Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jurassic Park - 22/8/2013 8:40:49 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Jurassic Farce - 22/8/2013 8:40:49 AM   
Oroborous

Wow, Spielberg must have completely re-written, re-shot, and re-edited this film for it to recieve this sort of praise. The last time I watched it, it possessed qualities completely opposed to those stated in this review... characters with wit and depth? No, I don't remember those... heck, I don't remember any characters. Only using CGI to serve the story rather than obscuring the lack of one? Is this a joke or something? If I were to summarize this film in a sentence, it would be as 'a shallow special effects demonstration that uses dinosaurs to obscure the lack of a story'. That's all this is.
'The occasional logic fault'? There are so many logic holes over the course of the film that the whole thing completely collapses like a worm-eaten wooden shack built on a sand dune. I'm not even talking about things for which one can suspend disbelief like the Dinosaur ressurection etc. (which I'm fine with), but simply numerous things that take place that just fundamentally don't make any sense, and demonstrate a lack of respect for the audience. It's like a film made with the assumption that the only people watching it will be dinosaur crazed kids who won't be offended when they're treated like an idiot, because they're too naive to realise it's happening. As one of those kids I loved it, but as an adult watching this mess, it's like being laughed at by Spielberg, nay, it's more like being casually insulted by him while he stands with his back turned, indifferent to my presence.
I can only assume that all the praise this film gets is purely fuelled by the nostalgia of people who loved it at a young age and haven't viewed it objectively, without the tinted lens of childhood memories, as an adult. This is evidenced by the fact that all mentions of it seem to focus on the memories and 'joys' of first seeing it at the cinema. You can't judge something by the values it had as a child, and if you enjoy it as an adult, fine, I realize some people have much lower standards than me and I won't criticize them for it.
But as I see it, the only value this film has is as an example of the advancement of special effects and the integration of CGI. I don't have anything against big special effects films with simple plots and characters, if it's well crafted, respects the audience and engages me. This, however, is shallow, flimsily executed and looks down on it's audience as mindless, and worst of all, heartless. As an adult I want fun and entertainment without feeling intellectually ignored, and I can find that elsewhere. This was the Avatar of it's day and nothing more, its time to grow up and face that.

< Message edited by Oroborous -- 22/8/2013 8:46:46 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Jurassic Farce - 22/8/2013 10:07:46 AM   
AxlReznor

Jesus... who hates Jurassic Park? Seriously!

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 3
RE: Jurassic Farce - 23/8/2013 11:41:33 AM   
Oroborous

I hate lazy, flimsy film making. And I like exaggerating.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 4
Spared no expense - 6/9/2013 2:20:40 PM   
KeithyT77

I love this film. I love the set-up and pacing. The effects are still verygood, with the shot of the T-rex walking between the two cars still as impressive now as it ever was, and better than the lazy CGI heavy blockbusters we get these days. This film preferred models to CGI, and despite what is thought of this film in terms of CGI, did not actually contain that many CGI elements at all.
My only disappointment comes from the fact that the only cinema screenings I can find are Imax. There are so few Imax screens around, plus there is the expense of Imax tickets. I'll wait to catch it on 3D BluRay instead.

Post #: 5
Bad IMAX 3D experience... - 11/9/2013 1:14:00 PM   
Drooch

Caught this today at an IMAX screening in London, was disappointed. I should mention it was a LIE-MAX screen, not a proper full IMAX, but given that the film was never shot for IMAX I wasn't too bothered. I should have been.

The top and bottom of the frame was cropped so that you couldn't even see the T-Rex's head while he roared at the end, nor could you see the brachiosaurus' head and feet when it chomps leaves and thuds to the ground early in the film, which is unforgivable.

The audio was also a problem - there was barely any bass. The earth should have shaken with each stomp of the T-Rex's foot, but it never did. The audio was cranked up so high the dialogue was oppressively loud throughout, and overly trebbly. It never sounded natural. My decent-but-not-high-end home cinema gives better sound than this, and it's supposed to be IMAX - the very best. Bullshit..

Any one else had a shoddy experience?

(in reply to KeithyT77)
Post #: 6
RE: Bad IMAX 3D experience... - 12/9/2013 12:11:03 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drooch

Caught this today at an IMAX screening in London, was disappointed. I should mention it was a LIE-MAX screen, not a proper full IMAX, but given that the film was never shot for IMAX I wasn't too bothered. I should have been.

The top and bottom of the frame was cropped so that you couldn't even see the T-Rex's head while he roared at the end, nor could you see the brachiosaurus' head and feet when it chomps leaves and thuds to the ground early in the film, which is unforgivable.

The audio was also a problem - there was barely any bass. The earth should have shaken with each stomp of the T-Rex's foot, but it never did. The audio was cranked up so high the dialogue was oppressively loud throughout, and overly trebbly. It never sounded natural. My decent-but-not-high-end home cinema gives better sound than this, and it's supposed to be IMAX - the very best. Bullshit..

Any one else had a shoddy experience?

That's a shame, I caught it in IMAX and didn't suffer any of those issues. The screen closest to me (Birmingham) isn't on the scale of the BFI IMAX screen but still huge, more than amply filled the screen. Thankfully we certainly didn't have either the cropping or the audio issues (the T-Rex attack was a highlight, could feel the roar reverberate in my chest ). I had a great experience, although a good proportion of it was marvelling at just how great it all looked. The 3D was pretty good, also.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 7
RE: Jurassic Farce - 13/9/2013 1:04:30 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oroborous

Wow, Spielberg must have completely re-written, re-shot, and re-edited this film for it to recieve this sort of praise. The last time I watched it, it possessed qualities completely opposed to those stated in this review... characters with wit and depth? No, I don't remember those... heck, I don't remember any characters. Only using CGI to serve the story rather than obscuring the lack of one? Is this a joke or something? If I were to summarize this film in a sentence, it would be as 'a shallow special effects demonstration that uses dinosaurs to obscure the lack of a story'. That's all this is.
'The occasional logic fault'? There are so many logic holes over the course of the film that the whole thing completely collapses like a worm-eaten wooden shack built on a sand dune. I'm not even talking about things for which one can suspend disbelief like the Dinosaur ressurection etc. (which I'm fine with), but simply numerous things that take place that just fundamentally don't make any sense, and demonstrate a lack of respect for the audience. It's like a film made with the assumption that the only people watching it will be dinosaur crazed kids who won't be offended when they're treated like an idiot, because they're too naive to realise it's happening. As one of those kids I loved it, but as an adult watching this mess, it's like being laughed at by Spielberg, nay, it's more like being casually insulted by him while he stands with his back turned, indifferent to my presence.
I can only assume that all the praise this film gets is purely fuelled by the nostalgia of people who loved it at a young age and haven't viewed it objectively, without the tinted lens of childhood memories, as an adult. This is evidenced by the fact that all mentions of it seem to focus on the memories and 'joys' of first seeing it at the cinema. You can't judge something by the values it had as a child, and if you enjoy it as an adult, fine, I realize some people have much lower standards than me and I won't criticize them for it.
But as I see it, the only value this film has is as an example of the advancement of special effects and the integration of CGI. I don't have anything against big special effects films with simple plots and characters, if it's well crafted, respects the audience and engages me. This, however, is shallow, flimsily executed and looks down on it's audience as mindless, and worst of all, heartless. As an adult I want fun and entertainment without feeling intellectually ignored, and I can find that elsewhere. This was the Avatar of it's day and nothing more, its time to grow up and face that.

You know that the story is about Dinosaurs right ? and since Dinosaurs don't exist anymore Steven Spielberg needed to use CGI. I do not agree that the rason why this film is so loved is nostalgia I am 32 years old and for me it the best film ever made. The cast do a great job and the film is not shollow at all. Why do think it was had two e-releases in the cinema because it is still a much loved classic. This is not the Avatar of it's day that film has lower standards. Jurassic Park is still a wonderful film that still entertains after 20 years. It time you face that.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 8
RE: Jurassic Farce - 13/9/2013 1:42:57 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

You are a patronising idiot.

That's all.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 13/9/2013 1:48:09 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 9
RE: Jurassic Farce - 13/9/2013 3:39:21 PM   
garvielloken

I'm not much of a fan of Jurassic Park either, but that comment about people having lower standards is pretty fucking insulting.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: Jurassic Farce - 13/9/2013 4:51:27 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

You are a patronising idiot.

That's all.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 11
RE: Jurassic Farce - 17/9/2013 10:44:39 PM   
lokier01

quote:

I don't have anything against big special effects films with simple plots and characters, if it's well crafted, respects the audience and engages me.

I would LOVE to get your opinion on a big sfx film that does the above better than Jurrasic Park.

Watch my webseries "The Lab" and join the campaign!
bit.ly/edraid_lab

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 12
RE: Jurassic Farce - 18/9/2013 12:24:28 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Jesus... who hates Jurassic Park? Seriously!

That top review made my day.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 13
RE: Jurassic Farce - 18/9/2013 6:29:16 AM   
Deon095

Jurassic Park is an Awesome Movie.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 14
RE: Jurassic Farce - 18/9/2013 7:12:04 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

'The occasional logic fault'? There are so many logic holes over the course of the film that the whole thing completely collapses like a worm-eaten wooden shack built on a sand dune.

If you really need to use this kind of tortured metaphor you've already lost the argument.

quote:

Load of self-aggrandising piffle.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 15
RE: Jurassic Farce - 19/9/2013 8:41:12 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

'The occasional logic fault'? There are so many logic holes over the course of the film that the whole thing completely collapses like a worm-eaten wooden shack built on a sand dune.

If you really need to use this kind of tortured metaphor you've already lost the argument.

quote:

Load of self-aggrandising piffle.

I have come to the opinion that Oroborous actually hates cinema. I have never seen them say one thing positive about a film. This film has a decent structure it has some decent performances (although there are some over the top and lacking) and is entertaining.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 16
Wit and Depth?! Effects barely aged?! - 24/9/2013 2:24:57 PM   
Nicky C

There's absolutely no depth to any of the characters. Watching JP again made me realize that it's really just an exercise in FX, some of which have not aged well. There's fuck all movie there apart from the dinosaurs either running left to right or right to left. There's merchandise all over the film (cry until your mum buys you a Jurassic Park lunchbox, kids!) and the characters have one or two bullet points of backstory, none of which is relevant. It's a brilliant movie, but it's not a masterpiece and treating it as such is an exercise in blinkered nostalgia. Nobody cared about JP when it was 15 years old, so audiences shouldn't let studios tell them what to care about. I don't give a shit about JP4 either, as 2 and 3 were both awful.

Post #: 17
RE: Jurassic Park - 26/9/2013 11:30:14 PM   
StevenKThomas

One of my childhood memories. I remember after seeing the fossil inside the tree sap I went outside and peeled back some and tried fossilizing an ant... I wonder if it's still on that tree back home? Hmm...

www.youtube.com/TheSStandsFor

www.twitter.com/StevenKThomas

Post #: 18
RE: Jurassic Park - 10/10/2013 1:25:56 AM   
CriticNumberOne

5 star film improved in IMAX,well worth a relook.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to StevenKThomas)
Post #: 19
Where's Dredd? - 26/10/2013 5:27:23 PM   
Belisarius0365

Why the guy who wrote Dredd classic 'The Cursed Earth' hasn't sued Michael Crichton for stealing his Dino-theme Park idea, I'll never know. It's still a classic in it's own right, though.

Post #: 20
Great then, pants now. - 4/11/2013 2:25:16 PM   
Azzurro06

Sorry this movie, unlike Jaws, has not survived the test of time well. It can't use its CGI to wow anymore as it has been outdone by countless other films in that department, so its left down to its script, characters and general quality. It doesn't score well in any of these departments, and unlike Jaws, you don't feel there is any real danger to the main characters, as its quite obvious that only "redshirts" are gonna get meet their maker in this movie. I find this a total trial to watch these days and am forced to give it a 1.

Post #: 21
RE: Great then, pants now. - 31/12/2013 11:58:14 AM   
chang

A very welcome memo to Hollywood that blockbusters don't have to be stupid.

(in reply to Azzurro06)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Jurassic Park Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI