Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - 26/7/2013 10:59:33 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Can I shock you... - 26/7/2013 10:59:33 AM   
pete_traynor

I like wine.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Can I shock you... - 26/7/2013 10:59:36 AM   
pete_traynor

I like wine.

Post #: 3
"clangalangalang clangalagalang.... - 26/7/2013 12:24:43 PM   
fac51thehacienda

Nobody does it better!" Cannot wait for this

Post #: 4
(so) (many) (brackets) - 26/7/2013 12:56:10 PM   
loafroaster

Can't wait for this though!

Post #: 5
Smell my cheese you Mutha !!! - 26/7/2013 1:31:35 PM   
tangerinedreams

I was worried that a big screen version of a small screen legend would dilute Partridge, but early reviews are beginning to fill me with hope.Will have a shower before and preferably after as i expect to get clammy........with laughter !

Post #: 6
RE: Smell my cheese you Mutha !!! - 26/7/2013 1:50:00 PM   
sanchia

I popped to the Norwich premier (which was not too far from where I work) and saw the great man himself. I believe this may be on my to watch list.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to tangerinedreams)
Post #: 7
Back of the net! - 26/7/2013 4:29:15 PM   
shool

So glad to see this get a good review. Flippin love Partridg and was worried it wouldnt translate to the big screen well.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 8
Alan Partridge is Siege Face - 27/7/2013 12:45:07 AM   
JJB888

This is the film I have been looking forward to more than any other in 2013. I am expecting nothing short of brilliance!

Post #: 9
Bit of a rip off... - 29/7/2013 7:10:38 AM   
turkish_187

All well and good reviving a long lost show of average. But to then blatantly rip off aspects of Airheads. Sacrilege.

Post #: 10
Bit of a rip off... - 29/7/2013 7:11:10 AM   
turkish_187

All well and good reviving a long lost show of average. But to then blatantly rip off aspects of Airheads. Sacrilege.

Post #: 11
Bit of a rip off... - 29/7/2013 7:11:41 AM   
turkish_187

Post #: 12
It's ok. - 7/8/2013 5:43:46 PM   
jrewing1000

It's ok. Funny in parts, but I'm not so sure Partridge belongs on the big screen. It's an altogether different mode. Why didn't they just put this out as a TV special?

My problem is that with Mid Morning Matters and the biography, they shifted Partridge into reality, whereas this pulls the character back into cartoon farce.

If you're a fan, there's much to enjoy (as I did), but don't expect anything unmissable.

Post #: 13
- 8/8/2013 9:12:29 AM   
Moviegeek1976

fantastic film. couldn't stop laughing.

Post #: 14
- 8/8/2013 9:12:31 AM   
Moviegeek1976

fantastic film. couldn't stop laughing.

Post #: 15
RE: Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - 8/8/2013 11:30:36 AM   
demoncleaner

I chuckled the whole way through it and can say that I enjoyed it.  But still, it's slightly disappointing as a more cosmetic, diluted character of Alan.  Hostage crisis aside you could imagine this incarnation of Alan stumbling through life in a largely benign and semi-successful fashion...which isn't really the essence of the character.  Here, Alan's worst flaw seems to be that he's merely uncool or hapless. Also with Phil Cornwell reprising his collegiate role in a deeply damaged version of the same character Alan isn't even the most obvious fuck-up in North North Digital.

The quality of the TV and book iterations was so consistently high this wasn't an evolution (nor a revolution) but a bit of slippage. 

Still, it's consistently chucklesome.  I think that the jokes conjure a laugh, but you don't necessarily have the normal Alan aftermath of wondering to yourself "what circle of Partridge psyche hell did that fucking come from?!"  

3/5

(in reply to Moviegeek1976)
Post #: 16
- 8/8/2013 4:52:01 PM   
Whistler

It's funny, but not ruddy funny. There are plenty of good bits, but it doesn't work quite as well as the TV show, and there's not enough Michael. "Ooh look at that, stoofed croost!"

Post #: 17
And all without a single 'ah-haah!' - 8/8/2013 8:00:48 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

'Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa' is very funny, even if it does nothing new. Because of this, if you're not already a fan of Norwich's premier D-Jock, there's little for you here.
On its own terms it succeeds marvellously, and those are the only terms it's playing on.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 18
Comedy Gold FM!!!!! - 9/8/2013 12:07:22 PM   
retranimator

There is no denying that Though I knew the character I never really watched the BBC series but did like Norfolk's No. 1 DJ so when the film got announce I was excited but at the same time a little worried as it had been about 2 decades since the series ended so was there a need for this now and would anyone be bothered to go see it.
That said the build up and publicity was done fantastic and with great reviews everywhere I can say my anticipation was high and I was by no means disappointed in this little beauty!
After Radio station North Norfolk Digital is taken over by SHAPE enterprises, to save money It looks like a DJ might have to be cut from the station.
Partridge dose what he can to save his job by doing what he can to get rid of fellow DJ Pat Farrell, Sadly Pat dose not take to well to being let go and comes back to the station armed with a shot gun to do what he can to get his job back turning the situation into a hostage crisis telling the police that he will only talk to Partridge as his negotiator.
Im happy to say that this film is hilarious from start to finish and played to perfection by Steve Coogan who goes from one extreme to another and puts himself in some very awkward positions indeed.
If I could fault it in some way and their too minor to really care is that I felt this film needed maybe one more comedy beat at the end, maybe even after the end credits and with final wrap up information on key Characters at the conclusion is on screen way too quickly to fully read everything.
Even if you never watched the series you are bound to have a great night out and one heck of a good laugh and though I was expecting to see a funny flick I was not prepared for just how funny and well written this Little beauty was.

Post #: 19
In a league of its own - 10/8/2013 10:54:49 AM   
sunflies

For sheer "keep you laughing all the way through" this is the best film I've seen in a very long time. Such a relief after the hugely disappointing The World's End.
This seres only to cement Coogan's stature as a comedy genius.
I like the way the character of Alan has evolved.

Post #: 20
Cash back!! - 10/8/2013 1:00:16 PM   
seagull

Loved Alan since his radio days, loved everything he's done in fact, so was worried if his feature film would be up to scratch. And I'm delighted to report it is. It's a brilliant outing for one of, if not the, best comic characters ever.
And now question of the day. The old guy on the pier at the end. He sounded familiar but no mention of him on IMDB. Think he's an old British sitcom actor. NND key fob for first right answer. Now there's no need to panic, here's China Crisis.

Post #: 21
RE: Cash back!! - 12/8/2013 1:14:56 PM   
jcthefirst

'Like Bin Laden.'

I honestly can't remember how the film ended I was laughing so hard at that line.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to seagull)
Post #: 22
okay - 12/8/2013 9:49:54 PM   
bretty

Okay but no more than that. The best was in the preview clips and while it had it's moments, it struggled to get above 'not bad'.

Post #: 23
Never gunna use em...never gunna use em - 14/8/2013 7:02:29 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I was really nervous when I heard they were finally making the Alan Partridge film; sitcom to big screen rarely works. I am so chuffed that I laughed all the way through. Taking Alan out of the normal, everyday stuff he usually gets up to is a bit of a gamble, especially as it's noted in a post above me that Alan's recent outings have been more and more realistic. Alpha Papa is a farce, but that's no bad thing.

Amidst all the recent nasty comedies Alpha Papa feels like http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OCRvF14kq40&t=26 (Sorry, couldn't resist). It's got a real heart to it and a worthy addition to the Alan Canon.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 24
Alpha Papa - 23/8/2013 12:49:41 AM   
JJB888

Alan Partridge's big screen outing has been called too idealistic and positive for the character but I say that is rubbish because this is just as tinged with an impending balls up as all Alan's other exploits. This film is masterful in balancing fan-base gratification with newbie appeal. The script is not only laugh-a-minute but laugh-a-10-second. There are quotes aplenty and some brilliant comic set--pieces, the decision to keep the plot's ambitiousness local was a keen move by the filmmakers. This is a very ruddy bloody good journey for the character and littering the film with Partridge alumni was a nice touch too. Hilarious from beginning to end, Alpha Papa is the best Comedy I have seen in ages.

Post #: 25
It's good - 27/8/2013 2:18:09 PM   
mjj

Tv movie spin-offs rarely work. They tend to feel like a half hour show stretched out to 2 hours, generally involving the main protagonist(s) going abroad and/or swearing a lot more than on tv( although admittedly the Inbetweeners movie did both and still managed to be funny)
Alpha Papa doesn't fall into either of these traps. It's still reassuringly Norfolk-based ( and watching it at a Norwich cinema was an odd sensation, knowing that it was filmed literally right outside) and doesn't outstay it's welcome. The regular cast are fantastic and there are some genuinely laugh out loud moments. My only concern is that, based on the brilliant opening credits scene, there may be a Roachford revival in the offing...

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI