Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
You're Next - 23/8/2013 12:31:41 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
You're Next - 23/8/2013 12:31:41 AM   
JJB888

Saw this tonight, there are a few strong scares and jumps but mostly, for those ready for it, this is a great mix of funny and violent thrills. People who are avid fans of films like Cabin in the Woods and Scream may be familiar with moments of the narrative structure but this is a ferociously enjoyable Horror ride. You’re Next seems to have initial stutters of expectedness but once you get past a certain point, earlier things don’t seem quite as odd- enough said. You’re Next is a smart, well-made, brutal film, boasting one of modern Horrors best recent heroines and an assured night of gruesome enjoyment. Utterly brilliant!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
http://horrorfocus.blogspot.co.uk/ - 1/9/2013 6:56:30 PM   
jackcarlin18

Finally, I was able to watch You're Next in the comfort of a cinema seat, with surround sound and a big ass screen. Though the screening was pretty empty (which was a shocker) I still managed to juice everything out of You're Next that was possible, and boy, that juice was great.

You're Next is a lot of things, and one of them not being the ground-breaking home-invasion it was initially made out to be. Don't get me wrong, this is a great film, but its short of being a masterpiece and way off in terms of being "ground-breaking", there is nothing wrong with that in the slightest. With its confident approach, it knows what it is, it sticks to the conventions adding it's own personality and it works; You're Next is a well-made, tense and confident new entry into the home-invasion and slasher sub-genre's alike.

Perhaps having high hopes isn't the best way to go into You're Next, nor is knowing a lot about the film as a lot of moments may come and go without the element of surprise which were perhaps explained in the synopsis, seen in a review or in the trailers; That's what it was like for me at times, I knew what was coming, when it was coming, but other than that, it's a shocker. The element of surprise never falls short, and as the bodies start to pile the surprises get bigger and better. The explanation for the killing may not be top notch, but it's a decent reason to get the gore going, and who cares really, if it's an excuse to get people die in horrible fashions then so be it.

The gore is perhaps the best part of You're Next, and without trying to give anything away, there are a few deaths that are so great you wonder why it hasn't been done before. The blood comes in bucket fulls and the comedy comes pitch black, You're Next knows how to get the horror buffs up and involved and the casual movie fans egging the action on. It's more of a movie fans type of movie, and less of a casual film-goer flick, it's filled to the brim with nods and wi

Post #: 3
RE: You're Next - 3/9/2013 3:59:17 PM   
demoncleaner

Not great at all I thought.

The script wasn't as strong as it could have been, particularly in the humour. I think the humour is important first of all to excuse some of the fun the film has with the kills. It wasn't clever enough to do the venality of the upper-middle class family interaction. A conversation about commercials being the highest form of filmic art directed at Ti West's cameo was a corny attempt at 'knowing nod'. I also thought there might be a political intent behind the motive when it's seeded in the beginning that the dad worked for a defence contractor. But no, I thought I might have enjoyed some lurid posturing in the motive exposing the hypocrisy of the privileged victims. But no, the why is so banal it verges on neglible.

It's important for the film that we dislike most of the characters (and we do) so we can get behind the one character whom we're supposed to. The ridiculous back-story to do with her survivalist abilities put paid to that for me.

2/5

Post #: 4
RE: You're Next - 5/9/2013 4:15:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

After a good first 20 minutes or so of fine build-up, the kid with the parkinson's disease takes over the camera and it all goes to pot. Parts of the film are virtually unwatchable due to the way they are filmed. Some creative kills, reasonable performances, but I've seen better filmmaking skill in your average F13 movie. What the hell is happening to cinema?

3.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 5/9/2013 4:18:22 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 5
Spot on! - 12/9/2013 10:38:45 PM   
tysmuse

I really enjoyed the film. Fun, funny, enjoyably scary, judged the gore just about right, one top class brutal kill in particular towards the end was the highlight.

Post #: 6
RE: You're Next - 13/9/2013 5:40:44 PM   
Qwerty Norris

With horror nowadays being completely overwhelmed by the hugely derivative, it's great to see something both subversive & free of the creepy/knowing child - possibly the most tiresome cliche in the whole of modern day cinema.

By no means perfect (some of the writing & acting let it down occasionally, whilst the budget constraints do it a disservice in places), but the grizzly set pieces are executed in a gleeful, entertaining manner and the jet black sense of humour sees it through to the very satisfying conclusion.

Far more "hahaha" then "help me", but that's still a triumph given so many horror efforts in the modern age fail to do either.

3/5

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

The ridiculous back-story to do with her survivalist abilities put paid to that for me.

It's a laughably absurd bit of back story...but I forgave it, so that's probably an indication that the film was working for me despite its many limitations.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

After a good first 20 minutes or so of fine build-up, the kid with the parkinson's disease takes over the camera and it all goes to pot. Parts of the film are virtually unwatchable due to the way they are filmed. Some creative kills, reasonable performances, but I've seen better filmmaking skill in your average F13 movie. What the hell is happening to cinema?

3.5/10

So your shaky cam & electronic music prejudices continue to cloud your judgement Doc?

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 7
- 6/10/2013 1:23:16 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched in cinema on friday:

You`re Next
During a family reunion the family is being attacked from outside their house. The attacks seem to be coming at random. They do everything they can to stop them.
A fun horror flick with a couple of good scares but nowhere it gets really scary. There is enough gore in it to keep you entertained but the biggest downside is the fact that about halfway through the film you get the explanation. That takes the tension and excitement out of it, letting the film bleed dead somewhat.
And that`s a pity because there`s more than enough potention to this story.

7,0/10

Post #: 8
RE: You're Next - 31/12/2013 12:05:53 PM   
chang

iven its title, you can be forgiven for assuming that Adam Wingard's home-invasion thriller will be just another blood-soaked body-count flick. But You're Next is better than that. A lot better.
quote:

You're Next

Post #: 9
haters - 15/1/2014 12:41:21 PM   
hadooooooooooooooken

finally watched it on blu ray yesterday, money well spent if u ask me, the movie was enjoyable, entertaining and funny. toward the end i as hoping the motives of the killings wasnt about money but i was wrong, which necessarily mean that the was anything wrong with it! i love how the haters (mostly frustrated filmmaker) r commenting on the lack of this and that, 2 words for u lot P!SS OFF

Post #: 10
RE: haters - 15/1/2014 1:13:59 PM   
elab49

A little excessive - why not try sticking to praising a film you like instead of unnecessary abuse of those who didn't?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to hadooooooooooooooken)
Post #: 11
RE: haters - 18/1/2014 10:36:11 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I watched it once last August at Frightfest. Definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat and filled with creatively brutal gore sequences.

I will consider giving it a re watch when I can.

< Message edited by adamthehorrorfan -- 18/1/2014 10:37:07 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: - 18/1/2014 11:56:00 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

A fun horror flick with a couple of good scares but nowhere it gets really scary. There is enough gore in it to keep you entertained but the biggest downside is the fact that about halfway through the film you get the explanation. That takes the tension and excitement out of it, letting the film bleed dead somewhat.

Agree with this - it starts out nice and sinister but the tension is lost at the twist, at which point it turns into an adult Home Alone crossed with Lady Rambo.

Good fun though. Would make a good double bill with No One Lives.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 13
RETRO THRILLS - 6/2/2014 6:16:45 PM   
ROTGUT

This is worth seeing. Takes a while to get going too, but when it does, it’s edge of the seat stuff. A family gathering at an isolated mansion with the evening seemingly set for a night of pleasant festivities and domestic communal bliss. And then – all hell breaks loose. You’re Next has echoes of a 70’s John Carpenter movie with the protagonists trapped in an enclosed building while being continually besieged by malevolent outside forces. When the mayhem starts, the action is full bloodied and eerily effective with the attackers all sporting cute little animal masks while dealing quick and horrible deaths to all and sundry. And because of the largely unknown nature of the cast, you’re never really sure who will kop it next. Thank goodness then for the one woman army that is Sharni Vinson who takes on the invaders at their own game. Turns out that she’s pretty adept at all this killing lark and when the bad guys finally break into the house and come looking for her... well….. I shall say no more. Adam Wingard’s film is nothing new – but it’s extremely well put together and you certainly get your money’s worth in terms of pure entertainment. FOUR STARS

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> You're Next Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI