Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Obscure films from years ago you never got round to seeing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Obscure films from years ago you never got round to seeing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Obscure films from years ago you never got round to seeing - 5/9/2013 2:28:28 PM   
jackcarter

i remember back in 1994 or thereabout reading a review about Nostradamus in Empire or Starburst and it looked very intriguing in a Sci Fi meets Medieval way (photos/poster showed spaceships/futuristic city, interesting cast F Murray Abraham, Julia Ormond, Rutger Hauer - who made me think it had abit of a Blade Runner element/style to it along with the future stuff - remember in the mid 90s BR was getting a new lease of life) however the reviews werent good and it didnít seem to have a very wide release so I never saw it (and never got around to renting it)

Anyway finally saw some of it the other night on a freeview channel (the last 20 minutes or so - interesting 2001 type end)

Will have to make sure to see it when its on again

Funny the idea of seeing it is probably better than the actual seeing it (see the director went on to do Battlefield Earth)

Kafka is also another film I had a similar urge to see when I read about it way back in the early 90s in the pages of Cinefantastique (think I bought a Star Trek issue but there was a review of Kafka in it). Few years later I saw Dark City (at the cinema) and noticed in reviews etc they always mentioned it was Kafkaesque and was reminded back to the movie I never saw (and still havent)

Both of those films arent really available on dvd either (well they are but too much £)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 5/9/2013 3:49:16 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Obscure films from years ago you wanted to see but ... - 5/9/2013 2:52:15 PM   
AxlReznor

Pretty sure 'Kafkaesque' isn't a reference to the movie, but to the works of the author said movie is about. But seeing as you already mentioned it, I've been wanting to see Dark City for years, but it's never on any of the Freeview channels, and Lovefilm don't have it available to stream.

There's quite a few Chinese and Japanese films that fall into this category too... for example, almost everything by Zhang Yimou prior to Hero. I've managed to see Not One Less, The Road Home and Red Sorghum, but nothing else.

My Watchlist currently has about 3,000 films on it, the majority of which I assume I'll never be able to find.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 2
RE: Obscure films from years ago you wanted to see but ... - 5/9/2013 3:50:51 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Pretty sure 'Kafkaesque' isn't a reference to the movie, but to the works of the author said movie is about.

yes quite right

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 3
RE: Obscure films from years ago you wanted to see but ... - 5/9/2013 9:22:57 PM   
Mister Coe

Just watched 'Night Of The Creeps', a film I never got round to watching when I was a teenager and films came in clunky VHS boxes, but I never paid my money and so never saw it... a pretty enjoyable flick with some truly horrendous hairstyles...

Think I might need to post it on the 'Wierd / Strange' forum... 

< Message edited by Mister Coe -- 5/9/2013 9:24:28 PM >

Say what now?

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 4
RE: Obscure films from years ago you wanted to see but ... - 6/9/2013 9:41:44 AM   
Whistler

Perhaps not totally obscure, but when I was younger we had these big drawers of VHS tapes each with a couple of movies recorded. I had watched pretty much all of them, but there was always one I never got round to: Dr. Zhivago. I had no idea what it was at the time but I still kind of wanted to watch it. Just never did. Then a few years later (when I used to read the TV guide every Saturday morning) I saw it was on that week, meant to watch it, then forgot. I'm sure there are several ways I can get it these days, but still haven't seen it.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 5
RE: Obscure films from years ago you wanted to see but ... - 6/9/2013 10:28:18 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Perhaps not totally obscure, but when I was younger we had these big drawers of VHS tapes each with a couple of movies recorded. I had watched pretty much all of them, but there was always one I never got round to: Dr. Zhivago. I had no idea what it was at the time but I still kind of wanted to watch it. Just never did. Then a few years later (when I used to read the TV guide every Saturday morning) I saw it was on that week, meant to watch it, then forgot. I'm sure there are several ways I can get it these days, but still haven't seen it.

I recently got it on Blu Ray. I love it.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 6
RE: Obscure films from years ago you wanted to see but ... - 28/9/2013 9:09:34 PM   
Moorish

Been meaning to watch Night of the Creeps for many years. I bought it on DVD, it will be in the shrink wrapping somewhere.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 7
RE: Obscure films from years ago you wanted to see but ... - 14/10/2013 4:32:07 AM   
siegfried

Every now and then someone on the Forum mentions the 1950 film noir Gun Crazy, with Peggy Cummins and John Dall. I know it's rated very highly, but it's one I've never gotten round to - which is probably pretty shameful when film noir is pretty much my favourite genre.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Obscure films from years ago you never got round to seeing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI