Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
White House Down - 6/9/2013 2:50:34 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Sounds like fun... - 6/9/2013 2:50:34 PM  1 votes
KeithyT77

Based on this review, it sounds like the classic "Die Hard on a..." films I loved at the cinema in the early 90s. None of the recent Die Hard films, or even Olympus Has Fallen has not matched any of those films (Under Siege, Passenger 57, Speed, etc) for excitement and jeopardy, as most recent films turn down the violence to PG-13/12A levels, and use CGI for set pieces and gun-shot wounds over squibs and blood packs, and genuine stunt performance and model shots, as well as snappy dialogues and back-and-forths, and recognisable henchmen with unique skills per person.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
The fantastic Mr Foxx. - 14/9/2013 4:11:40 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

In the midst of a screenplay that doesn't quite know what it wants to be, Foxx and Tatum seem to bring the only genuine feeling to the film.
White House Down is enjoyable enough, but ultimately it's the empty can, rattling away.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 3
nice vest but Bruce he aint - 14/9/2013 5:53:16 PM  1 votes
findogask

better than the earlier "Olympus has fallen", and im Scottish, Tatum has all the humour of a polystyrene cup, but thankfully he is surrounded by better actors ( including his little girl) Foxx carries the movie, and although Woods must groan every time a script like this lands on his doormat he still earns every dollar of his paycheak . the CGI helicopters look like they have been "cut and pasted" and an RPG fired from that range wouldn't even scratch an Abrams tank ( but I,m telling you the plot) but all this aside if you have had a hard week at work I would tottally recommend it , it has enough witty one liners to make it the action film of all summer . ( the tour guide very nearly steals the movie)

Post #: 4
Electro for President... - 15/9/2013 4:06:57 PM  1 votes
Lol man

The script is not anything special and sometimes it feels like the movie has stayed in the same place for the past 15 minutes, however Tatum and Foxx have a good on-screen chemistry, with plenty of humorous moments. But ultimately, it feels like a wannabe Die Hard that has overstayed its welcome.

Post #: 5
Once again, White House security is lacking... - 16/9/2013 3:30:11 PM   
bretty

Well, very Die Hard and a shame it came out so soon after Olympus Has Fallen (and shared so many obvious plot points) In fact the author Vince Flynn wrote a similar plot a few years ago featuring his Mitch Rapp character. Sadly Flynn is no longer with us, but the Rapp series is well worth catching.
Most of this was fun in a mindless sort of way, reasonably well cast even if the plot ran along the usual lines of the bad guy being one of the POTUS closest chums, in this case the head of the Secret Service. A laugh out loud moment with a small girl and a flag, but otherwise all you could ask for from a mindless action movie.

Post #: 6
Once again, White House security is lacking... - 16/9/2013 3:30:13 PM   
bretty

Well, very Die Hard and a shame it came out so soon after Olympus Has Fallen (and shared so many obvious plot points) In fact the author Vince Flynn wrote a similar plot a few years ago featuring his Mitch Rapp character. Sadly Flynn is no longer with us, but the Rapp series is well worth catching.
Most of this was fun in a mindless sort of way, reasonably well cast even if the plot ran along the usual lines of the bad guy being one of the POTUS closest chums, in this case the head of the Secret Service. A laugh out loud moment with a small girl and a flag, but otherwise all you could ask for from a mindless action movie.

Post #: 7
What the Foxx were you thinking Jamie? - 27/9/2013 11:51:11 AM   
C K Dexter Haven

Django for President?
After the career height of Django Unchained, supported by the sublime Christophe Waltz; whatever possessed Jamie Foxx to accept a role in this piece of hokum alongside the most wodden, charmless blank expression bearing leading man since Captain Scarlett (the Gerry Anderson puppet).
OK, so I'm sure Mr Emmerich and co producer Tatum waved much moolah in front of the usually Fantastic Mr Fox, but surely JF could have politely declined -as could a stellar cast of reliable actors like James Woods, Maggie Gyllenhall, Jason Clark and Richard Jenkins.

Sometimes a good payday is forgivable -and whilst this film isn't without it moments, less than 24 hours on from seeing it I cannot for the life of me recall one of them.

I never thought I'd think 'this is no Olympus has Fallen' about any film; but there; I've said it.
Gerard Butler's charm and acting chops make Channing Tatum seem like one of Jeff Dunham's ventriloquist's dolls, only with far less personality.

In fact, I can see 'Walter save the White House from Achmed the Dead Terrorist' on some screenwriters desktop right now. -and I'd still wager it would be worth seeing before the next Channing tatum as an action hero movie I'll pay to see.

Post #: 8
RE: White House Down - 12/10/2013 12:49:35 AM   
R W

With a title like White House Down, you’d might remember this year’s other white house-set actioner Olympus Has Fallen in which director Antoine Fuqua took a po-faced and frankly dull approach to a pitch that is essentially “Die Hard in the White House”. However, the president’s house has been invaded, destroyed, etc. for so many years, the most iconic being Roland Emmerich’s very own Independence Day, which itself is used in a gag in Emmerich’s latest.

Whilst struggling to develop a better relationship with her daughter Emily (Joey King), John Cale (Channing Tatum) is determined to get a job at the Secret Service. During a tour around the White House, John and Emily become hostages in a terrorist attack, and it is up to the struggling father/agent to single-handedly save the President of the United States (Jamie Foxx).

When Roland Emmerich’s latest attack on the White House was released months ago, it got poor reviews and was a box office flop. In regards to the latter, this was probably due to the release of its rival movie Olympus Has Fallen and being that it is a Roland Emmerich movie, you would think it would be a hit, despite the usual critical derision. However, like Emmerich’s ultimate disaster movie 2012, there is undeniably a large amount of stupidity, but there is fun to be had with it.

As it no doubt recycles the “Die Hard in the White House” pitch, there are clear references to John McTiernan’s legendary actioner from dialogue scenes done through radio, helicopters flying near the streets, Jimmi Simpson as the comedic computer hacker to even Channing Tatum wearing a white vest.

Despite these obvious nods, screenwriter James Vanderbilt understands that there have been movies of this sort and acknowledges them a rather parodic fashion, while Roland Emmerich knows this script requires and throws everything in the kitchen sink such as tanks, jets and a car chase in which the president whips out a rocket launcher. As always with Emmerich, it can get overlong and contrived so if you don’t perceive this as po-faced which it clearly isn’t, you’re in for the ride.

Often actors would approach this kind of movie in an over-serious fashion, which is perhaps a sign of their ego. Yet, I find the actors just enjoying themselves and knowing what they’re doing is plain silly, no more so than the comic chemistry between Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx whose role as the US President isn’t really the gung-ho action type. The supporting cast are having a bowl as well from the villains including James Woods who’s perfectly typecast as the old-school sleazy baddie, while Joey King manages not to have an annoying screen presence.

While not quite up with the more explosive back catalogue of Roland Emmerich, but a major step-up than the dull po-faced blockbuster Olympus Has Fallen as White House Down is a shameless silly actioner that knows what it wants to be.

Post #: 9
RE: White House Down - 12/10/2013 10:56:11 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Sorry,but no.
Olympus has Fallen is way better than this mess.
That was old school Die Hard action for adults-this was watered down kiddie crap.
And Tatum,a mannequin would be a better actor.
Truly awful.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 10
Trailer was better... - 14/10/2013 3:36:58 PM   
Stephenh28

The trailer for this film gave it hope, i actually walked out must have been 15mins towards the end am not to sure. It looked promising but it really falls flat....would never watch again

Post #: 11
RE: Trailer was better... - 16/10/2013 9:47:48 PM   
BigScreenBullfrog

Blows up the White House, but definitely won't blow you away.

After 5 minutes of watching the whole film can be predicted. It had some entertaining one-liners, but really doesn't give any really punch.

There is, however, hope for this film with things blowing up left, right and center. Mildly entertaining if you turn your brain off for 90 minutes.

I gave it ★★½

Read my full review HERE
www.bigscreenbullfrog.com

(in reply to Stephenh28)
Post #: 12
JUST AS DAFT AS THE OTHER ONE..... - 1/4/2014 5:16:38 PM   
ROTGUT

Olympus has fallen and this film is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Don’t waste your time. There’s rubbish and then there’s entertaining rubbish. This film leans toward the former. Rubbish - pure and simple.

ONE STAR

Post #: 13
RE: JUST AS DAFT AS THE OTHER ONE..... - 24/6/2014 10:41:23 AM   
Vitamin F

Every scene, every line of dialogue...dredged up from the sludge at the bottom of the cliché pool.
Die Hard with a family friendly edge (i.e. bloodless gun battles, no swearing) this was like watching a DH parody for a lot of its running time.

Ok for teens who have never heard of John McClane I suppose.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> White House Down Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI