Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: "Seasoned" fans

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: "Seasoned" fans Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Seasoned" fans - 7/8/2013 7:38:32 PM   
garvielloken

I would consider myself a seasoned horror fan and I don't find a lot of modern horror very scary, but there are still a few films that scared the shit out of me in the last few years. I was freaked out of my mind the first time I watched Inland Empire alone in the dark at 3 am and it still scares me every time I see it.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 31
RE: "Seasoned" fans - 7/8/2013 7:38:52 PM   
Whistler

We're just on completely opposite ends of the spectrum, CB. I enjoy watching slasher movies (like The Strangers) but they generally don't scare me at all, even though I know they could happen. Demons and ghosts, on the other hand, scare the crap out of me, not because I believe in them, I just think the idea of them is terrifying. After Paranormal Activity all I could think about was some demon walking along the hallway towards my room. I knew it wasn't actually going to happen, but the image was enough to frighten me awake.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 7/8/2013 7:42:54 PM >

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 32
RE: "Seasoned" fans - 13/8/2013 3:11:44 PM   
scary_ice

I was pretty much a scaredy-cat when I was a kid and never watched any horrors I shouldn't have been watching. I suppose my encounters with horror as a kid were with movies like Gremlins and Ghostbusters! Parts of the Indiana Jones movies also scared me as a kid but I think that was the same with most kids wasn't it?

I saw Alien on telly one night (after my Dad said it was one of his favourite films) and was surprised how much I loved it, and so the walls began to come down a bit. Also the X-Files started around that time and I was more of a sci-fi fan so I was addicted and of course a lot of episodes were more supernatural based and I found myself enjoying them too.

So gradually I have become a fan but I prefer movies that rely on the more psychological dimension and trying to unsettle and unnerve and audience rather than some gory slasher or a jumpy boo-fest. So I do get nervous and uneasy when watching horror movies but most of them don't linger in the mind for long except stuff like the original Ring, which I saw on Channel 4 one night and found genuinely creepy and disturbing. Or pretty much any David Lynch who is a master of tension and unease in my opinion.

I have to be honest though, I find the whole horror "scene" a bit strange - you know the whole Frightfest and Horror Channel crowd who seem to spend their days watching every single shitty nasty half-assed horror movie ever made. Sorry if I'm offending anyone reading this, I don't mean to, a lot of it is that I just wouldn't be able to handle that much gore and horror clichés relentlessly like that. I find modern horrors tendency to rely on OTT brutality, trying to outdo each other with violence and nihilism, pretty disappointing, boring, and to be honest juvenile for the most part.

So yeah, like somebody said on the comments section of the Youtube video of Kermodes review, there are more ways to disturb someone than to surprise someone with a jumpy-shock so those movies are usually more effective. I'll leave it at that for now as I've rambled on for long enough.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: "Seasoned" fans Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI