Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prisoners - 20/9/2013 11:18:47 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Has all the makings for the perfect thriller. - 28/9/2013 10:54:53 PM   
Hood_Man

This is the second time in the last 7 days that I've seen a film that starts off dramatically (The Call, last Sunday), builds up into something sinister and tense, and then loses all tension in the 3rd act. Great performances from all involved, though.
Post #: 2
RE: Take No... - 1/10/2013 8:31:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

Mentioned as being much like Zodiac but actually far closer to something like Mystic River in feel , Prisoners manages, amazingly, to be almost as good as those two fine films. It’s a striking thriller that takes the viewer on a gripping ride without resorting much silliness or the typical histrionics. It’s also extremely morally ambiguous and complex, deliberately setting out to make any viewer uncomfortable. Make no mistake, despite not containing things like jump scares or gratuitous gore [though there is at least one really uncomfortable scene of brutality] this is a really dark film, a brave, intense experience that doesn’t give you any easy answers and asks questions about things like responsibility and what is justifiable. Moving leisurely but never once losing its grip over two and a half hours, it’s full of twists and turns and, while restrained in its ‘action’, makes simple things like a search in a cellar the most scary of things. Meanwhile Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaul are simply stunning in their lead roles and deserve Oscar nominations. Jackman goes darker and deeper into the human psyche then he has ever done before and constantly changes your perception of his character, while Gyllenhaul, though having the less flashy role, gives his rather straight forward character immense depth by really clever nuances. Some of the film’s best scenes simply have the two guys talking, the incredible performances and Aaron Guzikowsk’s excellent dialogue doing the work.

This is not to say the film doesn’t look great, the always excellent work of Roger Deakins really shining in this, creating some beautiful compositions often involving darkness and rain. The one over-the-top scene, a drive to save someone’s life, is shot in the most gorgeous manner and made me think of Taxi Driver no less. A few elements of the plot are not too well thought through and to be honest the last half an hour is distinctly weaker than what preceeds it. Overall this remains a fine and intelligent movie….though expect to feel very uneasy afterwards. I do….though I mean that as a compliment. Even if you don’t enjoy it, you’ll think about it. But that title….hey come on, you could have thought of something better.
8.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 3
RE: Pretty much an Excellent movie - 10/10/2013 1:22:47 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Fantastic film,Jackman has never been better.Moral quandaries abound in a claustrophobic tension.
Very long and tense,but worth it.
The ending??SPOILER ALERT******
Perfect.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.
Post #: 4
RE: Prisoners - 24/10/2013 10:22:23 AM   
No Diggity

very effective thriller....apart from the performances which are good (Jackmans wasn't that great,,he had plenty to go on),,you get a real sense of the place....and even though its well over two hours long, it doesn't lag once...
Post #: 5
RE: Prisoners - 8/12/2013 5:40:07 PM   
m_er

just was watching this and I thought it was great. Exciting from the beginning till the end. I highly recommend this film.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to No Diggity)
Post #: 6
RE: Prisoners - 9/12/2013 1:13:56 PM   
Coyleone

Really great thriller with a gripping story (though less so in the last half hour as has been said) and fine performances. Probably the best film of the year that has big name actors in it and I'd call it a top 10 overall. The final scene has been stuck on my head since seeing it.

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 7
Cracking Low Key Thriller - 9/12/2013 4:28:51 PM   
joannakanga

Stand Out Performance from Jake Gyllenhaal as the quirky, off-beat, tick'n all detective

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 8
RE: Prisoners - 19/12/2013 3:16:31 PM   
spamandham

Surprisingly not depressing and rather good.

Post #: 9
RE: Prisoners - 28/12/2013 10:18:39 AM   
chang

This movie is a bold, brave and unforgettable slice of filmmaking that pulls you deep into the mix and doesn't let go.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 10
RE: Prisoners - 28/12/2013 11:09:54 AM   
Drone

Awesome film, although I wasn't too keen on the ending, it all felt a bit cliched; like the finale couldn't live up to the previous two hours promise. Lots of people would disagree though. Just a truly great film with superb performances.

< Message edited by Drone -- 28/12/2013 11:10:05 AM >

(in reply to chang)
Post #: 11
Political undercurrent???? - 10/2/2014 10:42:46 AM   
Samurai7

I dont know what the fuck Dan Jolin is on about, there is ZERO reference to Iraq the middle east or the war on terror. Its just a dank, tense, kidnaping thriller. If theres an undercurrent, its religious...but that adds to the creepiness.
This was surprsingly better than I thought and very enjoyable. It keeps the tension and is not an obvious whodunnit which is refreshing.

Post #: 12
RE: Political undercurrent???? - 23/4/2014 3:44:41 PM   
Vitamin F

Great film and fantastic performances from Jackman and Gyllenhaal - for me Jackman just edged it, as this was an intense side to him I'd not seen before.
Much better film than I expected it to be, and I thought the final scene worked perfectly, it didn't require another second of exposition.

(in reply to Samurai7)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Prisoners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI