Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dredd Gets A Comic Book Sequel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dredd Gets A Comic Book Sequel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dredd Gets A Comic Book Sequel - 16/9/2013 6:33:51 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Repeats - 16/9/2013 8:03:50 AM   
Osric

Didn't you already report this six months ago? Yes, you did.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 16/9/2013 9:51:27 AM   
jmebaby25

I thought Dredd was great (although I was annoyed that I couldn't find a 2D viewing anywhere). It suffered from unfortunately being compared the The Raid (it was written and filming began first). Sadly I think Dredd's apparent failure will have cemented Hollywood's belief that 18-rated movies won't sell as well as 15 or 12. To be honest, I think that's fine as long as expectation is adjusted before hand. It's crazy to expect Dredd to become a blockbuster hit.

I'd love to see them make more of the films, even if it means cutting the budget a little, but I'm not buying a second blu-ray. I paid the ridiculous price of watching the film in 3D at Odeon and I bought a home copy. I figure I've done my part. If the survival of Dredd depends on us all buying multiple copies then the studios are right not to greenlight a sequel.

Post #: 3
Dredd 2: Electric Boogaloo - 16/9/2013 11:15:32 AM   
BenTramer

Dredd flopped, no surprise really - to most Americans, it's an unknown or at best obscure Brit comic book, it had no stars in it and Dredd never took off his helmet and seemed cold and remote. I still thought it was a good film (apart from those slow-mo moments that went on for hours). The movie business is like any other business, it's about supply and demand. If a movie flops, there's no demand for more product, so they won't make it. Simple.

Post #: 4
RE: Dredd 2: Electric Boogaloo - 16/9/2013 12:59:54 PM   
Thehairyewok

Ben Tamer..Dredd has only taken his helmet of twice in the history of the comic and we have never seen his face. To take his helmet off in the movie is a bit of a no no if your making a Dredd movie, just look at the Sly Stallone version and negative feedback his helmet removal caused. I agree that the slo-mo stuff went on too much..great idea to show how the drug effected people but not needed in the amount it was. I would love to see the sequel and gutted they wont do it as they are chasing the cash cow, but hey as a lover of many cult comics I guess we just take what we can get when we get it. As for buying multiple copies? Nope not doing that I will sign petitions and spread the word but I love the comic and long may the printed version continue to blow the mind!

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 5
Shame... - 16/9/2013 1:14:25 PM   
Fozola

Great movie, fuckin shame really, especially as they keep on churning out munkey spaff like Scary Movie 26 or Saw 14 and folk apparently flock to these horse-shit sequels! How they keep making Fast and Fucking Shite sequels also amazes me but there you go...

Post #: 6
HOPE - 16/9/2013 1:31:51 PM   
blindfold

Thank you EMPIRE for posting the news about the Petition and the ONE DAY rally this wed. I will be dropping my YES vote in there when the 18th swings round this week. Hope is not lost yet folks!

Post #: 7
RE: HOPE - 16/9/2013 1:50:10 PM   
Arthur Sludge

I thought it was great that it was an 18, helped keep the annoying "Odeon multiplex" young'uns away...

I also thought it was one of the very fews films that was actually good in 3d, and for 6 on Blu Ray, it's an absolute bargain!

Shame no sequel, but no surprise really; in addition to the other observations on here it was also woefully under-marketed and promoted.

(in reply to blindfold)
Post #: 8
I am a fan, but .. - 16/9/2013 1:51:10 PM   
Olde

Even as a fan of Dredd, I didn't enjoy the film as much as I had hoped, it is very good - but needed more background (the Dredd world of the future) & to see more of Mega City One (the city), it wasn't helped that the Raid came out as others have said - but they are very different films - however it is a great film, miles apart from the previous big screen outing. It's a shame that we are unlikely to see another outing.

Anyone who hasn't seen the Dredd fan film, mentioned in the Dredd end credits - Judge Minty - should google it & watch this online, you might even spot me in the film!

Post #: 9
Don't Dredd it, buy it!!!!! - 16/9/2013 4:39:22 PM   
dreddhead

Dredd was an excellent movie, a refreshingly adult take on the comic book genre, with a tone reminiscent of those great Sci-Fi actions flicks from John Carpenter, like Assault On Precinct 13 and Escape From New York.

Although the box office was disappointing in the US, it has sold phenomenally well on DVD and Blu-ray, so I still hold out a sliver of chance for a sequel.

As a regular reader of The Megazine, I'm looking forward to the comic book sequel.

All fans of the film and 'old school' action movies should support the campaign and sign up and buy a copy of the movie on September 18th.

< Message edited by dreddhead -- 16/9/2013 4:40:58 PM >

(in reply to Olde)
Post #: 10
RE: Don't Dredd it, buy it!!!!! - 16/9/2013 5:34:48 PM   
Osric

Wait a minute, are you not the guy that was all over this being the worst film ever while it was in production? Confidently predicting disaster, telling everyone your own screenplay was better? Different Dreddhead?

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 11
RE: Don't Dredd it, buy it!!!!! - 16/9/2013 5:58:28 PM   
dreddhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osric

Wait a minute, are you not the guy that was all over this being the worst film ever while it was in production? Confidently predicting disaster, telling everyone your own screenplay was better? Different Dreddhead?

No that's a nut job who haunted this and the IMDb movie forum.

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 12
RE: Don't Dredd it, buy it!!!!! - 16/9/2013 6:06:22 PM   
dreddhead

Actually scratch that! He haunted pretty much every Dredd forum on the entire Web!

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 13
RE: Repeats - 16/9/2013 6:15:46 PM   
rich

Yeah he also got banned for multiple accounts, so you seem to be a separate entity.

As for the comic sequel... hard to get excited. There are already a lot of spin offs for films, I'd rather just read the 2000AD archives.

Dredd was my movie of 2012 but I real doubt a follow up will ever get made. The home video sales and online sequel push have been promising, but don't mean anything in reality when you're talking about distributors and studio suits.

quote:

I'm guessing this is nearer to release or whatever.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 14
RE: Repeats - 16/9/2013 6:22:22 PM   
dreddhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Yeah he also got banned for multiple accounts, so you seem to be a separate entity.

As for the comic sequel... hard to get excited. There are already a lot of spin offs for films, I'd rather just read the 2000AD archives.

Dredd was my movie of 2012 but I real doubt a follow up will ever get made. The home video sales and online sequel push have been promising, but don't mean anything in reality when you're talking about distributors and studio suits.

quote:

I'm guessing this is nearer to release or whatever.

Empire also updated the article with the 'Make A Dredd Sequel Day Of Action On September 18th' news.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 15
RE: Repeats - 16/9/2013 8:10:36 PM   
Osric

My apologies to the non-nutjob Dreddhead!

And since I haven't bought Dredd yet and it's only 6 in Sainsburys, maybe I WILL buy it on Wednesday.

< Message edited by Osric -- 16/9/2013 9:07:49 PM >

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 16
RE: Repeats - 17/9/2013 7:12:22 PM   
dreddhead

quote:

My apologies to the non-nutjob Dreddhead!

And since I haven't bought Dredd yet and it's only 6 in Sainsburys, maybe I WILL buy it on Wednesday.

Nice one!

(in reply to Osric)
Post #: 17
Yes, they did mention the comic-book sequel before... - 20/9/2013 11:26:26 AM   
cliff126

But seriously, this is stupid. If I wanted a sequel to Dredd, it's supposed to be a cinematic sequel. There're already hundreds of stories within the 2000AD comic book collections-a sequel in this format just feels redundant. Some big studios should be nice and donate a few million to the makers so they can get it off the ground.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dredd Gets A Comic Book Sequel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI