Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Great Beauty - 6/9/2013 10:31:40 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Neither Florid nor Fellini - 6/9/2013 10:31:40 PM   
elab49

I think Fellini is the great red herring here - the superificial set-up and easy go-to that doesn't bear real examination. Where his dreadful La Dolce Vita has caricature that seems to come from dreadful directorial choices rather than any real substantive theme, Sorrentino's disreputable rich vibrate with life, with depth, with reality. Nothing in Fellini resembles the gut punch Jep receives that moves to start altering his world, one he is seemingly tired of - going too far with a friend. seeing no point to ridiculous interviewees (yet genuine feeling still brings a tear to his eye). It's more coherent than mere self-indulgence, far more so. The oddities flow from the start - not merely a tourist overcome but realising the very Italian setting is overlaid by singing in German. There is more than enough in the film to make you question Sorrentino's view of Rome - certainly enough to make me wonder if Naples looks at Rome as Glasgow does Edinburgh.

I agree with the 5 star ratings elsewhere. Toni Servillo is magnificent.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Fascinating film that stays with you long after - 16/9/2013 6:32:13 PM   
The Real Alex Young

Rather disappointed in the paper thin review of a near two-and-a-half-hour feast for the eyes. Though I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the magnificent Tony Servillo, I'm not going to pretend that I understood all of the themes or subtle hints in the film, so to go to Empire and only find a paragraph of filler that lacks any substantial comment hardly reflects well on the "World's Biggest Movie Magazine".

Post #: 3
RE: The Great Beauty - 31/12/2013 12:08:06 PM   
chang

Plays at times like a more conventional, less daring version of 1972ís Roma...On its own merits, Sorrentinoís film ainít half-bad, but itís no Fellini picture.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Great Beauty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI