Riddick - 4/9/2013 11:31:35 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Riddick - 4/9/2013 4:10:15 PM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empire Admin

Post your comments on <a href=/reviews/review.asp?FID=138091><b>this article</b></a>

Er,....where's the article??

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Riddick - 4/9/2013 4:11:11 PM   
Artoo

Never mind - I got it! It's not on the main site though for some strange reason....

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 3
AN IMPROVEMENT!!! - 4/9/2013 9:23:49 PM   
Ramone87

Entertaining instalment in the Popular Franchise!!

So it's back to basics for shaven headed Furyan Richard B. Riddick and all the better for it! This is a vast improvement on the overblown Chronicles which left him pretty vacant and aimless...good thing is that it only dwells briefly on his leadership of becoming the Necromongers new leader before being left for dead on a Barron alien world.

Director David Twohy takes Riddick back to his mean and moody roots he first manifested in Pitch Black. We first encounter Riddick wounded and wondering the vast alien landscapes on his marooned world recollecting his time with the Necromongers, namely Vaako ( Karl Urban) before encountering some nasty beasts on his exiled world. This is a lengthy time here, could have been shortened but it's entertaining watching Riddick with new found CGI wolf creature do battle with slimy clawed alien beasties on land and water.

Things start getting more interesting when a team of mercenary's turn up looking for Riddick but get more then they bargained for when they get hunted themselves by hordes of alien creatures. So it's plenty of hack and slashing and shooting action as Riddick teams up to fend of the alien beasties. The bounty hunters are typical cliché fair for this kind of Sci-fi led by the likes of Matt Nable and Jordi Molla in grizzly alpha male commando modes.

So ensues some cool set pieces and a nice nocturnal climax with Riddick in goggle mode hunting down the alien beasties once and for all.

GOOD Stuff!!!

WATCH IT!!!

Post #: 4
RE: AN IMPROVEMENT!!! - 5/9/2013 12:09:29 PM   
No Diggity

The first part of the movie is way too long, and pretty pointless, apart from allowing producer Vin Diesel to go through his seven facial 'moods' learned at acting school...it then picks up and is alot of fun (apart from some chatup lines that a rapist might cringe to use)...

(in reply to Ramone87)
Post #: 5
what's wrong with the same? - 6/9/2013 8:25:08 AM   
ppointin

Knew exactly what i was getting and got it. Was interesting to note that in reading previous about the films budget when i saw some ropey CGI i let it go because i know they were cutting back and it made it feel the same but different... SPOILER: no problem in killing a CGI "dog" then - good form

Post #: 6
Not bad - 6/9/2013 9:05:01 AM   
bretty

Ok, a bit low budget but I thought it completed a few strands from the first two films quite well. Empire rightly points out that it is a film of three parts but they all worlk resonably well and VD is a strong and entertaining character.
I hope it leads to a couple more, Riddick is too good a character to just leave heading off into the distance.

Post #: 7
Two Stars Too Many - 6/9/2013 4:12:19 PM   
JackSlater

This movie is utter dreck.

Vin Diesel does a sub-par Bear Grylls impression for the first act. We then need to endure two teams of muscle-bound mercs spout rejected clichés from 'The Expendables' for the second act. With an Xbox-style "if it moves, shoot it; if it doesn't move, shoot it anyway" battle to finish this most unnecessary of sequels since the last outing of Riddick.

Did nobody realise the most interesting aspect of 'Pitch Black' was the aliens?! Drop another unsuspecting bunch of space tourists on that planet, and I'd pay to see it.

Save your time and money on this Complete Galactic Incompetence, and just watch 'Pitch Black' instead.

Post #: 8
Two Stars Too Many - 6/9/2013 4:31:51 PM   
JackSlater

This movie is utter dreck.

Vin Diesel does a sub-par Bear Grylls impression for the first act. We then need to endure two teams of muscle-bound mercs spout rejected clichés from 'The Expendables' for the second act. With an Xbox-style "if it moves, shoot it; if it doesn't move, shoot it anyway" battle to finish this most unnecessary of sequels since the last outing of Riddick.

Did nobody realise the most interesting aspect of 'Pitch Black' was the aliens?! Drop another unsuspecting bunch of space tourists on that planet, and I'd pay to see it.

Save your time and money on this Complete Galactic Incompetence, and just watch 'Pitch Black' instead.

Post #: 9
Pitch Black...Part 2 ! Vin Diesel back on form... - 6/9/2013 8:59:01 PM   
Makman

Yes, I agree with the main reviewer that it is 3 films in one movie. Gone is most of the terrible 'clunky' dialogue and out of place 'flash gordon' elements of 'Chronicles' and the movie is closer in tone to Pitch Black. 'Chronicles' gave Riddick a terrible back story and I would have preferred a 'Man with No Name' approach. Riddick is much better than 'Wolverine'. It is amazing what they have done with a low budget - as the action and SFX looks amazing. Hopefully there will be another 2 Riddick films,

Post #: 10
Riddick(ulous) - 6/9/2013 9:51:24 PM   
kittybinks

If this film is as rated by Chris Hewitt wtf is he doing scoring 3 Stars. Unless I'm missing something 3 stars under Empire's own scale is GOOD? So is this a case of schizophrenia? Or is he awarding 3 stars to one movie and watched something completely different?

Post #: 11
I Am Riddick. - 7/9/2013 2:31:03 PM   
HolleePopp

I felt like through most of it I was watching I Am Legend but on another planet. They even stuck to killing the dog. Not to say it isn't bad, it's pretty much what I expected, and I enjoyed it thusly. Better than Chronicles of Riddick but not as good as Pitch Black. It didn't really tie up all the loose ends and I feel another film is needed just so that Riddick can find Furya and kill Karl Urban, the story doesn't feel finished just yet. But it was enjoyable and I'd recommend it.

Post #: 12
RE: Riddick - 10/9/2013 12:57:08 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

After the opening twenty minutes in the company of Vin, you begin to pray for the other characters to arrive; if only because of how embarrassing it's getting watching Diesel be out-acted by an animated dog...

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 13
Diesel Power! - 11/9/2013 12:43:13 AM   
sirvolkar

Saw this for the second time today and enjoyed it just as much this time round. First up, I love Pitch Black. But I also love Chronicles. Beyond Serenity I think it is one of the most interesting Sci-Fi settings of the last decade. Yeah, it had cheesy elements, but it was fun! Riddick continues the trend. This film is good old fashioned fun and pays tribute to both the movies that came before - expanding the Chronicles setting and returning to the down and dirty nature of PB. And not since the highly under-rated Hellboy series have I seen a budget stretched to such creative lengths. Whether you like the film, whether you like Diesel and Twohy, the truth of the matter is that these two guys have stuck to their guns and created the film that they wanted to make. They have shown creativity and passion and that alone deserves to be recognised. I hope this film and its creators all the best and can't wait for the next one (hppefuly this time set on Not-Not-Furiya and with the retunr of Dredd...I mean, Karl Urban).

Post #: 14
RE: Diesel Power! - 11/9/2013 10:37:31 AM   
Filmfan 2

I have to say that I enjoyed it, though it has many failings. I hope it does well enough to warrant one more outing, with Riddick getting back to his home world.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to sirvolkar)
Post #: 15
DIS AIN'T NUTHIN NEW..... - 14/9/2013 3:39:42 PM   
ROTGUT

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery – isn’t that what the old saying is? Riddick is nothing more than pastiche – an imitation of a previous (and much more superior) film. The original Pitch Black movie was a lean, mean action machine, a beautifully “pitched” piece of sci - fi horror where you weren’t sure who was going to survive. This newer version is more of the same but without the comic irony and the former’s black heart and soul. Familiar action beats abound….SPOILERS : Riddick gets chained up (again)…. the planet is crawling with deadly monsters (again)… they have to get the power cells to power the ships to get off the planet (again). But arguably, the very best parts of the film are the first 20 odd minutes where barely a word is spoken and we watch as our broken hero tries to survive against seemingly desperate and overwhelming odds. Riddick has a pleasing visual aesthetic and some of the deaths are quite inventive – but the narrative never really truly flies and the ending seemed like a bit of a cop out. Worth a look - but don’t expect greatness. THREE STARS

Post #: 16
RE: Riddick - 21/9/2013 6:54:19 PM   
R W

It’s been thirteen years since David Twohy’s low-budget sci-fi horror Pitch Black which was not only featured a star-making performance from Vin Diesel – apart from his voice work in The Iron Giant – but his role of the antihero Richard B. Riddick has gained a cult following, leading to having his own franchise. Following the big-budget but lacklustre sequel The Chronicles of Riddick, Twohy and Diesel reunite and going to their old roots with the simply-titled Riddick.

Exiled from the Necromongers, the former Lord Marshall but still convict Riddick is left stranded on a dying planet he initially thought was his homeworld Furya. Teaming up with a space dog, Riddick fights for survival, particularly towards creepy crawlies. In order to escape this potential threat, he enlists he summons bounty hunters to the planet, aiming to steal a ship.

After the failed attempt at putting Riddick in a Star Wars-styled adventure, this latest instalment is more Pitch Black 2.0 as there is a deserted planet, a manhunt against Riddick and later a fight with monsters in the pitch black. However, Riddick is at its best during the first act which is very much a one-man show with Riddick and his chemistry with a CGI space dog. Yet, after the great beginning, things don’t get as interesting once more people are thrown in the mix.

As always the case with recent sci-fi pics such as I Am Legend and Oblivion, the filmmakers don’t stick to the one-man show and with Riddick, not one but two clans of bounty hunters go after the eponymous Riddick. This is where the familiarity of Pitch Black comes in as the story is told through their POV and while there is fun to be have some of the characters, particularly former professional wrestler Dave Baustista (later be seen as Drax the Destroyer in next year’s Guardians of the Galaxy) as Diaz, the portrayal of the female characters are poorly handled, including Battlestar Galactica’s Katee Sackoff being the subject of some gags of misogyny.

Given the many flaws the film suffers from, including the connections to its predecessors, David Twohy – with a limited budget – provides a level of enjoyment from the atmospheric first act displaying the stunning art direction to the Aliens-ish shoot ‘em up sequences in the later stages featuring the well-designed monsters, despite some moments of Deja-vu from the better first instalment of the series.

Flawed and won’t won any newcomers to the franchise but after the poor Star Wars imitations of the last film, Riddick is a suitable return for the antihero and hopefully his last.

Post #: 17
RE: Riddick - 23/9/2013 12:03:05 PM   
film man aidy

Really disappointed with this folks. I loved Pitch Black, thought Chronicles was solid enough, but this was just plain weak. Just a complete rehash of the first, but not in good way. Way, way too long given the material(which was slight) . It could have lost a good 20 minutes off the running time.
Whilst I appreciate what Diesel and co were trying to achieve with this stripped down tale, there just wasn't enough meat on the bones story wise. In a nutshell - Riddick gets marooned, and it's hunted by a bunch of mercs. That's it!

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 18
RE: Riddick - 26/9/2013 11:28:03 PM   
StevenKThomas

I heard that Vin Diesel put forward his own money on this film expecting it to blow up. Would make sense since its release came out shortly after the last Fast and Furious movie. Which one are we up to now? 6? 7? Anyway, what doesn't make sense is that the first release did not have that much acclaim at the box office, so Vin Diesel's support on a project that has either little or an iffy following seems like he's rolling dice with the odds highly against his favor. With world wide release I know it'll help his revenue, but this just didn't seem like the wisest business decision. If anything I'm thinking other production companies will be less inclined to hear him voice his opinion on projects after this.

www.youtube.com/TheSStandsFor

www.twitter.com/StevenKThomas

Post #: 19
RE: Riddick - 28/9/2013 5:34:06 PM   
BigScreenBullfrog

Vin Diesel always looks in his element playing Riddick, it suits him better than any role he's played i my opinion. Far better than the second film, Riddick plenty of good action, lots of blood and some crazy ass alien creatures. A lot of good fun.

I agree that the story could have used a little work but I still found it thoroughly entertaining and well worth a watch.

3 and a half stars

Edit - if you have a personal site then it goes in your sig. Empire prohibits link advertising in posts

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/9/2013 6:21:02 PM >

(in reply to StevenKThomas)
Post #: 20
RE: Two Stars Too Many - 30/9/2013 4:45:47 PM   
Mxt

I have to admit while I did enjoy the film I agree with you. It felt a bit more like a poor remake of the original Pitch Black. Which I did go home and watch.

"A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one King."
Homer, the Iliad.

(in reply to JackSlater)
Post #: 21
RE: Two Stars Too Many - 10/10/2013 2:10:23 AM   
CriticNumberOne

It was ok,what were people expecting on a low budget?
There will be worse,more expensive films made.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Mxt)
Post #: 22
Adsolute Rubbish. - 9/12/2013 3:56:16 PM   
Gaschau

I cannot believe this got ANY stars. Absolute rubbish, rubbish and then some. Vin Diesel cannot act, terribly choreographed actions scenes, very very bad CGI and was about to throw up from the tactless, tactless sexism reducing Starbuck to a mere sex object everybody seemed to be waiting to bang... Basically 2 hours of my life I will never get back... Twohy and Diesel, please stop making these films!!!!

Post #: 23
RE: Adsolute Rubbish. - 31/12/2013 11:55:17 AM   
chang

The movie's cheap but has a sense of humor, and it's smart enough to let Riddick just get back to being a badass

(in reply to Gaschau)
Post #: 24
Big disappointment. - 13/2/2014 3:57:00 PM   
Nicky C

This is essentially three short films tacked together rather than being a coherent feature. I liked the first section very much but if felt like a webisode or a short. Section two had more cliche than a script from a student film and section three was the ending from Pitch Black. I'm an unapologetic fan of Chronicles so I already have a high tolerance for crap. But this is a mess.

Post #: 25
Pretty good - 20/2/2014 1:45:06 AM   
dfooster

Don't listen to the naysayers. If you bought into the first two then this fits into trilogy quite nicely. I loved pitch black but it is over rated really. This is nearly as good as pitch black and slightly better than chronicles.

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Riddick Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI