Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 21/9/2013 1:50:40 PM   
RobotDevil

Reading about how the most recent Breaking Bad episode has a perfect 10/10 score on IMDB I thought I would have a look at the ratings people gave it.
Whilst 95.9% did rate it 10, there were still 1.3% who gave it 1/10.

There is a persistent feature in IMDB ratings that, regardless of the actual weighted average score, a certain proportion will always give it 1/10. Not only that, but the 1/10 category is never the least used.
For most films it seems to be around 1-2.5% of people who will give it 1/10. I went through the top 250 and the lowest rate of 1/10 votes for any film was A fistful of dollars, but still more people gave it 1/10 than 2/10.

I've never given anything 1/10. Probably because I don't think I would ever watch a film that I would hate that much (and I would really have to hate it - or walk out). The lowest score I've given was 3/10 - Skyline. 1/10 to me would have to be literally unwatchable, with no merits whatsoever.

On the other hand you have films like One Direction which has an extremely polarized 55% giving it 1/10 and 34.8% giving it 10/10. I suspect that many of those 1/10 voters didn't actually go and see it.

So - has anyone here given a film that they actually saw 1/10 and did you think it would be that bad in advance?

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.
Post #: 1
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 21/9/2013 2:15:36 PM   
Rebel scum

I've only seen a few films that deserve 1/10, and usually those are the ones that have gone beyond just bad to genuinely piss me off. Off the top of my head, White Chicks and Scary Movie both got 1/10 from me, they were painful to watch. I was press-ganged into watching the former, and the latter was meant to be passably funny, so I watched it of my own volition. It wasn't.

I think giving out 1/10 to stuff you "just" didn't like is silly; I think on IMDB a lot of people do it because it:
1-Has a high score and they want to mess up the average
2-Stars someone they don't like (1 Direction)
3-Wasn't great, but the voter only gives out 10, 9, 5 and 1 scores (depressingly common on imdb).

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 2
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 21/9/2013 9:06:24 PM   
Whistler

I reckon a lot of it will just be trolling. Like Rebel Scum said, just people who want to mess with the average.

I've given a few films 1/10, but it doesn't happen often (just like it's rare for me to give 10/10). In all honesty it kind of annoys me when people just throw around 1/10-1/5 or 10/10-5/5 like candy. Again like Rebel Scum says, just because you don't like a film doesn't mean you have to give it the worst score possible. There's always room for some balance.

Off the top of my head, I've given 1/10 to:

Live Free Or Die Hard (A boring, plodding mess. Such an insult to a once brilliant franchise - there was nothing enjoyable about it)
Sleeping Beauty (2011) (An unbelievably boring, tedious, pretentious piece of self-indulgent crap)
Epic Movie (Stupid and atrociously un-funny)
Your Highness (Stupid and atrociously un-funny)

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 3
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 23/9/2013 6:07:29 PM   
rich

I don't even understand 10 point rating systems, I mean what is the difference between 1/10 and 2/10? Is everything below 6 worthless which negates the whole thing?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 4
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 26/9/2013 1:14:05 PM   
Moorish

Trolls basically do this sort of thing all of the time. They may secretly love the film, get a kick out of it or whatever, yet still opt to give the lowest rating because they feel like it gives them some sort of power. Perhaps they don't like an actor out of jealousy, a director.... whatever. But sad trolls love this sort of behaviour, unaware of how bitter and sad they are.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 12/10/2013 8:37:42 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

I give 1/10 to overrated movies to tilt the scales back.

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 6
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 1:44:32 AM   
paul_lfc

I gave Lost 1/10, just so disgusted with how bad it ended up after the first 2 series, Im not sure why I watched it to the end, 1 is harsh it probably deserved a 4
The film Moon I gave 1/10, had to switch it off half way through terrible, same with One flew over the cuckoos nest which is highly rated but was absolutely dreadful

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 7
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 11:08:01 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_lfc

I gave Lost 1/10, just so disgusted with how bad it ended up after the first 2 series, Im not sure why I watched it to the end, 1 is harsh it probably deserved a 4
The film Moon I gave 1/10, had to switch it off half way through terrible, same with One flew over the cuckoos nest which is highly rated but was absolutely dreadful

Holy shit man, you need to visit 'Unpopular Opinions' with this nonsense surely

(in reply to paul_lfc)
Post #: 8
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 11:28:20 AM   
snaze1

quote:

I would be seriously interested to hear what you think is a 10/10 if you gave those 2 films a 1/10!

(in reply to paul_lfc)
Post #: 9
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 11:48:36 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

The mind boggles. I can only assume that you are challenged mentally, which would be kinda ironic...

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to paul_lfc)
Post #: 10
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 12:43:50 PM   
horribleives

Call me old fashioned but I tend not to give too much thought to films I don't like. Which I'm aware will sound crazy to some of the little boys on here whose entire raison d'etre seems to be to bang on constantly about stuff they hated but there you go.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 13/10/2013 12:44:23 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 11
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 1:12:47 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Call me old fashioned but I tend not to give too much thought to films I don't like. Which I'm aware will sound crazy to some of the little boys on here whose entire raison d'etre seems to be to bang on constantly about stuff they hated but there you go.

Yes, this. Olympus Has Fallen is easily, in my mind, one of the worst films of the year and I can barely remember a thing about it. I only watched the thing about a couple of weeks ago. Bad films really aren't worth droning on about time and time again, but each to their own I guess.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 12
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 1:21:35 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

This has always been my motto.
Why waste my time and others by harping on endlessly about Films I don't rate.Waste of time.

Concerning the numbered rating system.I ever only rate films from 1 to 5.It's basic and easily justifiable.While I find 1 to 10 ratings to be,shall we say,slightly over the top.

quote:

Mental.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 13/10/2013 1:26:22 PM >

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 13
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 5:14:52 PM   
CriticNumberOne

No disrespect,but Moon and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest 1/10??
Even Olympus Has Fallen is better than that.
1/10 is just for Adam Sandler films.
And Thor,Superman,Spiderman etc.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 14
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 8:10:25 PM   
superdan

I think the only films I've seen that would warrant 1/10 - as in, so awful as to have no redeeming features whatsoever and I can't summon up one kind word about them - would probably be the likes of Jack and Jill, Superman IV, Mac and Me and anything directed by Aaron Seltzer. They are truly dreadful films. Saying Moon, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Thor, Spiderman and so on, whether you enjoyed them or not, belong in the same bracket as that kind of filth is so wrong as to be beyond comprehension.

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 15
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 13/10/2013 10:02:54 PM   
Cool Breeze

I dont see the problem with giving films a rating of 1/10.Everyone is entitled to an opinion and film is very subjective.One persons masterpiece is another persons Batman And Robin.

At the end of the day, whats important is whether you like it or not.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 16
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 14/10/2013 4:22:52 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I dont see the problem with giving films a rating of 1/10.Everyone is entitled to an opinion and film is very subjective.One persons masterpiece is another persons Batman And Robin.

At the end of the day, whats important is whether you like it or not.

Exactly.
Which is why I rated John Huston's Moulin Rouge 6/10 and Baz Luhrman's Moulin Rouge 1/10.
Mind you, I've yet to see a film directed by Luhrman that I would rate any higher than a 2. Definitely one of the worst directors currently working in film, and really should have been drowned at birth.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 17
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 14/10/2013 9:38:29 AM   
CriticNumberOne

I was being pedantic about comic book films
Now Moulin Rouge??With respect chaps,some of the films mentioned are absurd.

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 18
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 14/10/2013 10:05:11 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: CriticNumberOne

Now Moulin Rouge??With respect chaps,some of the films mentioned are absurd.

Exactly - and none more so than that piece of crap.

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Post #: 19
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/10/2013 1:34:35 AM   
CriticNumberOne

About you again,as opposed the film?
Baz Lurhman is a quality director-and certainly not 1/10 on anything.

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 20
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/10/2013 8:04:46 AM   
siegfried

Not about me, about the film. As I've already noted in another thread you seem to be the sort of person who believes that everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it's the same as yours.
I have no respect for any director who takes one of the greatest tragic love stories of all time, and turns it into a two hour punk rock video as Luhrmann did with Romeo And Juliet. As for Moulin Rouge, if you're into derivative, cliché ridden, unoriginal junk, then I guess it would be your kind of film. The sets and costumes looked like they were designed by a drag queen on a bad acid trip; the most charitable thing one could say about the choreography was that it was clunky and unimaginative; the musical numbers, instead of carrying the story forward, stopped it dead in its tracks; and worst of all, for something which purported to be a love story, there was zero chemistry between the two leads.
I've suffered through four of Luhrmann's films, and the major impression that I have is that he seems to go by the premise that nothing succeeds like excess. I stand by my earlier statement that he's one of the worst directors currently working in films.

Post #: 21
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/10/2013 11:48:49 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Hey,you're the self confessed troll-i'm simply saying Baz Lurhman isn't a 1/10 director-The Great Gatsby underlines that.
His use of music and visual style to bring a contemporary modernism to his films is unique and refreshing.
You don't like it or get it fine.
Your "reasoning" behind it is simply your opinion,and of course you are entitled to that,but you are the one preaching a negative as some sort of fact,not me.

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 22
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/10/2013 8:57:10 PM   
siegfried

quote:

Your "reasoning" behind it is simply your opinion,and of course you are entitled to that,but you are the one preaching a negative as some sort of fact,not me.

Just as you did with your comments about George Clooney's acting and directing. You can't make comments like that and expect others to take them seriously, and then berate them for making similar comments about someone you happen to like.
As for Luhrmann's version of Gatsby, once again he has taken a great literary classic and turned it into a shallow, self indulgent piece of glitz, which, while it may have a lot going for it visually, completely betrays what is at the heart of Fitzgerald's masterpiece. And from what I've read, the majority of reviewers seem to agree with me.

Post #: 23
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/10/2013 9:02:08 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

As for Luhrmann's version of Gatsby, once again he has taken a great literary classic and turned it into a shallow, self indulgent piece of glitz, which, while it may have a lot going for it visually, completely betrays what is at the heart of Fitzgerald's masterpiece. And from what I've read, the majority of reviewers seem to agree with me.

I'll give him his due there, he's very good at that. I quite like his kinetic, glamorous style, it's just a shame it rarely translates into a good film.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 24
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/10/2013 9:50:05 PM   
CriticNumberOne

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

Just as you did with your comments about George Clooney's acting and directing. You can't make comments like that and expect others to take them seriously, and then berate them for making similar comments about someone you happen to like.

What did I say about George Clooney?

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 25
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/10/2013 9:55:23 PM   
CriticNumberOne

Siegfried,the simple core of the issue is related just to this thread.
I get you don't like him,that's fine.My point is nothing you say puts him and his body of work in the 1/10 category-so few films actually belong there.
I mean really,how many 1/10 films does anybody see im a lifetime?Surely they're walkouts?
So it isnt the issue you don't agree with me,i dont care about that,it's just a ludicrous opinion to categorize Baz as 1/10,even the visual style you faintly praise indicates that.

Never disinterest me.

Post #: 26
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 15/11/2013 12:11:09 PM   
rikkie

I'm pretty anal with my voting of films I've seen, and have voted for about 1400 over the last decade or so. I've only given the following 17 films a whopping 1/10:

Ishtar
Dragnet
Wolf
Exorcist II: The Heretic
S1m0ne
Wild Orchid
Afraid of the Dark
Highlander II: The Quickening
Showgirls
Basic Instinct
Planet of the Apes
Spaceballs
Cabin Fever
Mission to Mars
Much Ado About Nothing
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
How to Get Ahead in Advertising

And voting for a film that you've only seen half of is clearly not cool. If I haven't seen all of it, no matter how much I hated it, I can't vote for it. Gotta have rules...

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

Post #: 27
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 8/12/2013 5:43:10 PM   
m_er

honestly, I've never rated no films that low.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 28
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 10/12/2013 2:01:45 PM   
rikkie

That's just nonsensical. If you say you're never going to vote a film 1/10 or 10/10 then you're just changing the parameters and only voting out of 8.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 29
RE: Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? - 18/12/2013 8:34:41 PM   
Mr Grady

I have seen a vote which lowered itself to "fuck You out if 10" but not on IMDB, more's the pitty.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Does anyone here give 1/10 ratings on IMDB? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI