Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rush - 3/9/2013 2:09:45 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/9/2013 2:09:45 PM   
Sinatra

That is one of the best Empire reviews I have read in quite a while.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 3/9/2013 4:46:16 PM   
hemibell

Agreed, this is a great review. I haven't seen the film but I feel like I already know what to expect.

Post #: 3
- 3/9/2013 4:46:34 PM   
hemibell

Agreed, this is a great review. I haven't seen the film but I feel like I already know what to expect.

Post #: 4
- 3/9/2013 4:46:42 PM   
hemibell

Post #: 5
Almost perfect - 3/9/2013 7:23:37 PM   
Michael Hart

I agree. A very insightful review. The only thing criticism I'd make is the use of 'Brit accent'. What is that? Is it someone from Orkney or Birmingham or Cardiff? Is there even such a thing? I think if you mean English because clearly that's the best and most accurate adjective to describe the accent employed in the film then please use it.

Post #: 6
Nothing short of outstanding. - 4/9/2013 12:06:27 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

From the first frame to the last, this film is absolutely electric, and even an unbeliever like me was hooked. If Howard can get 'me' to enjoy a movie about sport, he must be doing everything right.

Rush is an absolute triumph. You need to see this film, and you need to see it on a big screen.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 7
Winning Formula - 4/9/2013 8:26:33 AM   
Doubledown1138

To say that the portrayal of motorsport in film to date has been patchy is an understatement. There have been the good (Grand Prix, Le Mans, Days of Thunder – yes, I like it) the bad (Bobby Deerfield) and the downright ugly (Driven). It is a difficult sport to translate onto the silver screen, compounded by the fact that people who don’t like motor racing tend to stay away from these films in droves. (I’m not counting the Fast and the Furious franchise, by the way.)

But that all changed in 2011 with the release of Asif Kapadia’s stunning film, Senna. It was a massive critical and commercial success and managed to appeal to both F1 fans and non-fans alike. It proved that if you have a compelling story to tell with engaging characters then you have the makings of a great film that can transcend interest in an individual sport. AND…it was a documentary to boot.

So along comes Ron Howard’s Rush, which tells the dramatic true story of the 1976 Formula One title fight between the handsome, flamboyant British driver, James Hunt and the meticulous, no-nonsense Austrian, Niki Lauda (who was cruelly nicknamed “The Rat” due to his appearance). The two men were bitter rivals on and off the circuit and this action-packed, dramatic season marked the very pinnacle of their conflict. James Hunt himself once remarked of the nail-biting 1976 season – “You couldn’t make this up!” And it makes for a compelling story.

The film starts with the cars lining up on the grid for the German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring, one of the most dangerous circuits in the world. But once the race begins we flash back to an earlier time when both men were starting to make their way in the world of motor racing. We spend time with each driver as they fight their way through Formula 3, meet their respective partners, make the leap into F1 and forge their rivalry. It’s an effective device as by the time we find ourselves back on the starting grid of the German Grand Prix again, we feel as if we know the two men behind behind the visors and, more importantly, we care about them. The two men were polar opposites of one another but were both equally driven by a mutual desire to beat one another on the track.

Many of the key races and defining moments of the season are faithfully recreated. Ron Howard has done an incredible job of putting the audience right in the middle of the furious action. The racing scenes are frenetic but easy to follow, which is a rare thing these days. Cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle has given the film a very stark, 1970s look. Another admirable thing about the movie is the minimal use of CG to achieve the on-track spectacle. Howard spent a lot of time shooting real F1 cars at real racing circuits with precision drivers at the wheel, recreating classic overtakes and daring maneuvers. The film also seamlessly blends real racing footage from the era to flesh out the action. And it often reminds us that these men raced at a time when drivers frequently lost their lives in the pursuit of glory. Composer Hans Zimmer does a great job as always with an understated, and frequently moving, score.

But the real triumph of Rush, however, is the casting of the two lead roles. Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and Daniel Brühl (Inglourious Basterds) were born to play James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

Hemsworth arguably has the easier job of the two. He gets to have all the fun playing the hard-drinking, womanizing, flamboyant, playboy racing driver. But he also manages to convincingly capture Hunt’s darker moments too (of which he had plenty it seems).

But the real revelation here is Daniel Brühl as Niki Lauda. I simply don’t have enough superlatives to describe his performance. He simply IS Lauda. Anyone with even a passing interest in Formula One will know that Lauda is still a familiar face around the paddock and he is often interviewed at race meetings. I have seen him on my television screen many times and have heard him speak often and Brühl just NAILS it. It is truly astonishing. And to see what Lauda went through in the wake of his horrific accident has given me a newfound respect for the man.

I was a little worried about half an hour into the film that maybe audiences wouldn’t like EITHER of the two protagonists as they are both quite unlikeable in their own way. But trust me, by the end of the film you’ll be rooting for one (or maybe even both) of them.

The supporting cast do a good job too but make no mistake, this film belongs to Hemsworth and Brühl…equally. If there is any justice in this world one or both of the actors will at the very least be nominated for their performances. They are simply stunning. And the very brave decision to use some real-life archive of Hunt and Lauda at the very end of the film further justifies the decision to cast these two actors. It was a risky decision and could have shattered the illusion but it isn’t jarring at all. It just serves to remind us that Hunt and Lauda were real people and it also further illustrates what a great job Hemsworth and Brühl have done in their respective roles.

As a big Formula One fan I was a little bit nervous going to see Rush as I was afraid it would just be a trite “Hollywood” version of F1. Nobody likes to see their favourite sport misrepresented in any medium, especially cinema. But F1 nuts need not worry – Howard and his team have really done their homework. After seeing the film I even went on to YouTube to see some of the incidents portrayed in the movie and they got it absolutely spot-on. Of course there is a little bit of dramatic license taken here and there but there is a lot of story to cram into two hours so the occasional shortcut is forgivable.
I would also strongly advise that if you are not a fan of F1 or you are not familiar with the outcome of the 1976 season, then do yourself a favour and don’t look it up before you see this film. It will make for an even more rewarding experience.

I really hope Rush is a success. It deserves to be as it’s a cracking film with a compelling story to tell and it contains two incredible central performances. And it will hopefully open the gates for more quality motor racing films in the future. Unmissable.

< Message edited by Doubledown1138 -- 4/9/2013 8:27:20 AM >

Post #: 8
Haven't seen the film yet - 4/9/2013 2:49:11 PM   
FuzzyMcfae

Every time I saw the trailer for this Ron Howard would appear first and introduce it, and every time I cracked a smile. Arrested Development has left me incapable over hearing Howard's voice and not smirking.

Post #: 9
Amazing Film! - 5/9/2013 12:14:37 AM   
Alex M...

I watched this at a preview last night - Solid film making...well shot and well paced...a story like this did not need fancy bells and whistles, just a Director who can deliver a great film...easily amongst one of Ron Howards best

Post #: 10
RE: Rush - 14/9/2013 12:36:13 AM   
R W

When it comes to Ron Howard delving into, whether it’s a historical piece such as the outer space-centric Apollo 13 or high-concept blockbusters like the firemen-filled Backdraft, you know he is primarily a mainstream director, someone who wants an audience whether his works are good or bad. Having previously worked with screenwriter Peter Morgan on the filmic adaptation of Morgan’s play Frost/Nixon, the two reunite but instead of politics but of the sport that is Formula One.

Having raced together in Formula 3 as youngsters, playboy Brit James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and analytical Austrian Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) square up against each other in the 1976 Formula One World Championship. The tenth race at the Nürburgring in Germany proves critical.

Having no interest in any sport though have watched many sports movies, my true introduction to the world of Formula One happened when seeing Asif Kapadia’s extraordinary documentary Senna which depicted the life and death of Brazilian motor-racing champion Ayrton Senna. The great thing about Senna was that it was all archive footage with the voices of the interviewees, so we never cut away from the action. In the case of Rush, it is a filmed dramatization exploring the factual rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

Given the strong performances from its two leads from Chris Hemsworth’s sexy charisma to Daniel Brühl’s no-fun serious tone, the story of this two-man war on wheels is a rather formulaic one as many of the quiet sequences such as the involvement of the two leads’ underwritten love interests (Olivia Wilde’s Suzy Miller and Alexandra Maria Lara as Marlene Knaus) are rather melodramatic. However, the cast which is primarily a British fest make this a compelling watch, with or without the racing.

On the other hand, Formula One racing is a thrilling but dangerous sport which is captured brilliantly by Ron Howard’s masterful direction. Whether you know the factual events prior to this or not, the race sequences are edge-of-your-seat entertainment as if there were scenes from an action film. To support the races are Anthony Dod Mantle’s stunning handheld camerawork and Hans Zimmer’s thrilling music, which at times of overtaken by the loud noises of the Formula One vehicles.

Although Peter Morgan’s script can be formulaic, but Ron Howard and the great performances by Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl presents a truly entertaining factual action film about a sport that has its thrills and dangers.

Post #: 11
A Hunt for supremacy. - 14/9/2013 8:03:41 PM   
Jungle23

I bet the first day that Chris Hemsworth walked on set in his race driver's overalls, some funny guy probably said: 'looks like he was in a hurry to get to work' and I'm sure that after appearing mostly in family aimed superhero flicks Hemsworth really was in a rush to do a real drama. Not that there's anything wrong with Thor, but I'm sure it would be nice for him to upgrade from "God of Thunder" to the "God of Thunderous Applause at the Oscars".

Hemsworth and Brühl do equally well in their two main parts to point where you could argue that no one person is in the lead, both actors with their equally moving story and personal triumph. The films winning formula won me over in a, racing, exciting and dramatic film, possibly on track to a few award nominations, (even the Grand Prix)!

Post #: 12
On this week's podcast... - 15/9/2013 12:47:19 PM   
daraghfleming

chris-spoilerson-hewitt reviews rush. mute button at the ready.

Post #: 13
On this week's podcast... - 15/9/2013 1:52:37 PM   
daraghfleming

chris-spoilerson-hewitt reviews rush. mute button at the ready.

Post #: 14
What a Rush! - 18/9/2013 1:03:32 PM   
trueborndjross

Great film - really enjoyed it. Empire sum it up well with 'Impeccably crafted, smartly scripted and built around two superb leading performances'. Add to that some great racing scenes and you've got a really enjoyable movie here.

Post #: 15
(500) Days of Thunder - 18/9/2013 2:57:54 PM   
Mark David

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS
Memoirs are never easy to execute on film. Not least of all because that whole ‘based on a true story’ hook will always present the most seasoned screenwriters with that one ever-prevailing stigma: real life events, no matter how high-impact, never dance to the narrative tune required of cinema. And, sure, enough this very fast and, climatically, very wet ride at 170mph-plus remains almost entirely dry of story drive.
This is the 1970’s gorgeously shot on digital, a’la David Fincher’s Zodiac before it, where motor car racers James Hunt and Niki Lauda bicker off-road like a couple of 16-year-olds, pre-pissing contest.
Hunt drives a MacLaren; Lauda drives a Ferrari – that much is made clear. What is never made properly clear, however, is what exactly drives them underneath. Not as sportsmen, but as men.
The only stakes – high as they are – is how easily either men could die in any given race, come rain, hale or sunshine. We never get a sense of where each is heading in life personally, much less where these two motor heads came from as boys aspiring to very fast toys. Take note: Hunt is fast; Lauda is faster. Together, they are The Fast and the Serious.
All we really know of Lauda’s inner drive, early on, is more an anti-drive – away from following in the business footsteps of his upper class father, as they scold eachother through subtitles in what is perhaps the most on-the-nose scene in the entire movie. It shows us nothing as to what supposedly turns Lauda on about life and death at 170mph.
While Hunt is every muscle inch the blonde locks, blue-eyed cut-out Abercrombie model banging hot chicks aplenty on little more than a single passing glance, he is by far the only character who can teach us a thing or two about how to live life inside every passing moment; from his effortless seduction of a pretty young nurse who tends to his gaping stomach wound (after he’s crowb

Post #: 16
Rush to watch it - 23/9/2013 10:39:30 AM   
ravishk

An absolutely riveting movie! Excellent analysis!

Post #: 17
Good solid biopic - 23/9/2013 12:14:30 PM   
kenrick

Enjoyed this - the bloke who played Lauda was exceptional. Chris Hemsworth was fine though I remember James Hunt being a bit scrawny whereas Hemsworth was pretty muscular. The racing scene were great - the ominous feel pre-race in Japan was really effective.

My only reservation was some of the dialogue was a bit exposition heavy and, quite a big one this, did it really happen like this? From what I've read since, Hunt and Lauda were good friends but rivals on the track and I also read they shared a flat at one stage. Having said that Lauda cooperated on the film so supposedly he wasn't annoyed by it?

Post #: 18
Not so much of a Rush as a canter - 27/9/2013 11:40:07 AM   
C K Dexter Haven

Rush is an OK film with a very basic storyline (two men go at it in cars) and the thinly plotted interwoven standard TV movie fare of their 'private lives'.

Chris Hemsworth's Hunt is the showier role, and quite frankly Thor himself couldn't make Hunt likeable or engaging -though Kiwi Chris does a mighty fine throw at the Home Counties accent and does his best with a caricature hump 'em, dump 'em, Hollywood version of a bad boy Brit.

Daniel Brühl has the more 'actors' role as Niki Lauda; but he's so poorly written that you wonder why a dullard like this is worthy of screen time.

It's moderately entertaining, but don't Rush to see it.

Post #: 19
RE: Not so much of a Rush as a canter - 2/10/2013 2:37:44 PM   
C K Dexter Haven

Thanks mate.
Nothing taken even if you were having a pop.
Post #: 20
- 3/10/2013 9:47:51 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Easily one of the best films I have seen this year. Beautifully shot and Daniel Brühl gives an outstanding performance. This is a film I would love to see converted for the IMAX screen and the racing scenes have some of the best action I have seen in a long while.

Post #: 21
Very well delivered - 8/10/2013 11:00:49 PM   
bretty

I am no F1 fan and was about 15 at the tome of the events depicted in Rush and have no strong memory of them. Yet I enjoyed this. It captured the era very well and both drivers were very well cast indeed, throw in strong direction and cinema photography it all blends together rather well.

Post #: 22
RE: Very well delivered - 10/10/2013 1:30:43 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Decent effort,dont think you need to be a F1 fan really.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 23
An unexpected gem. - 10/10/2013 3:00:42 PM   
Gem_1995

Well, what can I say, this movie left me utterly speechless. After having been intrigued by the trailer, but not being a Formula One fan; I worried my enjoyment of the film would be affected… I could not have been more wrong. Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl were beyond brilliant with their performances as James Hunt and Niki Lauda. Despite the film being over two hours long, I was captivated every single second.

The film begins with a glimpse into the 1976 Formula One world championship; as the camera cuts back and forth from Hunt to Lauda, both of them refusing to change their tyres, despite the wet conditions; driven to this decision by their desire to be on a level playing field. Just as the cars begin to roar, the scene is swiped from the screen and we see how it all started.
We are taken through the journey of the two individuals; we see the playboy lifestyle of James in comparison with the disciplined approach of his Austrian opponent. The moments off the track are just as thrilling, as those on and I admire how Ron Howard chose to show the races with little snippets of the cars clipping corners and close ups of the drivers frantically manoeuvring their inferno death-traps.

Of course one of the most dramatic points of the film is the intense scene of Lauda’s crash. I was squirming in my seat when they show the brutality of his recovery, all the while he was watching Hunt take his points on the track. A lovely moment occurs when Hunt and Lauda reunite for the first time after the incident, and Hunt professes his guilt for letting that fatal race go ahead. Lauda replies, that watching him in the hospital, he was equally responsible for getting him back on the track. A beautiful moment, one of many that occurs in this enthralling film.

Another thing that makes this movie so exhilarating is that every performance given is a strong one. Both Hemsworth and Bruhl are obvious stand-out performances; they provoked such a number emotions from m

Post #: 24
RE: An unexpected gem. - 31/12/2013 11:56:43 AM   
chang

Howard and Morgan call the movie Rush, and that's pretty much what it delivers, to no greater purpose than one of those five-hour energy shots you can buy at a deli counter, but certainly with no less of a kick.

(in reply to Gem_1995)
Post #: 25
WORTH YOUR TIME... - 6/3/2014 6:00:34 PM   
ROTGUT

Ron Howard is (perhaps) an under rated film director compared to the likes of Spielberg, Cameron, Jackson et all – but this film is pretty decent in spite of it’s overly familiar TV movie sheen. The racing scenes are excitingly staged and the fashions, 1970’s setting and soundtrack (Slade!!!) are all spot on. Add on an extra star for Daniel Bruhl’s brilliant portrayal of Nikki Lauda which (unfathomably) was completely overlooked by those sniffy Oscar-bods. Chris Hemsworth adds another acting string to his bow and proves once again that there’s more to him than simple hammer wielding super-heroics. The script is perfunctory, but it all rattles along at such a pace you won’t mind and it does contain a recognisable heart and soul which emphasises the gung ho nature of a sport where (invariably) death will always be your bedfellow. I missed this one at the cinema but caught up with it on DVD. See it. RUSH will leave you pleasantly surprised. A solid THREE/FOUR STARS.

Post #: 26
RE: Rush - 21/6/2014 11:41:28 AM   
rich

The characters are pretty cartoon-ish at times, but this is a fun rivalry movie with some gripping race sequences, particularly for those that don't know anything about the sport and how the central characters ended up in real life. The over saturated digital look detracts from the period setting but the big hair and loud shirts compensate for it. The dumbed down race commentary is very annoying at times, but it's a likeable thrill ride.

< Message edited by rich -- 21/6/2014 11:47:55 AM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rush Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI