Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 9/9/2013 10:35:28 PM   
Mister Coe

OK, probably a silly irrelevant thread, but I saw ABOUT TIME this afternoon (really liked it, by the way) and I was really surprised by how many times 'fuck' was said... I always thought the 12A certificate was there to catch those films that would be normally rated PG but the distributors wanted to get a more 'adult' certificate to make the teenagers want to see them, which is fine when you want to throw violence at them...

My understanding was that a 12A rated movie could have one or, at a stretch, two F-words in it, but AT had a lot more than that...

It's not a huge issue with me, I'm just curious about where the BBFC stand on this...

Say what now?
Post #: 1
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 9/9/2013 10:39:52 PM   
elab49

quote:

There are five uses of strong language ('f**k'), which occur in different comic situations and with no undue aggression. The film also contains milder bad language, including 'hell', 'shit', 'prick', 'dickhead', 'dick', 'smart arse', 'arseing', 'bugger', 'screw that', 'screwed up', 'sod all', 'bum', 'Christ' and 'bastard'.

Context is the key for them. Also, the lack of cumulation

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 2
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 9/9/2013 11:04:41 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

There are five uses of strong language ('f**k'), which occur in different comic situations and with no undue aggression. The film also contains milder bad language, including 'hell', 'shit', 'prick', 'dickhead', 'dick', 'smart arse', 'arseing', 'bugger', 'screw that', 'screwed up', 'sod all', 'bum', 'Christ' and 'bastard'.

Christ is considered bad language? Jesus, some people are touchy.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 9/9/2013 11:38:59 PM   
Mister Coe

Fair enough.  Just thought it was a bit much in a 12A rated movie.

I wonder how long it'll be until we get five f-bombs in a PG rated movie.

Say what now?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 12:11:10 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

There were much more f-bombs in The King's Speech which had the same rating.

quote:

Never.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 5
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 12:17:58 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I remember controversy over this on the Mayo/Kermode show. I think it was Made In Dagenham got a 15 for bad language, whereas The King's Speech was obviously given a 12A. MID director Nigel Cole was pretty angry as he felt the message of MID overrode the language and he wanted young girls to see it for obvious feminist reasons which is fair enough.

This is article on the issue and cole's interview with Kermode is probably out there as well somewhere http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/sep/30/bbfc-profanity-made-in-dagenham

< Message edited by musht -- 10/9/2013 12:25:17 AM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 6
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 12:29:55 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Never.

Good point, Shifty, gotta admit I'd forgotten about that one, but if memory serves, weren't they in the context of a speech impediment  and all in a single scene?  You're absolutely right, though.

Not sure about the use of f-words in a PG movie, though.  The barriers of what is acceptable in a kiddie / family-aimed movie are falling back all the time... for example, I watched 'X-Men First Class' again the other night and was surprised about how many scenes were based around torture or slow, nasty murder... not to mention how many bloody horror films, which would have easily have been an 18 a few years ago, are now 15's... and if those scenes are now acceptable, why not throw a single f-bomb into a PG film... why not, five f-bombs are OK in a 12A?

Wow, in my old age, I'm turning into Mary Whitehouse...

Say what now?

Post #: 7
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 12:39:13 AM   
musht

For me personally I have no problem with bad language and its exposure to children. The only reason it's bad is because people think it is. If you think about 'fuck' is a fairly stupid word, it looks stupid it sounds stupid and its defnition is fairly variable. I think the C-word is probably the worst word out there as far as some people are concerned but again it's that very stigma which makes it so; in actual fact it's just another slang word for vagina and is used in the same context as 'dick'.

Yet violence which is wrong in most cases (I'm looking at you self defence) and should definitely not be encouraged amongst children deemed more appropriate and suitable.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 8
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 12:59:02 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Not sure about the use of f-words in a PG movie, though.  The barriers of what is acceptable in a kiddie / family-aimed movie are falling back all the time... for example, I watched 'X-Men First Class' again the other night and was surprised about how many scenes were based around torture or slow, nasty murder... not to mention how many bloody horror films, which would have easily have been an 18 a few years ago, are now 15's... and if those scenes are now acceptable, why not throw a single f-bomb into a PG film... why not, five f-bombs are OK in a 12A?

Wow, in my old age, I'm turning into Mary Whitehouse...

It'll never happen because the 12A certificate does not mean the film is suitable for children. It never has been, the BBFC hate the 12A about as much as we do but they were backed into a corner to create it. Any film that has the 12A rating is only suitable for kids 12 and up but if a parent thinks their younger child can handle it, it is up to them. PG is for family films or films for slightly older kids (than a U rating) so there will never be the f-bomb in one. The BBFC are very serious about this matter. They don't want 6 year olds to see The King's Speech but they didn't see any real reason to give it a 15 as the swearing was used in a speech therapy context. It's a 12, no need for something like that to be given a lower rating

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 9
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 1:19:54 AM   
directorscut

If they can justify giving a 12A to The King's Speech they can pretty much justify anything.

I'm not a fan of this context malarkey, it grays the water too much. Two f-words max at 12s and everyone knows where they stand - filmmakers and audience.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 10
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 2:44:46 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

If they can justify giving a 12A to The King's Speech they can pretty much justify anything.

They won't, though. PG means PG, they won't let F-bombs in them on purpose (Christmas Vacation has one but that was a cock-up).

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 11
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 8:38:07 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

I remember controversy over this on the Mayo/Kermode show. I think it was Made In Dagenham got a 15 for bad language, whereas The King's Speech was obviously given a 12A. MID director Nigel Cole was pretty angry as he felt the message of MID overrode the language and he wanted young girls to see it for obvious feminist reasons which is fair enough.

If he'd made a better film I might have agreed with him - a decent film about that important action has still be to made.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 12
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 9:56:26 AM   
Invader_Ace

I find the phrase "F-Bomb" more offensive than fuck.

Please stop using it and stick to good old anglosaxon swear words, please! 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 10:18:19 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

and is used in the same context as 'dick'.

Yet violence which is wrong in most cases (I'm looking at you self defence) and should definitely not be encouraged amongst children deemed more appropriate and suitable.

It's not though - the anger behind the use of the c-word in fiction is at a dramatically different level to that used with dick. In an extremely violent scene it's rarely if ever going to be the latter word used - so there are also issues of association and the reasoning behind the word. Sure there are some cool dudes who try to own the word in a matey way, but that doesn't generally reflect the fictional outbursts.

Which brings us back to context. A 'fuck' in About Time (or Curtis generally) will get more separate uses than even 2 together used in repetition in a violent or unpleasant way.

quote:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 14
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 11:54:31 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

No.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 15
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 12:09:44 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

F-bomb you and don't f-bomb tell us how to f-bomb talk you f-bomb f-bomb. F-BOMB!

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 10/9/2013 12:10:20 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 16
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 12:29:56 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Ban this sick filth! The use of "Bum" is completely unacceptable.

I find the variance in the 12A rating to be inherently problematic anyway. It seems to be such a broad sweeping rating. Parental guides are more useful but then you run the risk of spoilers I guess if both you and an underling both plan to see a movie for the first time.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 3:07:13 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

I don't find 'F-bomb' offensive, more irritating as it's (presumably) a stupid phrase cooked up by our pals across the Atlantic that can be said on mainstream TV networks.

However, apologies for going off-topic, but am I alone in finding the phrase 'meet cute' immensely grating? It crops in Empire reviews and articles so often I'm starting to think it's listed in the magazine's house style!

Post #: 18
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 7:20:57 PM   
rich

What a load of fucking balls.

To be honest, genre dictates to me whether language is appropriate to me more than the rating ever should. Things like Skyfall and Star Trek Into Darkness had a few bits that just seemed really out of place, but it's not because they are rated 12. Comic book action adventure and sci-fi flicks etc... maybe it's just me. Being picky after being desensitized for so long, I dunno.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 19
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 8:17:06 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

To be honest, genre dictates to me whether language is appropriate to me more than the rating ever should. Things like Skyfall and Star Trek Into Darkness had a few bits that just seemed really out of place, but it's not because they are rated 12. Comic book action adventure and sci-fi flicks etc... maybe it's just me. Being picky after being desensitized for so long, I dunno.

This, and basically the same example I've used since a lot of comicbook stuff went the 12A route. Could be an age thing but it just feels right for the tone of those sort of films.

"...did you just see a real bright light?"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 20
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 9:23:47 PM   
Mister Coe

Lotsa responses!

I think that sticks in my gut in the A in '12A'... under twelves have to have a parent or guardian with them?  Sorry, that ain't being enforced... I've seen plenty of 12A movies with bunches of little kiddies scattered around without any older person there to surpervise... and if I had, say, a nine-year old kiddie of my own, I wouldn't be happy about them watching a film that had half a dozen f-words in it...

Then again, who am I kidding?  The stuff kids have access to via the internet or their smartphones nowadays... the likes of ABOUT TIME is probably small-fry.

Sorry, Invader_Ace, if you don't like use of the expression 'F-bomb', I just put it in my header because a lot of people don't like the F-word... if it's any better, then just FUCK OFF!!!!

Kidding, mate...

Say what now?

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 21
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 9:45:32 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I think hearing the f-bomb (yup, doing it on purpose now) in a film you wouldn't expect it is out of place. I was a bit thrown hearing 'fuck said in Skyfall but not so much X-Men: First Class as that was a funny line but it would be out of place in, say, Fantastic Four. It's strange, really. I don't need to hear Iron Man or Thor say 'fuck' but it sounds oddly normal coming from Wolverine....

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 22
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 10/9/2013 10:16:33 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

I think hearing the f-bomb (yup, doing it on purpose now) in a film you wouldn't expect it is out of place. I was a bit thrown hearing 'fuck said in Skyfall but not so much X-Men: First Class as that was a funny line but it would be out of place in, say, Fantastic Four. It's strange, really. I don't need to hear Iron Man or Thor say 'fuck' but it sounds oddly normal coming from Wolverine....

I also was a bit shocked by hearing Dame Judi say 'I fucked up...' in SKYFALL... but the Wolverine line in XM-FC was a bit more relevant...

Say what now?

Post #: 23
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 11/9/2013 3:48:20 AM   
JCR

bbfc will allow 5 fucks at 12A, as well as About Time, also Senna has five according to bbfc.co.uk, and Monsters has 4 or 5.

This usually isn't an issue though as the mpaa are much stricter, and most PG13/12A films will stick to their guidelines. (Monsters and About Time are both 12A and mpaa R for language)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 24
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 11/9/2013 7:16:15 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

I also was a bit shocked by hearing Dame Judi say 'I fucked up...' in SKYFALL.

I don't remember hearing that at all, whereabouts is it?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 25
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 11/9/2013 9:03:40 AM   
matty_b

Towards the end, where they're boarding up Skyfall itself.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 26
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 11/9/2013 9:22:35 AM   
Dead Mike

2 fucks is acceptable but 3 isn't?!Is that the line where children will be corrupted? I'd suggest any parents taking issue with there being 'fucks' in 12A rated films try evesdropping on kids conversations or standing in a school playground, you'll hear more 'fucks' than in a screening of Goodfellas.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 11/9/2013 9:28:24 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: JCR

bbfc will allow 5 fucks at 12A, as well as About Time, also Senna has five according to bbfc.co.uk, and Monsters has 4 or 5.

This usually isn't an issue though as the mpaa are much stricter, and most PG13/12A films will stick to their guidelines. (Monsters and About Time are both 12A and mpaa R for language)

Yeah, the MPAA is stricter on language and sex/nudity, whereas they tend to be more lenient on violence/horror. There are many PG-13 horror films in the US that get 15 certificates here and there have even been PG-13s i the past that have gotten 18 certificates here for whatever reason. On top of the 12A films you mentioned, The King's Speech and The Parole Officer (starring Steve Coogan) have all got R ratings in the US. The King's Speech got re-released in an edited PG-13 form too.

(in reply to JCR)
Post #: 28
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 11/9/2013 12:58:11 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dead Mike

2 fucks is acceptable but 3 isn't?!Is that the line where children will be corrupted? I'd suggest any parents taking issue with there being 'fucks' in 12A rated films try evesdropping on kids conversations or standing in a school playground, you'll hear more 'fucks' than in a screening of Goodfellas.

Hang out in a lot of playgrounds, do you?

Teenagers, surely, but under 12s? Depends what shitty area one might live in. I'm sure there are some pre-pubescent kids who swear all the time but they're hardly the norm.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 29
RE: F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... - 11/9/2013 1:26:14 PM   
Dead Mike

Yes, during my teacher training it was part & parcel but nice try.

It's got nothing to do with living in a shitty area, kids swear & even if your precious little angel isn't one of them (probably still is) they'll have heard other kids swearing.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> F-Bombs in 12A-rated movies... Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI