Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 21/9/2013 9:12:10 PM   
Jonezy123

My bug bear with movies is when a great film is utterly ruined by a final scene bolted on to make it happy, either influenced by these f@ckwits in test screens who weren't left with a 'happy glow', or the director just missing the finishing line of perfection.

The prime example is 'The Mist'. It would possibly be my favourite ever film if it wasn't for the final 30 seconds. (Spoiler alert). David has just shot his son and three others to spare them from the pan-dimensional invading creatures in the mist. He's run out of bullets and has one option left in his life. To walk into the mist and face his doom to the monsters which have conquered the world. All hope is lost, the human race has been defeated thanks to it's absolute loss of morality in its scientific experiments, or some say loss of faith in God.

But nooooo. Along come some soldiers to save the day, if only he'd waited five minutes longer blah, blah, blah. So close Frank Darabont, yet so far.

Another recent one is 'Mud'. I won't give the ending away on this one, but the final scene just ruins an otherwise superb film. It takes away the mystery completely. I'm sure it was a test screen audience who made them tape that onto the end.

Any others you'd like to add?
Post #: 1
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 21/9/2013 9:29:26 PM   
benny the jet

Surely the Mist ending is the point. Isn't it more shocking that if he'd waited a couple of minutes everything would have been fine? Far from a happy tagged on ending imo. Not particularly a fan of the film but for me the end is by far the best bit

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 2
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 21/9/2013 9:51:29 PM   
Jonezy123

Benny. I understand your point and alluded to it in my post.

I just think a film where the human race is defeated due its stupidity, where there's just no hope, is far superior to one where the guy could have waited five minutes to save everyone. And there would have been mystery. What happened to David? It would have been great. But we see him get saved. And I hate that final 30 seconds as a result.

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 3
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 21/9/2013 10:15:35 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonezy123

I just think a film where the human race is defeated due its stupidity, where there's just no hope, is far superior to one where the guy could have waited five minutes to save everyone. And there would have been mystery. What happened to David? It would have been great. But we see him get saved. And I hate that final 30 seconds as a result.

But he isn't really saved. He's going to have to live with both the consequences of his actions (shooting his own son, and for nothing) and the knowledge that the other townsfolk from the store have been rescued despite their terrible actions. That's the tragedy. For me it's still a great ending.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 4
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 21/9/2013 10:33:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

But he isn't really saved. He's going to have to live with both the consequences of his actions (shooting his own son, and for nothing) and the knowledge that the other townsfolk from the store have been rescued despite their terrible actions. That's the tragedy. For me it's still a great ending.

I agree with you DC, but we don't actually discover the fate of the people left in the store. The woman he sees in the truck was the one that ran away from the store at the start. If everyone went with her, there is a better chance they'd all be safe. The tragedy you speak of is still there, though.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 10:38:18 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

I agree with you DC, but we don't actually discover the fate of the people left in the store. The woman he sees in the truck was the one that ran away from the store at the start. If everyone went with her, there is a better chance they'd all be safe. The tragedy you speak of is still there, though.

Oh right, for some reason I always thought we saw the people from the store, like William Sadler, in one of the trucks... Oh well, I haven't seen it about five years, great film but bloody depressing. But that climax is such an ingenious subversion of the whole 'happy ending' scenario. The OP seems to see it as some kind of cop-out, but he's obviously missing the point. Although I'm not saying that his idea of an alternative ending wouldn't also work, it just wouldn't be as effective dramatically.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 22/9/2013 10:53:52 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 6
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 3:06:29 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Oh right, for some reason I always thought we saw the people from the store, like William Sadler, in one of the trucks... Oh well, I haven't seen it about five years, great film but bloody depressing. But that climax is such an ingenious subversion of the whole 'happy ending' scenario. The OP seems to see it as some kind of cop-out, but he's obviously missing the point. Although I'm not saying that his idea of an alternative ending wouldn't also work, it just wouldn't be as effective dramatically.

Although i preferred the book's ending, i agree with Dancing clown, the ending is a real shocking, powerful one

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 7
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 3:17:51 PM   
Proudfoot

I guess you could make a case for the final of Haute tension (Switchblade Romance) ruining most of what went before.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 8
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 4:34:11 PM   
Jonezy123

Bah! I didn't miss the point of the ending, I fully understand what Frank Darabont did. I just think that seeing David, and the rest of the town (well those that weren't eaten) saved is a huge cop out.

The creatures invaded from another dimension as a result of an experiment gone wrong. If you're religious you could say it was judgement day. If you're not it's humans paying for playing God by getting wiped out. Having David get out of his vehicle after the ultimate worst day to face his doom is perfect. There's mystery. Does he get eaten? Do the creatures and humans learn to live together? To the creatures get defeated? Who knows! What is their purpose? What the hell happened?

But no. Some soldiers shoot them and use flame throwers. Yawn.

Anyway. It seems to only be me on this one! What other films have been ruined by the final scene being tacked on? Did anyone see Mud and think the final scene utterly ruined it?

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 9
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 4:51:58 PM   
horribleives

I loved Mud's happy ending - it was what the characters deserved. It may sound corny on paper but it worked for me. I reckon a self-consciously bleak climax would've been more of a cop-out.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 10
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 5:37:04 PM   
Jonezy123

Surely not knowing what happened to Mud is much better? Plus he was a murderer and did actually deserve to get his comeuppance. To see him sail away with his pal looking happy spoiled the ending for me. It would have been better to end on the previous scene where to lads are wondering what ever became of Mud. I'm sure that final scene is the result of a test screening!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 11
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 6:29:16 PM   
UTB

I thought the end of Take Shelter pretty much ruined a fantastic movie.

**SPOILERS for Take Shelter**

The entire film is about dealing with paranoia and mental illness, yet we end on him being right all along, which would have been fine had the preceding film not suggested at every point that he was slowly losing his mind, taking us on an emotional, brilliantly acted story about how it affects those around you and the ways in which they deal with it,

Nope, forget all that, he was right all along. He's got special powers or something, I dunno.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 12
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 6:32:22 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Surely not knowing what happened to Mud is much better? Plus he was a murderer and did actually deserve to get his comeuppance. To see him sail away with his pal looking happy spoiled the ending for me. It would have been better to end on the previous scene where to lads are wondering what ever became of Mud. I'm sure that final scene is the result of a test screening!

That would've worked too but I was quite happy with the one they went with. And I very much doubt the ending was the result of a test screening.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 13
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 22/9/2013 10:08:36 PM   
Cool Breeze

Most endings to Speilberg films leave much to be desired.

Biggest culprits are A:I, Minority Report, and War Of The Worlds.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 14
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 23/9/2013 8:04:57 PM   
Mr Gittes

As I've posted in the Unpopular Opinions thread, to me Rio Bravo's ending is utter pish.

Manhunter's ending is cheesy as hell too, but it doesn't quite ruin the film because A) the rest of the movie is just too damn good, B) it's pretty much only the music that lets it down, and C) at least there's Crawford's bullet-wound and Graham's cut-up face to show that it's not all hunky-dory.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 15
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 23/9/2013 9:10:11 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Bah! I didn't miss the point of the ending, I fully understand what Frank Darabont did. I just think that seeing David, and the rest of the town (well those that weren't eaten) saved is a huge cop out.

We don't know what happened to the people still in the supermarket, though. Plus, the monsters where never the point of the film, it was about humans being their own worst enemies. Also, we only see what is happening in that town which has an Army base nearby, we don't know the sense of destruction further afield.

I think the ending is a real punch in the gut but I thought it was great.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 16
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 23/9/2013 9:20:30 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Most endings to Speilberg films leave much to be desired.

Biggest culprits are A:I, Minority Report, and War Of The Worlds.

I don't necessarily agree with those (please don't tell me you think it's robots in A.I.), but Saving Private Ryan does have a problematic ending. The entire film, the opening especially, is about how terrible and absurd war is. Just random death and grotesque violence, there's no meaning for the individual soldier, they're just caught in the middle of hell on earth. Then these soldiers we're following decide, late in the film, that they can maybe find some sort of meaning in saving this one single guy. Not any sort of vast huge profound meaning, just a reason to keep going... And the film suddenly seems to agree, only it takes it to the next level, at least that's what Tom Hanks' last words and the cheesy graveyard ending implies. It feels like two different films. One is a harsh real look at war from the ground level up, that's the majority of the film, then the other one is a more top down hindsight look at how needed WW2 was and how it really did matter what the individual guy did.

Perhaps those guys who drop like flies during the opening, would have felt a little weird about the ending, if they had been around to complain.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

Post #: 17
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 23/9/2013 9:22:15 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Manhunter's ending is cheesy as hell too, but it doesn't quite ruin the film because A) the rest of the movie is just too damn good, B) it's pretty much only the music that lets it down, and C) at least there's Crawford's bullet-wound and Graham's cut-up face to show that it's not all hunky-dory.

I love that film so much it's never bothered me, but I can see where you're coming from with the cheesy aspect, doesn't even come close to ruining it for me though.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 18
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 24/9/2013 10:03:32 AM   
grucl

The Forgotten.

I never felt so cheated watching a movie.

Aliens did it? REALLY? WTF??

< Message edited by grucl -- 24/9/2013 10:05:11 AM >

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 19
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 25/9/2013 1:31:17 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I thought the end of Take Shelter pretty much ruined a fantastic movie.

**SPOILERS for Take Shelter**

The entire film is about dealing with paranoia and mental illness, yet we end on him being right all along, which would have been fine had the preceding film not suggested at every point that he was slowly losing his mind, taking us on an emotional, brilliantly acted story about how it affects those around you and the ways in which they deal with it,

Nope, forget all that, he was right all along. He's got special powers or something, I dunno.

Good call - that ending completely negated everything that went before, so the film just became a big "so what was the point of the last 2 hours then?"

Perfume (2006) - I thought this was brilliantly original up until the far too OTT ending. I get the point of the ending and it did make sense, but it just looked ridiculous in it's execution. Only saw this once (on release) so I may go back for another view to see if it sits any better second time round.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 20
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 26/9/2013 3:18:14 PM   
MattTheBadger

Now You See Me, anyone? Thought the first half of the film was great, started to lose momentum the longer it went on and then the SPOILER ALERT ending with the Central Park carousel and the reveal of the mastermind behind the whole thing was just....absolutely....appalling.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 21
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 26/9/2013 3:49:02 PM   
musht

Has anyone mentioned Four Weddings yet?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to MattTheBadger)
Post #: 22
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 26/9/2013 4:05:18 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Surely not knowing what happened to Mud is much better? Plus he was a murderer and did actually deserve to get his comeuppance

While I wouldn't go as far to condoning murder, I can sort of understand why Mud shot that guy. Mud's an inherently decent man but he did make some pretty poor decisions in his life.

I'm going to chip in with my two cents and say that The Last Exorcism is really, really good up until the last few minutes. Some bullshit about the possessed girl giving birth to the anti-christ?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 26/9/2013 4:07:21 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 23
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 26/9/2013 9:11:10 PM   
The Waco Kid

*SPOILERS*

recently saw a film Called The Factory with John Cusack.
his Daughter in the film gets kidnapped by this Guy who Kidnaps Women just to make Babies.
all through the film i was rooting for Cusack but in the end he gets fucked over by his Police Partner and shot and then she gets away with it.
the whole ending just spoilt the film for me.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 24
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 27/9/2013 12:06:29 PM   
Whistler

The final scene of Sunshine is good, but the third act goes all wonky with the slasher stuff. Almost ruins an otherwise brilliant film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I'm going to chip in with my two cents and say that The Last Exorcism is really, really good up until the last few minutes. Some bullshit about the possessed girl giving birth to the anti-christ?

Yeah, this.

quote:

Now You See Me, anyone? Thought the first half of the film was great, started to lose momentum the longer it went on and then the SPOILER ALERT ending with the Central Park carousel and the reveal of the mastermind behind the whole thing was just....absolutely....appalling.

It was a bit contrived. I enjoyed the film, but at the moment of the reveal I did guffaw a little bit.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 25
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 27/9/2013 12:09:58 PM   
Whistler

I Am Legend's ending was a bit rubbish as well. It should've stuck to the book.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 27/9/2013 8:55:32 PM   
Mister Coe

The final scene of Sunshine is good, but the third act goes all wonky with the slasher stuff. Almost ruins an otherwise brilliant film.

Totally this.  I really enjoyed this film until the final act, where the truly fuck-awful, Tony Scott-type editing got so mental that I genuinely thought that my DVD player was breaking down... 

Say what now?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 29/9/2013 12:11:40 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

The film was hardly great during the rest of it ( Those bloody cgi vampires! ) so the ending was just as disappointing as the rest of the film.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 29/9/2013 12:15:15 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

The film was hardly great during the rest of it ( Those bloody cgi vampires! ) so the ending was just as disappointing as the rest of the film.

Actually that's true. I wasn't thinking about the "great movie" bit.

Post #: 29
RE: Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... - 29/9/2013 11:49:33 PM   
Coyleone

Saving Private Ryan. OH GOD.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Final scenes which ruin an otherwise great movie... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI