Issue 293

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Issue 293 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issue 293 - 24/8/2013 1:20:32 PM   
bereski

Please, please no Catching Fire-themed cover.
Post #: 1
RE: Issue 293 - 24/8/2013 3:54:21 PM   
buffster28

quote:

ORIGINAL: bereski

Please, please no Catching Fire-themed cover.

Got a feeling it probably will be.

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 2
RE: Issue 293 - 24/8/2013 8:05:43 PM   
xzynomorpher

Either that or The Hobbit again.

(in reply to buffster28)
Post #: 3
RE: Issue 293 - 25/8/2013 2:09:49 PM   
buffster28

quote:

ORIGINAL: xzynomorpher

or The Hobbit again.

Urgh really hope not

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to xzynomorpher)
Post #: 4
RE: Issue 293 - 25/8/2013 2:45:47 PM   
jackcarter

Expendables 3

(in reply to buffster28)
Post #: 5
RE: Issue 293 - 25/8/2013 10:33:54 PM   
xzynomorpher

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: xzynomorpher

or The Hobbit again.

Urgh really hope not

It will happen eventually man, if not this issue then the next one.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 6
RE: Issue 293 - 31/8/2013 10:45:53 AM   
bereski

I'd love to see something more niche and artistic on your covers EMPIRE, Gravity or The Zero Theorem instead of another latex-wearing superhero. Sometimes I've an impression, it's being edited by 10 year old kid who just want to see shit blows up and magic powers save the world. Your covers are good in terms of design, but come on, give us something more!

(in reply to xzynomorpher)
Post #: 7
RE: Issue 293 - 13/9/2013 10:20:07 AM   
film man aidy

Absolutely agree. Give Superheroes a rest will you?! I expect Catching Fire next, with The Hobbit the following month. Maybe an outside chance of Jack Ryan. Having said that, I would love to be surprised...

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 8
RE: Issue 293 - 14/9/2013 3:38:53 PM   
Fincher

quote:

I'd love to see something more niche and artistic on your covers EMPIRE, Gravity or The Zero Theorem instead of another latex-wearing superhero. Sometimes I've an impression, it's being edited by 10 year old kid who just want to see shit blows up and magic powers save the world. Your covers are good in terms of design, but come on, give us something more!

I would also love Gravity on the cover.

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 9
RE: Issue 293 - 20/9/2013 4:27:07 PM   
luccewada

It's almost as hard to predict as the Spidey issue was... hmmm....
I could be wrong, but here it goes...

Cover: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features: Gravity, Escape Plan, Don Jon, Closed Circuit, AGENTS OF SHIELD???

Reviews: The Fifth Estate, Diana, Riddick, City of Bones

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 10
RE: Issue 293 - 23/9/2013 11:54:29 AM   
film man aidy

Anybody get their issue today?

(in reply to luccewada)
Post #: 11
RE: Issue 293 - 23/9/2013 1:31:51 PM   
Scruffybobby

Yup, winter preview issue. Main features on Catching Fire, Gravity, Carrie Remake, Cronenberg Props and ROTJ retrospective. Subscriber's cover is Jennifer Lawrence in Catching Fire - not sure what the regular one is

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 12
RE: Issue 293 - 24/9/2013 11:55:00 AM   
bereski

For the first time I wonder I'm gonna buy it or not.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 13
RE: Issue 293 - 24/9/2013 10:13:47 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

For the first time I wonder I'm gonna buy it or not.

quote:

Yup, winter preview issue. Main features on Catching Fire, Gravity, Carrie Remake, Cronenberg Props and ROTJ retrospective. Subscriber's cover is Jennifer Lawrence in Catching Fire - not sure what the regular one is

That wouldve been a nice cover

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 14
RE: Issue 293 - 27/9/2013 4:05:54 PM   
Helen OHara

Just a word on this: there's a big article on Gravity inside the issue, so look out for that.

On covers, the cover has one job, and that's to sell the magazine. The covers chosen for the magazine are the ones we think will do that, and while we do experiment with other films, the superhero / action / comic-book films are the ones currently doing the job. The cover's only ever a partial reflection of what's inside, so do actually read the mag for more on your favourite films.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 15
RE: Issue 293 - 28/9/2013 1:19:35 AM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

Just a word on this: there's a big article on Gravity inside the issue, so look out for that.

On covers, the cover has one job, and that's to sell the magazine. The covers chosen for the magazine are the ones we think will do that, and while we do experiment with other films, the superhero / action / comic-book films are the ones currently doing the job. The cover's only ever a partial reflection of what's inside, so do actually read the mag for more on your favourite films.

... and what about the subscribers' covers? Subscribers get the magazine anyway, so maybe you can experiment a bit more with them... at least to avoid multiple covers for the same movie :-)

PS: i may look like i'm complaining but i really LOVE your magazine. Thanks for your outstanding work!

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 16
RE: Issue 293 - 28/9/2013 6:25:04 PM   
luccewada

Huh, I guessed the issue completely correctly!
Anyhoo... I quite like it. The Catching Fire feature itself is very short, and I fully sympathise with putting such a MASSIVE movie on the cover. Meanwhile, I will NOT be buying anything with Transformers 4 on it, unless it's that nice Irish lad Jack Reynor, of course!

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 17
RE: Issue 293 - 30/9/2013 7:43:58 AM   
Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: dseys

... and what about the subscribers' covers? Subscribers get the magazine anyway, so maybe you can experiment a bit more with them... at least to avoid multiple covers for the same movie :-)

PS: i may look like i'm complaining but i really LOVE your magazine. Thanks for your outstanding work!

But we're not generally going to give subscribers a completely different film, that'd be weird (and we'd get complaints). We do experiment with those, but aside from a vanishingly small number of cases (the Heath Ledger cover springs to mind) it's not going to be a different film because people - including subscribers - are more likely to want the big popular films than not.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 18
RE: Issue 293 - 7/10/2013 1:22:52 PM   
BelfastBoy

Anybody else find it a bit odd that, before actually getting to the huge Winter preview that dominates the issue, you'll find several of the featured films (including Emperor and The Fifth Estate) getting trashed in the reviews section? I suspect that the features would've been prepared some time ago and there just wasn't space to include them in earlier issues though, it happens from time to time. (I remember instances from years ago when Catwoman and Pathfinder were witheringly reviewed, while later in the same issues there were lengthy and ostensibly positive features about them. It jars a bit, but obviously there's just not space all the time to include everything, especially when there's so many superhero films years away from release that take priority lol! )

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 19
RE: Issue 293 - 7/10/2013 4:37:18 PM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Anybody else find it a bit odd that, before actually getting to the huge Winter preview that dominates the issue, you'll find several of the featured films (including Emperor and The Fifth Estate) getting trashed in the reviews section? I suspect that the features would've been prepared some time ago and there just wasn't space to include them in earlier issues though, it happens from time to time. (I remember instances from years ago when Catwoman and Pathfinder were witheringly reviewed, while later in the same issues there were lengthy and ostensibly positive features about them. It jars a bit, but obviously there's just not space all the time to include everything, especially when there's so many superhero films years away from release that take priority lol! )

So true ^^

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Issue 293 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI