Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Product placement in movies - ever bought anything?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 26/8/2013 3:17:58 PM   
Filmfan 2

I suppose this is a broad question that could take in the entirety of advertising, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever bought anything on the strength of product placement in a movie? Has having your favourite movie character using some gadget that is available to buy in the real world ever prompted you to do so? For example, did you see the first Matrix movie and love the Nokia phone that Neo used in this scene (click me) so much that you went out and bought one?

Just asking out of passing curiosity. Personally, I've never bought anything on the back of having seen it in a movie, but considering the amount of money that gets spent on product tie-ins, I'm sure there are people out there who do buy them (though in saying that, I do remember thinking that Nokia phone in the linked scene was cool).

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 1
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 26/8/2013 4:43:45 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

My brother bought the "Matrix phone" for that exact reason. He would boast about it to anyone he knew.

I don't think i've bought a particular gadget because of product placement but there is a moment in 21 when the main guys comes up the escalator in a new suit which I thought would look pretty good on me so I went out and bought a similar one. However, that was because I needed a suit, it wasn't an impulse buy (when are suits ever an impulse buy?) so seeing that scene just gave me some inspiration.

I think then, product placement wont encourage items being bought on a whim, but if a person wants something and a particular style of that something is in a film then it could encourage them to buy from that brand.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 2
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 26/8/2013 6:52:51 PM   
Whistler

Like the previous post, I don't recall ever buying any specific product because of a film, but I have wanted to imitate the styles of certain characters. After seeing Craig in TGWTDT I went and bought a bunch of thick cardigans

I also know I wanted to go out and buy that scorpion jacket after Drive, but I'm not so sure that's classed as product placement.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 3
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 26/8/2013 7:36:20 PM   
Scruffybobby

I did buy a bottle of Macallan whisky (although not the 50 year old I'm not made of money) after seeing Bond enjoying it in Skyfall. However I had been going through a phase of trying lots of different Malts and since the producers DIDN'TGET PAID for the appearance I'm not sure it counts

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 26/8/2013 9:41:58 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 4
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 26/8/2013 8:41:06 PM   
DancingClown

I Robot made me want to stockpile Vintage Converse...and then burn them in a huge bonfire.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 5
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 27/8/2013 7:37:48 PM   
will1000

Leather gloves and jacket from Drive.

White Russians from The Big Lebowski!

But nothing that is an actual branded product though. I usually sigh at the sight of blatant product placement. It's so clumsy and rather than grounding the film in a real world it takes me out of it. It's like the film almost pauses for an advert!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 6
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 28/8/2013 9:30:01 PM   
Mister Coe

Nope.  Not ever.  If some company wants to add to the budget of a film I want to see, then fine, but (for example) I ain't gonna buy an expensive laptop just because it showed up in a James Bond movie.

Likewise... I go to a lot of gigs and I see the Manchester MEN Arena is being renamed 'The Manchester Phones 4 U Arena'... I ain't gonna rush out and buy a phone from them because of that.

Sorry pricks, you just wasted a whole shitload of cash.

Say what now?

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 7
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 29/8/2013 5:28:56 PM   
jonson

I bought some yellow Onitsuka Tiger's after Kill Bill. I had them imported from the US before they were available here.
I wore them when I went to see KillBill V2, and someone in the queue offered to buy them.
I suddenly felt like a twat, however the blonde wig and Bruce Lee tracksuit probably didn't help.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 8
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 29/8/2013 7:46:10 PM   
Super Hans

I honestly can't think of any I've actually bought, but I went through a phase of really wanting one of these as a kid...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 9
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 30/8/2013 9:16:00 AM   
FoximusPrime

Never even been tempted by product placement. It's like a salesman giving it the hard sell - it only makes me less likely to buy the product.

Incidentally, when I watched The Muppets, I noticed an aerial shot of the streets at the end in which a huge billboard for Cars 2 (I think) sticks out like a sore thumb. It smacked of desperation on Disney's part. I may not have felt that way about a film series that wasn't roundly criticised however.

Not the same thing but I do want Bane's coat from The Dark Knight Rises.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 10
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 31/8/2013 6:37:17 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Like the previous post, I don't recall ever buying any specific product because of a film, but I have wanted to imitate the styles of certain characters. After seeing Craig in TGWTDT I went and bought a bunch of thick cardigans

I also know I wanted to go out and buy that scorpion jacket after Drive, but I'm not so sure that's classed as product placement.

Don't do it - there's a knob-end I've seen around Newcastle who wears one and he looks a right, erm, knob-end (I believe he's been spotted wearing the gloves too. Knob-end),
Ever since I first saw Ghostbusters as a kid I'd wanted to try a Twinkie. Imagine my disappointment when I eventually went to America as an adult and bought one only to find out it's basically a dry swiss roll. With no jam.
Fuck you, Spengler.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 31/8/2013 6:40:28 AM   
horribleives

Baby Ruths are nowt special either.
Fuck you, Chunk.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 12
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 31/8/2013 9:08:25 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Don't do it - there's a knob-end I've seen around Newcastle who wears one and he looks a right, erm, knob-end (I believe he's been spotted wearing the gloves too. Knob-end),
Ever since I first saw Ghostbusters as a kid I'd wanted to try a Twinkie. Imagine my disappointment when I eventually went to America as an adult and bought one only to find out it's basically a dry swiss roll. With no jam.
Fuck you, Spengler.

I'll take your word for it. I saw a guy recently strutting around in the Bane jacket (which is a cool-ass jacket) thinking he was a total boss, but he actually looked like a complete twat.

And I know the crushing disappointment of twinkies. Zombieland makes them look so good.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 13
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 31/8/2013 11:57:01 AM   
giggity

I never ever succumb to product placement, aside from one time. Ironically it's probably the worst piece of product placement in a film ever. Converse All-Stars in I, Robot.

Although it wasn't because it was in I, Robot that I bought it, it's because I thought they were really cool shoes (I was 15 at the time and I didn't buy the ones Will Smith had, just standard black ones) So does that still count?

Proud to say i've worn nothing but Chuck Taylor's (of varying colours) for 8 years now. They go with EVERYTHING!

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 14
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 31/8/2013 3:00:41 PM   
Moorish

Absolutely not, I'm not receptive to advertsments in general though.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 15
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 10/9/2013 1:44:21 PM   
putthatcookiedown

To my shame, I bought Barney Ross' Police watch from The Expendables as a 14 year old.

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 16
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 10/9/2013 4:36:08 PM   
Discodez

I started taking Cocaine after watching Scarface, Smoking weed after seeing Up in Smoke, Heroin after seeing Trainspotting, Crack after New Jack City and E's after Human Traffic! Is that the same thing?

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 17
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 11/9/2013 2:05:08 PM   
cazino

Obviously this thread is about consciously making the decisition to buys a product seen in a film or show.

But to everyone saying no they dont give into advertising, I really have to be sceptical. If it didnt work it wouldnt be such a massive business. For it to work does not mean you walk out of the cinema in a trance and buy whtever product you saw in the film. There are so many ways it can just slightly alter the way you feel about somehting or just make you more aware of it etc etc. Saying you are immune to advertising is ridiculous. No one is.

< Message edited by cazino -- 11/9/2013 2:06:05 PM >

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 18
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 12/9/2013 11:43:10 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

there is a moment in 21 when the main guys comes up the escalator in a new suit which I thought would look pretty good on me so I went out and bought a similar one

For a minute there I thought you'd gone out and bought an escalator.....

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 12/9/2013 11:46:02 AM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 19
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 12/9/2013 6:22:41 PM   
eastwood

I bought an old Lotus Esprit because of a certain film... and no, it wasn't Basic Instinct. Or Pretty Woman.

Given the car was about 25 years old when I got it, Lotus didn't really profit from that bit of advertising. But I am now a Lotus fan, and if I had the money I would probably buy a new one; a 36 year old advert (sort of) is likely still bringing in the money!

Scott

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 20
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 14/9/2013 3:27:16 PM   
TomSolo

i think i blame tarantino's cigarette fetishism for me smoking habit. particular scene that comes to mind is dennis hopper smoking a chesterfield (not a cigarette, a CHESTERFIELD) before he baits walken into killing him. i bought a packet of chesterfields afterwards and they were disgusting.

i also blame tarantino for my excessive but totally non-racist use of the N word

Kneel before Zod.

(in reply to eastwood)
Post #: 21
RE: Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? - 11/10/2013 2:53:43 PM   
CriticNumberOne

In a word,no.
I detest consumerism.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to TomSolo)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Product placement in movies - ever bought anything? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI