Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A few questions on the morality and ethics of Christopher Nolan's protagonists

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> A few questions on the morality and ethics of Christopher Nolan's protagonists Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few questions on the morality and ethics of Christoph... - 11/9/2013 3:01:15 PM   
HB531

Hi, for my A2 Film Studies Coursework I am looking into the morality and ethics of the protagonists in Christopher Nolan films, specifically The Dark Knight Trilogy, Memento and The Prestigue. The coursework requires some form of questionnaire or interview, so detailed responses would come highly appreciated. Spoilers follow and even if you haven't seen all of the films covered, I'd still enjoy hearing your thoughts on the ones you have.

1. Would you say Bruce Wayne / Batman does more harm than good for the people of Gotham? You could pretty easily say that he never effectively stopped The Joker until the ending (bringing up the argument that they depend on each other), resorted to terrorist tactics such as rough interrogation and hacking into moblile phones, damaged several buildings with the Tumbler, encouraged several villains simply by existing and hid for eight years. While personally I lean on the side that he does more good than harm, though when you consider that most of the criminals are just poor people, large donations might have been an easier solution rather than just pummeling on them.

2. Would you consider Leonard Shelby a good man? While he still believes that he is hunting down his wife's killer, in actuality he's only tricked himself in order to give himself purpose. It's suggested that he has already killed someone "innocent" before in the film's ending/begining, so should he considered a serial killer, or someone just trying to save his wife?

3. Christian Bale's and Hugh Jackman's characters in The Prestigue are pretty much opposites, the first truly gifted and awkward and the other less talented but more of a showman. As they each become more successful, they can't resist trying to show the other one up, resulting in some violent and dark consequences. They sacrifice several things (lovers, fingers, morality) in order to get ahead, but do you think that they lost themselves in the process or brought out the best in each other. What I mean is that they both strived for success, but without this competition would they have got so far?

(Apologies to Empire is this does not cover all the rules in their "Thinking of asking for help with your homework? CLICK HERE!" post).
Post #: 1
RE: A few questions on the morality and ethics of Chris... - 11/9/2013 3:04:40 PM   
Rebel scum

I think you should put what you think on those three questions first. That way we'll have a viewpoint to bounce off and this thread won't be deleted!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to HB531)
Post #: 2
RE: A few questions on the morality and ethics of Chris... - 11/9/2013 3:39:33 PM   
HB531

Thanks for the fast response! I guess I'll get the ball rolling and answer the questions:
1.Although I do believe there is strong evidence against opinion, but I believe he does do more good than good. For example, Ra's Ah Ghul's attack on Gotham in Begins has already been planned before Batman's involvement and Bane would likely still attack despite him. That said, I would be interested in seeing if anyone could persuade me otherwise.
2. I do consider Shelby as a man who should be stopped. You could see his quest for purpose as quite selfish, taking and endangering other people's lives just so he can still "catch the killer" without even remembering it again.
3. I think that the two magicians did inspire each other in a way, but also did more damage to themselves than it was worth.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 3
RE: A few questions on the morality and ethics of Chris... - 11/9/2013 8:44:39 PM   
elab49

Irrespective, you are still discussing a single film and it's not really set up for discussion. We also don't do surveys.

Do feel free to try a discussion in the relevant existing Favourite Films thread but, as it stands. this doesn't meet our Homework rules requirements as it is not a discussion.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HB531)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> A few questions on the morality and ethics of Christopher Nolan's protagonists Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI