Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:58:52 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

I actually didn't mind Jersey Girl... I thought that got a bad rap purely because of Jennifer Lopez' involvement, and while it's not a fantastic film, it's a pretty sweet guilty pleasure, and Affleck gives a good performance in it. Never bothered watching Gigli, though. I think he's a fine actor, and am a big fan of some of his stuff... he's just not right for Batman, and I don't need to give him a chance, because I gave him a chance with Daredevil and he should have learnt to stay well away from superheroes from that.

I agree that it won't be the end of the world... but this is the internet. If we can't over-react here, where can we?

I'm assuming this is thinly veiled dig at my rant? Didn't say I wouldn't give him a chance, just think he is a terrible actor. I referenced to Daredevil as their are similarities between the two characters and he is shit in it. I thought I was being fairly humorous and was actually taking the piss out of myself and hysterical fan reaction to his casting. I did also discuss Orlando Bloom, MOS, my desire to be sucked off by a tornado and my ex-wife in my post...thought you would have got that but never mind.

Guess I'm not as funny as I thought but hey ho!

No, it was a response to MonsterCat.

On...*whistles*...sorry

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 31
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 12:00:17 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I actually didn't mind Jersey Girl... I thought that got a bad rap purely because of Jennifer Lopez' involvement, and while it's not a fantastic film, it's a pretty sweet guilty pleasure, and Affleck gives a good performance in it. Never bothered watching Gigli, though. I think he's a fine actor, and am a big fan of some of his stuff... he's just not right for Batman, and I don't need to give him a chance, because I gave him a chance with Daredevil and he should have learnt to stay well away from superheroes from that.

I agree that it won't be the end of the world... but this is the internet. If we can't over-react here, where can we?

I'm assuming this is thinly veiled dig at my rant? Didn't say I wouldn't give him a chance, just think he is a terrible actor. I referenced to Daredevil as their are similarities between the two characters and he is shit in it. I thought I was being fairly humorous and was actually taking the piss out of myself and hysterical fan reaction to his casting. I did also discuss Orlando Bloom, MOS, my desire to be sucked off by a tornado and my ex-wife in my post...thought you would have got that but never mind.

On...*whistles*...sorry

You're still wrong, though.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 32
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 12:06:32 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

On...*whistles*...sorry

You're still wrong, though.

Where the hell is DannyBhoy??!! I thought this thread would be right up his hating Nolan/Snyder/Everything street!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 33
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 12:08:33 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Where the hell is DannyBhoy??!! I thought this thread would be right up his hating Nolan/Snyder/Everything street!!

Don't we have to look in a mirror and say his name five times for him to appear?

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 34
RE: In the words of Lord Vader - 23/8/2013 12:21:00 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocksandstuff

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 35
RE: Kiss my teeth - 23/8/2013 12:21:43 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOPOI

I was going that the influence of Nolan would have brought more imaginative casting. They must realise that the success of Batman was down to brilliant casting. Each actor held his own as almost method. In a 3d world, Ben Affleck is 2D. He has proven time and again that he is Ben Affleck as Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in everything. For this to work, most were going for 'deeper' actors. However, I get the feeling that maybe these types (Brolin, Caveziel) might have turned it down?

You could post this a thousand times it'll still be bollocks.

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 36
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 12:30:35 PM   
Oroborous

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown
I'm old enough to remember Batfans burning effigies of Michael Keaton back in the late 80s. Nowadays they just go straight to the internet because making effigies takes too much effort.

I still like to make a good effigy when the mood takes me. I won't bother in this instance because I'm not angry or offended by this casting choice, I'm just dissapointed and deeply underwhelmed. If there were an effigy for this it would simply end up sat in a corner gathering dust because it wouldn't be worth burning. This just demonstrates a reliance on 'names' rather than originality, where they could have given someone new a chance to make this iconic role their own without the shadows of any past achievements. It's not like they need a big star to pull in the crowds for Batman anyway. Affleck may give a good performance but he will really have to do something special to make himself Batman rather than 'Ben Affleck as Batman'. The thing is, if the film around him is as crap as it likely will be, it won't matter either way.

Post #: 37
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 1:00:18 PM   
demoncleaner

It's a shame, a credible young film director like that showing movie star pretensions.

In the nolan era I think that superman and batman can just manage to pull off the conceit that they exist in the "real world" if they're kept separate. Bringing them together does seem to ask for a far more heightened stylisation. No one wants the joel schumacher thing back, basically I just think the studio should simply bung the guys at Rock Steady a few quid to take their Arkham video games to the big screen. It would be cheaper, earn them more credibility and make them a merry bajillion in the process.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 38
RE: Actor and director - 23/8/2013 1:07:37 PM   
SouthMouth

I don't agree with anyone saying Affleck is not a good actor. He is good like he especially was for me in Good Will Hunting, Dogma (especially towards the end), Changing Lanes, Hollywoodland and The Town. And he has learnt a lot over the years and become a better actor for it. Also, I don't entirely blame him for Daredevil as it was during the whole Bennifer thing and the director Mark Steven Johnson is a terrible director who obviously didn't have the talent to steer Affeck and the film in the right direction. I believe he has as much right to be considered for the role as anyone else. However, in my opinion on this specific role as someone said earlier, this is Batman! And ignoring all the other batshit others are saying about his credentials when he has plenty, he just doesn't feel like the right choice. But because I like Affleck, I'm up for seeing how they and he handle this and I hope it turns out well because we all want this film to succeed as its such a great concept to have them both together in the same film.
Post #: 39
RE: Kiss my teeth - 23/8/2013 1:12:50 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

I was going that the influence of Nolan would have brought more imaginative casting. They must realise that the success of Batman was down to brilliant casting. Each actor held his own as almost method. In a 3d world, Ben Affleck is 2D. He has proven time and again that he is Ben Affleck as Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in everything. For this to work, most were going for 'deeper' actors. However, I get the feeling that maybe these types (Brolin, Caveziel) might have turned it down?

You really believe that Jim Caviezel and Josh Brolin would be higher on a casting director's wish list than Oscar-winning, right-back-on-the-A List Ben Affleck? Dream on! Haters, consider this too: look who else was linked by the press to the role - are you really telling me you'd prefer Orlando Bloom or Joe Manganiello to Affleck? Jon Hamm maybe, but he gives no indications of wanting to headline blockbuster films.

Unlike many others, I've no particular problem with Affleck's casting, and am certainly prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. He can't be any worse than Clooney. However, having seen the travesty that is Daredevil, my note of caution would be that he hasn't done in his best work in overt blockbusters. I came pretty late to the Kevin Smith party, and so was totally amazed that the wooden scenery-chewer of Armageddon, Pearl Harbour etc was the same guy who did such great work in something like Chasing Amy.

One plea though - could Ben please direct the film as well as playing Batman? Whatever you think of him as an actor, or whatever his suitability for the role of Batman, there's ample evidence in his directorial works that he could confidently helm a superhero film. All IMO of course!
Post #: 40
RE: Actor and director - 23/8/2013 1:33:31 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: unplugged7x

He was flawless in Argo so I can see this working out. But I'd be more excited for the sequel if he was behind the camera.

How can you compare Argo and Batman? Maggie Smith was flawless in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel; doesn't mean she should be Wonder Woman!

Post #: 41
RE: Actor and director - 23/8/2013 1:34:33 PM   
AxlReznor

To be fair, his character in Argo was a good man trying to do what was right whilst dealing with the death of close family... ringing any bells?

Post #: 42
RE: Undecided... - 23/8/2013 1:35:08 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: jenp65

I am underwelmed really with the choice.....Although I think he was very good in the Town and Argo (where he has control behind the camera) without that level of control are we back to Daredevil....
I would maybe have liked the Gerard Butler. He definatly has the charm for the Bruce Wayne personna and can pull off the action sections. He is also slightly older adn has the acting chops to pull it off....Just throwing that out there.....It has nothing to do with his devilish good looks or killer bode...lol

Get. Out.

Post #: 43
RE: Actor and director - 23/8/2013 1:37:55 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

To be fair, his character in Argo was a good man trying to do what was right whilst dealing with the death of close family... ringing any bells?

In that case they should have cast Woody Harrleson as that what his character was doing in Zombie Land

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 44
RE: lets hope - 23/8/2013 2:57:27 PM   
Hugh_Fran

quote:

ORIGINAL: tokin5000

Great choice for batman. the last three movies i dont really consider proper batman movies just some guys take on the universe that was not pulled off very well.

Hmm, I guess you are the kind of person that enjoys overly camp 'Batman Forever' style superheroes. Oh well, each to their own I suppose
Post #: 45
RE: Kiss my teeth - 23/8/2013 3:42:43 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Stop repeating the same post, you annoying cunt!

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 46
RE: Kiss my teeth - 23/8/2013 3:46:35 PM   
jonson

I'm pleasantly surprised. I like Ben Affleck.
Dare I say it, but I thought Bale was great as Bruce Wayne but annoying as fuck as Batman. I didn't like him one bit.

Oh, and....
......I was going that the influence of Nolan would have brought more imaginative casting. They must realise that the success of Batman was down to brilliant casting. Each actor held his own as almost method. In a 3d world, Ben Affleck is 2D. He has proven time and again that he is Ben Affleck as Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in everything. For this to work, most were going for 'deeper' actors. However, I get the feeling that maybe these types (Brolin, Caveziel) might have turned it down?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 47
RE: - 23/8/2013 4:44:18 PM   
drawmyfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: dunkah

Chill out virgins

This would have made my afternoon if it weren't the start of a bank holiday weekend.

Still very funny, though.

And to add my .02c- I'm happy with this choice, I like Affleck and I think he'll be good. I've seen people on other sites react in the most hyperbolic, hilariously bombastic fashion "FML!! I hate you WB!! This has ruined my year!!" etc.

Chill out indeed...

My face is my fortune. Can I borrow a fiver...?
Post #: 48
RE: lets hope - 23/8/2013 7:15:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: tokin5000

Great choice for batman. the last three movies i dont really consider proper batman movies just some guys take on the universe that was not pulled off very well.

I agree with this except for the first four words.

I think Affleck is an appalling actor. Then again, Man Of Steel was a pile of shit so maybe he'll suit it.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 49
RE: Undecided... - 23/8/2013 8:27:04 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jenp65

I am underwelmed really with the choice.....Although I think he was very good in the Town and Argo (where he has control behind the camera) without that level of control are we back to Daredevil....
I would maybe have liked the Gerard Butler. He definatly has the charm for the Bruce Wayne personna and can pull off the action sections. He is also slightly older adn has the acting chops to pull it off....Just throwing that out there.....It has nothing to do with his devilish good looks or killer bode...lol

Get. Out.

Now, I LOVE Gerard Butler, but he wouldn't be right for Batman. He can't disguise his accent well enough so we'd have a Batman who was Scottish 40% of the time and a Scot who'd recently moved to America and was stuck somewhere between two accents the other 60%.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 50
RE: Snyder is the issue!! - 24/8/2013 2:49:16 AM   
Hood_Man

http://i.imgur.com/mhe2XQJ.gif
Post #: 51
RE: The following Epitaph is to be published in July 2015: - 24/8/2013 7:04:40 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucrezia

In the pantheon of DC superheros Batman stood alone. Whereas other heroes relied on powers and abilities to see them through the day they all had their Achilles heal, they all had their kryptonite. Batman was different, while on surface he may have only been a man in a suit, underneath he was so much more. He wasn't just an incorruptible symbol or a caped crusader, he was an awesome bada*s motherfu*ker who would never stop or back down no matter the cost. Bane may have broken the Bat, and in 1997 George Clooney nearly killed him, but he survived both. He may have been just a man, but he was a man with no weaknesses..... or so we thought. In 2013 the world cried out, but no heed was paid to the warning given. Armageddon, Daredevil, Paycheck, Pearl Harbour, Gigli, they were but a few of the past atrocities committed by a man whose path of destruction through the world was beyond measure and, in the end, even The Dark Knight himself proved helpless against the storm. In 2013 Ben Affleck took on Batman, and in 2015 Batman died.

R.I.P Batman

DC/Warner Bros - What the hell were you thinking?!!!
(From an earlier Facebook post https://www.facebook.com/batman?fref=ts)

What a load of pretentious balls, get a fucking life.

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 52
RE: The following Epitaph is to be published in July 2015: - 24/8/2013 10:38:35 AM   
Scruffybobby

Some of these made me lol. Frankie Boyle's is my favourite

http://io9.com/the-50-greatest-tweets-about-ben-afflecks-casting-as-1188521731

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 53
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 25/8/2013 6:51:30 AM   
pepperfoot

should be funny. he dosent seem that scary to me. i think we all just laugh when we look at ben

best football movies

Post #: 54
RE: The following Epitaph is to be published in July 2015: - 27/8/2013 8:59:41 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Some of these made me lol. Frankie Boyle's is my favourite

http://io9.com/the-50-greatest-tweets-about-ben-afflecks-casting-as-1188521731

I'm actually quite stupefied!

Daredevil was a decade ago and the guy has nailed it consistently (directing or acting) since Gone Baby Gone in 2007.

Personally, I think he's a great shout... Especially for a more mature version of Batman.

After the initial reaction to Ledger being cast as The Joker I would have thought people might have been a little more open minded.

I fully expect him to smash it... And some people seem stuck on a Boston accent even if he did go that way (he won't) how would that be any less preposterous than Bales cancer grown.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 55
ARGOBen is BATMAN - 27/8/2013 11:28:00 AM   
Wim

Never liked his acting in Armageddon, Pearl Harbor,... unitll I saw ARGO. There he was fantastic: Sober, tormented, modest...
And when I read that Zack Snyder was looking for an "older" and "wiser", more seasoned Batman then I'm convinced that the Ben Affleck we saw in ARGO is the man.

Post #: 56
I think he'll be good - 27/8/2013 2:18:56 PM   
pgmark

That is my thoughts on the matter.

Post #: 57
RE: I think he'll be good - 28/8/2013 9:39:21 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I reckon they only did it to deflect attention away from the fact that Snyder's directing again!

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 28/8/2013 9:40:18 AM >

(in reply to pgmark)
Post #: 58
Might as well add nipples too... - 1/9/2013 3:41:23 PM   
marcus_fuller

Between Snyder directing, Affleck in a batsuit, and the sour taste Man of Steel left in my mouth this summer, it's going to take one hell of a movie to swing my views on this one. Guess I'll be supporting Team Marvel next summer!

Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI