Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Film analogies by decade

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Film analogies by decade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Film analogies by decade - 3/8/2013 9:03:32 PM   
Padraic Coffey

A fun activity. Take a film, and its decade, then choose a film which is equivalent to a different decade.

For example...

Trainspotting is to the 1990s what A Clockwork Orange is to the 1970s.

[This is just an example. Obviously both films are different, but share virtuoso filmmaking styles, candid voiceover narration, a depiction of a group of young law-breakers and are adapted from cult British novels]

Another example...

Rushmore is to the 1990s what Harold and Maude is to the 1970s.

[Both are films about young, preppy males, infatuated with older women. They both have a quirky, offbeat sensibility and excellent soundtracks, featuring Cat Stevens.]

Any examples you can think of?
Post #: 1
RE: Film analogies by decade - 3/8/2013 10:42:41 PM   
Mr Gittes

There Will Be Blood to the 00s what Citizen Kane was to the 40s.

That's the first that springs to mind anyway.

(in reply to Padraic Coffey)
Post #: 2
RE: Film analogies by decade - 4/8/2013 10:46:52 PM   
Mr Gittes

You could say that The Dark Knight is to the 00s what Dirty Harry is to the 70s.

An iconic dark vigilante faces a vicious psychopath who proves to be his greatest enemy, and who shockingly (and, to a certain extent, indirectly) murders a woman our hero/anti-hero was too late to save. By the end, the villain has had such an impact that when the hero "wins" he also throws in the towel (for a while at least)...and he also now has an unsavoury reputation with the public.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 3
RE: Film analogies by decade - 5/8/2013 11:02:11 AM   
jonson

Sharknado is to the 10's that Jaws was to the 70's

Awesome shark films which will change the way the industry makes and promotes films, both featuring state of the art effects (for their time) superb script and score and immense acting talent.
No, seriously.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 4
RE: Film analogies by decade - 9/8/2013 9:20:55 PM   
Mr Gittes

Man-oh-man, johnson XD
Some things aren't worth kidding about

Anyway I think I've got another one - The Matrix was to the 90s what Star Wars was to the 70s.

Both hugely successful and monumental sci-fi/action* thrill-rides with revolutionary special effects, the wise mentor figure (Morpheus/Obi-Wan), the fan-worshipped feisty fox (Trinity/Princess Leia), the cold and iconic villain played by a masterful actor with an unforgettable voice (Agent Smith/Darth Vader), and most of all the main character who starts his journey as an unsatisfied nobody and ends as a celebrated hero. Both movies are brimming with mythology too.

Also the sequels to The Matrix are arguably as disappointing as the prequels to Star Wars, the directors for both had a somewhat-disappointing output after the success from their mega-hit, and I guess you could say Cypher is kind of the Han Solo figure here if you took away the heart-of-gold element to the latter.

I know many consider Jurassic Park to be the Star Wars of the 90s, and in spirit they're probably right (The Matrix is rated 15 after all). Plus its effects were more groundbreaking than The Matrix (and have aged better, funnily enough). But when you look closer at the story and characters, you gotta admit there are much more Star Wars similarites in the Wachowskis' masterpiece than Spielberg's.

*I know Star Wars is considered to be more in the fantasy genre, but let me call it "sci-fi" just this once for the sake of argument. I mean, it's not too far a stretch, is it? It's like how I consider The Godfather a drama, but if someone were to call it a "gangster movie", well I'm hardly gonna throw a hissy fit, am I?

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 9/8/2013 9:22:13 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5
RE: Film analogies by decade - 24/8/2013 10:10:29 PM   
sandy666

The Beach is the 00's equivalent of Easy Rider.

Both feature travel & youth culture, drugs and an attempt to find Utpoia.

The journeys are different, but the objectives are the same.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Film analogies by decade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI