Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Filth - 22/9/2013 8:14:39 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Not impressed - 22/9/2013 8:14:39 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Had the "pleasure" of seeing this about a month a go... I only lasted 30 minutes before I walked out bored and unimpressed. The directing is bad and James McAvoy just doesn't do anything that brings you into the film wanting to watch more. I can see why Empire gave this 4 stars (it is a British film). The book is great. The film, however, is filth that deserves to be flushed down the pan.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Not impressed - 30/9/2013 7:01:51 AM   
chump5874

A month ago? Private screening for you was it? Lasted 30 min? And that qualifies you to make a judgement on a movie?

(in reply to J_BUltimatum)
Post #: 3
RE: Not impressed - 30/9/2013 1:13:55 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: J_BUltimatum

Had the "pleasure" of seeing this about a month a go... I only lasted 30 minutes before I walked out bored and unimpressed. The directing is bad and James McAvoy just doesn't do anything that brings you into the film wanting to watch more. I can see why Empire gave this 4 stars (it is a British film). The book is great. The film, however, is filth that deserves to be flushed down the pan.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a post from you that was impressed with anything but even you have to concede giving something half an hour doesn't really entitle you too much of an opinion? Its bit like reading the first two chapters of a 20 chapter book before putting it down and deciding that its the worst book written?!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to J_BUltimatum)
Post #: 4
RE: Filth - 1/10/2013 4:47:06 PM   
Super Hans

Won't get to the cinema to see it but I'm curious to watch this as I'm nearing the end of the excellent novel. Hope it's a faithful as it can be, as some of Robertson's antics are hilariously, wickedly conniving. The racist language in the book is pretty damn strong, but from the film plot synopsis I've read, I'd imagaine it would be less of a thing in the film.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 5
RE: Filth - 3/10/2013 4:06:54 AM   
JCR

It's quite different from the book in some respects, though I don't think they could do anything about that, as there are elements in the book that wouldn't work in a film.

Never the less, it's a great film, excellent performance from McAvoy.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 6
RE: Filth - 3/10/2013 7:51:22 AM  1 votes
Qwerty Norris

Piece of pish. I'm really not much of a fan of Welsh and his one note writing; his approach worked for a group of heroin addicts, but the constant banging of the same drum over his following novels, short stories & television dramas became increasingly tiresome with each effort. Trainspotting was revolutionary in dismantling Scottish discourse, yet in Filth (especially in this adaptation) his observations have disintegrated into lazy stereotypes. His obsession with portraying the outrageous have also led to a huge problem with the tone, none more evident than this. The balancing act between the comedic and the serious is awkward, with the transition between the two handled clumsily by Baird. It has aspirations of being a film about mental illness, addiction & personal loss, but it plays the drama with such broad strokes it's extremely difficult to be convinced by any of the proceedings.

Credit to Mcavoy though for giving it his all. His performance deserves a better film, rather than this shallow rip-off of Bad Lieutenant (and I laughed more during the Abel Ferrara version).

Depressing.

2/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to JCR)
Post #: 7
RE: Not impressed - 3/10/2013 9:35:38 PM   
J_BUltimatum

No. A press screening, and yeah. I didn't like it so gives me ample qualification to rate this movie as pish. :)

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 8
RE: Filth - 3/10/2013 9:41:31 PM   
J_BUltimatum

No... I can't concede it because a- just don't like James McAvoy as an actor and b- at just over a quarter into the film and am still bored it gives me every right to have an opinion.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 9
RE: Filth - 4/10/2013 11:33:03 PM   
R W

Since its release seventeen years ago, Danny Boyle’s brilliant adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting, there have been other films that attempted at adapting other works by the Scottish novelist. In the case of his 1998 novel Filth which was considered unfilmable, it took over a decade to make it into the big screen as writer/director Jon S. Baird shows the heightened grittiness of Edinburgh as oppose to the city’s upbeat environment in Sunshine On Leith.

Following the murder of a young Japanese student, the corrupt, cocaine-snorting, hard-drinking Edinburgh cop Bruce Robertson (James McAvoy) is angling for a promotion to detective inspector, and is prepared to secure it by any means necessary. Suffering from personal problems and continues his self-destructive lifestyle, his mind begins to wonder between reality and fantasy.

In its very first frames, I had a clear idea of what to expect in this film, not on the basis of reading the source material but an idea of what the tone is, which is at best divisive. On the one hand, one can admire its “holds no bar” black comedic tone as even the very title Filth is a blueprint in nearly every scene, whether it features the constant boozing, the over-snorting of cocaine or the most inappropriate use of a printer. While a lot of these scenes are not for the squeamish, they do bring out a lot of laughs.

On the downside, the film can get relentless and most of all messy as while the protagonist Bruce Robertson is in every single scene, the story pulls in various different directions from the (no pun intended) filthy humour to the more dark and twisted moments delving into Bruce’s psyche. With Stanley Kubrick’s influence clearly evident in Baird’s direction – not least from the appearance of a 2001: A Space Odyssey poster – it becomes an Achilles’ heel as the fantasy sequences are a feeble attempt at being outrageous.

If there is anything entirely positive to say about Filth, is that James McAvoy presents an extraordinary performance as this obnoxious detective sergeant who doesn’t have our sympathy but his journey into a complete mental breakdown gives the film a compelling edge, given its other edges. Despite the difficulty of wrestling with numerous plot points throughout the piece, the supporting cast get their moment to shine, particularly Eddie Marsan as Bruce’s clean-shaven accountant and Shirley Henderson as the accountant’s sex-desperate wife.

As both a black comedy and a dark psychological drama that features an extraordinary performance by James McAvoy, it achieves and suffers with a tone that’s crazy but relentless, funny but messy.

Post #: 10
the down escalator - 5/10/2013 9:11:26 AM   
findogask

quite a few films coming out of Scotland just now ... pick carefully, if you are looking for "feel-good smalch" Filth is not for you. that said ( and I haven't read the book ) this is a fine example of a Faustian down escalator . Despite what is said on previous reviews Mc Avoy is rapidly becoming the "go to " actor for tortured soul and does the job very well, having to Pull on all his acting talent here ( literally ) and good supporting cast, not a first date movie by any means ( try Sunshine for that ) but well worth a look

Post #: 11
Another failed attempt at recreating Trainspotting - 6/10/2013 6:56:27 PM   
Azzurro06

Why do directors who take on Irvine Welsh material feel they have to make Trainspotting 2, and then fail so horribly. This was truly painful to watch, but very easy to analyse. It's Trainspotting without the wit, script, visual flair and taste (yes, that's right, taste). Just a compilation of disgusting sketches which nearly made me vomit into my popcorn. How McAvoy, Marsan and Broadbent found themselves in this odious movie is beyond me. But like one of McAvoy's character's "morning afters", I bet they are looking in the mirror and regretting every second of it.

Post #: 12
Filth - 8/10/2013 8:51:49 PM   
durelius

Hmm seems I watched a different film to the rest of the commenters here, thought it was terriffic and refreshing to see an adult film that just revels in being un-PC. It could probably only work with that Scottish accent. McAvoy is brilliant just spiralling downward in destruction that he can't escape, and just when you think there is a touching moment when he's going to break through, he just spits out some more bile. Destined for cult classic status certainly is going to fill the asiles but great never the less.
Bunty bunty how's your...

Post #: 13
He should get the Oscar for this! - 9/10/2013 11:24:48 AM   
Silvio Mugabe

I think that McAvoy should be in the Oscar running for best actor for his performance in this film. It is without a doubt the best performance on film for the entire year. He manages to get the audience to love, hate, sympathise, and hope for him throughout. The audience I saw it with shared the same sentiments. It is a credit to his acting that his performance controls the schizophrenic tone of the film - which it is meant to (for those that didn't 'get it'). Everyone else is fantastic but it is truly McAvoy's film. The last time that I saw a British film that was worthy of any real recognition was Four Lions and that got snubbed by the Oscars, which was a cinematic crime! America loves redemption tales so redeem yourselves and recognise this!

Post #: 14
great film - 9/10/2013 11:26:07 PM   
tysmuse

Seen it twice now. And it holds up on repeat viewing very well. McAvoy's performance improves. I think it's nigh on brilliant.

Post #: 15
Intoxicating Fun!!!! - 10/10/2013 9:23:15 PM   
Ramone87

A blistering, funny and vulgar adaption of another Irvine Welsh's third novel, but surprisingly there is some genuine heart in here, among all the well,.."filth", pardon the pun. We follow the painfully funny antics of Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson trying everything and anything to get that special "Promotion" as he get's tangled into a racial murder case. Along with huge amounts of cocaine and alcohol we follow Bruce ( A Brilliant James McAvoy) go from suspect to suspect and indulge in all manner of sexual perversions intoxication and masturbation...and off course more cocaine.

In the same lines as trains potting it's a sordid experience, full of flash cuts, offensive humour and every opportunity for James McAvoy to flex his acting skills. We go from full blown paranoia ( some crazy hallucinations of pigs and weird animals!) to desperation, sadness and pure mania and McAvoy holds the screen brilliantly,...we actually have sympathy for this devil. Great work!!

Along for this crazy ride are his colleagues Jamie Bell as the young Ray humiliated in a funny penis "photocopy session"...Eddie Marsan as Bladesey his only real friend who bears the brunt of his seedy lifestyle on a trip to various red light districts and sex shows. Also his estranged ex wife Carole played Shauna Macdonald appears many times narrating in strange surreal dream sequences along with Jim Broadbent as Dr.Rossi as a kind of deranged mad scientist.

It moves at a great pace and there is plenty to enjoy in this engaging, repulsive but exciting piece of British cinema.

WATCH IT!!!

< Message edited by Ramone87 -- 10/10/2013 9:25:33 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Intoxicating Fun!!!! - 12/10/2013 10:34:49 PM   
Dr Lenera

A thoroughly tedious, one-note and mostly unfunny [unless you find things like sex automatically funny] first half gives way to a somewhat better second half that does compel, though Ferrera and Kietel did it all much better over two decades ago. MacAvoy's startling performance stands out, but deserves a better film.

4.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Ramone87)
Post #: 17
RE: Another failed attempt at recreating Trainspotting - 13/10/2013 12:50:22 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azzurro06

Why do directors who take on Irvine Welsh material feel they have to make Trainspotting 2, and then fail so horribly. This was truly painful to watch, but very easy to analyse. It's Trainspotting without the wit, script, visual flair and taste (yes, that's right, taste). Just a compilation of disgusting sketches which nearly made me vomit into my popcorn. How McAvoy, Marsan and Broadbent found themselves in this odious movie is beyond me. But like one of McAvoy's character's "morning afters", I bet they are looking in the mirror and regretting every second of it.

Yes, I'm sure they'll all sack their agents when word filters through that someone off the Empire forum thought their movie was odious.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Azzurro06)
Post #: 18
Best Film of 2013 - 14/10/2013 3:32:09 PM   
Stephenh28

I have seen alot of movies in 2013 from massive blockbusters like Man of steel pacific rim etc....but this film beats all of them by a mile. The Story is dark and the sights of Edinburgh are amazing James McAvoy played the part to a T and he genuinely looks rough through out the whole film.

Post #: 19
RE: Another failed attempt at recreating Trainspotting - 15/10/2013 4:01:13 PM   
Azzurro06

Very funny, obviously its gives you pleasure to come around and rubbish other reviews on this forum. Hope you had a nice time.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 20
MARY WHITEHOUSE WOULD'VE LOVED THIS..... - 15/10/2013 5:27:48 PM   
ROTGUT

Didn’t find it as offensive as it could have been and James McAvoy always seemed like such a nice, charming young man in all his movies. The basest debauchery abounds and no stone is left unturned as the “plot” develops - and I seriously cracked up when old “Hutch” himself turned up as the cab driver and started warbling his greatest hits. But what I REALLY want to know is – will there be a director's cut? And if so – how much more SEX,VIOLENCE, DRUG ABUSE , SWEARING, RACISM, LYING, CHEATING, HOMOPHOBIA, ASPHYXIATION, CROSS DRESSING MANIA, XENOPHOBIA and general all around human nastiness could they possibly cram into an already densley stuffed narrative. THREE STARS

Post #: 21
Does what it says on the filthy, filthy tin. - 16/10/2013 1:12:00 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

If you enjoyed the more hallucinogenic aspects of Trainspotting, you'll get a lot out of Filth. Welsh proves once again that you can be flexible with your linear narrative if you throw enough messed up situations at the reader/viewer and a few crowning reveal shots. Given the scope of the project, Filth is nothing short of magnificent.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 22
RE: Another failed attempt at recreating Trainspotting - 16/10/2013 11:44:20 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azzurro06

Very funny, obviously its gives you pleasure to come around and rubbish other reviews on this forum. Hope you had a nice time.

On the contrary - I'd say the Reviews section easily gives me the least pleasure of anywhere on this forum.
I was disagreeing with your assertion that just because you didn't like the film the cast must regret being in it.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Azzurro06)
Post #: 23
bleak - 18/10/2013 11:01:02 AM   
bretty

I think McAvoy gives a strong performance in a very bleak film. Trouble is, he is such a nasty character and nearly everyone we meet (except for a young mother and a female cop) are pretty much unlikeable. I found it less of a black comedy as a tragedy and as such made uncomfortable viewing.

Post #: 24
bleak - 18/10/2013 11:01:04 AM   
bretty

I think McAvoy gives a strong performance in a very bleak film. Trouble is, he is such a nasty character and nearly everyone we meet (except for a young mother and a female cop) are pretty much unlikeable. I found it less of a black comedy as a tragedy and as such made uncomfortable viewing.

Post #: 25
lost its way a little - 5/2/2014 11:56:35 AM   
Samurai7

Started off really dark and funny, then got a little weird and heavy and abstract. The shift in tone didnt really work, and to be critical the film does feel "off". Great performance from McAvoy and co, and some great lines. Eddie Marsan on pills will stay with me for ever, funniest moment by far.

Post #: 26
Oh dear..... - 23/2/2014 1:28:45 PM   
guysalisbury

I was really looking forward to this but it was just terrible. As someone mentioned below it just tries so hard to be like Trainspotting which I was hoping wouldn't be the case. McAvoy is ok but thats all he ever is, which is a shame cause he seems like a top man. Its just not funny. And worse than that it has no heart or soul. I can't remember the last time I felt so empty after a film. I spoke to a friend in LA last night and he said that Filth wasn't out there yet and he was really looking forward to it. I hate the fact that this kind of film is a representative of British cinema at the moment. Be gritty, but be clever and funny as well.

Post #: 27
SQUALID - 25/5/2014 4:58:37 PM   
Alex of Africa

Not only squalid but tedious and predictable.

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Filth Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI