Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 1:02:09 PM   
passenger58

Hi all,

First post.

Possible Spoiler Discussion for Star Trek Into Darkness

Just been thinking recently about the big character reveal in Star Trek Into Darkness and couldn't help but wonder just how the production managed to keep it under wraps until after the film's release.

I know it was a rumour initially when Cumberbatch was cast a couple of years ago, but it went away very quickly and heard of very little in the time before release.

It's just interesting how in this age of (at times anonymous) social media and with what must be hundreds, if not thousands, of cast/crew involved in the production that nothing was slipped out either by them or friends/family.

Confidentality agreements are one thing but they are useless when stuff gets out anonymously.

So yeah, my question is what are your thoughts on this sort of thing? Just how do studios manage to keep this sort of stuff under wraps and what does the future hold?

< Message edited by passenger58 -- 18/7/2013 1:17:12 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 1:11:55 PM   
elab49

Possible Spoilers Continue - STID hasn't reached DVD yet and is still in some cinemas, so some care should be taken here and people who haven't seen it should read at their peril. Unless they don't care.

I agree it is something of a surprise it wasn't confirmed given the numbers involved, from a leak pre-release, but not so much on it not being discussed - it was a very regular topic of conversations with every shot, teaser etc analysed to back up the conclusion of most that this was the case and the secrecy was all a little silly.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to passenger58)
Post #: 2
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 1:19:45 PM   
passenger58

I dunno. Maybe I'm naive, but at release I genuinely had given up on the initial rumour and thought that the antagonist was a new character called John Harrison.

So the big reveal was all the more special when it happened.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 2:30:56 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: passenger58

I dunno. Maybe I'm naive, but at release I genuinely had given up on the initial rumour and thought that the antagonist was a new character called John Harrison.

me too but unfortuantly about a week b4 release (after it had been shown at various premieres) i read the following sentence on a Trek website which was then swiftly deleted (thus confirming it was true)

SPOILERS:
Kirk dies at the end only to be revived with Khans blood!

so a) i knew it was khan...b) i knew it was Kirk behind the glass (role reveral) and...c) hed be revived.

before i could stop myself reading it my brain had processed it and i felt numb. for the next week i tried to forget what id read but it was no use. it was even more annoying that the sentence only appeared for a few minutes before it was taken down and that i had just been killing time - i didnt need to looking at stuff at all (in fact i shouldve been in bed). plus the comment was posted under discussions for another Trek movie (Generations - so discussions about Kirks death in that film was obviously too tempting for someone to post the spoilers for STID).

that was a good day

btw this site tried pretty much confirmed it was Khan (and Nimoy) a year before the films release (same site as i read the spoiler)
http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/30/major-star-trek-sequel-spoilers-confirmed/

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 18/7/2013 2:43:36 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 2:37:10 PM   
Deviation

Was the big John Harrison really a secret? It's possibly like the most predictable reveal of all time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 5
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 2:59:08 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: passenger58

Same here.However, those who say they guessed it spend way too much time on the internet trying to find out these things.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 6
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 3:03:51 PM   
Deviation

Or it was dead obvious, senor Hypocrite.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 7
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 18/7/2013 8:05:46 PM   
galvatron

I thought he was going to be Khan, was just obvious and tons of people were talking about it all over the net.

My favourite one is how they kept the "I am your father" line secret, most of the cast didn't even know! Didn't only Lucas, Hammil and Earl-Jones know about it pretty much up until the release?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 8
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 22/7/2013 12:38:32 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

I thought he was going to be Khan, was just obvious and tons of people were talking about it all over the net.

My favourite one is how they kept the "I am your father" line secret, most of the cast didn't even know! Didn't only Lucas, Hammil and Earl-Jones know about it pretty much up until the release?

The internet didnt exist back in 1980 thats why.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 9
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 22/7/2013 12:55:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

The thing with Star Trek is that Abrams didn't keep quiet about it - they played it up as a mystery! And we were all talking about Khan in 2009!

Look at how a certain Marvel film this year handled its surprise. No "mystery box" no attempt to tease. It became a greater surprise for it!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 10
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 22/7/2013 1:46:16 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The thing with Star Trek is that Abrams didn't keep quiet about it - they played it up as a mystery! And we were all talking about Khan in 2009!

Look at how a certain Marvel film this year handled its surprise. No "mystery box" no attempt to tease. It became a greater surprise for it!

If your talking about Iron Man 3, that is possibly the WORST movie twist of all time because it was so bloody silly that the film turned into a complete joke at that point and it made a mockery of the Iron Mans greatest villain from the comics.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 11
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 22/7/2013 1:53:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

If your talking about Iron Man 3, that is possibly the WORST movie twist of all time because it was so bloody silly that the film turned into a complete joke at that point and it made a mockery of the Iron Mans greatest villain from the comics.

That is your opinion. The point I am making is that it was a twist that was not spoiled for people because it wasn't presented as a mystery therefore it was highly successful in keeping a secret. Unlike Star Trek.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 12
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 22/7/2013 2:02:31 PM   
Deviation

They even made it look like that was a definite thing in Iron Man 3 because of them selling toys of him and shit, only to change it.

It was brilliant, unlike "It's obviously Khan but he's actuallly not".

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 13
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 26/7/2013 12:22:56 PM   
shool

As soon as IM3 was released there was alot of talk about a big twist. I managed to avoid it, but even knowing there was a twist alters the viewing sadly.

However, I agree, up to the film actually being released their wasnt even a hint of a big reveal. so kudos to the studio for the way they handled it.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 14
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 26/7/2013 12:42:51 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

As soon as IM3 was released there was alot of talk about a big twist. I managed to avoid it, but even knowing there was a twist alters the viewing sadly.

Usually, I agree with this (with review blurbs on books saying 'this book has an unbeliveable twist' being the worst offender for me), but Iron Man 3's twist was one I would never in a million years have seen coming so it still took me by surprise.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 15
RE: Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? - 26/7/2013 5:08:03 PM   
Cool Breeze

No one saw the Iron Man 3 twist coming because no one could have imagined Marvel signing off on one that was so fucking stupid that would turn the film into a parody and turn what could have been a great and fearsome villain for Stark to fight into an absolute joke.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Just how are big movie reveals kept so quiet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI