Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Wars Spin-Offs Will Be Origin Stories

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Star Wars Spin-Offs Will Be Origin Stories Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Wars Spin-Offs Will Be Origin Stories - 13/9/2013 9:30:53 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 13/9/2013 12:16:26 PM   
Fit Kisto

This might be old to some, but Patton Oswalt said it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?
Post #: 2
RE: RE: - 13/9/2013 12:31:26 PM   
mafiaingrid

The only origin story I want to see is that of Salacious Crumb, which would end perfectly on Tatooine, watching Boba Fett bring in a frozen Han Solo, into Jabba's Palace.

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 3
RE: - 13/9/2013 12:56:16 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oroborous

Why? Why do we always have to see the 'origin' story of characters? What happened to characters just being able to exist, pre-formed and with a history made all the more interesting by the fact that we haven't seen it? I don't like this attitude wherein an audience isn't trusted to just accept a world and it's characters that exists outside of the confines of one film's narrative, where rather than spending time with someone interesting, we have to be dragged through the process of how they became so. There's no mystery or wonder in it. It's worse still when it has to be imposed upon a character that already exists, for whom no origin story is going to live up to the imaginations of the millions who have adored them for years on end.

Well said. Prequels and after-the-fact origin stories are essentially pointless for the simple reason that they're looking backwards rather than forwards. At some point they'll have to arrive at the point where, to use Star Wars as an example, 'Episode 4' began. Empire Strikes Back's 'I am your father' scene is perhaps the best 'Whaaat?!' moment in cinema history, but it's now ruined dramatically by the mere existence of the prequels. The classic creative writing maxim is 'show, don't tell' - is it fair to say though that sometimes it's easier just to tell instead of having entire films of redundant 'showing'?
Post #: 4
RE: Yoda's background - 13/9/2013 4:49:28 PM   
NCC1701A

Disney are just going to run Star Wars in to the ground. After all we all know how the origins of Darth Vader turn out right. Used to really like Star Wars but have got bored of it now. I still enjoy Ep 4-6.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 13/9/2013 4:50:19 PM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)
Post #: 5
RE: A Bad Idea, It Would Be... - 14/9/2013 12:15:59 AM   
LEEJGM

Of the already established characters, I'd like to see a Han Solo prequel with a young Han and Boba Fett crossing paths and possibly being friends at some point. They're similar ages and it would add weight to Fett's determination to capture him in ESB.
I like the idea of Yoda being mysterious and I don't think he's interesting enough to carry a film on his own.
Post #: 6
RE: - 14/9/2013 9:41:07 AM   
jonson

The rise and fall of the Cantina band would be good. How they were interstellar stars, driven to drink and drugs, murder, extortion.
I'd make it an adult film, none of this 12A bollocks, chuck in some bad language and alien sex, perhaps even an evolutionary backstory explaining why they look like cocks with eyes.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 14/9/2013 11:56:14 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

The rise and fall of the Cantina band would be good. How they were interstellar stars, driven to drink and drugs, murder, extortion.
I'd make it an adult film, none of this 12A bollocks, chuck in some bad language and alien sex, perhaps even an evolutionary backstory explaining why they look like cocks with eyes.

Nice idea - I always wanted to know what would happen if they bumped into that bloke with an arse for a face.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 8
RE: A Bad Idea, It Would Be... - 16/9/2013 12:56:09 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: LEEJGM

Of the already established characters, I'd like to see a Han Solo prequel with a young Han and Boba Fett crossing paths and possibly being friends at some point. They're similar ages and it would add weight to Fett's determination to capture him in ESB.
I like the idea of Yoda being mysterious and I don't think he's interesting enough to carry a film on his own.

That sounds fucking terrible...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 9
star wars origins - 16/9/2013 3:19:30 PM   
TREBOR2009

lets forget the origin stories to some point. lucasfilm & Disney have a chance to finally make amends for episodes 1-3. lets expand on the star wars we all love (leah, han solo, luke skywalker). lets see an expanded universe, rather than origin stories of those characters that either died of natural causes (yoda's 900 year reign) or boba fett. we know his origin already! an obsessed little bratt who's pissed off at the jedi for lobbing off his daddy's head. please keep it real Disney, don't fall at the first hurdle, and destroy a legacy that most of us were raised on! speak to the medichloreans within. if you decide to do an origin story, base it on the bad-ass that is DARTH MAUL. his story could be amazing!!!!

< Message edited by TREBOR2009 -- 16/9/2013 3:22:41 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 10
WTF Empire Mod - 16/9/2013 11:28:36 PM   
Litshttam

ANOTHER comment removed, I see. Why is anyone's guess...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 11
RE: star wars origins - 17/9/2013 3:57:15 AM   
NeoBrowser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TREBOR2009

lets forget the origin stories to some point. lucasfilm & Disney have a chance to finally make amends for episodes 1-3. lets expand on the star wars we all love (leah, han solo, luke skywalker). lets see an expanded universe, rather than origin stories of those characters that either died of natural causes (yoda's 900 year reign) or boba fett. we know his origin already! an obsessed little bratt who's pissed off at the jedi for lobbing off his daddy's head. please keep it real Disney, don't fall at the first hurdle, and destroy a legacy that most of us were raised on! speak to the medichloreans within. if you decide to do an origin story, base it on the bad-ass that is DARTH MAUL. his story could be amazing!!!!

Darth Maul is also the one I voted for. He's the only person on that list who is interesting, though I'd enjoy a Qui-Gon spinoff (something about a young Obi-Wan being kidnapped by a crime ring while partying on Alderaan....and Qui-Gon goes alone to get him back :D )

Also, I have no interest in expanding the depthless cardboard characters of Han and Leia. Nor am I interested in Luke being any more than a wise old Jedi. New characters please!

(in reply to TREBOR2009)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Star Wars Spin-Offs Will Be Origin Stories Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI