Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Under The Bus?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Under The Bus? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Under Th... - 7/8/2013 7:31:45 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I've just noticed (thanks to rgirvan44) that Disney have done to their version of The Lone Ranger what they did to John Carter last year and declared it a massive financial loss whilst it's still in release.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23598825

Does this not seem completely strange and pointless? No other studio seems to do this, even if they suspect something is going to tank. And it does appear to be a new thing - Disney never went on about their catastroflops in previous years. Interested in people's thoughts on this one.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 1
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 7/8/2013 10:44:20 PM   
galvatron

It looks like The Lone Ranger is going to be one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. It does look awful though...

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 2
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 7/8/2013 10:57:06 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

You just know Donovan Kurtwood's gonna like it.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 3
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 9:41:07 AM   
Platter

I heard that the guy in charge who green lit both of those movies was fired. It could be studio politics were the new guard smear the old guard by clearly pointing out how shit they were. They will then look great in comparison when their movies only bomb half as much.

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 4
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 10:00:05 AM   
AxlReznor

Cracked has been pointing out for a while that budgets keep on inflating at around the same rate that people are stopping going to the cinema, so more and more money is going to be lost, until eventually the studio's will have to stop making blockbusters for a while or go out of business.
They're pointing to 2015 as the year that (whereas the line-up of blockbusters may look impressive today) will eventually break the camel's back.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 5
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 10:28:24 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

I heard that the guy in charge who green lit both of those movies was fired.

And they'll probably hire someone who will greenlight more mega budget crap no-one will want to see, and they'll shell out an insane amount of money to promote the thing.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 6
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 10:35:30 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platter

I heard that the guy in charge who green lit both of those movies was fired.

And they'll probably hire someone who will greenlight more mega budget crap no-one will want to see, and they'll shell out an insane amount of money to promote the thing.

Of course... they forgot that the success of Pirates Of The Caribbean was a happy accident (that literally no one saw coming) and are desperately trying to find something else to apply the same formula to.
I'm sure if they didn't try to make Prince Of Persia or The Lone Ranger into the next Pirates Of The Caribbean they'd be much better movies (because the tone of those films really don't fit with ancient Persia or the Old West as they do the Caribbean), and people may have been more interested in seeing them. But no! This worked... by accident, with one franchise. Let's repeat it with everything until we realise lightning doesn't strike twice and find something else to rip off!

(Having said all that, I didn't find Prince Of Persia to be a bad movie... but it could have been a lot better).

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 7
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 10:38:27 AM   
MonsterCat

Studios really need to diversify their output.

Comic book films, reboots and sequels are fine in theory but we need more than that. More original films, please.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 8/8/2013 10:39:29 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 8
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 10:42:33 AM   
AxlReznor

I'm not one to complain about comic book movies and sequels, because some of my favourite movies fall under those brackets... and reboots, too, although only Batman and Spider-Man have rebooted in a way that I enjoyed.

But yeah... it would be nice for other things to get a look in. That's why I'm glad that I live in a world where Inception and Cloud Atlas can be made. Even if no bugger saw Cloud Atlas.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 10:55:25 AM   
UTB

I wonder if they're trying to save face by admitting defeat before it is inevitably pointed out to them.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 10
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 12:16:36 PM   
sandy666

Does this not seem completely strange and pointless?

It's because Disney is a PLC. As such it has to make announcements about likely losses within a strictly regulated time frame so that potential Shareholders are informed. If Disney did not do so, then they could be sued and/or face criminal proceedings. The announcements are more to do with the rules of the stock market, which are quite strict on these kind of things.

If a company owning a gold mine found that the mine only contained half as much gold as it previously thought, then it is obliged to tell the market as soon as possible. It is the similar case for PLCs. If the profits, or potential return, is going to be affected in some drastic manner, then the company is obliged to tell the market, so that the stock market price can be adjusted accordingly.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 11
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 2:00:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Damn straight!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 12
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 2:42:05 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Damn straight!

You seen it?
My interest in the film,before the reviews,may have been more positive if I didn't feel like I was watching Johnny Depp do the same unfortunate schtick that has accompanied him in most recent "Blockbusters".

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 13
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 5:03:59 PM   
Whistler

Well Empire seemed to enjoy The Lone Ranger, but the 149 minute running time really puts me off. It's going to take a miracle for it to be worth two and a half hours of my time...

Post #: 14
RE: Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Unde... - 8/8/2013 7:15:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Damn straight!

You seen it?
My interest in the film,before the reviews,may have been more positive if I didn't feel like I was watching Johnny Depp do the same unfortunate schtick that has accompanied him in most recent "Blockbusters".

Not yet mate, hopefully this weekend. I think the trailer looks great though, despite the usual Jonny depp routine

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Why Do Disney Keep Throwing Their Blockbusters Under The Bus? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI