Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 19/10/2013 11:38:28 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Shakycam is a abomination: it's pointless, stupid, unjustifiable, illogical [we can barely see what's happening] and makes me feel physical sick or have a bloody headache, and has no place in cinema except Found Footage. I will say that Greengrass did it better than most directors, up to Green Zone, where it got almost unbearable, and it sounds like it'll be the same with this film.

I respectfully & strongly disagree.

And it isn't....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 31
RE: Captain Phillips - 19/10/2013 1:10:52 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Shakycam is a abomination: it's pointless, stupid, unjustifiable, illogical [we can barely see what's happening] and makes me feel physical sick or have a bloody headache, and has no place in cinema except Found Footage. I will say that Greengrass did it better than most directors, up to Green Zone, where it got almost unbearable, and it sounds like it'll be the same with this film.

Well, handheld camera work is like everything else in film: if it's employed sensibly it can be effective in creating a sense of documentary like realism. It was certainly effective in films like United 93 and the opening thirty minutes of Saving Private Ryan, but then you get idiots like Bay who use it to cover to up shoddy CGI, and then Eon tried to employ that aesthetic for Quantum of Solace and the result was a confusing mess.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 19/10/2013 1:11:07 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 32
RE: Captain Phillips - 19/10/2013 6:11:01 PM   
R W

During the initial sequences of Captain Phillips, you realise you’re definitely in the territory of director Paul Greengrass as the film’s establishment of its two leads is similar to the beginning of Greenngrass’ 9/11 masterpiece United 93, in which we see the start of two worlds colliding, leading to one critical and political outcome.

Appointed as the captain of the MV Maersk Alabama, Richard Philips (Tom Hanks) and his new crew sail their cargo through the Gulf of Aden to Mombasa. Sailing through the coast of Somalia, four Somali pirates led by Abduwali Muse (Barkhad Abdi) hijack their ship and now Phillips and his men have to fight for survival.

While there is always a political undercurrent in many of Greengrass’ films, even to some extent in his Bourne sequels, his best works like United 93 and now Captain Phillips deal with intimate confrontations that occurred in the real world. While factual events like September 11th and the 2009 hijacking of the MV Maersk Alabama have certainly left an impact domestically if not internationally, the British filmmaker is more interested in the events alone and the character interactions within.

Although this isn’t as chilling as United 93, Greengrass’ latest is a gripping watch from the pirates’ initial attempt to hijack the ship to finally them succeeding, which leads to this battle of wits between the two captains, the old American Philips and the young Somalian Muse. What starts off as a cat-and-mouse chase throughout the interiors of the ship, the film’s second half takes a more intense turn when Phillips alone is taken hostage by the pirates and the rest of the action takes place on the lifeboat.

It is in the second half where the performances by the two leads are in top form. Although Tom Hanks is the big name from the advertisements, and no doubt is extraordinary in his most physically demanding role since Cast Away, the film is really a two-header between Hanks and newcomer Barkhad Abdi whose character isn’t entirely villainous as despite his menacing persona, has a level of vulnerability through his youth and ambition.

While there’s been controversy of how much the filmmakers have dramatized the true story, both Greengrass and Hanks present an intense thrill-ride which are a pleasure to those who aren’t fully aware of the real-life ordeal.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
Hanks stakes his claim for the 2014 Oscar - 20/10/2013 2:39:22 PM   
Azzurro06

Has anyone ever seen a tour de force of acting from a male lead like this in even the last 10 years? The film is fantastic and directed wonderfully, but my word, Hanks' performance is simply sublime. I challenge anyone not to feel every crazy emotion that Captain Phillips is feeling in the last 15 minutes of this movie, it's simply astounding. If you can't feel your stomach churn with this character then, check your pulse, you're probably dead.

Post #: 34
Unbelievably good - 20/10/2013 7:35:32 PM   
tysmuse

It surpassed my high expectations. Has the same kind of knot-inducing, stomach-churning tension that United 93 invoked (although, not quite as strong).
But Hanks has a moment towards the end that killed me.

And I absolutely can't believe that people STILL overly judge/review a film before they've seen it!!!

Post #: 35
RE: the truth is out there? - 20/10/2013 8:21:45 PM   
FoxDhoj

Straight from the director's mouth rather than an 'anonymous source':

"I’m glad you asked that! I saw those stories too, based upon an “anonymous crew member”. Here are the facts. Shortly after the Mersk Alabama incident was successfully resolved, and Captain Phillips returned home safely, some members of the crew sued Mersk Corporation claiming they had been put in harm’s way. They also alleged that Captain Phillips had ignored warnings to stay away from the coast of Somalia. When we started the film, it was a top priority for me to look into this issue in every detail. And I obviously can’t comment on this lawsuit, but what I can say is that myself, along with my colleague Michael Bronner formerly of 60 minutes, with whom I worked on United 93 and other projects, we researched the background of the Mersk Alabama highjacking in exhausting detail over many months. We spoke to every member of the Alabama crew bar one, all of the U.S. Military responders that played a leading role in these events, and thoroughly researched backgrounds of the 4 pirates and the issue of Somali piracy generally. And I’m 100% satisfied that the picture we present of these events in the film, including the role playing by Captain Phillips, is authentic. I stand by the picture I give in the film, absolutely.

In particular I am confident that Captain Phillips did not take an irresponsible route along the coast of Somalia and ignore a specific warning as alleged in the press. The route he took was similar to that taken by many ships of many nationalities at that time and since. The problem of piracy at that time was that pirate bands had begun using motherships, which enabled them to strike at ships throughout the Indian ocean, up to 800 miles plus out to sea, if not further. The film shows clearly Captain Phillips receiving warnings about pirate attacks, putting into place security measures onboard ship. The film also shows a vigorous debate with some members of the crew who wanted the ship to deviate from its route in order to prevent attack, and I show Captain Phillips (as I believe occurred) arguing that there was no point deviating the route, because pirate bands with motherships could attack them wherever they went. At the end of the day, it is easy to make anonymous accusations against a film. But the facts are clear. Captain Phillips’ ship was attacked, and the ship and the crew and its cargo made it safely to port with no injuries or loss of life. Also, the fact is that Captain Phillips went into the lifeboat in order to ensure the safety of his crew, because thereby he insured the pirates left the ship. The fact is, Captain Phillips then endured a five day ordeal at the hands of his kidnappers that very nearly resulted in his being killed. That’s the story we told, and it’s an accurate one.

Now of course, any film you have to compress events and alter certain details to make sure that a 5 or 6 day complicated chain of events works as a 2 hour movie. And whilst our film does not reflect every detail of what every single crew member did during the highjack [and I appreciate this may have upset some members of the crew], the film does very clearly show that all members of the crew worked heroically and independently from Captain Phillips to ensure the safety of the ship and that specific members of the crew, for instance Mike Perry the chief engineer and Shane Murphy the chief mate, played very significant personal roles in the successful outcome of the highjacking. I believe that when looked at overall, the film does acknowledge the admirable contributions of all crew members and of specific individuals, so of course, though as I say, some of the specifics may have been lost in the 2 hour turn. I stand by my film, and if there’s a bit of sour grapes around, I put that down to the fact that to be in command of a ship – as I know from my father’s experiences – is often a lonely place. And you don’t win popularity contests as a captain. Your job, and certainly Richard says by his own admission, he was a professional merchant marine captain and he faced a dreadful challenge that day in the middle of the ocean far from help. And the ship, the crew, and the cargo reached port safely. I don’t quite understand what there is to criticize…"

You don't really think Greengrass is one to inform himself as much as possible before making such an intense and powerful film? Looking forward to seeing this later in the week - watched A Highjacking last night, which is a great warm-up film and tells a slightly different story in a very different way (from what I can gather).

(in reply to nickuk)
Post #: 36
COMPELLING DRAMA!!! - 21/10/2013 10:01:15 PM   
Ramone87

Nail bitingly intense Sea Drama!!

Based upon actual events, director Paul Greengrass expertly recreates the crises aboard the US container ship Maersk Alabama as Capitan Richard Phillips and his crew are taken hostage by Somali pirates in April 2009.

The tension never let's up in this nail biting drama as we witness in precision detail the events that lead up to the boat siege,..we are introduced to the Somali crew of desperate 'fishermen' picking their squad for the sea ambush all lean mean and scary. We are then introduced the everyday man. Captain Phillips played extraordinarily by Tom Hanks kissing his wife goodbye at Port Oman, unaware of the events already shaping up on that day.

From the moment Phillips crew head into the Indian Ocean then begins the siege,..the crew to their utmost to put the pirates off their ship,...water hoses, flares, sudden ship manoeuvres and anything to keep them off the boat but as in real life they manage to board. From here the tension mounts as we are introduced to two captains here, our everyday hero Phillips and the Somali Pirate Muse ( an impressive Barkhad Abdi) leading his 3 man squad of loose cannons.

Captain Phillips tries everything to hide his crew and protect them the best he can but events escalate as eventually Philips is taken hostage and all hells breaks loose when the Navy show's up. The siege lasts for nearly 4 days and we are literally put right into the core of this nail biting drama.

The Somali outbursts of a captain who "talks too much" and muse's almost odd affection for Phillips as he refers to him as "Irish" makes fantastic compelling drama. It all head to a dramatic conclusion and a deeply affecting finale with Hanks,..there won't be a dry in the house. Give the man an Oscar!!!

This is truly essential viewing!!

WATCH IT!!!!

Post #: 37
They're not here to fish........ - 22/10/2013 6:15:46 PM   
n13roy

Just come back from seeing this Film, and it is a brilliant roller coaster of emotions from start to finish, and SO tense too, and probably Tom Hanks best performance ever, the last scenes are absolutely amazing and its hard NOT to feel yourself getting swept away by what he has gone through to get to that point. Best Film of the Year IMHO, and I can see Tom Hanks getting another Oscar here...........:

Post #: 38
Good film.... - 23/10/2013 11:18:18 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

...just a shame it's all Hollywood bullsh*t!

Post #: 39
Good film.... - 23/10/2013 11:19:47 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

...just a shame it's all Hollywood bullsh*t!

Post #: 40
RE: Good film.... - 28/10/2013 1:38:25 PM   
jcthefirst

Loved this. Possibly my favourite film so far this year.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Bobby TwoTimes)
Post #: 41
RE: Good film.... - 30/10/2013 12:34:06 PM   
antvent85

Puppet review of Captain Phillips - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB4agBQS6vk

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 42
"There's got to be something other than being a fi... - 22/11/2013 12:50:05 AM   
movienut707

Immediate, visceral and absorbing. Director Paul Greengrass has crafted a work of profound emotional impact, guiding the magnificent Tom Hanks through an Oscar-worthy performance. Captain Phillips may not be perfect, but it is an experience... and you will be moved.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 22/11/2013 1:16:43 AM >

Post #: 43
"There's got to be something other than being a fi... - 22/11/2013 12:50:08 AM   
movienut707

Immediate, visceral and absorbing. Director Paul Greengrass has crafted a work of profound emotional impact, guiding the magnificent Tom Hanks through an Oscar-worthy performance. Captain Phillips may not be perfect, but it is an experience... and you will be moved.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 22/11/2013 1:15:08 AM >

Post #: 44
"No tricks, Irish." - 22/11/2013 7:39:22 AM   
Jericho117

Captain Phillips is an astonishing film and it features one of Tom Hanks best performances ever. An amazing achievement.

Post #: 45
ONE OF THE BEST FILMS OF THE YEAR!!!! - 25/11/2013 9:30:37 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

TOM HANKS WAS AWESOME!!!!!!

Post #: 46
RE: ONE OF THE BEST FILMS OF THE YEAR!!!! - 8/12/2013 5:34:13 PM   
m_er

Tom Hanks tries to survive not on an island, this time in the sea.

Watched it last night and thought it was absolutely gripping. Had no expectation before I watched it, and then I felt the hype and excitement from the beginning to the end. So real!

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to Ciaran McDaid)
Post #: 47
RE: Captain Phillips - 8/12/2013 8:03:22 PM   
DorianS

I must say I fairly enjoyed Captain Philips, although it did feel too long from time to time. Tom Hanks is great and I wouldn't be surprised if he got an Oscar nomination. Paul Greengrass handled the direction masterfully (I rarely enjoy shaky-cam, but in Captain Philips I had absolutely no problems with it) and the Somali pirates characters were surprisingly well portrayed and acted. Like I said, Captain Philips is an enjoyable movie, but I fear I'll never re-watch it since it gets rather tedious at some parts.

7/10

You can read a more detailed review here.

http://passpopcorn.com/ - We don't make reviews to make money, we make money to make more reviews.

Post #: 48
RE: Captain Phillips - 11/12/2013 9:35:47 PM   
spamandham

The captain BirdsEye fish finger adverts were a more accurate depiction of maritime heroics. Next.

Post #: 49
RE: Captain Phillips - 15/12/2013 10:43:26 PM   
Biggus

The latest film from the ridiculously consistent and brilliant Paul Greengrass depicts the harrowing real-life events which took place off the coast of Somalia in 2009. It’s a fine fit for the acclaimed British director with its intense personal confrontations, sociopolitical leanings and against-the-odds drama and Greengrass takes to the material like a duck to water.

The story concerns Captain Richard Phillips (Tom Hanks) who, in the film’s early scenes, is marked out as an efficient family man and runs a tight bur fair ship. Whilst he and his crew are making their way down the east coast of Africa, their cargo freighter is threatened by a small group of Somali pirates who after one failed attempt, manage to haphazardly climb aboard.

The boarding of the vessel is a thrilling sequence and Hanks’ brilliantly captures the confusion, the desperation and the outright fear of man whose carefully planned agenda is now life-threatening out of control. As the film progresses and the tension is expertly ratcheted up by Greengrass, Hank impresses more and more as he shows us that he’s equally at home with a naturalistic style of acting as he is with more conventional material. It shouldn’t comes as any surprise really considering he is quite often connected to the cinema-going public as the ‘everyman’. Hopefully Hanks will consider more routes like this in the future as in recent years his output as been a little underwhelming to say the least. His Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons wasn’t exactly stretching (apart from in the patience department) and no detectable impact was made with either Charlie Wilson’s War (naked butt aside), Larry Crowne or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Thankfully Captain Phillips shoots the former Forrest Gump straight back to the top.

The acting load is shared by an equally impressive performance by newcomer Barkhad Abdi who plays lead hijacker Abduwali Muse. This very difficult role is balanced wonderfully by Abdi who lets us understand where his character came from while never letting us empathise with his misguided cause.

As Captain Phillips’ ordeal descends further and further, so does the almost unbearable tension of the film. The final scenes become almost unwatchable as Phillips’ situation reaches breaking point and you feel you’re being starved of oxygen. Hanks shows previously unseen levels of emotion in the film’s denouement and could well be equalling Daniel Day-Lewis’ triple Oscar win come awards season.

In fact if Greengrass himself doesn’t bag a nomination in the Best Director (and while we’re at it, Abdi for Best Supporting Actor) then Academy voters need to take a long hard look themselves. Filmmakers of this calibre are a rare breed indeed.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 50
Great - 21/1/2014 2:00:08 PM   
7eke

Really enjoyed this film, maybe dragged a little in the middle but the last 5 minutes were devastating.

Post #: 51
- 17/2/2014 9:38:35 PM   
TheGodfather

Captain Phillips
Paul Greengrass` new film tells the true story of the hijack of an American cargo ship by Somalian pirates off the coast of Somalia.
Because of the way it is shot, that we are used too by now thanks to the Bourne franchise, it looks like you as the audience really are a part of the action. That adds extra tension to te film, that grows towards the end with an evergrowing speed.
Hanks is, especially in the second part, very good but it is Barkhad Abdi who (in his feature film debut) gets all the attention here. As the leader of the group of pirates he shows a wide array of emotions and shows he`s a talent.
An exciting and intense film by Greengrass.

8,0/10

Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI