Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Only God Forgives

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Only God Forgives Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Only God Forgives - 25/7/2013 12:27:02 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Made by someone with no grasp of why Drive became so loved - 25/7/2013 12:27:02 AM   
hjfleeds

It’s such a shame that Only God Forgives wastes what I have no problem in calling a flawless score, flawless camerawork and flawless design with the rest of the film. Its glacial pace, random Lynchian-abstract scenes (the jarring karaoke) and Gosling’s battered, shell of a character are likely to turn off fans of Gosling and Drive, whilst the beyond gratuitous violence, uncomfortable sexuality and unoriginal plot won’t attract many more audiences. A film this beautiful to look at and listen to could never be a failure, and to its credit, Only God Forgives isn’t a boring film, but ultimately, it’s a depressingly unlikeable film that takes itself too seriously and removes any trace of fun it should have, ranking among the least pleasant cinematic experiences I’ve had in a long time.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Flawed arthouse - 25/7/2013 3:00:02 PM   
hellsfoxes

Yes it's not trying to be Drive Part 2. But besides that, there is a jarring lack of humanity at the films heart. Gosling to be precise. His performance really let's the whole thing down. It takes talent to suggest depth beneath the surface. Or to make an anti-hero sympathetic enough to care about what happens to them. He achieves neither. A film can't be five stars if by the start of the third act you couldn't give half a fuck what happens to anyone.

Post #: 3
RE: Only God Forgives - 26/7/2013 2:05:53 PM   
JCR

I'm not going to not fuck about, this film is bloody awful.

Boring, derivative of Eraserhead, pointlessly violent, unintentionally funny dialogue, poorly acted, did I mention it's boring? It's not one of the worst films ever, but it ain't any good, at all.

I was highly amused by the five star review, especially after Dial M got 3.

Post #: 4
RE: Only God Forgives - 26/7/2013 8:11:57 PM   
Olaf

I guess there'll be a few comments on the score given, so I thought someone should mention that the review itself was a great read. The writer really did a fantastic job of articulating their viewpoint, gave an interesting insight into some of the themes/influences and genuinely justified the rating, which is especially difficult when a film this polarising tends towards hyperbole on both sides.

Despite the negative press (this review's in the minority for sure), I'm still looking forward to this a lot. The review touched on one thing that really came to mind for me when watching the trailers, ie that Drive looks like a bit of an outlier in Refn's filmography to a certain extent - this looks more in the vein of something like Fear X or Valhalla Rising - so it does make me wonder if the reception would have been different if this came out before Drive rather than after it.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 26/7/2013 8:12:37 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to JCR)
Post #: 5
RE: Only God Forgives - 26/7/2013 10:05:38 PM   
UTB

Haven't seen this yet but personally I found Drive to be stylistically brilliant and little else, so the negative reviews for this match my thoughts about Drive. 2 different films of course, but it does make me wonder if people weren't just a little bit over-excited at the arrival of some proper man-violence for the first time in 10 Hollywood years.

< Message edited by UTB -- 26/7/2013 10:23:02 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: Only God Forgives - 26/7/2013 11:20:54 PM   
JCR

Its a heavily polarising film for sure. The problem is if you're in the negative group, you will find it so boring it's hard not to be very negative about it, They've got a red lightbulb! The lighting is neat, but you can't hang a movie on technical features alone. Hence there is hyperbole- though as I said, saying it's one of the 5 worst films ever as Rex Reed did is overkill.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 7
RE: Only God Forgives - 27/7/2013 12:37:21 AM   
Olaf

Of course yeah, I don't mean to say hyperbole in itself is a bad thing when discussing a film - if anything, it's quite exciting when a film inspires absolute love and absolute hate and nobody saying 'it's just okay' or whatever - but this was a really good review for not resorting to Rex Reed-style 'worst film ever' or the opposite 'best film ever' response. Obviously the writer gave it five stars so I'm possibly talking out of my arse, but it never felt gushy while going into detail about why he liked it. It seems to me from your own post above and others that this film could equally warrant a review of similar length and quality, and finish with a one-star rating, which I'd love to read as well. Maybe someone at the Empire office with the opposite view (someone I'm sure) would be interested?

< Message edited by Olaf -- 27/7/2013 12:38:08 AM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to JCR)
Post #: 8
RE: Only God Forgives - 27/7/2013 8:19:14 AM   
BelfastBoy

Anybody realised that, thanks to a slightly odd, 'A Field In England' style distribution strategy, Only God Forgives is available (certainly in the US) via iTunes and VOD services? Understandably this has meant that it's already been widely pirated in HD quality. While I make no moral comment on this, I'd suggest that it's going to do the film's box office prospects no favours whatsoever.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 9
RE: Only God Forgives - 27/7/2013 2:19:10 PM   
JCR

I bought a ticket even though I knew I hated it as I felt bad about getting it via the magic internet cable.

If anyone wants a spare to the 20.00 show on 3rd August at the Edinburgh Cameo, pm me.

< Message edited by JCR -- 27/7/2013 2:20:04 PM >

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 10
Bored the pants off me - 29/7/2013 2:21:29 AM   
GFoley83

I can watch, understand & appreciate art-house movies with the best of'em, but by Jesus was this an hour and a half wasted.

Good points: Gorgeously shot; passable performances; Angle of Vengeance is pretty kick-ass.
Bad points: nonsensical plot; zero character development; boring; boring; boring.

Post #: 11
Worst Film Ever - 29/7/2013 11:36:06 AM   
RogueAngelfire

Save your money a huge disappointment after Drive!

Post #: 12
RE: Only God Forgives - 29/7/2013 11:55:49 AM   
danielthompson99

I'll be waiting for the DVD of this after a totally miserable experience watching Drive at the cinema, (even better, I'd recommended it to two friends who were also ambivalent to its charms, after I had read the 5* Empire review).
I didn't get it. Ultra-cool, ultra-slick, ultra-violence, ultra-huh ??? (can we go now ? )
Marmite movies me thinks.

Post #: 13
Absolutely tedious. - 29/7/2013 12:46:55 PM   
calumnorth

Obviously you'll take more word from the Empire review as they have infinitely more prestige than I, however, I implore you do not. Obviously film is open to personal opinion and I respect that, with this film though I just cannot think of a reason you could enjoy this. It's just pretentious nonsense. Pretty sure the 5 star review(s) it receives is through either bribes, or the critic wishes to act as pretentious as Winding-Refn. Do not spend money on this. It relies heavily on symbolism and visual metaphors, some of which are impossible to interpret while others probably don't even have meaning. The plot is generic, with an interesting setting, granted. This still doesn't merit much credit as it's just irksome. After his previous works I tried SO Hard to enjoy this but I just couldn't. As for the performances Gosling was non-existent, anybody could have played this role, Kristin Scott Thomas played her most unique character but is surprisingly forgettable and as for Pansringarm it's a shame, he is extremely intimidating but he just drowns in the drab lackluster environment he exists in. Do not waste your time with this.

Post #: 14
terrible !! - 29/7/2013 5:32:35 PM   
elsquig

the fact that empire gives this 5 stars proves that they are dicks! i felt genuinely robbed after watching this!
for shame empire ,for shame .

Post #: 15
Repeat. - 29/7/2013 5:49:24 PM   
jxsquire

This film, to me, was just a repeat of the previous film by the Director (Drive) but in another country. Even Gosling's character was very similar, e.g doesn't really talk.

Really disappointing movie, especially as this was supposed to be Gosling's last acting job before his Directing career.

Post #: 16
Really? - 29/7/2013 6:55:27 PM   
alex kelaru

You have to be joking... 5 star for this? Usually Empire reviews are good and true, but 5 star for this slow-mo is a joke. Unless the review is part of the movie's P&A budget...

Post #: 17
Really? - 29/7/2013 6:55:58 PM   
alex kelaru

You have to be joking... 5 star for this? Usually Empire reviews are good and true, but 5 star for this slow-mo is a joke. Unless the review is part of the movie's P&A budget...

Post #: 18
Great, but not essential - 29/7/2013 7:05:05 PM   
FoxDhoj

Refn had a good stab at destroying everyone's expectations with this one. There is much experimentation, and the No vibe is stronger than ever before. Considering Drive was so sexually repressed, the emotional conflict here is strikingly sexualised and violence follows suit. I wouldn't say this was as digestible as Drive was, but it's certainly an inspired follow-up, but all pretentiousness is on show this time around with plenty of moments where I was unsure whether to laugh or squirm. It was more melodramatic than Valhalla Rising was, almost matching Bronson for campiness. As for the great drug-induced experiments of this year, it was definitely more engaging than Wheatley's A Field In England but not as fun, thrilling and focused as Soderbergh's Side Effects.

< Message edited by FoxDhoj -- 29/7/2013 7:09:09 PM >

Post #: 19
What the H E DOUBLE L!! - 29/7/2013 8:14:55 PM   
WicciAyla

Why do such bleak violent movies always get such great reviews? 90 minutes of one's life that one is not going to get back!

Post #: 20
Oh dear - 29/7/2013 11:56:22 PM   
Jonny24

Is Empire having another Attack of the Clones moment here? Drive was OK, some good stuff, some bad stuff, kind of over-rated. The consensus so far seems that this is not as good, or contains more of the stuff that was bad about Drive. So I gonna skip it.

(in reply to WicciAyla)
Post #: 21
RE: Oh dear - 30/7/2013 6:45:34 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonny24

Is Empire having another Attack of the Clones moment here? Drive was OK, some good stuff, some bad stuff, kind of over-rated. The consensus so far seems that this is not as good, or contains more of the stuff that was bad about Drive. So I gonna skip it.

Me too, I've had enough of going to see films and making my own mind up.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Jonny24)
Post #: 22
What???????? - 30/7/2013 9:31:50 AM   
seven28uk

I'm never goin to stop reading Empire but I think I've reached the point where the reviews carry no value at all.
I used to buy a cinema ticket for a film unseen on the Empire review alone, and I'm all for personal opinion, but recent reviews have caused me to think otherwise.
I think 5 stars should be held for films that stand the test of time, be remembered for years to come as a great, I don't think there is a chance this film will.
The 2 stars is due to the fact I've never seen a story told where the main protagonist is a clearly on the wrong side, and isn't even a major player.

Post #: 23
RE: Oh dear - 30/7/2013 10:25:28 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonny24

The reviewer clearly liked it more than those who have posted on the forum. It just seems to be a very divisive film. A review will always be an individual's subjective opinion, and just because someone does it for a living doesn't make their judgements any more valid than yours or mine. For example, I watched Stoker on the basis of two amazingly positive Empire 5* reviews, but I personally thought it was utterly hopeless.

(in reply to Jonny24)
Post #: 24
RE: What???????? - 30/7/2013 4:15:19 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: seven28uk

I'm never goin to stop reading Empire but I think I've reached the point where the reviews carry no value at all.
I used to buy a cinema ticket for a film unseen on the Empire review alone, and I'm all for personal opinion, but recent reviews have caused me to think otherwise.
I think 5 stars should be held for films that stand the test of time, be remembered for years to come as a great, I don't think there is a chance this film will.
The 2 stars is due to the fact I've never seen a story told where the main protagonist is a clearly on the wrong side, and isn't even a major player.

Good idea - I reckon whenever a film is released that they deem worthy of five stars, they should wait at least a decade before writing the review just to be on the safe side.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to seven28uk)
Post #: 25
RE: What???????? - 30/7/2013 4:17:49 PM   
Dannybohy

They have given Lone Ranger 4 stars! its without doubt one of the worst movies I have ever seen! its worse than Wild Wild West!

I gave up trusting EMPIRE reviews the same time I stopped my subscription about a decade ago!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 30/7/2013 4:19:34 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 26
RE: Only God Forgives - 30/7/2013 5:08:46 PM   
bydabeachman

I am sure everyone who hated The Holy Mountain, hated this film. Not saying they are one in the same or anywhere alike, but the style reminds me of Jodorowsky.
Only God Forgives gave me everything I was wanting out of it.

I have a question for everyone who didn't like it, what would you change about it to make it more enjoyable???

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

Post #: 27
Typical - 31/7/2013 10:20:39 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

Hated 'Drive' and have got absolutely f*ck all interest in watching this for exactly the same pretentious, boring, anti-climactic reasons as that over-rated pile of sh*t. Not surprised at all to see Empire giving this 5 stars though.

Post #: 28
EMDIRE - 31/7/2013 2:01:48 PM   
billysexcrime

5 stars for this peace of shi*e. Are you high?

Post #: 29
You Are All Wrong - 1/8/2013 12:14:16 AM   
filterHQ

The review perfectly describes the film. I really enjoyed..hmm..maybe "enjoyed" isn't the right word...Let's just say that I'm glad I watched it, even after some reviewers saying they hated it.
Genuinely scary. Great score. Good acting. Completely mad. A visual treat. Good (even though it's self indulgent) directing. Superbly lit. Brutal. Nightmarish. Best film I've seen in a while for sure.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Only God Forgives Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI