Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

When the general public get it right

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> When the general public get it right Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When the general public get it right - 13/7/2013 8:28:46 PM   
Castor Troy

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Here's the biggest grossing films of all time.

Which films deserve it? Which ones are you glad have made that much money. Biggest travesty?

And how fucking lucky is Cameron. Two completely different films taking the top spot.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 1
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 9:14:25 AM   
sanchia

There are surprisingly few real quality films on there. There are many good bang crash blockbusters though. the first one I would class as truly deserving is probably Toy Story 3 down in 11th position. There are some i have enjoyed through pure entertainment value though such as The Avengers.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 2
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 2:13:57 PM   
Whistler

I don't think Cameron is lucky necessarily, he just knows how to make a spectacle movie.

There are some very naff films high up that list, which is sad, and on balance I'd say there are more crappy ones than good, but there are some quality films in there too so it kind of evens out. It's great how well Skyfall did.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 3
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 2:38:09 PM   
galvatron

I think it's better to use this list: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

So many of the all time list have been in 3D and cost more per ticket so of course tons of modern blockbusters such as Avengers Assemble will be near the top.

Far more quality films in the adjusted list.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 4
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 4:01:10 PM   
horribleives

Bloody hell, I had no idea Alice In Wonderland was such a big hit.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 5
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 4:09:24 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, that's the one that surprised me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 6
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 4:56:48 PM   
sanchia

It was one of the first real 3D films out there and I think, like for Avatar, that helped sell the product.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 7
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 6:56:27 PM   
Shifty Bench

There were loads of 3D films before Alice In Wonderland and it was post converted 3D which looks shit (mostly). Don't know how it sold 3D to people

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 8
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 6:59:19 PM   
Deviation

It came like a few months after Avatar though, and it was the first release after Avatar to have 3D, back when 3D was this "WHOOOOOOOOOOOAH THE FUTURE MAN" thing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 9
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 7:08:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

I hated 3D before Avatar came along.

It was the 'real 3D' part that threw me

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 14/7/2013 7:09:11 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 7:18:48 PM   
directorscut

+ Legendary source material.
+ Johnny Depp playing another wacky character off the back of POTC.
+ Post LOTR fantasy boom in the international market.
+ It was absolutely massive in Japan.
+ It had three weeks of absolutely no competition.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 11
RE: When the general public get it right - 14/7/2013 10:48:10 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

I think it's better to use this list: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

So many of the all time list have been in 3D and cost more per ticket so of course tons of modern blockbusters such as Avengers Assemble will be near the top.

Far more quality films in the adjusted list.

Great list, but GONE WITH THE WIND is the biggest movie of all time?

I finally watched it, for the first time, last week and it was awful!

Say what now?

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 12
RE: When the general public get it right - 17/7/2013 4:42:11 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

I'm so happy to see The Lion King still riding high!

The public certainly got it right there. Everything about that film is absolutely magnificent: the beautiful 2D animation and (at the time) pioneering CGI, the story, the characters, the warmth, the heart, the pathos, the catchy tunes and the gorgeous score.

I still remember seeing the trailer - the film's 'Circle of Life' opening - in the cinema; I got goosebumps and I am not shamed to say that tears sprang to my eyes! It was just so breath-takingly beautiful.

I went to see it with my German penpal, who was over on an exchange, and she stared at me with indifferent bewilderment as I sobbed my eyes out at Mufasa's demise. It was a brave step by Disney and their first ever on-screen death (Bambi's mother's off-screen death being the only other), and it was utterly heart-breaking.

I still think it's one of the greatest films ever made, and the perfect animation. All hail The Lion King!

< Message edited by Cloud Cuckoo -- 17/7/2013 4:43:54 PM >

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 13
RE: When the general public get it right - 17/7/2013 5:09:21 PM   
Hood_Man

There aren't many on there that surprise me to be fair, lots of very popular blockbusters and some genuinely damn good films too. Many boosted by 3D and Imax concessions of course.

If I look at the top 10 for instance, I see 4 films that I really love (Avengers, Dark Knight, Skyfall & ROTK), 4 that I quite like (Avatar, Titanic, Harry Potter & Iron Man 3), and 1 more that, while not being great, was still a very enjoyable film when it came out (Pirates 2).

...And the last remaining place belongs to Transformers 3 which made me want to slit my wrists. However, even that is incredibly popular with kids, and has benefitted from 3D, Imax 3D, vast expansion of overseas markets etc.

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 14
RE: When the general public get it right - 17/7/2013 6:17:30 PM   
snaze1

To be honest that list does just show that popularity isnt neccesarily a bench mark for quality.
I have a similar music argument ongoing with a mate of mine who claims that becausr Elvis is the one of the biggest selling artists of all time he is also the best but if you use that logic then "Bob the builder - can we fix it?" was the best single of the year 2000.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 15
RE: When the general public get it right - 17/7/2013 7:26:18 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

I have a similar music argument ongoing with a mate of mine who claims that becausr Elvis is the one of the biggest selling artists of all time he is also the best but if you use that logic then "Bob the builder - can we fix it?" was the best single of the year 2000.

To be fair, though, with Elvis it's more than just popularity. There's global influence, longevity, his legacy. Whereas Bob the Builder's single success is something of a 'flash-in-the-pan' comparitively. Justin Bieber on the other hand...I will never understand that shit.

Of course big box-office success is never an indicator of anything other than trends and the power of marketing. If such a film is considered high-quality it's usually just more of a coincidence or a lucky accident. After a certain number of years I don't think many of us really give a shit about BO performance when it comes to determining our favourite films, films that we rate personally as 'quality'.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> When the general public get it right Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI