Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Heat - 31/7/2013 5:11:50 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
"If Miss Congeniality teamed up with Bridesmaids&#... - 31/7/2013 5:11:51 PM   
loafroaster

I can't believe I'm saying this, but wasn't Miss Congeniality far from being a 'brisk, efficient, emotionally stunted workaholic'?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Heat - 1/8/2013 9:46:38 AM   
dseys

I found this was a stupid lazy comedy. Plus, it's nearly 2 hours long - far more than i can bear for this type of movie. There are a few laughs to be had, but the entire movie is silly, badly directed, and relies too heavily on rude language. I was sure Empire would give a 2-star rating, because i found it really worse than the majority of the 2-star rated comedies.

Post #: 3
RE: The Heat - 1/8/2013 6:24:08 PM   
ElephantBoy

The trailers haven't blown me away but it looks okay and I did really like Bridesmaids. Bullock gets overlooked as a comedy actress and they seem to have pretty good celmstry. Might give this a go.

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 4
RE: The Heat - 1/8/2013 11:52:23 PM   
Hood_Man

I'd just about give it 3/5, there were some big laughs in it but way too much time in between.

The chemistry was good, but as funny as McCarthy is I've got to give Bullock credit for the funniest line in the movie ("tongue in cheek").

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: The Heat - 3/8/2013 12:25:03 PM   
CRUNT

looks bollocks, and why as Sandra Bullock gone fucking about with her face for

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 6
RE: The Heat - 5/8/2013 10:10:58 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Seriously if this was 2 male characters there's no way they'd have gotten of so lightly in the reviews they've had just throwing expletives in every 5 minutes does not make it funny it just makes the writing lazy as for the way McCarthy talked to her Captain good to see B.T.T.F's Biff they'd never have gotten away with that in any form wheather in real or make beleave & the villan was that sort of an afterthought?
Pretty poor follow up to Bridesmaids 2/5

(in reply to CRUNT)
Post #: 7
RE: The Heat - 5/8/2013 2:27:30 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Seriously if this was 2 male characters there's no way they'd have gotten of so lightly in the reviews they've had just throwing expletives in every 5 minutes does not make it funny it just makes the writing lazy as for the way McCarthy talked to her Captain good to see B.T.T.F's Biff they'd never have gotten away with that in any form wheather in real or make beleave & the villan was that sort of an afterthought?

But in a way isn't it refreshing that women now get to do this kind of thing, surely it is a sign of things being more even? I actually think the opposite that it is still more accepted that men do the gross out thing and it is fine, but that women are supposed to be above that.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 8
RE: The Heat - 6/8/2013 9:36:12 AM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

But in a way isn't it refreshing that women now get to do this kind of thing, surely it is a sign of things being more even? I actually think the opposite that it is still more accepted that men do the gross out thing and it is fine, but that women are supposed to be above that.

Indeed. But a good sign doesn't mean a good movie...

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 9
RE: The Heat - 6/8/2013 12:22:51 PM   
Wild about Wilder

It wasn't so much the gross out as I really didn't think there was that much, more just the amount of swearing (in the 1st half) for no real reason plus find it hard to take McCarthy as an all out action cop & (before anyone starts on about it ) beleave me I am in no place to go on about someone elses size issues. TRUST ME!!!

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 10
RE: The Heat - 6/8/2013 5:44:24 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Indeed. But a good sign doesn't mean a good movie...

Exactly. It may pass the Bechdel test, but that doesn't make it funny.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to dseys)
Post #: 11
Review - 7/8/2013 12:01:53 PM   
mattymatt94

This website has a good review about it too

http://www.posedubai.com/entertainment/pose-screen/the-heat-movie-2013-review-dubai.html

Post #: 12
better than I expected - 8/8/2013 1:24:18 PM   
bretty

I was expecting a lazy Miss Congeniality 3 with Melissa McCarthy thrown in and this expectation was not helped by a very 70s retro opening credits. But I quite enjoyed this and would support Empire's 3 star review. McCarthy is a force of nature and works well with Bullock and it is the character interplay that saves the film I think. Yeah, not a great plot but still much to enjoy, certainly the full audience I went with laughed a fair bit.

Post #: 13
better than I expected - 8/8/2013 1:24:21 PM   
bretty

I was expecting a lazy Miss Congeniality 3 with Melissa McCarthy thrown in and this expectation was not helped by a very 70s retro opening credits. But I quite enjoyed this and would support Empire's 3 star review. McCarthy is a force of nature and works well with Bullock and it is the character interplay that saves the film I think. Yeah, not a great plot but still much to enjoy, certainly the full audience I went with laughed a fair bit.

Post #: 14
Hot enough to handle. - 11/8/2013 11:01:10 PM   
Limeylove

When advertised the promise of Bullock & McCarthy tag teaming for a comedy cop romp was too appealing to miss. There are some wonderfully well written clashes of wit and humour as well as rough and tumble. The comedy duo do not disappoint and this is one strength Bullock holds over many. While McCarthy gets the laughs, Bullock is the one that sets them up and for little credit. There are some gags that just don't make sense, some lines that don't quite hit the bullseye but this is all good fun and quite deserving of a sequel. A good take on the cop buddy franchise and poses the question of why have waited so long for a female crime fighting duo?

Post #: 15
RE: Hot enough to handle. - 18/8/2013 8:53:06 PM   
sanchia

I went on a date to this film that was a mistake as we both came out significantly underwhelmed and it overshadowed the rest of the date by both of us talking about what we disliked in this film rather than anything else. It appears that they have decided having a woman swearing all the time is humour and decided to do away with all the jokes. The growing respect and friendship between the two women fails to be realistic with an apparent change from the "I hate you" dynamic" to "you are my friend" without any real organic growth to it but rather cramming it in to fit the plot. The plot itself plays second place to the swearing and if this had been two male actors playing similar roles it would have vanished without a trace into the generic, sweary, unfunny, buddy movie category black hole.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Limeylove)
Post #: 16
poor - 25/8/2013 2:03:52 PM   
dalykid07

mccarthy really is not funny !!! way to fat to be anyway believable as a cop

Post #: 17
RE: The Heat - 31/12/2013 12:16:51 PM   
chang

The many formulas never mesh, and some formidable actors stumble trying to keep pace with its out-of-synch meters.
quote:

The Heat

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Heat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI