Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Buying the same film in more than one format - crazy or not?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Buying the same film in more than one format - crazy or not? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Buying the same film in more than one format - crazy or... - 29/8/2013 4:11:41 PM   
Bloke from Oz

Over the years I've bought Jurassic Park in 5 different formats - videocassette, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray. I wonder, is this an obsession (or fetish) I have??

I am aware that people double-dip - and sometimes triple-dip - but is this just throwing good money away?

I was very little when the Star Wars craze happened, so I don't know how people have spent their cash on collecting Star Wars films; however, it wouldn't surprise me if some had triple-dipped and own the films in 2 or 3 formats.

Honestly, is there a real need to constantly upgrade formats of films you love and cherish? Is there a way to shake this habit?

Thoughts?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg
Post #: 1
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 29/8/2013 6:08:50 PM   
Whistler

I don't think there's anything wrong with updating to the current format, particularly when the older ones actually become obsolete (where can you find a VHS player these days?). I think if you really care about it it doesn't matter about the money. Who doesn't want to see their favourite movies in the best possible quality? Even DVDs look a bit rubbish now.

There's a certain allure about finding old copies of films, but I find they're better suited to special occasions; perhaps an old original print at the cinema or finding an ancient VHS in a drawer somewhere, complete with all the scratches and flickers that I grew accustomed to growing up. But the majority of the time I want to be watching in Blu-ray wherever possible, and in the near future, 4K.

Obviously the current streaming market doesn't allow for full HD all the time, but the convenience makes up for it. Netflix and other streaming services are great for easy access to a whole bunch of titles, but these days I only buy films I really love on Blu-ray, unlike the times when I would just stock my shelves with DVD after DVD, regardless of how I really felt about the film. The only films I've updated from (occasionally VHS) to DVD to Blu-ray are those that I hold truly dear; the likes of Indy, BTTF, LOTR, and assorted favourites like The Evil Dead, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction etc.; or unless there's a really good deal on. For example, I recently picked up Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang on Blu even though I had it on DVD because it was cheap as chips.

In fewer words, yes. If you want to keep updating, keep updating.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 2
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 29/8/2013 6:14:01 PM   
rich

Pretty sure there is a thread about what collections of the same film people have got

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 3
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 29/8/2013 7:29:13 PM   
Scruffybobby

I've upgraded from VHS to DVD to Blu many a time. It's just something you do isn't it? Having said that I've only bought Jurassic Park once - when the Bluray box set came out a while back. I did have it on VHS (taped off Sky) and DVD but that was a birthday present. I'm not sure if I'm ready to upgrade further. 4K might be imminent but I'm not in any hurry for that. I don't have a big enough room for a TV bif enough to do it justice for a start.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 29/8/2013 7:30:07 PM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 4
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 29/8/2013 8:52:30 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

I've upgraded from VHS to DVD to Blu many a time. It's just something you do isn't it? Having said that I've only bought Jurassic Park once - when the Bluray box set came out a while back. I did have it on VHS (taped off Sky) and DVD but that was a birthday present. I'm not sure if I'm ready to upgrade further. 4K might be imminent but I'm not in any hurry for that. I don't have a big enough room for a TV bif enough to do it justice for a start.

I've also done the VHS - DVD - Blu thing.  Example, I had THE FURY (yes, I know, not a classic, but a childhood fave of mine) on VHS, got hold of a DVD, but the quality was so poor that I can't wait for the Arrow Blu coming out in October.

I must also say that if the extras are worthy of it, I'd be happy to double or triple dip again... goota say, LIFEFORCE looks tempting...

Say what now?

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 5
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 29/8/2013 10:39:37 PM   
sandy666

I moved most of the VHS I had to DVD, mainly for storage reasons. I have resisted moving DVD to Blu-ray. I've upgraded "classics" - Bladerunner, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, but to be honest the upscaling by Blu-Ray players works well enough and I tend to rent most of my movies on Blu-ray or on-line these days.

The cost is part of it, and I don't have the urge to own many more movies these days anyway. Also Blu-Rays take up the same amount of shelf space as DVDs, so there's no great advantage in upgrading - I don't have the budget or space for surround sound speakers so I don't get the full benefit from Blu-ray anyway.

I rent more, so I buy much less. Part of it is to do with the fact that online rental services actually offer a broad range of movies when ten years ago, purchasing was the only realistic option. I tend to buy the discs I want to own on Blu-ray these days, but I'm buying far fewer, and I'm unlikely to upgrade my whole collection - perhaps 10& max.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 30/8/2013 1:48:58 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I've been debating with myself whether to upgrade to blu-ray for 2001. My current copy of 2001 is in a snazzy Kubrick boxset but having it on blu-ray sounds amaze as well.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 7
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 30/8/2013 1:59:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

(where can you find a VHS player these days?).

Ebay and Charity shops. Bought one recently for the princely sum of 3.99!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 8
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 30/8/2013 8:13:09 AM   
jonson

Jaws.
Probably 8 copies on DVD (25th Anniversary, 30th Anniversary, standard, French, Spanish, Japanese plus a few with different covers) 3 copies on VHS, Betamax, Laserdisc and the remastered bluray (which I bought before I had a bluray player)
This is only down to my Jaws obsession though.
I'd replace DVD's with blurays if there were additional benefits, perhaps old films I love that have been tinkered with, but other than that, 1 copy on 1 format is normally enough.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 9
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 30/8/2013 9:27:53 AM   
FoximusPrime

While I've upgraded from VHS to DVD for things, I haven't gone for the triple to Blu Ray yet (the Indiana Jones boxset has been teasing me for months though). I have upgraded some DVDs to BD but, as BD players upscale DVDs to an extent anyway, this only happens when a) I really love the film or show and b) there's something worthwhile in the BD package to warrant it.

For instance, I feel a straight conversion to BD of a pre-HD film isn't worth my time or money (e.g. how I always assumed the previous Predator BD was) but if it's been remastered (like Roger Rabbit), or has a wealth of new special features, I'll go for it.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 10
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 30/8/2013 12:16:46 PM   
AxlReznor

I refuse to upgrade my DVD's to Blu Ray. The difference isn't really that noticeable, and Blu Ray players play DVD's anyway, so what's the point?
I'm pretty sure that all my old video's have been upgraded to at least DVD, though.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 11
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 31/8/2013 2:58:45 PM   
Moorish

I regret my excessive purchasing now that I'm an adult. Frankly, having a couple of extra grand in my bank account is more appealing than having Goodfellas on two different DVDs for the sake of some cheap special extras, etc.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 12
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 1/9/2013 12:02:45 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'll double dip with packaging! Let alone for a new format. I have many movies that I've owned on vhs, dvd and now blu ray. Nowt wrong with that, if its a movie you love.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 13
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 1/9/2013 12:04:40 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I refuse to upgrade my DVD's to Blu Ray. The difference isn't really that noticeable, and Blu Ray players play DVD's anyway, so what's the point?
I'm pretty sure that all my old video's have been upgraded to at least DVD, though.

not even if its a newly remastered transfer? What if the dvd came from an old and poor transfer but the blu ray is from a freshly minted one. Jaws and Lawrence of Arabia come to mind but there are so many more examples.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 14
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 8:11:38 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Jaws and Lawrence of Arabia come to mind but there are so many more examples.

Just to harp on about Jaws, but the bluray transfer is utterly incredible. For a film that is coming up to 40 years old, I was blown away. Like watching the film for the first time, so one example of a film that is worth upgrading to.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 15
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 9:00:32 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

Jaws and Lawrence of Arabia come to mind but there are so many more examples.

Just to harp on about Jaws, but the bluray transfer is utterly incredible. For a film that is coming up to 40 years old, I was blown away. Like watching the film for the first time, so one example of a film that is worth upgrading to.

Jaws does look incredible on Blu Ray it's a film that I have had on VHS, DVD (both 25th, 30th Anniversary) and now Blu Ray. I have owned Jurassic Park, Batman and Batman Returns,Lethal Weapon 1-4, Star Trek movies 1-9 (only owned Star Trek Nemesis on DVD) but have it on Blu Ray now), Toy Story 1-2, Fantasisa, Ghostbusters (Still waiting for Ghostbusters II) plus lots more on VHS, DVD and now on BluRay.Just waiting for Jurassic Park to come out on 3D and I will pick that up as well.

If it's a film you love you want to see it in the best quality.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 2/9/2013 9:01:56 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 16
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 10:21:02 AM   
spark1

am lucky I waited until 'apocalypse now', 'jurassic park', 'fantasia' and 'lethal weapon' came out on blu before I bought them.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 2/9/2013 10:23:28 AM >

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 17
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 10:28:29 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

not even if its a newly remastered transfer? What if the dvd came from an old and poor transfer but the blu ray is from a freshly minted one. Jaws and Lawrence of Arabia come to mind but there are so many more examples.

Thankfully, I didn't already have Lawrence Of Arabia before it was released on Blu Ray, but if I already did I really don't see the point in buying it again. Maybe if I had an unlimited well of money that I could draw from that enabled me to rebuy my collection every time a new format was released, but I don't... I'm lucky I'm able to afford a few films a year as it is.

Basically, I think if a film is good, it's going to be good no matter what it looks like.

Post #: 18
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 12:30:47 PM   
DancingClown

That really does interest me considering how cheap blu-rays are these days. Having said that I wouldn't just double/triple dip on any old shite. The only DVDs I've upgraded are the ones I really love.

For me the one that springs to mind is probably The Omen. I went from TV Copy to VHS to Widescreen VHS to Standard DVD (I also got it when I got the Omen boxset, but I only really got that for the extras) and now of course to Blu-ray. And the blu-ray was actually the cheapest out of all those formats, interestingly. Same with Poltergeist. And would I buy a new "Anniversary" edition? Sure. But I'd read up on them first and make sure the transfers were worth shelling out for again. And I only do it for my absolute favourite films - films that I've seen so many times I would instantly be able to appreciate the improvement of picture quality. And for films like Lawrence of Arabia, it's a no-brainer, the improvement in picture quality is palpable, and for a film with such visual splendour. Sure, the quality of the other elements of the film aren't necessarily enhanced but with a film that has such gorgeous visuals (visuals that are as essential to the film as anything else) why would you not want the best version possible? Take the mirage scene with Omar Sharrif's famous entrance - the power and wonder of that scene can only be enhanced by an excellent re-master. Having said that the difference is only really more noticeable - and therefore more impressive - if you're more used to the previous version.

I'll be buying my fourth version of Halloween this October with the 35th Anniversary Steelbook, but only because it's an absolute favourite, and because the new transfer has been overseen by the cinematographer himself, although I'll read the reviews before I completely commit. But again I would only do that for my stone-cold favourites.

But I would certainly draw the line at retro-fitted 3D, though. There are limits.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 19
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 12:57:18 PM   
AxlReznor

Let's say on average a Blu Ray is around 10-12 nowadays... now if I took only my top 100 DVD's and upgraded them all to Blu Ray, that will cost an entire month's worth of my salary. And now I've started getting advertisements for Blu Rays that are "Optimised for 4K" (why the keep on releasing new formats before Blu Ray has even overtaken DVD to become the bestselling format is beyond me), which would mean if Blu Rays start to become obsolete, I'd have to buy those 100 movies again, as well as upgrade any of my favourite films I already have on Blu Ray, and do this every single time a newer version of the same thing comes out. Basically, everyone who religiously upgrades their favourite films are being conned by the film industry trying to get as much of your cash as possible (same as when vinyl made way for CD's).
One month's salary may not sound like much until you factor in the fact that two thirds of that is used for other things that I could end up in court if I don't pay.

Having said all that, I did get The Dark Knight Trilogy for Christmas last year despite already having Batman Begins and The Dark Knight on DVD. And if there's ever a format that means that I'm not able to watch my DVD's/Blu Rays any more, I won't be happy about it, but I'd have to.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 20
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 1:28:03 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

For instance, I feel a straight conversion to BD of a pre-HD film isn't worth my time or money (e.g. how I always assumed the previous Predator BD was) but if it's been remastered (like Roger Rabbit), or has a wealth of new special features, I'll go for it.

There is not really such a thing as a pre-HD film. Film is an inherently HD medium, with even standard 35mm negatives estimated at holding the equivalent to about 4K resolution. 16mm is more than good enough to give a good 2K (which is more or less the same as 1080p) image. Even a good 8mm print holds more detail than DVD is capable of reproducing.

Perversely it is films from the early 2000s on which are going to appear resolution starved as we move forwards.

You mention Predator, but it's the remastered disc which is the ugly one. The original, while far from state of the art, is actually better.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

That really does interest me considering how cheap blu-rays are these days. Having said that I wouldn't just double/triple dip on any old shite. The only DVDs I've upgraded are the ones I really love.

For me the one that springs to mind is probably The Omen. I went from TV Copy to VHS to Widescreen VHS to Standard DVD (I also got it when I got the Omen boxset, but I only really got that for the extras) and now of course to Blu-ray. And the blu-ray was actually the cheapest out of all those formats, interestingly. Same with Poltergeist. And would I buy a new "Anniversary" edition? Sure. But I'd read up on them first and make sure the transfers were worth shelling out for again. And I only do it for my absolute favourite films - films that I've seen so many times I would instantly be able to appreciate the improvement of picture quality. And for films like Lawrence of Arabia, it's a no-brainer, the improvement in picture quality is palpable, and for a film with such visual splendour. Sure, the quality of the other elements of the film aren't necessarily enhanced but with a film that has such gorgeous visuals (visuals that are as essential to the film as anything else) why would you not want the best version possible? Take the mirage scene with Omar Sharrif's famous entrance - the power and wonder of that scene can only be enhanced by an excellent re-master. Having said that the difference is only really more noticeable - and therefore more impressive - if you're more used to the previous version.

I'll be buying my fourth version of Halloween this October with the 35th Anniversary Steelbook, but only because it's an absolute favourite, and because the new transfer has been overseen by the cinematographer himself, although I'll read the reviews before I completely commit. But again I would only do that for my stone-cold favourites.

But I would certainly draw the line at retro-fitted 3D, though. There are limits.

Lawrence of Arabia was my first Blu-ray double-dip. I upgraded the standard 2 disc for the deluxe set: primarily so I could see the full length balcony scene. It was worth it for that alone but it also came with the soundtrack, a nice book and a 70mm film frame. A couple of others I have got more than one copy of due to a film I already had being included in a box-set, but Lawrence of Arabia was the first, and thus far only, disc I made the conscious decision to upgrade.

As to the general topic at hand: if it is crazy I'm probably certifiable. I've got (or had) VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray copies of a number of films. Toy Story, Blade Runner, Jaws and The Star Wars films are the most notable. There are numerous films that I have upgraded from DVD to Blu-ray. I bought 3 copies of Apocalypse Now on DVD and have since upgraded to the Blu Ray set.

Whether I'll upgrade them again when 4K Blu-ray (or whatever they eventually decide to call the consumer version) is undecided. It'll depend on whether they upgrade the colour space as I'm still unconvinced of the need for greater then HD resolution for home viewing outside of dedicated projection set ups; even then I'm not sure it will ever be a more than marginal improvement.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 21
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 2/9/2013 5:06:55 PM   
jackcarter

it was gutting to realise BR was the new must have format after had replaced alot of VHS with DVD from roughly 2000-2010. if i win the lottery i will upgrade my entire DVD collection into BR

otherwise BR will be reserved for only the special stuff - so far for me Prometheus, Trek2009, Superman Collection and soon to be STID (when i figure out which is the best place to buy it) and MOS. (and eventually will do all the Star Wars, Indys, Aliens, Predators, Terminators, Blade Runner etc when they come down in price)

still continue to get the 0.01 DVDs for replacing stuff originally bought on vhs though (had to give all my vhs collection to the charity shops)

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 22
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 3/9/2013 3:06:12 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

There is not really such a thing as a pre-HD film. Film is an inherently HD medium, with even standard 35mm negatives estimated at holding the equivalent to about 4K resolution. 16mm is more than good enough to give a good 2K (which is more or less the same as 1080p) image. Even a good 8mm print holds more detail than DVD is capable of reproducing.

Perversely it is films from the early 2000s on which are going to appear resolution starved as we move forwards.

You mention Predator, but it's the remastered disc which is the ugly one. The original, while far from state of the art, is actually better.

Really? Interesting...

Luckily I haven't bought either Blu Ray of Predator - I just used it as an example. A poor one, but an example nonetheless!

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 23
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 3/9/2013 10:14:12 PM   
jimi junior

what frustrates me is the fact that amongst my large DVD collection, I have a lot of discs which are now becoming obsolete which I haven't even watched yet. This is a result of buying DVDs more frequently than I am able to watch them between 2005-2012.

In the future I will buy far far less. If i was to upgrade my entire collection, or even just a portion of it, to BluRay, I'm sure there would be a better format available before I even got around to watching half of them which is just daft and a waste of money.

MAYBE i'll buy a handful of films on Bluray, but i'm thinking just my fave 10-15 movies.

To be honest rental has to be the way forward. How many times would I have to watch a purchased film in order to get my money's worth before it's format becomes obsolete?

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 24
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 3/9/2013 10:17:24 PM   
jimi junior

If we assume older 35mm films are roughly equivalent to 4k, then perhaps I would be tempted to buy some older titles on a future 4k release, since these would be about the best quality these films could ever be so would not become obsolete.

(in reply to jimi junior)
Post #: 25
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 4/9/2013 2:33:22 PM   
spark1

while building up my blu collection i realised that i paid way over the odds for dvds over the years.
i tend to get more bargains on blu unless it is a new release.

next up 'man of steel'.

(in reply to jimi junior)
Post #: 26
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 5/9/2013 1:33:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I have a friend at work who thought it was pointless buying older films on blu ray as "you can't appreciate the HD with older films" LOL . He thought that it's pointless buying movies without explosions and special effects on blu ray as that's all it's good for. I started talking about the leap in detail in people's faces etc.  and he responded with "yeah but i'm not looking at the detail in people's faces when i'm watching a film" Um ok.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 27
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 5/9/2013 3:05:16 PM   
spark1

was look out forward to finally getting 'mad max' triogy on blu but discovered they were practically vanilla.

will not touch it as there is bound to be be a new set with extras when 'fury rd' appears.

and there is now a nolan 'batman' trilogy UE set out soon near a year after that last box set.

Post #: 28
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 5/9/2013 3:09:58 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

was look out forward to finally getting 'mad max' triogy on blu but discovered they were practically vanilla.

will not touch it as there is bound to be be a new set with extras when 'fury rd' appears.

and there is now a nolan 'batman' trilogy UE set out soon near a year after that last box set.

That annoyed me, because it looks like all there is extra is a bonus disc with a documentary about making the trilogy that should have been on the original release.

On the other hand, I've already got far better looking models of the Tumbler, Batpod and Bat than the ones that come with that set come with... so I'm not really missing out on all that much.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 29
RE: Buying the same film in more than one format - craz... - 8/9/2013 11:45:24 AM   
spark1

good news for anyone who skipped 'little shop of horrors' on v h s and dvd as they lacked the alternative ending.

that director's cut is out on blu monday.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Buying the same film in more than one format - crazy or not? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI