Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Monsters University - 12/7/2013 12:05:39 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Monsters University - 14/7/2013 11:15:26 AM   
TrendMeUp

Wow, no comments yet?

I saw this with the Mrs last night and we had a brilliant time. I do believe people come in to every Pixar film expecting a masterpiece and this can have a detrimental effect on their enjoyment of them. I've read a lot of reviews that call the film average and I really think it is far from that. When I went to the cinema I was in an awful, grumpy mood and I left smiling from ear to ear. The film was sweet, thoughtful and hilarious. It has a surprisingly sobering and realistic message about chasing your dreams, but wraps it all up beautifully and honestly while maintaining that sense of optimism that a U certificate needs. I do agree with the criticisms levelled at the film's slow opening act and the laughs and charm don't really kick in until after the half hour mark, and because of this I'd personally agree with Olly's 4 star rating. I'd recommend the film to anyone and I think it, along with Brave, is proof that even when Pixar is a notch below it's absolute best it still produces family cinema of a quality above and beyond what most other studios are capable of.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Distinction. - 14/7/2013 1:49:06 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

The chemistry between Billy Crystal and John Goodman is the heart of the film, and their enjoyment really shines through their performances.
Monsters University is another triumph for Pixar, proving once again that U-rated films can be funny, engaging and relevant.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 3
it gets a 2:2 - 15/7/2013 9:51:40 PM   
tysmuse

it's ok. quite funny and sweet, but nothing on the original

Post #: 4
B+ - 16/7/2013 6:53:09 AM   
Mikehall1970

I didn't have huge expectations for Monsters University, although I think Monsters Inc. is one of Pixar's finest achievements. 12 years have passed, so why make a sequel now? Although, as animated movies take years to make, that thinking was probably with Pixar about 5 years ago.

That said, MU is somewhat of a treat. It's certainly colourful, it it imaginative in its storytelling and like it's predecessor, has some great sight gags - the slowest slug ever on it's first day at uni for example. However, I felt it had a bit of Disney preachiness to it, it felt a bit flat in places, the dialogue slightly awkward here and there. These are minor gripes really, it's still a lot of fun.

Post #: 5
RE: B+ - 17/7/2013 9:24:11 PM   
Dr Lenera

Enjoyable and well-crafted as their films still are, Pixar definitely seem to be taking the easy route of late, with sequels, prequels and spinoffs dominating their schedule. Even the supposedly original Brave was more of an uninspired rehash of other stuff. The risk-taking and brilliant innovation of films like Wall-E, Ratatouille and Up seems to be a thing of the past. Monsters University is a very decent prequel to Monsters Inc and is at times quite intelligent. It gives the unusual but true message that chasing your dreams could be a waste of time, while throughout putting a fun spin on college dramas and comedies. Billy Crystal and John Goodman retain their great chemistry, while the members of the fraternity that finally excepts them are a fun bunch. Technically there are some stunning shots which I wanted to freeze frame so I could study all the detail of the countless monsters there. But the film never kicks into high gear, with even the humour amusing but no more than that, while it all seems to end, then start up again. The last twenty minutes are actually on a much higher level and seem to be where the REAL Pixar movie starts, but then it ends. Fun, and certainly not a waste of time for adults, but nothing special, and Pixar films used to be exactly that. The proceeding short The Blue Umbrella looks fantastic and is, as increasingly the case, better than the feature it supports, but retreads Paperman.

6.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 17/7/2013 9:26:44 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Mikehall1970)
Post #: 6
A GREAT Prequel to Monster's Inc!!! - 20/7/2013 5:10:03 PM   
Ramone87

Pixar once again showcase complete mastery in continuing a franchise in great style!!

This prequel concerns the beginning of Mike (Crystal) and Sulley (Goodman) friendship at College,..learning the art of how to be the best scarers around. It's doesn't start smoothly however as they are bitter rivals at first,...learning the ropes from tutors like,.well the very scary but brilliant Helen Mirren as Dean Hardscabble.

It all moves at a good pace, good gags and great and funny set pieces abound as the duo have no choice but to unite in a University Contest after being dropped from the Scare Programme Course. We meet new and familiar characters throughout the film as they all try and survive University life, be it at wild parties to bitter rivalry and general goofing around as students.

The films climax is expertly staged, from surviving the staged scare contest they have to do it for real as they get trapped in the 'real' world,... Crystal and Goodman do a fantastic job of further exploring the colourful characters of Mike and Sulley, revealing real human sides and flaws, making them even more likeable then they already are.

Visually the film is awesome, great attention to details in all their set pieces, characters and environments. A great prequel that Pixar should be very proud off.

ENJOY!!

Post #: 7
A GREAT Prequel to Monster's Inc!!! - 20/7/2013 5:14:41 PM   
Ramone87

Pixar once again showcase complete mastery in continuing a franchise in great style!!

This prequel concerns the beginning of Mike (Crystal) and Sulley (Goodman) friendship at College,..learning the art of how to be the best scarers around. It's doesn't start smoothly however as they are bitter rivals at first,...learning the ropes from tutors like,.well the very scary but brilliant Helen Mirren as Dean Hardscabble.

It all moves at a good pace, good gags and great and funny set pieces abound as the duo have no choice but to unite in a University Contest after being dropped from the Scare Programme Course. We meet new and familiar characters throughout the film as they all try and survive University life, be it at wild parties to bitter rivalry and general goofing around as students.

The films climax is expertly staged, from surviving the staged scare contest they have to do it for real as they get trapped in the 'real' world,... Crystal and Goodman do a fantastic job of further exploring the colourful characters of Mike and Sulley, revealing real human sides and flaws, making them even more likeable then they already are.

Visually the film is awesome, great attention to details in all their set pieces, characters and environments. A great prequel that Pixar should be very proud off.

ENJOY!!

Post #: 8
RE: Monsters University - 12/8/2013 10:53:04 PM   
moviebuff73

excellent movie. great characters, great storyline, getting in on the "origin" bandwagon that seems to be so popular.

Post #: 9
Hmm - 3/12/2013 12:56:17 AM   
guysalisbury

Its good but nowhere nearly as good as the first one. Still charming and funny though. I won't be buying the Blu-ray.

Post #: 10
RE: Monsters University - 31/12/2013 12:19:50 PM   
chang

It is funny. But the longed-for return to Pixar greatness seems as far away as ever.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Monsters University Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI