Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Smurfs 2 - 31/7/2013 4:22:56 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: The Smurfs 2 - 31/7/2013 4:28:47 PM   
tonethestone

although im not a massive fan of The Smurfs, its another case of a ridiculous review from Empire where they reduce the films star mark because it caters for children only, its the Smurfs, you should probably be aware of that going in and review the film purely for it being a kids film.

Nxt up.... The Descendants

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Smurfs 2 - 31/7/2013 4:34:56 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonethestone

although im not a massive fan of The Smurfs, its another case of a ridiculous review from Empire where they reduce the films star mark because it caters for children only, its the Smurfs, you should probably be aware of that going in and review the film purely for it being a kids film.

This is a ridiculous statement. How many of these kids do you think will be checking empireonline or subscribing to the mag? Sure the movie is aimed at children, but Empire is aimed at adults and so are the reviews

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to tonethestone)
Post #: 3
- 10/8/2013 6:29:56 PM   
BelfastBoy

I thought it was smurfing awful, although my kids (13, 6, 4) loved it. I'm just astonished that a small army of credited writers can come up with such tripe - I imagine it was focus-grouped to death to the point where the director should've removed his real name and called himself 'Alan Smithee' instead! For no obvious plot reason, the vast majority of the film is set in Paris (although actually mostly filmed in Montreal), and makes maximum use of typical locations - however it also conforms to the classic Hollywood stereotype of some combination of the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, the Louvre etc always being impossibly visible from every window! There's also some pretty distracting product placement for Sony and the Hotel Plaza Athenee. I hope Katy Perry is forbidden from ever doing voice over work again, it's pure stunt casting and her voice grates terribly. Also, given that the Smurfette character pretty much carries the film, she's not a good enough voice actor to take this on convincingly. As for Brendan Gleeson's contribution? Well, I hope the paycheque was hefty because he's done his career no favours! But he still doesn't act as badly as Hank Azaria as Gargamel - his cgi cat did a better job!

Any parent who has to sit through this drivel deserves my sympathy! Your kids will love it but you'll pray for a power or projector failure. It says a lot when, on reflection, the trailer for the One Direction documentary was better than Smurfs 2!

Post #: 4
RE: The Smurfs 2 - 31/12/2013 12:24:42 PM   
chang

A slight improvement on its predecessor but also the cinematic equivalent of a cynical studio executive's checklist of items that need to be included in a Smurf movie.
quote:

The Smurfs 2

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Smurfs 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI