Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
R. I. P. D. - 20/9/2013 2:22:59 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Highly watchable - 20/9/2013 2:22:59 PM   
Spuzzell

There's absolutely nothing to dislike about this film. The actors are engaging, the dialogue is fine, it has flashes of humour and the action scenes are kinetic, immediate and easy to follow.

The plot is straightforward and consistently logical. I'm really not sure what happened to the Empire reviewer there.

This is a solidly enjoyable 3 star effort, you'll have fun during it, and walk out happy and unburdened by lasting memories.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Highly watchable - 21/9/2013 8:17:50 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spuzzell

There's absolutely nothing to dislike about this film. The actors are engaging, the dialogue is fine, it has flashes of humour and the action scenes are kinetic, immediate and easy to follow.

The plot is straightforward and consistently logical. I'm really not sure what happened to the Empire reviewer there.

This is a solidly enjoyable 3 star effort, you'll have fun during it, and walk out happy and unburdened by lasting memories.

Agree I had a great time with it.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Spuzzell)
Post #: 3
Men In Shite - 22/9/2013 11:48:27 PM   
bretty

I wasn't impressed and the other five people in the cinema didn't look like they had enjoyed it either.
It is very MIB and Ghostbusters without any of the wit and charm of those two films. A lame plot and FX that went from very interesting to very naff didn't help. I was quite enjoying this until he joined the RIPD, the time frozen FX and so on looked very good, but once we meet out first badly CGI'd "Deado" it started going downhill. A straight to video/DVD film if I ever saw one.

Post #: 4
RE: Highly watchable - 24/9/2013 5:04:29 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spuzzell

Haha yea I love it when I walk out of a film and I am unburdened by memories of the film I've just had to pay to go and watch! This could be my favorite thing I've ever read on an Empire forum!!!

*wipes tear from eye*

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 24/9/2013 5:06:17 PM >

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Spuzzell)
Post #: 5
RE: Highly watchable - 24/9/2013 6:43:20 PM   
Shifty Bench

I didn't hate this film. It is cliche-ridden but I still found it fun and enjoyable enough.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 6
RE: R. I. P. D. - 24/9/2013 7:32:23 PM   
Kazuya

I thought it was fun, unoriginal to be sure, but certainly not as bad a film as some have made it out to be. As related to it's extremely poor box-office though, it's another nail in Reynolds' coffin.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 7
RE: R. I. P. D. - 27/9/2013 11:10:08 AM   
No Diggity

Not quite solid entertainment 3 star fare...enjoyable in parts, but lacking in a few depts...lead actors, effects, storyline, are all a bit off... not terrible, but wouldn't watch it twice..

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 8
RE: R. I. P. D. - 30/9/2013 10:48:20 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

I found R.I.P.D. to be entertaining, but ultimately very, very empty; even if that was pretty much exactly what the trailer promised. While the 3D's a take-it-or-leave-it affair, I would recommend that if you're going to see this, take advantage of Orange Wednesdays and do it at the flicks... because I suspect that a lot of the charm the movie *does* have will be lost in translation to the small screen.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 9
RE: R. I. P. D. - 11/10/2013 5:23:39 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Purely vanilla-it did the job.
Not good,not bad.
The Alan Shearer paints his fence movie experience.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 10
RE: R. I. P. D. - 11/10/2013 9:45:08 AM   
Artoo

Absolute shite of the highest order!

Just being fairly linear, easy to follow, pretty and having two likeable actors in the leads is not enough by a long shot! There was soooooo much that was wrong with this film.

First and foremost - it was a blatant, BLATANT - rip off of Men in Black! There's nothing wrong with using something as a template or as inspiration for a movie but the absolutely unmissable similarities were right there in practically every scene right down to the camera angles - just that this was done much, much, MUCH worse!

Just as bad as that was the fact that they had two of my personal favourite actors in the lead roles and they were just fucking wasted - especially Reynolds. Where was his trademark charisma, snarky comments and jokes? They would have been better off casting someone like Ryan Gosling in the lead as he has the on-screen charisma of a dog turd and would have fitted perfectly with the character! Jeff Bridges was ok and at times (maybe two or three times during the entire flick) quite funny, and this is the best thing I have to say about the film. Wasting two great actors like that is just unforgiveable! We know this type of movie can work because we saw it in Men in Black - they just need a decent script and a decent director.

They must've had a mega budget for this flick and the basically squandered it. The premise was there, the actors were there and the budget was there - the script and director however, were both definitely NOT there!!!

E- for this. Complete and utter ballbags!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 11
RE: R. I. P. D. - 11/10/2013 3:24:43 PM   
CriticNumberOne

Harsh on Ryan Gosling,and he would never do nonsense like this.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 12
RE: R. I. P. D. - 28/10/2013 5:12:06 PM   
m_er

Have to admit that I didn't hate it. I couldn't help myself thinkin of MIB a lot during the film, which ws annyoing. But all in all, it was partly entertainig and Jeff is as cool as always. 2/5

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> R. I. P. D. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI