Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blue Jasmine - 24/9/2013 11:53:41 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
2/5 - 24/9/2013 11:53:41 AM   
bereski

Blue Jasmine is 5, Manhattan is 4 ? Are you kidding right now? BJ is one of the Allen's poorest films.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
By far his best - 25/9/2013 11:10:19 AM   
Melbourne Dan

This is great film-making. None of the gimmicks of his recent hits, almost every character complex and realistic. Allen's always had a great ear for dialogue, but has almost always relied on having a central Woody Allen type character to anchor half of every conversation. There's no such character in this. He's now able to fully imagine realistic dialogue between a range of complex characters. He's writing characters of a kind, of a class, he hasn't tackled before and you keeping waiting for the bum notes, but they don't come.

The plot is borrowed, of course, but he's done beautifully with it. Just don't go in expecting a breezy comedy. There are laughs, but they are fraught, and he avoids his usual instinct to reassure. Magnificent.

Post #: 3
Every Other Allen - 25/9/2013 2:08:30 PM   
makeminemedia

Is it me or does every third woody allen film get called his best film in years? Having only seen his early stuff and his late stuff and the great documentary, I understand that during the 90s there was a bad run of films...but can't we just say "Woody Allen does another decent film."

Post #: 4
Review - 26/9/2013 2:03:51 PM   
Shosta

Film based on a play "A Street car named desire" that is why it is so powerfull! As his Match point ( i love it so much) cause based on " a American tradegy" by Theodor Dreiser with more real ending the evil gets away with the crime....reflects nowadays...

< Message edited by Shosta -- 26/9/2013 2:06:50 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Blue Jasmine - 28/9/2013 12:36:59 AM   
R W

In recent years when it comes to the work of Woody Allen, critics will always say that whatever new film he makes has been his best in years, whether it is the overrated Vicky Cristina Barcelona or the delightful fantasy Midnight in Paris. While there is the occasional duffer like Whatever Works, Mr Allen would make a big comeback which in this case, is Blue Jasmine.

Following her failed marriage to a financial crook, the former New York ultra-wealthy socialite Jasmine Francis (Cate Blanchett) moves in her adopted sister’s (Sally Hawkins) apartment in San Francisco. As Jasmine tries her best to make a financial comeback through jobs and courses, she hasn’t come over her nervous breakdown.

Despite its unintentional but noticeable similarities to Tennessee Williams’ A Streetcar Named Desire, Blue Jasmine is Woody Allen at his best. Although there are a few chuckles, this is purely drama as an examination of a woman of such high-class falling apart financially and mentally.

At its very first frame where we are introduced to the eponymous Jasmine, you can see she’s problematic as she tells her whole crisis to an elderly passenger on the plane. From start to finish, we are witnessing an extraordinary performance by Cate Blanchett who is utterly unlikable despite her past tragedies, as she criticises anyone she thinks are beneath her. Amongst the impressive supporting cast with big name stars like Alec Baldwin or TV comic talents like Louis C.K., the standout is our own Sally Hawkins doing a convincing New York accent as adopted sister Ginger whose story is just as important as Jasmine’s.

Approaching more towards drama than comedy, Woody Allen is interested in character rather than story, although the film does have a few surprises. Aside from his ability to create strong female characters, the strength in both screenwriting and direction is the clear cutting of the two time frames where we see Jasmine’s current situation in San Francisco and going back and forth with the flashbacks showing the collapse of her wealthy lifestyle.

Led by a standout and Oscar-deserving performance from Cate Blanchett – this may be an old saying – but Blue Jasmine is Allen’s best film in years.

Post #: 6
Worst. New Order tribute band. Ever. - 29/9/2013 6:34:15 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Cate Blanchett is giving a stunningly understated performance of someone who's lost their grip on reality, in a moving and thought-provoking film that subtly draws you into wanting to know more about her damaged character. Unfortunately, she seems to be alone in her endeavour (and I include Woody Allen in that).

Not funny enough to be a comedy; not deep enough to be a drama.

There. I said it.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 7
RE: Every Other Allen - 2/10/2013 11:32:01 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: makeminemedia

Is it me or does every third woody allen film get called his best film in years?

That's quite true, but on this evidence it really is his best in years.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMightyBlackout

Wrong on both counts.

...unless you were talking about filth?

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to makeminemedia)
Post #: 8
Save yourself the disappointment - 6/10/2013 7:09:44 PM   
Azzurro06

Despite what you may hear about the performance of Blanchett, which is fantastic, this does not a whole movie make. The story (what there is of it) is cliched beyond belief, straight out of world of Jackie Collins, Danielle Steel and Sidney Sheldon. The story of woe of the high flyer who has hit ground zero after her hubby is outed for criminal deeds (to boring to go into) and needs to use her feminine charms to pull another high society spiv. The story really is no deeper than that, despite what you may read. Dear me Woody, you can do way, way better than this.

Post #: 9
RE: Save yourself the disappointment - 10/10/2013 1:18:20 AM   
CriticNumberOne

I don't like Blanchett,but she's fantastic in this,she defies you not to feel sympathy.
Why are Woody's films always critiqued against previous work and not singularly?
This is raw,painful,slightly funny and a great exploration of a mental meltdown.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Azzurro06)
Post #: 10
my favourite Woody Allen movie... - 10/10/2013 9:35:41 PM   
tysmuse

... i have now seen two Woody Allen movies.

Blanchett gives one of the best performances I've ever watched.

Post #: 11
RE: Worst. New Order tribute band. Ever. - 16/10/2013 1:37:25 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Cate Blanchett is giving a stunningly understated performance of someone who's lost their grip on reality, in a moving and thought-provoking film that subtly draws you into wanting to know more about her damaged character. Unfortunately, she seems to be alone in her endeavour (and I include Woody Allen in that).

There. I said it.

New Order didn't make a song called Blue Jasmine, they made a song called Blue Monday.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 12
RE: Worst. New Order tribute band. Ever. - 24/10/2013 11:12:49 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

There. I said it.

New Order didn't make a song called Blue Jasmine, they made a song called Blue Monday.

Yes, I know :)

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 13
RE: Worst. New Order tribute band. Ever. - 5/11/2013 12:48:17 PM   
Pandora

I enjoyed the movie a lot - and Cate Blanchett's performance was great.

Every time Alec Baldwin was on screen, I kept thinking: "Oh look, it's Jack from 30 Rock!"

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 14
RE: Worst. New Order tribute band. Ever. - 5/11/2013 2:33:36 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

There. I said it.

Now you say. I was just about to go and slag off True Lies as being a piss-poor cover.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 15
RE: Worst. New Order tribute band. Ever. - 5/11/2013 2:39:08 PM   
MonsterCat

OMG YOU TWO GET YOUR NEW ORDER SONG TITLES RIGHT IF YOU'RE MAKING JOKES! [/buzzkill]

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 5/11/2013 2:40:49 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 16
Difficult stuff - 7/7/2014 1:19:17 AM   
emilyelizabeth1283

Cate Blanchett's performance in Blue Jasmine cut me open for a few days. The pit of my stomach grew heavy throughout the film and I simultaneously felt the weight and brilliance of her character, Jasmine. I love it when a character is able to tear me apart and pull from opposite ends. While I recognized Jasmine's destructive influence, I also felt sorry for her situation and hoped that she could somehow pull herself out of it, even if it was to go back to the superficial pampering that seems to be the only way of life she can handle. I think that even now there is hope for her, were she to confront her demons.

One of my most personal goals in life is learning compassion that is blind to everything except the commonality of being human. Every day I learn more about how society and our circumstances affect who we are as people. If two people get together in a relationship, one from a wealthy background and the other from a poor, there are going to be differences in world views. One feels a sense of support and tends to not worry too much about money problems, the other does everything in their power to climb as far away from where they started as possible, constantly worried about falling down again. This film deals with something that goes much deeper than money. We have to be careful when forming the bigger picture of our lives, because in that process we shape out of necessity the day to day and minute to minute. If we get too far away from this short term perspective, it molds into the long-term, which is essentially non-existent. At some point we realize that in order to make those things happen we have to work on them today. But if you are lucky enough to have things fall into your lap, like Jasmine, then what exactly are you living for?

This is what Jasmine says to me. In her case, there is nothing but emptiness, because in place of life's goals, which in her mind are already achieved, she idolizes the persona of success and validation in other peoples' e

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Blue Jasmine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI