Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Frozen Ground - 20/7/2013 3:42:22 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Good, but could have been great. - 20/7/2013 3:42:22 PM   
BenTramer

John Cusack is a very limited actor in that he can only play himself. At crucial scenes near the end, you can see Cusack struggling to deliver a performance. I would have preferred another stronger actor in the role. I feel that the script never gave enough context or detail on the Hansen and the killings. Even the scenes where he hunted a girl were far too brief, I don't believe he would have flown all the way out to the wilderness to kill them quickly. He was going to make their suffering last like a true sadist. According to Amazon, this won't be out on DVD and Blu-ray until Boxing Day, December 26th. Huh??? If you want the movie to sink without trace, that's a great time to put it out. Early November would catch the Christmas market.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Straight-to-video fodder, BUT... - 21/7/2013 3:06:33 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

...it says a lot about the tone of the The Frozen Ground that when the closing credits start with a dedication to Hansen's victims, and a sequence of photographs/details are sequentially shown of each, not a single person left the auditorium or even fidgeted to. I don't know how close to the truth this film goes, but for me it was close enough to be not taken lightly.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 3
RE: Straight-to-video fodder, BUT... - 21/7/2013 11:56:41 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMightyBlackout

...it says a lot about the tone of the The Frozen Ground that when the closing credits start with a dedication to Hansen's victims, and a sequence of photographs/details are sequentially shown of each, not a single person left the auditorium or even fidgeted to.

About half of the people in my screening left straight away. It felt a little disrespectful to be honest.

I liked the film a lot. And BenTramer, Cusack was the best thing for me. He was fantastic.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 4
Excellent!! - 26/7/2013 12:13:16 AM   
archie119

I went to see this not having read much about it and expecting the usual Nicholas Cage fodder (which I actually like) but was pleasantly surprised by how good this was. In regards to the reviewer who thinks that John Cusack is a limited actor, well think again! I thought he was excellent, giving a very eerie performance. Nic Cage was also very good as was Vanessa Hudgens. With all the horror movies that come out every year featuring all kinds of vampires, zombies etc this film goes to show how much more terrifying real human monsters can be.

Post #: 5
What!?!!?!? - 28/7/2013 7:19:01 PM   
tysmuse

It takes soooo long to get going! Cusack is a really good actor, why o why does he continue to choose such shite films!? Cage looks like he's boring himself. And the first hour is so boring - it's just the same situation repeating itself, Cindy escapes cops, runs around, cops find her, she runs off again. Yawn.

The scenes - unfortunately, only two - where Cage meets Cusack face to face, are enjoyable. But the direction is just so pedestrian, it doesn't even attempt to make anything look or feel interesting.

The source material is good though. If you read the book Mindhunter (by an FBI agent who helped Thomas Harris a lot with Red Dragon) he talks about the use of objects (like the bracelet in the movie) to unease suspects in interviews. The movie should have made more out of moments like that.

Post #: 6
They did good. - 2/10/2013 6:08:27 AM   
Fiademia

Being from Alaska and knowing Anchorage, it was so nice to watch an Alaskan movie done right. Anchorage is not like that anymore, let me just say that. They hit it on the nose. Good job guys, plus their my favorite actors. We waited and waited for this to be released and it did not disappoint. I'm buying DVDs tomorrow. Reading the sappy reviews just shows a movie mind. This was not just a movie, these were real lives taken and the brief scenes of killing are because Hansen is real and he did not confess willingly. The actors must have worked closely with the victim to get it right on.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Frozen Ground Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI