least doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Wrong. It pretends to be a kids film, but it's a masterclass in misogyny.

quote:

It needed a good story.

Why?

It's a 90 minute film, portraying a situation and the experience that goes with it. Why is a "good story" absolutely necessary? To make you care? I thought being human would suffice? To be interested? Well that's a subjective matter. It's certainly not an objective one, as you seem to be insinuating.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 18/11/2013 6:53:56 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Jonny24)
Post #: 51
RE: Another entry in Empire's 5 star Hall of Shame - 18/11/2013 7:03:48 AM   
sanchia

Under Jonny's criteria it appears that his own opinion is as invalid as any Empire reviews one as it differs from someone elses view...

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 52
RE: Gravity - 18/11/2013 10:28:01 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

5 stars from Empire vs the 3 star average from Joe Public here says I'm not the only one seeing through the hype.

*twitch*

And where are you getting this 3 star average from Joe Public?

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Jonny24)
Post #: 53
RE: Another entry in Empire's 5 star Hall of Shame - 18/11/2013 4:27:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Transformers is shite but at least doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Neither does Gravity. It puts itself across as an experience, which it is.

quote:

Gravity's equally vacant below the surface, and I disagree about the effects, they're nothing special.

I know actual FX guys that would disagree with you on that one. Practically none of the film actually exists, all the space scenes were CG, even the bloody helmet visors were CG. It is an amazing achievment in FX.

quote:

It needed a good story. Why should any movie get a free pass if the narrative and dialogue is brain dead?

It isn't getting a pass with the bad dialogue which I agree is poor. It doesn't need a good story, it is a disaster movie. Human beings are trying to survive from seemingly inescapable danger. This film didn't need any more.

quote:

5 stars from Empire vs the 3 star average from Joe Public here says I'm not the only one seeing through the hype.

It gets 5 stars from me and I'm not a professional critic.

(in reply to Jonny24)
Post #: 54
RE: Gravity - 19/11/2013 12:53:25 AM   
RenownedForSound

Our reviewer didn't actually like this film at all. We found it to be very boring in fact. The special effects were great but the script was atrocious. I'm surprised at how many people are loving this film.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 19/11/2013 4:15:53 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 55
RE: Gravity - 19/11/2013 8:11:16 PM   
demoncleaner

Finally saw Gravity. Have no problem agreeing with the full-marks rating. Do we congratulate it for an attempt at a new cinema grammar? Well I don't know about that but all I know is I was sitting in a cinema seat and I'm experiencing a completely new, immersive, tangible atmosphere. All films have their own atmosphere, intended or otherwise and 9 times of 10 the atmos is an adjunct to the stylisation. With Gravity the sensory experience is everything and some audiences won't like that characters and story are demoted in favour of the nebulous planetarium "experience". I would be more cynical toward it, if it was just about "wow" visuals. But I actually found myself almost overwhelmed throughout with a sensory cocktail of personal distress and the beauty of the situation. I'm not talking about the peril, or caring about Sandra Bullock's survival. That's not what distressed me. It's like the idea of going deep-sea diving. I know I'd be amazed at how beautiful it would be, but that observation would only come if and when I could overcome the sheer panic of being out of my element. Watching Gravity was like a simulation of that. "Gee, this floating in space stuff is fantastic, look how gorgeous it all is...hang on a minute, no, it's effing terrifying" that was my total perpetually fluctuating response to it, and that was before the peril kicked in or before the will/she won't survival question became prevalent. For this, I think that the survival plot only accentuated the vulnerablility and the heebeejeebies that the environment alone gave me, and which Cuaron so majestically exploited. For this reason, it's one film that I will completely forgive for being slight on "normal" immersive story requirements.

(in reply to RenownedForSound)
Post #: 56
RE: Gravity - 20/11/2013 1:58:34 AM   
JCisJD

I get what your saying I did go there too, I did enjoy the atmosphere that was cleverly created allot!......... but........ were you not put off by that "where are you from" & "oh you lost your daughter" dialogue? As if he wouldnt have already Known that. Have to say it put me off to the point where at the end I thought "ok I get it, shes now symbolically reborn but is she now going to have to fend off an alligator?"

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 57
RE: Gravity - 20/11/2013 1:54:50 PM   
Pandora

Haha, who knows, maybe the alligator would have been revealed in the next scene?

I saw the movie yesterday and enjoyed it immensly. At first I was a bit put off by the clunky dialogue (which didn't improve too much over the course of the film) but I found the whole experience very gripping and satisfying. I needed the loo after the first half hour but managed to wait till the end of the movie because I didn't want to miss anything.

I thought Sandra Bullock was really good and George Clooney was...well...George Clooney.

The first movie where I thought 3D was a real plus. Great effects, great images.

Impressive, how American astronauts can also handle Chinese and Russian equipment. Is that realistic?? Not that I care too much but I was not sure if scientists of all three countries worked together? Certainly not during the Cold War...

(in reply to JCisJD)
Post #: 58
RE: Gravity - 20/11/2013 2:29:39 PM   
JCisJD

oR EVEN on the cutting room floor ......gosh the hunt for the alligator scene is on;)!

Did you get the whole rebirth thing or is that just in my imagination as I havnt seen that in any review yet. All the symbolism is there I think though what did George Carlin say about Symbolism? ah yes "ill leave symbols to the symbol minded people " Darn again.

Cuffed you enjoyed it Pandora, me too! like I said enough there for me to put aside the dodgy dialogue.

As for the multilingual control problems YES indeed; I have probs moving from a ford to a Toyota and thats all in English. Though I kind of thought; "well if the indicators and light switches are in the same place then its about hand to eye memory, rather than language", so i gave them that one;)

(in reply to Pandora)
Post #: 59
RE: Gravity - 20/11/2013 11:02:01 PM   
spamandham

Ahahahaha, I can't believe you numb-skulls are hyping this film up so much.

If you want to watch Bullock panic for 90 minutes in front of very good CGI, be my guest. Just don't expect anything more.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Out of this World! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI