Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Career Killing Roles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Career Killing Roles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Career Killing Roles - 1/8/2013 8:00:03 PM   
will1000

I was thinking today about stars who you were sure were the next big thing but are now doing straight to DVD releases or completely disappeared into obscurity thanks to a crap film or a crap role.

I was thinking that Vin Diesel isn't the action hero superstar I was sure he should be thanks in part too The Pacifier. I know he's the star of the Fast Furious films and has a new Riddick coming out, but they are both franchises that he exec produces. He hasn't done much outside of them.

So what other star killing roles/films are there and who are the victims?!
Post #: 1
RE: Career Killing Roles - 1/8/2013 8:12:32 PM   
The Waco Kid

Nicolas Cage for Wicker Man or Ghost Rider.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 2
RE: Career Killing Roles - 1/8/2013 8:51:26 PM   
Mister Coe

Where do you begin with roles that Mickey Rourke took in the early 90's...

Say what now?

(in reply to The Waco Kid)
Post #: 3
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 9:48:22 AM   
Drew_231

I don't think there is a better example than Ahmed Best as Jar Jar

Stone dead

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 4
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 9:52:36 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Waco Kid

Except, somehow, he keeps on getting work.

(in reply to The Waco Kid)
Post #: 5
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 10:33:08 AM   
spark1

stallone trying to do comedy in the 90s.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 6
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 10:49:27 AM   
Dannybohy

Superman!
Brandon
Reeves
and no doubt Cavill!

its cursed I tell thee!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 7
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 11:07:03 AM   
sharkboy

Brandon Routh I'll give you, but if Cavill's career could survive The Immortals, then Man of Steel shouldn't cause him any sleepless nights! Besides, he's already got two more potential blockbusters in production apart from the inevitable MoS2

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 8
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 12:32:45 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

It's not so much that he keeps on getting work, it's that, like Christopher Walken, he still is considered as a relatively major draw and rarely says no. Although in Cage's case it's obviously cos he still owes trillions of dollars in taxes and therefore cannot afford to be choosy, whilst Walken just likes to keep busy and enjoys being on set, regardless of how bad the film he's in is.

I'm not quite sure which, if either, is worse - working because you have no choice, or working cos you don't really give a shit...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 9
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 1:11:52 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Brandon Routh I'll give you, but if Cavill's career could survive The Immortals, then Man of Steel shouldn't cause him any sleepless nights! Besides, he's already got two more potential blockbusters in production apart from the inevitable MoS2

Reeves career was effectively killed by Superman, as much as he was outstanding. As far as I can see there is no MoS2 , looking a lot more like a 50/50 Superman/Batman. I will be surprised if called MoS2. The whole throwing in Batman feels like a vote of no confidence in this current Superman incarnation. I am looking forward to a new Batman and would like to think we will get a whole new version, but I feel general lack of thought and originality in movies these days will see us with some bloke shoehorned into the last Bale Batsuit and told to perfect his growly voice.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 2/8/2013 1:12:25 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 1:20:25 PM   
AxlReznor

Are you speaking of George Reeves who couldn't get any work whatsoever after playing Superman, would have children punching him so they could boast to their friends that they'd punched Superman, and eventually committed suicide, or Christopher Reeve (no 's' on the end), who did at least get some film roles after Superman, even if they were mostly underwhelming, and the job people claim the "curse" really did on him was more to do with the latter years of his life?

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 11
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 9:37:12 PM   
will1000

I'd also like to add Chris O'Donnell and his role in the Joel Schmacher Batman films. Those films not only killed a franchise but also screen careers! Val Kilmer hasn't done much of note either except Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! and eating pies.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 12
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 9:41:28 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I'd also like to add Chris O'Donnell and his role in the Joel Schmacher Batman films. Those films not only killed a franchise but also screen careers! Val Kilmer hasn't done much of note either except Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! and eating pies.

To be fair to Val Kilmer, he was really good in the last episode of LIFE'S TOO SHORT... I suspect he might have been on 8.00 an hour and a free run at the buffet,but still...

Say what now?

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 13
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 9:51:34 PM   
horribleives

quote:

I'd also like to add Chris O'Donnell and his role in the Joel Schmacher Batman films. Those films not only killed a franchise but also screen careers!

Alicia Silverstone never quite got her Clueless-era mojo back either. The most memorable thing she's done in recent years is chew her bairn's food.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 14
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 10:39:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I'd also like to add Chris O'Donnell and his role in the Joel Schmacher Batman films. Those films not only killed a franchise but also screen careers!

Except Clooney, he's done ok for himself

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 15
RE: Career Killing Roles - 2/8/2013 11:28:21 PM   
Mister Coe

Not exactly a film role, but I seem to remember that Tara Reid was once considered a hot, up-and-coming young actress with potential (she was pretty good in Body Shots), but then blew it by hosting some spring-break reality show where she got so fucked-up on camera that nobody took her seriously again..?

Say what now?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16
RE: Career Killing Roles - 7/8/2013 9:26:06 AM   
squeezyrider

Isn't the Tara Reid thing more that that's what she's like all the time.

I think The American Pie series was a career killer for nearly everyone involved.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17
RE: Career Killing Roles - 7/8/2013 10:10:48 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: squeezyrider

I think The American Pie series was a career killer for nearly everyone involved.

Come to think it, other than Seann William Scott, the cast haven't really done much else since, have they. Which is strange, considering the first two are really quite popular.

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 18
RE: Career Killing Roles - 7/8/2013 4:30:44 PM   
will1000

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: squeezyrider

Come to think it, other than Seann William Scott, the cast haven't really done much else since, have they. Which is strange, considering the first two are really quite popular.

If we're talking purely cinematic roles then yeah they haven't gone on to do much. However, Alyson Hannigan is in How I Met Your Mother, the new Friends/Scrubs (which for the record I don't think is at all funny and the canned laughter hurts it more)

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 19
RE: Career Killing Roles - 7/8/2013 7:13:49 PM   
Cool Breeze

Its amazing that Lindsay Lohan still gets work but i guess thats more to do with her crazy personal life rather than any particular movie role shes had.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 20
RE: Career Killing Roles - 7/8/2013 8:38:45 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

quote:

It's not so much that he keeps on getting work, it's that, like Christopher Walken, he still is considered as a relatively major draw and rarely says no. Although in Cage's case it's obviously cos he still owes trillions of dollars in taxes and therefore cannot afford to be choosy, whilst Walken just likes to keep busy and enjoys being on set, regardless of how bad the film he's in is.

I'm not quite sure which, if either, is worse - working because you have no choice, or working cos you don't really give a shit...

Oddly I was thinking about Nicolas Cage after seeing his name plastered over yet another blandly named, generic looking action/thriller DVD....maybe the likes of Face Off and Con Air brought in his descent into the sort of generic pish he churns out nowadays?

Did John Travolta pretty much blow his career (again) with Battlefield Earth? His mid-90s revival seems an awful long time ago now. Obviously he's worked since but I'm not sure anyone takes him too seriously?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 21
RE: Career Killing Roles - 7/8/2013 9:26:11 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Are you speaking of George Reeves who couldn't get any work whatsoever after playing Superman, would have children punching him so they could boast to their friends that they'd punched Superman, and eventually committed suicide, or Christopher Reeve (no 's' on the end), who did at least get some film roles after Superman, even if they were mostly underwhelming, and the job people claim the "curse" really did on him was more to do with the latter years of his life?

Christopher is great in the little seen and rather marvellous Noises Off.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 22
RE: Career Killing Roles - 8/8/2013 1:00:16 AM   
paul_lfc

Hayden Christensen or is that more a career killing performance?

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 23
RE: Career Killing Roles - 8/8/2013 12:06:22 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Christopher is great in the little seen and rather marvellous Noises Off.

Noises Off is a little gem of a movie!

I'll add Elizabeth Bearkley to the list , Showgirls turned her from the "smart one" off Saved by the Bell to a cautionary tale of how not to ditch your child star image. Only Dustin Diamond had a worse post show career.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 24
RE: Career Killing Roles - 9/8/2013 7:11:28 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Only Dustin Diamond had a worse post show career.

The horror of Saved by the Smell?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 25
RE: Career Killing Roles - 9/8/2013 9:24:55 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'll throw Waterworld into the mix, pretty much killed Costners career for a good decade.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 26
RE: Career Killing Roles - 9/8/2013 9:53:14 AM   
UTB

Apart from Tin Cup being one of the best sports movies and comedies ever...

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 27
RE: Career Killing Roles - 9/8/2013 11:47:11 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I'll throw Waterworld into the mix, pretty much killed Costners career for a good decade.

Nah, it was The Postman that did him in.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 28
RE: Career Killing Roles - 9/8/2013 10:16:26 PM   
Mister Coe

I really like WATERWORLD and THE POSTMAN... yeah, I know the general opinion of TP, but it was a big blockbuster release and if you compare it to the utter bollocking braindead CGI shitfests that are what the Hollywood studios throw out way nowadays as our designated summer entertainment, it's practically THE GODFATHER... seriously, if any one of you out there thinks that TP is worse than any of the likes of the TRANSFORMERS movies then I truly despair...

I think that what did for Costner are the rumoured reports of how difficult he became to work with...

Say what now?

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 29
RE: Career Killing Roles - 10/8/2013 10:07:42 AM   
snaze1

Seem to remember reading that playing Scorpio in Dirty Harry pretty much killed Andrew Robinson's career stone dead for about 10 years.
He played the psycopath so well people didnt want to see him for any other roles

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Career Killing Roles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI