Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Please Empire, enough superhero covers!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Please Empire, enough superhero covers! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 26/8/2013 5:13:59 AM   
Ti

I mean I get Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc, deserve covers ... but it seems 8 out of 12 issues have superhero covers! I am getting superhero fatigue, and I don't think I'm alone.

It's true, I'm a rageoholic! I just can't get enough RAGEOHOL!

My books

My Blu-ray collection
Post #: 1
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 27/8/2013 5:33:16 PM   
luccewada

12 covers (Oct 2012- Oct 2013):

Skyfall- NOT
Arnie- NOT
Hobbit- NOT
Django- NOT
Star Trek- NOT
Man of Steel- SUPERHERO
Iron Man- SUPERHERO
Star Trek- NOT
Man of Steel- SUPERHERO
Wolverine- SUPERHERO
Hobbit- NOT
Spidey- SUPERHERO
Thor- SUPERHERO

So that's 6 out of 12. Get your facts right! (i'm kidding, of course)

"Why is there a crop duster dusting where there ain't no crops?"
Read my film reviews at http://buzzhub.tk or follow me @mr_lucien

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 2
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/8/2013 11:40:20 AM   
McAvennie

Same here, came to post the exact same thing. Every month seems to be COMIC BOOK PREVIEW!

Plenty of other types of film out there, give us a break.

It's just marketing, the ad men want sales and comic book movies shift units.

For a supposed BRITISH film magazine though it would have been nice to see a World's End or Alpha Papa cover.

No balls. Corporate yes men.

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 3
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/8/2013 1:22:05 PM   
bereski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ti

I mean I get Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc, deserve covers ... but it seems 8 out of 12 issues have superhero covers! I am getting superhero fatigue, and I don't think I'm alone.

You're right.

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 4
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 31/8/2013 10:47:34 AM   
bereski

I'd love to see something more niche and artistic on your covers EMPIRE, Gravity or The Zero Theorem instead of another latex-wearing superhero. Sometimes I've an impression, it's being edited by 10 year old kid who just want to see shit blows up and magic powers save the world. Your covers are good in terms of design, but come on, give us something more!

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 5
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 17/9/2013 1:46:45 PM   
Hoffman390

I keep thinking this as well. I do love superhero movies, absolutely love them, but I'm tired of them being on the cover. Can't we get something different? I loved it when Django had a cover last year. And looking at older covers it seems actors don't get covers anymore. Last one I can think of is Megan Fox back in May 2009.

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 6
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 21/9/2013 9:41:58 PM   
bos4229

I so agree with this thread. Enough! It has been Superheroes or The Hobbit since FEBRUARY. And also, NO WOMAN on the cover since Cate Blanchett as Galadriel in December 2012? This is not acceptable.

Even if tne people at Empire essentially see it as a magazine for cinematic nerds, they have to realise that a stunningly pretty actress du jour will also shift product.

Even I good pic of Helen Mirren once in a while is preferable to what we have had for almost a year now.

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 7
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 22/9/2013 7:14:51 PM   
dseys

Be happy, next issue will probably be Catching Fire so you'll finally get a woman on the cover.

(in reply to bos4229)
Post #: 8
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 29/11/2013 10:26:44 PM   
Cool Breeze

Well this months cover is... Transformers.

Yeah thats a real step up from superheroes Empire.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 9
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 2/12/2013 10:17:20 AM   
Helen OHara

We say this endlessly, but here goes one more time: the cover has one job, and that's to sell the magazine. At the moment, the big films (most of which feature superheroes or whatever) are the ones that do that. We've covered Gravity, and Alpha Papa, and The World's End, and Zero Theorem inside, which is what all the rest of the pages are for.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 10
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 2/12/2013 10:19:50 AM  1 votes
MonsterCat

Fuck the covers. Giving publicity to Michael Bay's sexist garbage is the real sticking point.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 11
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 2/12/2013 3:43:08 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

We say this endlessly, but here goes one more time: the cover has one job, and that's to sell the magazine. At the moment, the big films (most of which feature superheroes or whatever) are the ones that do that. We've covered Gravity, and Alpha Papa, and The World's End, and Zero Theorem inside, which is what all the rest of the pages are for.

Having Gravity on the cover wouldnt sell the magazine? One of the best reviewed films of the year and a massive box office hit to boot.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 12
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 2/12/2013 3:55:53 PM   
jackcarter

no one knew Gravity would be that big

Post #: 13
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 3/12/2013 1:15:56 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

The buzz on the film was very good and it had two big stars in the shape of Clooney and Bullock.Having it on the cover wouldnt have hurt.

But i guess having a cover for a Transformers movie that isnt coming out for the better part of another year is more important.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 14
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 3/12/2013 2:31:34 PM   
horribleives

Who gives a shit what's on the cover? Call me old fashioned but I'm more interested in what's in the magazine. And there's plenty in it this month. Transformers takes up 4 pages or something - it's quite easy to skip. And they've been putting blockbusters on the cover, months in advance, for years.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 15
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 27/12/2013 6:12:44 PM   
kevorino

I guess Empire have to go with what sells and superheroes seem to be ever-popular.

This months (Jan 2014) issue, despite having the Transformers on the cover has lots of coverage of proper grown-up films though, more than for a long time I think.

< Message edited by kevorino -- 27/12/2013 6:13:10 PM >

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 16
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 10/1/2014 7:18:36 PM   
landedurbin

I think in this 25th year we should go back to the sort of covers you had in the good old days, Like issue 2 ( oh damn that had batman on it). Never mind.

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 17
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 15/1/2014 1:10:30 PM   
McAvennie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

The buzz on the film was very good and it had two big stars in the shape of Clooney and Bullock.Having it on the cover wouldnt have hurt.

But i guess having a cover for a Transformers movie that isnt coming out for the better part of another year is more important.

Nail on head. It'd be interesting to look at the DVD review compared to the film review for some of these films. It is the same film we have had hyped and told it is going to be great but somehow after its release the big studio film we were all spoonfed suddenly is rubbish.

Although credibility kind of died for me with the Speed Racer BR DVD review that basically said the film was terrible but it looked really good so we should buy the Blu Ray anyway...

Post #: 18
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 21/1/2014 11:17:54 AM   
Helen OHara

It's worth saying, without naming any films in particular, that some films don't have cover art on offer in advance of release. Practical considerations like that can be of interest too.

As for DVD reviews, sometimes we reassess things. Star ratings can go up as well as down. In the case of Speed Racer, I am somewhat in the pro camp. That was a bizarre film that confused me a lot, but it is visually worth seeing. I'm kinda with Film Critic Hulk on that. But it's a five star one star film, so it's hard to rate.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

(in reply to McAvennie)
Post #: 19
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 21/1/2014 3:01:49 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

It's worth saying, without naming any films in particular, that some films don't have cover art on offer in advance of release. Practical considerations like that can be of interest too.

As for DVD reviews, sometimes we reassess things. Star ratings can go up as well as down. In the case of Speed Racer, I am somewhat in the pro camp. That was a bizarre film that confused me a lot, but it is visually worth seeing. I'm kinda with Film Critic Hulk on that. But it's a five star one star film, so it's hard to rate.

6 Stars?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 20
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 22/1/2014 11:40:10 AM   
Helen OHara

That maths definitely doesn't work. But it's not a three star film either. It's simultaneously brilliant and awful, like Nicolas Cage. (thanks to Community s.5 for that analogy)

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 21
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 22/1/2014 12:42:04 PM   
shool

Well you've just made me want to watch it. So that's some sort of mission accomplished.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 22
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 27/1/2014 9:08:14 AM   
Rgirvan44

With today's announcement I would like to provide a very big LOL to this thread.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 23
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/1/2014 12:38:57 PM   
rich

Thought the exact same thing - it did amuse me to think about this thread, all the meltdowns that must have happened seeing so many covers

< Message edited by rich -- 28/1/2014 12:40:00 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/1/2014 2:49:51 PM   
jackcarter

If Empire had been around 60-70 years ago

"Please Empire, enough western covers" (sent by telegram)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 25
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/1/2014 4:26:20 PM   
MonsterCat

I don't know why you people have these weird hang-ups about the covers. You're not going to spend an hour reading the cover, are you?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 28/1/2014 6:19:52 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 26
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/1/2014 5:04:56 PM   
jackcarter

Pre Xmen in 00 there was just batman1-4 covers (& barb wire) so im pretty much ok with loads of SH covers now

if emp had come out 10 years before it did there wouldve been 4 more
http://supermania78.com/2013/02/an-ongoing-empire/

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 28/1/2014 8:26:51 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/1/2014 6:22:25 PM   
kevorino

TBH it does seem to be getting out of hand, I'm not a superhero film fan, once you've seen one you've seen them all.

I preferred it when superheroes were only for children and nerds.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 28
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 28/1/2014 11:19:37 PM   
rich

Only nerds buy film magazines

Meanwhile...

(in reply to kevorino)
Post #: 29
RE: Please Empire, enough superhero covers! - 9/2/2014 8:49:52 PM   
bobthegrinch

I actually stopped my subscription to Empire after the entire issue devoted to the first Hobbit film (alright the big interview wasn't explicitly about the Hobbit but was Hobbit star Cate Blanchett) but I suppose I accept that that's what they thought would sell the magazine and it is ultimately a for profit rather than artistic endeavour.

I can understand the fervour over superhero films always being on the cover though. I mean, the latest issue has 25 superhero covers, although amusingly they seem to have made everyone think X-men DOFP is going to be terrible thanks to how bad they all look. I was actually wondering, obviously the images used come from the studio so we can't blame them for how bad Sentinels or Quicksilver look, but who did the shitty photoshopping? Did Empire have any say in the cover images or does the blame lie squarely with fox?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Please Empire, enough superhero covers! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI