Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you see it?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you see it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you see it? - 27/7/2013 12:16:05 AM   
Mr Grady

Quinton Cinema. Outside for 3 hours to get a good seat. Still the best cinematic experience of my life. I wish I could do it all again😃

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

Post #: 1
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 12:27:51 AM   
Hood_Man

I didn't get to see it first time as my mum thought I was too young, but I did see it in the cinema at the tail end of 2007. No DVD or BluRay or Digital anything, this was an original reel from 1993, complete with the rubbish early 90's Dolby audio graphic before the film, and various scratches/cigarette burns throughout (it even skipped a few frames at one point!).

Funnily enough, that was the greatest cinematic experience of my life

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 2
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 12:50:34 AM   
Shifty Bench

I can't remember where I saw it, to be honest. I was 16.

Jesus, I'm old.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 27/7/2013 12:51:24 AM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 12:57:25 AM   
rich

I was 7 or 8. Local Odeon at the time, it was relocated in following years. A man was eaten off of a toilet, it was glorious.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 6:41:10 AM   
DancingClown

Empire Cinema, Leicester Square - first showing at about 11 in the morning, on the very day it came out. I was sixteen and bloody excited at having just finished sitting my GCSEs and my two-week work experience. Summer holiday and great big bloody dinosaurs!

The audience was great, and there was some applause at various places, including when Gennero the lawyer got eaten. I went to see it there a further three times.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 5
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 8:49:34 AM   
NCC1701A

With my Dad to The Curzon Cinema in Loughborough I was 12 years old and it is still my favourite cinematic experience and still my favourite film of all time.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 26/10/2013 8:56:03 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 6
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 1:12:17 PM   
Darth Marenghi

First film I saw in the cinema, at the Showcase in Belle Vue.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 7
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 10:07:58 PM   
Mister Coe

The Odeon at Festival Park, Hanley.

It was about four days after it opened and I didn't think I would get in, so I went to a showing roundabout teatime and said to the ticket girl 'Are there any tickets for Jurassic Park left...?'

And she said 'yeah, loads, luv, how many do you want?'

The film blew me away and, I have to say, still does when I catch it on TV...

Say what now?

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 8
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 27/7/2013 10:34:33 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I can't remember where I saw it, to be honest. I was 16.

Jesus, I'm old.

I saw it at the ABC (now Odeon) Lothian Road in Edinburgh on, if I remember correctly, a Tuesday evening. I was 18.

I'm older.

Last saw it in IMAX 3D as part of the Edinburgh film fest. First time in the cinema since '93. It was great and the conversion was at least as good as any new post converted film.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 27/7/2013 10:36:13 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 9
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 28/7/2013 8:58:29 AM   
Whistler

Too young to see it on release but I caught it on re-release a couple of years ago, when it wasn't in 3D. It was wonderful.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 10
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 29/7/2013 11:06:18 AM   
FoximusPrime

Theatre Clwyd with my Dad. I seem to remember the walk back to the car park involved an underground walkway / enclosed corridor so I felt pretty tense, watching for raptors...

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 29/7/2013 11:40:54 AM   
grucl

Afternoon showing on opening day in a cinema in Fort Meyers, Florida.
I was there on holiday with my parents.

We went there again a few years later and sure enough I saw The Lost World at the same cinema, also on opening day...

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 12
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 29/7/2013 12:30:29 PM   
Harry Tuttle

The Plaza Cinema, Bangor.

By the end of the summer holidays it was a quid a showing and me and my mate must have watched it about 9 or 10 times in total.

20 years ago, fucking hell...

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 13
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 29/7/2013 12:40:19 PM   
jonson

Leicester Square in London. I think the missus dragged me to see it as I wasn't really that bothered. I can't even remembering seeing any trailers for the film to be honest, certainly nothing that spoilt how well they had done the dinosaurs.
And yes, it was an incredible experience, I do remember an audible shock in the screening when the first dinosaur turned up.
One of my favourite cinema experiences, although to be fair seeing Aliens when it first came out will take some beating.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 14
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 29/7/2013 4:13:41 PM   
iceman2013

First saw it on good old-fashioned VHS cassette when I was around 7 years old!

My mum made the childminder fast-forward through the 'gory' bits though so I didn't get to see the lawyer eaten off the toilet until a few years later!

Great film. Can't believe it's 20 years old now...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 15
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 29/7/2013 10:18:53 PM   
galvatron

Screen 1 at the Odeon in Newcastle, an amazing screen to see it. I remember the queue was around the corner and waited for ages with my parents and brothers to see it. I can't actually remember much about the film from that first viewing but I liked it.

(in reply to iceman2013)
Post #: 16
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 30/7/2013 10:52:57 AM   
sharkboy

Saw it at the local multiplex in Bangor (Northern Ireland, not Wales!) at a Sunday matinee. I remember that the cinema had gone to great lengths to set an atmosphere, with jungle noises and loud roaring played over the PA, camouflage netting with fake foliage draped around the lobby and the entrance to the cinema, and even large dinosaur standees strategically placed around the cinema. I remember thinking that all the talk about how the dinosaurs were going to make your jaw drop may have seemed a bit OTT before watching the movie, but I'll never forget the feeling of amazement at seeing that first dino onscreen as it stretches up to eat the highest leaves.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 17
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 30/7/2013 1:12:00 PM   
Drew_231

If I was a famous film maker, I would list seeing JP as my seminal film experience

Saw it when I was about 8 or 9, at my local movie house (which I still go to today).
I remember going with my Dad and being late, and having to park outside the shopping centre and then running across the streets to get there in time

What followed was possibly the most terrifying and exhilarating film experience I have ever had.

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 30/7/2013 1:16:52 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 30/7/2013 3:05:40 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Uxbridge Odeon.  This is the old Odeon that was before the current multiplex but after the glorious Regal cinema which was brilliant and shame it is a really naff nightclub now (1931 - 1984).   I remember there being a theme with the ice-cream ladies in jungle wear (ie khaki coloured uniforms)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 19
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 30/7/2013 3:52:26 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Saw it at the local multiplex in Bangor (Northern Ireland, not Wales!) at a Sunday matinee. I remember that the cinema had gone to great lengths to set an atmosphere, with jungle noises and loud roaring played over the PA, camouflage netting with fake foliage draped around the lobby and the entrance to the cinema, and even large dinosaur standees strategically placed around the cinema. I remember thinking that all the talk about how the dinosaurs were going to make your jaw drop may have seemed a bit OTT before watching the movie, but I'll never forget the feeling of amazement at seeing that first dino onscreen as it stretches up to eat the highest leaves.

Same place as me; my 8 year old self was in awe of all those trappings. Bangor cinema is just like that all the time now.

Incredible cinema experience. The entire audience (and I do mean everyone) jumped when the raptor snaps at Lex's leg. And that weren't in no 3D.

EDIT: I just remembered that for the Flinstones movie the following year (that's right isn't it? 1994?) the cinema did something similar, what with your foam rocks all around and staff wearing Flinstones-esque costumes.

< Message edited by jcthefirst -- 30/7/2013 3:54:12 PM >

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 30/7/2013 3:54:56 PM   
UTB

Saw it at the old Crawley cinema (which was then turned into a Bar Med and now looks like to be knocked down into homes, following the arrival of the Virgin megaplex), would have been 10 or 11. At the time I was part of a football team and there were some who got to see it early and the buzz/hype having seen it was almost as exciting as the film itself. My dad took me and it was without doubt one of the best cinema experiences I've had and will never forget.

And the film hasn't aged a bit, even with the old computers in it.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 21
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 30/7/2013 4:16:58 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst
EDIT: I just remembered that for the Flinstones movie the following year (that's right isn't it? 1994?) the cinema did something similar, what with your foam rocks all around and staff wearing Flinstones-esque costumes.

1994 is right I don't remember any specific events in my cinema for that one, I just remember an employee walking out in front and asking everyone to move down their rows to make room for more people.

I've never seen a cinema so busy, the closest I ever saw to that was Revenge of the Sith in the Swansea UCI, and even then there were a few empty seats (one grabbed by moi, directly in the centre!).

Anyway, I'm genuinely looking forward to the 3D release. Any excuse to see it again in the cinema.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 22
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 31/7/2013 8:20:48 PM   
ace14

The memories of this film have more than cinematic 'aftershocks'

My Mum and Dad had been separated for about a fortnight. My Dad had suggested we all go together 'as a family'.

We arrived in Weston-Super-Mare, travelling all the way from West Somerset, all eagerly anticipating this phenomenon that had been on Blue Peter, Newsround and even BBC Points West.

I think it was the saddest experience of my life. All I can remember thinking, despite being 9-10 years old, is how fake everything was. Not the film, but how people will lie and pretend that 'life can find a way' despite both my parents having more serious issues like them hating each other.

Sorry for the rant folks! Thank The Famous Grouse

Anyway Happy Birthday Jurassic Park

The Dredd thread is sucking my will to live

My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We'll see about that

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 23
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 31/7/2013 10:14:31 PM   
Super Hans

I saw it quite late on that summer, at the Showcase cinema in Derby. 11 years old. Still one of my favourite films - THE classic blockbuster of my generation!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 24
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 2/8/2013 4:53:49 PM   
Ref

Wanted to watch it at the cinema with my elder sister, but her friend said it would be too scary with me being 8 at the time. So my parents bought it on video when released. Seeing the diplodocus scene for the first time is one great reveal - only rivalled by Dorothy landing in Oz for childhood wonderment. Well for me anyway.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 25
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 3/8/2013 6:18:36 AM   
irons0

In the cinema when it first came out. Wasn't too long a queue if I remember rightly.

Being a bit of a special effects fan and a big fan of Ray Harryhausen, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. 20 years later and CGI in many films today doesn't look as good. Thou Dinos are a bit easier than the likes of humans to be fair.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 26
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 5/8/2013 1:05:11 PM   
BudBaxter

Opening Weekend I saw it four times:

Friday night: Empire Leicester Square
Saturday afternoon - Oxted Plaza
Saturday night - Reigate Cinema
Sunday night - Oxted Plaza

& then the following Thursday at the Crawley MGM.

Twas a good week.

(in reply to irons0)
Post #: 27
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 12/8/2013 7:36:07 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Uxbridge Odeon.  This is the old Odeon that was before the current multiplex but after the glorious Regal cinema which was brilliant and shame it is a really naff nightclub now (1931 - 1984).   I remember there being a theme with the ice-cream ladies in jungle wear (ie khaki coloured uniforms)

Ditto! I was 10 and my dad took me to go and see it....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 28
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 13/8/2013 11:47:11 AM   
Chief

I seen it for the first time about a month ago. Sitting in my living room watching it on Sky Movies. It was alright.

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 29
RE: Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you ... - 26/10/2013 12:22:58 AM   
LB

The ABC/Cannon Cinema, Brentwood, Essex (sadly no longer there). I was 13. It had the longest cinema ticket queue I had ever seen.

A few weeks later, I also saw it at The Empire, Leicester Square

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Happy 20th Birthday Jurassic Park - Where did you see it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI