Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Captain Phillips

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Captain Phillips Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Captain Phillips - 23/9/2013 1:20:12 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Empire spoiler! - 23/9/2013 1:20:12 PM   
harv45

Hi Empire, you appear to have included the entire plot under 'Plot'. While I admire your thoroughness, perhaps it'd be best to let people who don't know how it all turns out watch the film to see?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Are you serious?!?!?! - 12/10/2013 1:48:01 AM   
guysalisbury

Thank god I didn't read your review before I went to see this. I had no idea how the story turned out it would have been completely ruined! It's a great film but not 5 stars for me. Because it follows real life events I does get a tiny bit boring in places but that is nobody's fault. I would still recommend it.

Post #: 3
RE: Empire spoiler! - 14/10/2013 12:19:03 PM   
flashycactus13

come on now, this is a true event that actually happened, all you have to do is turn on Sky news or BBC news for the plot to be unveiled

(in reply to harv45)
Post #: 4
Another shaky cam fest from Greengrass... - 14/10/2013 1:54:36 PM   
Stevenski Chan

That unfortunately makes it unwatchable for these eyes.

I'd love to be able to watch The Bourne Supremacy, Ultimatum & this with a nicely framed, steady cam cut as the content is great, but I just cannot stand watching films that give me motion sickness & prevent me being able to work out what's going on half the time.

Post #: 5
Thanks for the spoiler, Empire!!!!! - 14/10/2013 5:42:46 PM   
mhomouda

Please explain.

Post #: 6
Nice One!!! - Not! - 14/10/2013 6:49:31 PM   
markteacher

Wow Empire. That must be a record even for your oft-hamfisted reviews. The entire plot, including THE ENDING in the first 3 sentences!!!

Yes, I know it's public record, and if I choose to search for this guy I will find out what happened via Sky or BBC, but I chose not to so that I could enjoy the suspense of what is, by your own admission, 'a riveting, emotionally complex and hugely intelligent dramatisation of a real-life ordeal.'

Thankfully you have saved me the ordeal of having to spend 2 hours in the company of Mr Hanks and Greengrass by telling me exactly what I didn't want to know.

I didn't even have to read the review (which I normally avoid because you do delight in spoilers), you put it right at the very beginning.

Sometimes you really are a set of complete bell-ends!

I assume 5 stars for the movie, the 1 star is for your journalisticaly inept attempt at a review!

Post #: 7
RE: Nice One!!! - Not! - 14/10/2013 8:30:46 PM   
Super Hans

I love the reviews section.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to markteacher)
Post #: 8
RE: Nice One!!! - Not! - 14/10/2013 11:00:21 PM   
Hood_Man

Woah. Just got back from seeing it, this film is terrific. It didn't bother me one jolt that the Empire review gives away big plot points (I was already aware of the story anyway), this film had the same effect as Apollo 13. A well known, widely publicised story, that's adapted into a film that still manages to leave you guessing at the end.

It's very tense, and very human. Nobody comes off as particularly heroic, or particularly "bad," the main characters simply perform like human beings thrown into a shitty situation, and this is shown from both sides ("good and bad").

I don't want to give too much away, but Tom Hanks absolutely nails his final scene. I've obviously never been in a situation like that, but I have been involved in a situation of intense pressure, and Hanks absolutely sold me his performance in that final scene.

When it goes on general release, see it. Just go and see it. A terrific thriller.

...and it doesn't have the annoying over-the-top Greengrass Shakey Cam either!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 9
Paul "Shaking Stevens" Greengrass - 14/10/2013 11:40:39 PM   
jazzyjules63

I haven't seen it but I bet my life the camera shakes mercilessly throughout this movie, making it a headache-inducing wank-fest, completely wasting any decent performances from the actors. Memo Paul: go buy a dolly or stop making movies.

Post #: 10
Saving Mr Phillips - 15/10/2013 12:19:08 AM   
whakawarewar

A good film that almost lives up to the exceptional A Hijacking from earlier in the year. The trade mark shaky cam from previous Greengrass films didn't stifle the storytelling. Hey, It would be Bravo Cinematographer that managed to gimble out the movements of the Sea! SPOILER: Tom Hanks was excellent in this film. I didn't realise how good his performance had been until the closing scenes. Some films would have rolled credits but staying with 'Irish' was emotionally impactful in a way that glued me to the seat, leading men are rarely allowed to show the trauma that circumstance brings. Hanks was riveting in this scene. Certainly an intelligent drama which is well drawn for the big screen the film didn't quite ratchet the tension as much as expected. Perhaps this is due to following the actual events rather than drama being over amplified as is the case in so many other Big budget thrillers.

Post #: 11
RE: Captain Phillips - 15/10/2013 12:19:14 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

Captain Phillips is a gruelling, yet emotionally rewarding, watch. For many, the power will be in the story, so multiple viewings may not hold any appeal (so cinema then), but for those of you who want to see how a True Story™ can be told with the same pacing and tension as a fictional thriller, this will be worth several passes.

Oh, and yeah, shaky-cam central, I'm afraid.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 12
RE: Captain Phillips - 15/10/2013 1:21:40 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Shaky cam,never an issue here.
I watched the story at the time,and heard there were changes in the film-so clue-avoid reviews!
Hanks anchors this film-the ordinary guy doing his best in extraordinary circumstances.
Claustrophobic at times,but compelling.
Without saying much,yes the scenes at the end are that good-Hanks hasn't been this good in years.
Remarkable film making.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 13
Excellent - 15/10/2013 4:58:50 PM   
HulkySmashSmash

Loved it. Got to see it on the IMAX screen in Cineworld Dublin. Could have heard a pin drop during the entire film. The last half hour was especially nerve shredding!

Post #: 14
- 16/10/2013 6:10:13 PM   
jezy

Just came back from watching it. Outstanding. I know Greengrass has the reputation of the shaky cam but there is no better film maker that puts you in the middle of the drama and action. White knuckle ride.

Post #: 15
RE: - 17/10/2013 7:47:24 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Seen this last night...it's terrific.

The latest from Paul Greengrass is the equal of this years other excellent boat in peril film A Hijacking, all being in a completely different manner. Whilst the Danish effort is more about the procedure of hostage negotiation from a distance, Captain Philips is very much the whiteknuckle ride in the midst of the crisis - and as Bloody Sunday & United 93 proved, no director alive handles the sense of escalation as expertly as Greengrass.

Special mention to Hanks as well. Not only does he deliver his most compelling performance in years, his work in the closing scene is worthy of an oscar nomination all on its own.

Highly recommended...and a stiff drink might well be needed shortly afterwards.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to jezy)
Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 17/10/2013 7:52:13 AM   
Qwerty Norris

And enough of this tiresome shaky-cam complaining. It's what Barry Ackroyd does - and it's completely appropriate for what he shoots . Not every film can work effectively with static composition (and we're at sea for goodness sake!).

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 17/10/2013 8:54:41 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Yes to this ^^^^

Never disinterest me.

Post #: 18
Spoilt - 17/10/2013 1:35:00 PM   
chris wootton

Yep, no need to see this now. Cheers

Post #: 19
RE: Spoilt - 17/10/2013 6:37:17 PM   
sanchia

When did it all become about how something ends and not about the ride getting there? Was it like this when Titanic came out (the boat sinks you know)?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to chris wootton)
Post #: 20
RE: Spoilt - 17/10/2013 7:31:34 PM   
Hood_Man

Normally I'd be on the side of those complaining about the spoiler, but this film is based on a book written by the title character*.

I'm pretty sure that Empire are covered

*Or Ghostwritten by someone else, but the point remains it's based on the story he told.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 21
RE: Spoilt - 17/10/2013 7:36:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Furthermore, if you're that touchy over spoilers.....

WHY ARE YOU READING THE REVIEWS?!?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 22
the truth is out there? - 17/10/2013 9:58:59 PM   
nickuk

From all I've read of interviews with crew members this is hardly "based on recent true events" as Empire put it - in fact who are Empire to say this is true? Did they fact-check?
From what I've read Philips was an arrogant cold fish who ignored protocol and put the entire crew at risk by sailing extremely close to the Somali coast despite warnings not to.
Another Hollywoodisation under the guise of "truth". Braveheart has an heir apparent. Oscars guaranteed.

Post #: 23
RE: the truth is out there? - 18/10/2013 1:20:33 AM   
CriticNumberOne

The boat sinks???

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to nickuk)
Post #: 24
RE: the truth is out there? - 18/10/2013 1:22:48 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Heir to Braveheart??Come on!There are artistic changes,but not major ones-and even your gripe doesn't affect the film.

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 25
RE: RE: - 18/10/2013 8:33:56 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

And enough of this tiresome shaky-cam complaining. It's what Barry Ackroyd does - and it's completely appropriate for what he shoots . Not every film can work effectively with static composition (and we're at sea for goodness sake!).

Shakycam is a abomination: it's pointless, stupid, unjustifiable, illogical [we can barely see what's happening] and makes me feel physical sick or have a bloody headache, and has no place in cinema except Found Footage. I will say that Greengrass did it better than most directors, up to Green Zone, where it got almost unbearable, and it sounds like it'll be the same with this film.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 26
RE: RE: - 18/10/2013 12:54:16 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

Shakycam is a abomination: it's pointless, stupid, unjustifiable, illogical [we can barely see what's happening] and makes me feel physical sick or have a bloody headache, and has no place in cinema except Found Footage. I will say that Greengrass did it better than most directors, up to Green Zone, where it got almost unbearable, and it sounds like it'll be the same with this film.

This film was noticeably more restrained than his previous shaky-cam films In the Bourne movies it was distracting, here I barely noticed it. It's certainly the hand-held look, but not "shaky-cam."

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 27
RE: RE: - 18/10/2013 1:47:48 PM   
CriticNumberOne

But it's at sea!!?

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28
RE: RE: - 18/10/2013 2:54:53 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

This film was noticeably more restrained than his previous shaky-cam films In the Bourne movies it was distracting, here I barely noticed it. It's certainly the hand-held look, but not "shaky-cam."

That's good to know mate, as I was considering not going to see it. thanks!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 29
RE: RE: - 18/10/2013 3:44:39 PM   
CriticNumberOne

Oscar nomination for Hanks?

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Captain Phillips Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI