Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Poor

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Poor Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Poor - 3/9/2013 10:29:05 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: film man aidy

I don't get all the negativity for this. Just caught it and I thought it was great! Some great visuals, original story telling, a gritty hard edge(god, does Damon's character go through it!), a superb bad guy in Sharlto Copley, and no 3-D - for a change. The shakey cam work didn't bother me in the slightest. in fact I though it added to it, unlike in Man of Steel. A relatively tepid US box office seems a bit of a shame to me. It just means that less studios will invest in riskier projects such as this in the future.

I went in pretty open minded, and came out very pleasantly surprised. That makes a change from going off to see the likes of Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, The World's End, and Only God Forgives, and not being particularly impressed.My film of the year(so far).

This was one of the main problems I thought, there was absolutely NOTHING risky about this.
It was so safe, simplistic, even derivative that I felt like I'd seen much of the same stuff before and knew more or less exactly where it was going!
Nothing stood out as memorable, except the look of the technology. I really wanted to love this.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 31
RE: Poor - 3/9/2013 10:53:54 AM   
film man aidy

But that's where I must disagree. It was ABSOLUTELY risky in terms of a studio allocating quite a sizeable budget to something that was original material, not a remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, comic book based or part of any on going franchise. Anyway, more of this sort of thing and i'll be a happy 'Chappie' (pun intended)

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 32
RE: Poor - 3/9/2013 1:15:26 PM   
Vitamin F

Yep, it's a poor state of affairs when something that isn't a sequel or remake etc is classed as risky!

(And let's not ignore the fact that the studio did have the directors rather exceptional previous offering to gauge their 'risk' against...)

I agree more of this sort of thing, just put some more meat on it's CGI bones please!

< Message edited by Vitamin F -- 3/9/2013 1:17:24 PM >

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 33
What a looker! - 6/9/2013 8:39:54 AM   
ppointin

Got to say that my first impressions once seen was that it looked great. Effects were "real". Liked the plot - no problem with jodies accent at all - Sharlto was OTT but isn't every villain now trying to out do Heath and Javier? Only query was that the impression and scale impled huge but the actual Elysium couldn't handle the population numbers of healty people no matter what. Needed a couple of the floaters out there for "realism" for me. But would recomend it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
RE: What a looker! - 6/9/2013 11:35:16 PM   
jrewing1000

"District 9, District 9, District 9!". Jesus can people stop going on about District 9? He's made that already, drop it. Who cares about District 9??? Newsflash. This is a DIFFERENT movie.

This film blew me away. Blomkamp is hands down the best action vfx effects director working today. He''s everything Peter Jackson wants to be. Most fun I've had in the cinema in a LONG time. Yes the story isn't the most complex. Yes the characters are simple. But holy crap, this is a fun film. Beautiful work Mr Blomkamp. I can't wait to see what you do next.

(in reply to ppointin)
Post #: 35
WATCHABLE..... - 7/9/2013 1:48:24 PM   
ROTGUT

Can’t help feeling that Elysium would have been a much more entertaining film frolic had a younger Arnold Schwarzenegger been headlining, because the plot does seem to be very much in the vein of his old knuckle headed classic TOTAL RECALL. Jodie Foster is wasted in a regular cookie cutter chief villain part - but Sharlto Copley’s exo-suit psycho gives good value for money as the unstoppable terminator like nemesis. The ending doesn’t make much sense though – SPOILERS ; if the great unwashed masses all suddenly have instant access to free hi tech medical care which would keep them all alive - wouldn’t that also mean an exponential increase in an already vastly overpopulated earth, which in turn would mean depleted natural resources, job shortages, food shortages, a bigger carbon footprint…. etc, etc? The whole human race would effectively be doomed. THREE STARS

Post #: 36
RE: WATCHABLE..... - 7/9/2013 5:56:48 PM   
jrewing1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: ROTGUT

Can’t help feeling that Elysium would have been a much more entertaining film frolic had a younger Arnold Schwarzenegger been headlining, because the plot does seem to be very much in the vein of his old knuckle headed classic TOTAL RECALL.

Absolutely spot on comparison. I thoroughly enjoyed Elysium in exactly the same way that I thoroughly enjoyed Total Recall. It's silly cartoon fun, but done with real heart and inventiveness, and not meant to be taken too seriously. (I do think this is the flaw with many modern day movies, they present themselves with far too much seriousness). I always loved Paul Verhoven films because it was fun to see what he would come up with next, what ideas he'd try and express using special effects and props etc. I feel this same cinematic thrill with Neil Blomkamp. His creativity and inventiveness is what sets him apart from most if not all other visual effects directors.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 7/9/2013 5:57:22 PM >

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 37
My shit review of Elysium - 9/9/2013 7:25:55 PM   
putthatcookiedown

According to Sharlto Copley, it is inadvisable to fight a man once his beard reaches a certain length and density as that man is most likely crazy and/or dangerous. This observation has been put to great use for his devastating villain Kruger. Attention to the details makes the world of Elysium, second feature from District 9’s Neil Blomkamp, an extremely engaging one.

Set in the year 2154, ‘Elysium’ depicts a future in which the social elite have fled to an artificial ‘habitat’ which orbits the Earth. Meanwhile the over-crowded planet wallows in squalor and disease. After an incident at work man of the hour Max (Matt Damon) is forced to return to his criminal past and reach Elysium, where every household has a ‘heal everything’ machine that can fix his radiation. Politicians, robots and relentless militia must be overcome if Max is to get to the station in the sky- which looks suspiciously like the ring worlds of Halo, a game series that Blomkamp was planning to adapt.

In terms of capturing his vision, Blomkamp has done an impeccable job. The station of Elysium is sleek, beautifully designed and rendered, and Chopin and Vivaldi permeate the atmosphere. This serves as stark contrast to the festering slums of L.A, where tattooed residents spend all day louting and blaring dubstep-metal-hip hop which appears to be a mainstay in 2154. Caffeine is still the drug of choice though, and based on the cars the only DVD in existence is Jason Statham’s ‘Death Race’.

As expected, the action is superb. Blomkamp’s decision to focus on the futuristic weaponry mechanics makes you want to sprint to his house, high five and drink whiskey. Character development takes a back-seat to the gun play and space stuff. Matt Damon’s Max is likable yet simplistic. Bureaucrat bad guys John Carlyle (William Fichtner) and Delacourt (Jodie) Foster make bad guy decisions which lack their intended impact. Exception to this list is the terrifying Kruger. Not for a long time has there been a villain so threatening. Sharlto Copley has created something memorable with his performance; the facial hair and the joyous killing are violating.

If there are downfalls to this film they are plot-centric. Irritatingly neat is a good way to describe it; Max has just five days to live and his accident occurs at the same time as a political coup. He then bumps into his long lost childhood friend Frey (Alice Braga) who needs to get to Elysium since she happens to have a sick daughter with a similarly limited amount of time to live. On reflection the lore surrounding Elysium fails too. For example, if it were the only place for a person to heal themselves of all ailments then there would be a mass exodus and not just a few shuttles a week from Los Angeles.

Elysium’s sci-fi action is remarkable, the shiny space world and dirty ghettoes of Earth highly immersive. Due to weak characters and a cheesy romantic side line it falls short of perfect. This should definitely be seen on a cinema screen and will leave you excited for whatever Blomkamp is going to do next. Be warned; if you are expecting a whole f’k load of f’kn prawns you will be disappointed. There is some solid projectile vomiting though, in case you enjoyed that from District 9.

4/5

(in reply to wincryw)
Post #: 38
bit of a let down - 12/9/2013 10:42:25 PM   
tysmuse

A mate of mine called this one of the films of the year... err, what!? It's OK, and that's it.

Post #: 39
RE: bit of a let down - 22/9/2013 10:28:42 PM   
Cool Breeze

Finally got round to watching this and its a solidly entertaining sci-fi action film but is rather forgettable.

Terrific fx and action ( didnt mind the shakey cam here really, i could still tell what was going on ) and the most of the cast give good perfromances.Surprisingly, Jodie Foster, a usually terrific actress is very poor in this and her accent sounded pretty rubbish.

3 stars.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 40
RE: bit of a let down - 23/9/2013 11:15:14 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Finally got round to watching this and its a solidly entertaining sci-fi action film but is rather forgettable.

Terrific fx and action ( didnt mind the shakey cam here really, i could still tell what was going on ) and the most of the cast give good perfromances.Surprisingly, Jodie Foster, a usually terrific actress is very poor in this and her accent sounded pretty rubbish.

3 stars.

This was the one thing I would say was truly poor about the film. It was just bizarre, and wasn't until I read some things online and heard Kermode's review that I realised there was talk of her having been dubbed. What the shit did she sound like originally if that's what they went with?!

Other than that, Elysium wasn't as sharp as D9 but it was still damn fine sci-fi in an age when the term is being diluted by fantasy films. So it was probably three stars in terms of execution but the ambition earns it additional kudos.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 41
RE: bit of a let down - 23/9/2013 2:34:36 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

3 stars.

This was the one thing I would say was truly poor about the film. It was just bizarre, and wasn't until I read some things online and heard Kermode's review that I realised there was talk of her having been dubbed. What the shit did she sound like originally if that's what they went with?!

Other than that, Elysium wasn't as sharp as D9 but it was still damn fine sci-fi in an age when the term is being diluted by fantasy films. So it was probably three stars in terms of execution but the ambition earns it additional kudos.

It was the kind of role that would have been best suited to the likes of Helen Mirren or Judi Dench.Maybe Foster used her usual accent while filming but some suit decided '' We should make her sound english because everyone knows that villains sound more evil with an english accent ''.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 42
RE: bit of a let down - 23/9/2013 2:52:11 PM   
FoximusPrime

I wondered if she went full Clouseau in the role as her character was French or something wasn't she?

She certainly didn't sound English (except occasionally).

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 43
RE: Elysium - 27/9/2013 2:39:43 PM   
BigScreenBullfrog

I agree that it's probably the best of its type this year, After Earth and Oblivion being the other two.
Personally I loved the film, it cemented Blomkamp as one to watch whenever I see his name in lights. Also, whilst Matt Damon's performance was good, I thought Sharlto Copley really stole the show in Elysium, very impressed with his performance here.

I'd definitely recommend this film for sci-fi fans and actions fans alike.

Edit - see other post

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/9/2013 6:21:41 PM >

Post #: 44
RE: Elysium - 2/10/2013 8:24:21 AM   
Hood_Man

Re: Jodie Foster's voice, it seemed off the first time I saw it a few weeks ago, but when I saw it the other day I was shocked at how bad the dubbing actually was. Sometimes it's barely even in sync.

(in reply to BigScreenBullfrog)
Post #: 45
RE: Elysium - 10/10/2013 1:53:17 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Excellent film,good addition to the sci-fi family.
Damon is decent.Copley is excellent(not a prawn in sight)
The whole thing works.Agree with the above,decent original material.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 46
RE: Elysium - 4/12/2013 12:15:15 AM   
shool

Very good movie. Sadly never reaches the dizzy heights of District 9, but that is a masterpiece so was always going to be a struggle.

Copley was the standout from the film, what a great character and performance.

4 Stars

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 47
Brilliant - 30/12/2013 11:18:30 AM   
Hillsman

My friend and I were blown away by this. It paints a fairly horrifying vision of the future, which disturbingly, isn't that far away from where we are now. What action there is, is fairly satisfying and the film looks and sounds great overall. Excitement builds as each of the protagonists start to cross paths, while the ending isn't exactly Hollywood. It sure was better than Oblivion!!

Post #: 48
Why no dogs? - 31/12/2013 1:38:41 AM   
RLTShirley

There are litterally NO dogs in this movie. I found this very upsetting. I dont think i have ever seen a movie with no dogs in it before and it really distracted me from the plot.I dont know if the director is just predjudice aginst dogs but i think its a real shame that in this day and age hollywood can still make dogless movies.I really think the addition of at least one dog would have made this movie much better, i mean they could have had a dog that like solves crimes or something or one that can talk and does all the computer hacking. As it is it was a fairly mediocre movie any way but to have absolutley no dogs and not even mention a dog or have a flash back with some dogs in it is just outragous. I just hope they rectify this in the sequel and maybe have the guy get rescued by an alsation or something like just before he drowns or something like that. Also if they put a dog in the next one it shouldnt be a CGI dog and it should wear a hat.

Post #: 49
RE: Elysium - 31/12/2013 9:35:01 AM   
chang

The occasionally interesting script is bludgeoned by its heavy-handed political pandering.

(in reply to wincryw)
Post #: 50
RE: Elysium - 31/12/2013 9:22:57 PM   
RLTShirley

yeah! plus no dogs

(in reply to chang)
Post #: 51
RE: Why no dogs? - 1/1/2014 10:52:52 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: RLTShirley

There are litterally NO dogs in this movie. I found this very upsetting. I dont think i have ever seen a movie with no dogs in it before and it really distracted me from the plot.I dont know if the director is just predjudice aginst dogs but i think its a real shame that in this day and age hollywood can still make dogless movies.I really think the addition of at least one dog would have made this movie much better, i mean they could have had a dog that like solves crimes or something or one that can talk and does all the computer hacking. As it is it was a fairly mediocre movie any way but to have absolutley no dogs and not even mention a dog or have a flash back with some dogs in it is just outragous. I just hope they rectify this in the sequel and maybe have the guy get rescued by an alsation or something like just before he drowns or something like that. Also if they put a dog in the next one it shouldnt be a CGI dog and it should wear a hat.

Even though you are clearly not being serious, i need to point out that there is indeed a dog in the movie. When Damon returns back to his home at one point, we see a dog barking under a fence, amongst shots of children playing in the filth etc.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to RLTShirley)
Post #: 52
RE: bit of a let down - 1/1/2014 11:05:56 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

I wondered if she went full Clouseau in the role as her character was French or something wasn't she?

She certainly didn't sound English (except occasionally).

this. I think they filmed it with her having a strong French accent, the character is clearly intended to be French. I guess it was absolutely rubbish and they got her to re-record her dialogue, dialling back the accent a lot, making it sound more British with a bit of French. We will probably never know as the film makers are highly unlikely to come out and slate Fosters original performance.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 53
RE: Why no dogs? - 1/1/2014 12:15:41 PM   
RLTShirley

I take it all back

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 54
Proves What Blomkamp Can Do - 14/1/2014 9:35:10 AM   
Keegan Gess

District 9 was one small, astonishing step for Blomkamp, Elysium is a bigger, ambitous step. When Blomkamp poked our minds with his incredible debut, most would almost never believe he could top that. For the time being, that's true as unfortunetly Elysium does not match up to it's predecesor. There is still a conterversial theme through-out, and a story that proves Neill Blomkamp is to be taken seriously.

However the film is let down by two factors: A rush in direction, and acting that - with it's strong cast - should be top notch. Matt Damon is usual, nothing exciting going on in him, William Fichtner has a robotic unrealistic tone to his character and pretty much everyone else is a let down. Jodie Foster is the supreme winner however, the first film where she dies in proves to be one of her greats. Sharlto Copley is brilliant too however it's a shame he is given over used, cliche dialogue.

The story is original and thought provoking, the special effects mind blowing, and very very violent. A grenade blows up in Copley's mouth yet he doesn't die, Foster then get's her neck stabbed by Copley's character who again should be dead, and some sucker gets blown to pieces - again by Copley's character (but before he should be dead). Executed perfectly though by Blomkamp, a trate which he has definitely improved since his debut.

Blomkamp released this film in an era of blockbusters and it is incredibly ambitous of him to release a stand out film amid the Hollywood giants. Perhaps it's been judged too poorly. There is a lot of things to both love and hate in this film, but the excellent creativity and story telling is spectacular. Sure it's not as good as what it could be, but if Blomkamp learns from his mistakes here, we are potentially looking at one of the best sci-fi films ever to be made in the next few years.

An ambitous and mind-poking experience, that does not deliver what it could. Nevertheless it is a film you must watch, as Blomkamps creativity shi

Post #: 55
Proves What Blomkamp Can Do - 14/1/2014 9:35:12 AM   
Keegan Gess

District 9 was one small, astonishing step for Blomkamp, Elysium is a bigger, ambitous step. When Blomkamp poked our minds with his incredible debut, most would almost never believe he could top that. For the time being, that's true as unfortunetly Elysium does not match up to it's predecesor. There is still a conterversial theme through-out, and a story that proves Neill Blomkamp is to be taken seriously.

However the film is let down by two factors: A rush in direction, and acting that - with it's strong cast - should be top notch. Matt Damon is usual, nothing exciting going on in him, William Fichtner has a robotic unrealistic tone to his character and pretty much everyone else is a let down. Jodie Foster is the supreme winner however, the first film where she dies in proves to be one of her greats. Sharlto Copley is brilliant too however it's a shame he is given over used, cliche dialogue.

The story is original and thought provoking, the special effects mind blowing, and very very violent. A grenade blows up in Copley's mouth yet he doesn't die, Foster then get's her neck stabbed by Copley's character who again should be dead, and some sucker gets blown to pieces - again by Copley's character (but before he should be dead). Executed perfectly though by Blomkamp, a trate which he has definitely improved since his debut.

Blomkamp released this film in an era of blockbusters and it is incredibly ambitous of him to release a stand out film amid the Hollywood giants. Perhaps it's been judged too poorly. There is a lot of things to both love and hate in this film, but the excellent creativity and story telling is spectacular. Sure it's not as good as what it could be, but if Blomkamp learns from his mistakes here, we are potentially looking at one of the best sci-fi films ever to be made in the next few years.

An ambitous and mind-poking experience, that does not deliver what it could. Nevertheless it is a film you must watch, as Blomkamps creativity shi

Post #: 56
Errr no - 23/1/2014 12:55:16 AM   
dfooster

I found district 9 overrated and cold and this is no different. I didn't care for any of the charCters and the bad guys South African accent nearly derailed the movie entirely for me. Some nice effects, elsyium looked good even if it was ripped from mass effect but I probably won't remember this one tomorrow morning.

Post #: 57
- 28/3/2014 8:51:02 PM   
danfacey711

Even though at times, I found this film a little...'off' (Jodie Foster's voice - poor dubbing in places - and her accent as a whole was a little annoying, as well as a flow of the storyline) this was still a feat of a film with an original idea that was shot and filmed in a pleasing way. Fun to watch but no District 9

Post #: 58
RE: Poor - 11/5/2014 10:09:29 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

Despite the high production values this is just an ok action film - yes, expectation was high following District 9, but even ignoring that gem, Elysium has such a simplistic plot, simplistic dialogue and a general lack of any depth whatsoever that it all feels a little hollow and rushed.

It's watchable but entirely forgettable (I seem to think/write this a lot these days, especially regarding scifi) and Copley is wasted on the bad-guy role for the most part. Elysium is beatifully rendered but I was hoping for so much more from the film - there's nothing that comes anywhere close to the emotion levels created in District 9.

Just watched this for a second time and found it much more enjoyable than I obviously did the first time^^

I guess going in with much lower expectation makes a big difference indeed - all the flaws are still there but as a no-brainer visual feast it was pretty effective and quite fun. Say, on a par with Oblivion or Dredd...simple but entertaining. It's also got some of the best CGI in ages, subtle and less cartoony than most. Glad I gave it another shot.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Poor Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI