Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: You Are All Wrong

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: You Are All Wrong Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: You Are All Wrong - 18/8/2013 11:16:28 PM   
markmcclenaghan

Using my first post on these forums to say that I loved this film. I found it to be genuinely frightening and beautiful at the same time. It also has one of my favourite scores of the year so far. To repeat some other people who liked the film, there are definitely elements underneath the surface of this film that I found to be really interesting. The visual metaphors and the dialogue say a lot more than they appear to at face value. Don't know if this will make my top films of the year, but I'm really excited to pick this film up and watch it again in HD. 4/5

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 61
Astonishing - 21/8/2013 11:11:11 AM   
ChudMonkey

I certainly can see why so many people would hate this movie especially if Drive was your only experience of Winding Refn's work but personally I thought this was an astonishing piece of cinema and an experience that will stay with me for many many years to come. Much more accessible than Valhalla Rising (yet aesthetically similar), this is the work of a master craftsman at the peak of his powers. Shot beautifully and with a score that builds unbelievable tension this is a film that treats the eyes and ears to a carnival of stimulation - I spent pretty much most of the movie with a big grin on my face as I allowed myself to fully immerse into the experience.

The story was simple but with the use of dream/(drug induced?) sequences and some non linear narrative tricks it managed to keep the viewer on their toes throughout and the acting was immaculate throughout (I also particularly loved the line from KST about Gosling's character not showing any emotion - a lovely little nod to the oft criticised performances of this highly underrated actor).

Nowhere near as violent as some reviews would have you believe and certainly not as slow as I thought it might be it's going to divide opinions but for me it was a real treat.

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to markmcclenaghan)
Post #: 62
RE: Only God Forgives - 21/8/2013 7:15:49 PM   
djc16

Really wanted to like this film, but I couldn't. The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking, the colours, the dark rooms highlighting only eyes and the camerawork, all fantastic.
Unfortunately there is not enough substance to the movie. Refn's story could have been told in 15 minutes, it's simple enough really.
Having said this, I can see how people can commit to the style over substance, but there was only so much slow walking with no goal I could take.
Visually amazing, otherwise dull.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
amazing - 22/8/2013 5:04:27 AM   
jordieb

Seen it a couple of times now and the effects only intensify with repeat viewings, it is now genuinely one of my favourite films, i dont think you necessarily enjoy the film but the pleasure comes from experiencing it, Refn is fearless in his direction and im glad this is where he went post-Drive because in form like this no one can touch Refn. I understand completely if people hate it because it will be for the reasons that all the other people love it, but the fact that you hate means, in part, that Refn has succeeded.

Post #: 64
amazing - 22/8/2013 5:09:35 AM   
jordieb

Seen it a couple of times now and the effects only intensify with repeat viewings, it is now genuinely one of my favourite films, i dont think you necessarily enjoy the film but the pleasure comes from experiencing it, Refn is fearless in his direction and im glad this is where he went post-Drive because in form like this no one can touch Refn. I understand completely if people hate it because it will be for the reasons that all the other people love it, but the fact that you hate means, in part, that Refn has succeeded.

Post #: 65
Absolute waste - 8/9/2013 8:19:12 PM   
Suren

This movie is an absolute waste of time and money. No real story just gory scenes of violence.

Post #: 66
Only God Forgives a story this incoherent. - 15/9/2013 1:50:21 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

This is an arthouse film, playing in a multiplex; and there's no judgement there, that's just the way it is.
Visually arresting, thematically stunning, narratively bewildering. Refn persists in his attempt to turn me into a reverse film snob, but while his films look this beautiful I can't give up on him just yet.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 67
RE: Absolute waste - 20/9/2013 10:46:13 PM   
Coyleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Suren

This movie is an absolute waste of time and money. No real story just gory scenes of violence.

This comment proved my point that this film will give you what you are willing to bring to it. If you're not the type of person to look beneath the surface this is the type of criticism I expect. Not a knock on anyone, but that's just the way it is. Not having a straight forward narrative on the surface doesn't mean there isn't a story, something like Inland Empire comes to mind here, it's just that you didn't find it. Maybe that sounds pretentious but...whatever

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 20/9/2013 10:48:01 PM >

(in reply to Suren)
Post #: 68
Have a read... - 10/10/2013 5:05:34 PM   
teddyloxley

i wrote my own review, please have a read..

Edit - Empire prohibits advertising your own site/blog in posts and directing users off-site.

If you'd like, you could add your site in your sig - but please don't reference in posts

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/10/2013 11:12:12 PM >

Post #: 69
- 23/11/2013 7:13:01 PM   
jezy

I think Drive is a masterpiece. I have just watched Only God Forgives on Us Netfix. Its awful. None of it works on any level. Gosling who I rate highly and I think is moving towards one of the great screen presence finds his limitations here. So glad I didn't pay to go see this on the cinema. I would advoid.

Post #: 70
Movie Marmite (I Like Marmite) - 5/12/2013 4:01:26 PM   
danfacey711

To start; I think this film is very different from 'Drive'. I almost feel like this is 'Drive's predecessor, rather than successor, as 'Drive' feels a lot more developed - a strong script and a clear vision, giving it a very clean and polished off look - usually a trait that is acquired a few films down the line for any Director.

However, Director Nicolas Winding Refn strips all of this down on his newly discovered auteur style and creates the cinematic marmite 'Only God Forgives'.

This film is very moody, experimental, dark and stylish. The photography is beautifully vibrant but still manages to seem dark, while the lightening is perfect - constantly casting the characters into a dark pool of neon red, making Bangkok look more darker and dangerous than Nicholas Cage managed to. On top of the look, the soundtrack is excellent too, lifting the film when moments seem slow and elevating the tenser scenes.

The script is very basic, as is the general plot. The characters seem very thin and Gosling seemed fairly boring. Having said that, I do think he was right for the role, but I feel it is down to the very thin script that I felt this way.

I think this film is very pretentious at times and tries too hard at being gritty and atmospheric, rather than concentrating on the plot and delivery. Even though I know that this was the point to this experimental film, I feel it leaves you feeling a little empty towards the end. The dialogue almost serves no point and when it's spoken, it's mumbled, reiterating it's need to be moody. 'Drive' succeeded at this - it's minimal dialogue focussed the viewer onto the scene, the emotion and the look of the film and for some reason I only felt that 'Only God Forgives' managed a small portion of this.

All that said that, Kristin Scott Thomas is incredible. And the dialogue she has is delivered perfectly, making her one of the most interesting characters in her broad repertoire.

Ultimately, I enjoyed this film very much, and

Post #: 71
hmmmm - 10/12/2013 11:49:10 PM   
Gram Woods

Tough one to rate. I quite liked it. The singing reminded me of love honor and obey a bit, I liked that too. While this was visually very good and very atmospheric I found it a bit vague and slow at times but felt satisfied by the end. Not sure if I totally understood it but an enjoyable ride.

Post #: 72
RE: hmmmm - 15/12/2013 10:45:46 PM   
Biggus

Bloody Nicolas Winding Refn. He got me. Iíll hold my hands up and admit that despite my best efforts to remain impartial to the lurid provocation of his latest offering Only God Forgives, during one particular scene I eventually caved and found myself saying ďOh come on thatís a bit unnecessaryĒ. No doubt the Danish controversy-monger would be pleased with this response as heís all about prompting reaction. In a recent interview he stated ďIf everybody agrees, then how deep has it gone?Ē when discussing eliciting emotional resonance from art and if heís hit a raw nerve (preferably via machete) then heís succeeded in his goal.

The plot, for what itís worth, concerns Bangkok-based Thai Boxing promoter-cum-drug peddler Julian played by Ryan Gosling who faces the prospect of exacting revenge on those responsible for killing his brother. There are few characters in this film who are pleasant to be around whether it be Gosling himself, his murderous brother or least of all Vithaya Pansringarmís almost supernatural super-sadist Chang. Acting-wise the revelation of the film comes in the form of Julianís trash-in-heels mother played by Kristin Scott Thomas who poisons every scene with a mouth every bit as sleazy as the bars and whorehouses frequented by her sons.

There is some extremely strong characterisation from the filmís principal actors however nothing quite matches the trippy, vacuous hell created by itís director. Within the opening minutes of the film itís quite clear that dialogue will not exactly be prominent. Long, lingering shots of empty corridors, blackened doorways and blood-red Bangkok decor set the scene a descent into the unspeakable side of the human psyche weíre about to plummet towards. Hallucinations and uncertain visions disorientate the viewer and create a world where any action, no matter how extreme, is not only feasible but probably lurking just just beneath the surface.

On a narrative level the film works. On a technical level the film works. But on an artistic level the films soars whether you like it or not. Itís a painstaking journey which challenges your resolve. Refn tests the strength of your stomach as well as your patience. He doesnít let you in easily and you may not forgive him for doing so but Iím sure that wonít bother him too much. After allÖ well the title says it all.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Gram Woods)
Post #: 73
"Time to meet the devil." - 20/12/2013 2:52:29 PM   
movienut707

Nicolas Winding Refn's follow-up to Drive - which is a far better film in my opinion - the much-criticized Only God Forgives is a lurid, violent, neon-drenched crime drama that plays like a cinematic nightmare with a pulse. Still, half the time it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 20/12/2013 2:58:48 PM >

Post #: 74
RE: "Time to meet the devil." - 28/12/2013 11:12:14 AM   
Drone

Odd film, neither here nor there really. A bit trendy and surreal for the sake of it.

(in reply to movienut707)
Post #: 75
Only God Forgives - 6/1/2014 7:46:24 PM   
the film man

Damon Wise, finally one of few critics to understand this film. This is the most underrated film of 2013. This review is simply spot on.

Post #: 76
RE: Only God Forgives - 21/1/2014 8:36:40 PM   
Brother L

I went into OGF with deep trepidation due how it has polarised critics and the audience. I came out the other end marvelling at it's ridiculous audacity and mesmerised by its off kilter brilliance. Yes it appears slow and 80% of it involves grand master levels of staring at nothing in particular but it is never dull due to the superb, set design, lighting and cinematography. Yes it is completely OTT (the take off the dress scene made me convulse) but it's sets it's stall as far away from kitchen sink realism that the outlandish characters and story shouldn't jar. I think Winding Rehn intended for this to be a trip and deliberately oblique and for us not to take it that seriously. It was not made as a companion piece to Drive and should not be approached as such.

Post #: 77
Wake up and smell the Red Bloody Lanerns - 21/2/2014 11:02:24 AM   
FlipJack

I rented this film on the basis of this review. I believe that the reviewer for Empire should return my spend of £3.50. This reviewer should simply be ashamed and Empire should be ashamed. Why don't we all produce whatever kind of crap we can as its evident from this reviewer that we should all suceed in stunning 5 star glory.

Star rating is ZERO, can't submit this unless I rate it with at least 1 star, another blip! Like a disease its spreading...

Post #: 78
RE: Wake up and smell the Red Bloody Lanerns - 3/7/2014 10:53:42 AM   
Vitamin F

Wee bit too slow paced, wee bit too thin on plot, wee bit too nasty, wee bit too heavy-handed with the symbolism, wee bit too much karaoke.
It looks very pretty though and some of the soundtrack musak is great, KST is suitably convincing and skanky as mother, but all in all it's not something that I'm thinking about watching again.
(Drive instantly became one of my all time faves btw, but this comes nowhere near it)

(in reply to FlipJack)
Post #: 79
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: You Are All Wrong Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI