Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ben Affleck Is The New Batman Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 6:20:56 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Too soon. - 23/8/2013 6:29:58 AM   
UTB

I can't wait to hear his Bat-voice.
Post #: 2
RE: - 23/8/2013 7:37:44 AM   
Ulmaceae

Can we get him to direct instead?

Andy, Bristol
Thankyou for not mentioning Dutch Elm disease
Post #: 3
RE: - 23/8/2013 7:39:51 AM   
jobloffski

This is an awesome piece of meta casting. Affleck was great in Hollywoodland as the 'from hopeful to failure and then death' George 'TV Superman' Reeves. He can do jaded, and scornful of the Superman heroism/idealism thing because inHollywoodland he did it already.

Daredevil, particularly the extended version is in no way the piece of shit most seem to believe it to be, and I look forward to seeing Affleck in this forthcoming cinematic entertainment.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 23/8/2013 7:53:05 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.
Post #: 4
RE: Argo f**k yourselves - 23/8/2013 8:16:41 AM   
elyoda

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na BATFLECK! (sadly, not the first)

As for an actual opinion, I'm going to admit to already being intrigued to how he'll play it. If he could angle in some of the jaded Loki from 'Dogma' (particularly the murderous bit) that would make for an interesting Batman. Also going back to 'Daredevil', he did play the Murdock part of the role well, so if he can channel that into Wayne, again could give interesting results.
Post #: 5
RE: U can hear the champagne getting popped... - 23/8/2013 8:34:29 AM   
AxlReznor

I've always thought Ben Affleck was a good actor (even when he accepted roles in shitty movies), but Daredevil proved that he should never play a superhero. Ever.
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 23/8/2013 8:36:37 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

This is an awesome piece of meta casting. Affleck was great in Hollywoodland as the 'from hopeful to failure and then death' George 'TV Superman' Reeves. He can do jaded, and scornful of the Superman heroism/idealism thing because inHollywoodland he did it already.

Daredevil, particularly the extended version is in no way the piece of shit most seem to believe it to be, and I look forward to seeing Affleck in this forthcoming cinematic entertainment.

Maybe not - though I have no time for either cut - but he was completely miscast in the role and admits as much himself.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 7
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 9:04:06 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

Oh god; this is actually true!! I havent woken up from some horrific nightmare where they have horribly mis-cast Batman with the actor who was horribly mis-cast in Daredevil...this is actually happening! Although this is Snyder, the man who horribly mis-cast everyone but Superman and Johnathan Kent in MOS; and then horribly underused Kevin Costner in his role as Johnathan Kent by making him sacrifice his life with his wife to save a dog from a tornado with a horribly ill concieved idea to film a scene involving a tornado wiping out loads of people, in a town where 5 years previous, an actual tornado actually killed 25 people in that town. To be fair to Jonathan Kent when I was married if I thought my only way out was to run into a tornado I would have taken off all my clothes, written 'suck me off big boy' on my chest and danced my way into that spinning vortex of bad cgi doom. But im not angry or bitter at this casting as I havent seen Affleck do that gritted teeth, mouth open thing for a while, mainly as I make a habit of avoiding films that have Ben Affleck in. But it could be worse; I read yesterday that Orlando Bloom was the favourite for the role, Orlando Bloom who has been horribly miscast in everything; in fact if they were to make a biography on Orlando Bloom called Orlando Bloom: How I Keep Convincing People I Can Act, if the director was to make the film and cast Orlando Bloom as himself, he would be horribly miscast. But im not pissed off about this news; in another announcement from Warner Bros; Helen Mirren has been cast as the new James Bond, directed by Micheal Bay, the film shot entirely in slow motion at sunset and set on a naval base sees James Bond fight off sexism, racism and world peace by blowing everything up...in slow motion.

Oh who the fuck am I kidding; i'll probably go to the cinema and watch it anyway as I am a Batman whore...and it cant be any worse than Batman and Robin or Daredevil can it?....CAN IT?????!!!!!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 8
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 9:05:53 AM   
blackduck

Will this be the new Craignotbond?

Personally I think he has potential, yes he can be a very cheesy actor, but when he puts his mind to it he's really good.
right now I'm looking forward to it.

I am but an egg.
Post #: 9
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 9:07:43 AM   
AxlReznor

Calm down...

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 10
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 10:38:32 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

the same lol'erific reaction as with Heath Ledger. And Michael Keaton.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 11
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 10:52:46 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

the same lol'erific reaction as with Heath Ledger. And Michael Keaton.

and Anne Hathaway. I like Affleck he's a decent actor, people just don't like him because he's been in some shitty films. I thought Daredevil was a decent enough movie and the director's cut of that is more than decent.  I'm happy to wait and see.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 23/8/2013 10:55:05 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

Word.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 13
RE: Batman vs Superman? - 23/8/2013 10:59:58 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dans_Vices

I don't get this at all, Superman is indestructible (bar kyptonite incursions), Batman was almost beaten to death by a Mexican wrestler. Superman vs Batman - there can be only one winner surely??

Affleck, terrible idea, too much Hollywood cheese factor for me. But I suspect this movie will be a shocking cheese fest.

The Mexican wrestler didn't go up against him until he was physically and mentally weakened from having to round up all of the lunatics that he busted out of the asylum. Which was a particularly shitty move considering all of the shit he said about being the best. In the rematch a few years later, Batman was the clear winner.

Likewise, Batman has managed to defeat Superman every time they've ever had to fight each other through his insane willpower, prep work, a little bit of fight-rigging (kryptonite ring in Hush), and just sheer luck (a nuclear blast blocking the sun in The Dark Knight Returns, thus depriving Superman of his energy source)... not that any of this is relevant to who has been cast as Batman, so I'm not sure why your brought it up.
Post #: 14
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 11:00:54 AM   
DancingClown

I'm loving the whole "Batfleck" thing. I'm also laughing at the hordes of squealing internet piggies shitting their little knickers over this. Hysterical. Like UTB said Keaton had it worse, and that was before the internet.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 15
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 11:07:34 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I'm loving the whole "Batfleck" thing. I'm also laughing at the hordes of squealing internet piggies shitting their little knickers over this. Hysterical. Like UTB said Keaton had it worse, and that was before the internet.

Keaton hadn't already starred as a very similar character before, and proved that he was completely wrong for that kind of role.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 16
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 11:13:48 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

Keaton hadn't already starred as a very similar character before, and proved that he was completely wrong for that kind of role.

Keaton was terrific. Subjective, innit.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 17
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 11:16:44 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes... Keaton was terrific. My point is, Ben Affleck has already proven he won't be, by appearing in a movie based on what is basically Marvel's version of Batman already. He admits himself that he was miscast in that movie. What makes people think he hasn't been miscast as what is pretty much an identical character, I don't know...

(And I'm sure he'll be good as Bruce Wayne, just as he was good as Matt Murdock... but when he wears the costume he was shit, and will be shit).

Post #: 18
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 11:22:05 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes... Keaton was terrific. My point is, Ben Affleck has already proven he won't be, by appearing in a movie based on what is basically Marvel's version of Batman already. He admits himself that he was miscast in that movie. What makes people think he hasn't been miscast as what is pretty much an identical character, I don't know...

(And I'm sure he'll be good as Bruce Wayne, just as he was good as Matt Murdock... but when he wears the costume he was shit, and will be shit).

Or maybe not.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 19
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 11:24:13 AM   
AxlReznor

There's no maybe's about it. He was miscast as Daredevil, therefore he has been miscast as Batman.

Post #: 20
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:24:28 AM   
MonsterCat

It's good to see y'all have a sense of perspective about this and are willing to give Affleck a chance. Seriously, it's like IMDB during his Gigli/Jersey Girl era in this place.

Batman was my guy when I was a kid, I still have some affection for the character and it's a shame when an actor gets him wrong (I'm looking at you, Kilmer and Clooney), but I say give Affleck a chance. Yes, he's a better director than an actor but this could be one of the few times he gets right.

And even if he is terrible and the film sucks it's not the end of the world.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 21
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:28:47 AM   
AxlReznor

I actually didn't mind Jersey Girl... I thought that got a bad rap purely because of Jennifer Lopez' involvement, and while it's not a fantastic film, it's a pretty sweet guilty pleasure, and Affleck gives a good performance in it. Never bothered watching Gigli, though. I think he's a fine actor, and am a big fan of some of his stuff... he's just not right for Batman, and I don't need to give him a chance, because I gave him a chance with Daredevil and he should have learnt to stay well away from superheroes from that.

I agree that it won't be the end of the world... but this is the internet. If we can't over-react here, where can we?

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 23/8/2013 11:29:25 AM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 22
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:32:48 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oroborous

This just confirms that, whether he'll give a good performance or not, it's just damn lazy casting.

Or perhaps very smart casting. It's got everyone talking that's for sure.

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 23
RE: Sit down...I'm about to rant!! - 23/8/2013 11:34:19 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

There's no maybe's about it. He was miscast as Daredevil, therefore he has been miscast as Batman.

I understand the trepidation, but the guy's older and wiser now. And Batman is a very different super-hero.

I look forward to this motion picture.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 24
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:39:13 AM   
Oroborous

quote:

How is that the definition of smart casting? If they cast John Goodman in the role it would get everyone talking, but that'd be terrible casting, because his voice wouldn't sound right.
And if they're measuring the success of a casting choice on whether it stirs up a strong vocal reaction or not, then that's definitely lazy.

Post #: 25
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:50:10 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

How is that the definition of smart casting? If they cast John Goodman in the role it would get everyone talking, but that'd be terrible casting, because his voice wouldn't sound right.

Really? His voice would be your main point of contention about Goodman as Batman?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 26
RE: RE: - 23/8/2013 11:50:32 AM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: markmilham

I honestly don't think Affleck will ruin this film. He's learnt a lot since Daredevil. If anyone will ruin this film, its Zak Snyder.

quote:

Both of these.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 27
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:53:49 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

And if they're measuring the success of a casting choice on whether it stirs up a strong vocal reaction or not, then that's definitely lazy.

But there are many who approve of this casting choice and don't think it's lazy, like myself. But there's room for a good debate. And whilst I didn't really have any interest before in this film, I now do. And it's not just because I'm shocked or surprised at the choice but because I like the guy and am interested to see what he brings to the role, now that he's older and wiser. To me that's smart casting.

I'm old enough to remember Batfans burning effigies of Michael Keaton back in the late 80s. Nowadays they just go straight to the internet because making effigies takes too much effort.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 28
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:54:44 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

I actually didn't mind Jersey Girl... I thought that got a bad rap purely because of Jennifer Lopez' involvement, and while it's not a fantastic film, it's a pretty sweet guilty pleasure, and Affleck gives a good performance in it. Never bothered watching Gigli, though. I think he's a fine actor, and am a big fan of some of his stuff... he's just not right for Batman, and I don't need to give him a chance, because I gave him a chance with Daredevil and he should have learnt to stay well away from superheroes from that.

I agree that it won't be the end of the world... but this is the internet. If we can't over-react here, where can we?

I'm assuming this is thinly veiled dig at my rant? Didn't say I wouldn't give him a chance, just think he is a terrible actor. I referenced to Daredevil as their are similarities between the two characters and he is shit in it. I thought I was being fairly humorous and was actually taking the piss out of myself and hysterical fan reaction to his casting. I did also discuss Orlando Bloom, MOS, my desire to be sucked off by a tornado and my ex-wife in my post...thought you would have got that but never mind.

Guess I'm not as funny as I thought but hey ho!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 29
RE: Ben Affleck Is The New Batman - 23/8/2013 11:55:45 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

I'm assuming this is thinly veiled dig at my rant? Didn't say I wouldn't give him a chance, just think he is a terrible actor. I referenced to Daredevil as their are similarities between the two characters and he is shit in it. I thought I was being fairly humorous and was actually taking the piss out of myself and hysterical fan reaction to his casting. I did also discuss Orlando Bloom, MOS, my desire to be sucked off by a tornado and my ex-wife in my post...thought you would have got that but never mind.

Guess I'm not as funny as I thought but hey ho!

No, it was a response to MonsterCat.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ben Affleck Is The New Batman Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI