Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Desolation of Smaug

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Desolation of Smaug Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 18/12/2013 6:27:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

He was shot by a Morgul arrow which I'm guessing is similar to a Morgul blade. But he vocalised his pain much more than Frodo, who just kind of whimpered and passed out.

I'm going to admit that I didn't know that Azog was CGI until I read about it after seeing AUJ in the cinema

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Okay peeps, here's my ratings so far for Middle Earth films.

The Return of the King 4/5

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 18/12/2013 6:28:47 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 91
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 18/12/2013 8:02:58 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

He was shot by a Morgul arrow which I'm guessing is similar to a Morgul blade. But he vocalised his pain much more than Frodo, who just kind of whimpered and passed out.

I'm going to admit that I didn't know that Azog was CGI until I read about it after seeing AUJ in the cinema

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Okay peeps, here's my ratings so far for Middle Earth films.

The Return of the King 4/5

Yes... exactly what I was going to point out.
Morgul weapons turn people into wraiths if they're not dealt with soon enough. So it wasn't artificial drama, at all (unless you count the fact it was nowhere to be found in the book... in which case, it was).

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 92
Desolation of Smaug - 18/12/2013 9:23:21 AM   
Alistair

My point wasn't the fact that it was a Morgul weapon, and the eventual effect it has. My point is that stuff like this plays-out alongside the cartoonish nature of the action in these films. Characters seem to tumble hundreds of feet without injury, bounce around like gummy bears and yet we're supposed to care when one gets shot by an arrow? This dwarf is clearly super-human as he survived a fall that would usually kill someone in the first film (in the mine).

Look, I know it's a fantasy film, and it deals in fantasy, but when you're clearly not imposing any kind of limits to physics in scenes of peril then you're removing all tension and drama and mortality to that world. The LOTR trilogy does balance this line quite well I think, but Jackson seems to have lost his mind with the Hobbit films.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 18/12/2013 9:24:42 AM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 93
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 18/12/2013 9:30:16 AM   
AxlReznor

Do you not get the difference between falling and being shot by an evil magic arrow? Being able to survive one, doesn't - and shouldn't - mean they're able to survive anything, so the drama is perfectly relevant to the situation.

Now if one of them gets killed by a fall that they would have survived unscathed in an earlier scene, I'd see your point.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 94
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 18/12/2013 11:22:59 AM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor
Do you not get the difference between falling and being shot by an evil magic arrow?

Well as both should really lead to death then I don't really get the difference, no.

Edit: In fact, falling from a great height is more deadly than an evil magic arrow as that seemingly took six hours of the film to try to kill the dwarf, and a massive fall should lead to instant death.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 18/12/2013 11:29:27 AM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 95
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 18/12/2013 9:13:41 PM   
Dr Lenera

Review elsewhere but I'd rate the films:

Fellowship Of The Ring 9/10
Two Towers 8.5/10
Return Of The King 9.5/10
An Unexpectded Journey 6/10
Desolation Of Smaug 5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 96
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 18/12/2013 11:22:16 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I don't think I can take much more of seeing people rate the LOTR trilogy and not give them all top marks

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 97
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 19/12/2013 12:48:30 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I don't think I can take much more of seeing people rate the LOTR trilogy and not give them all top marks

The first one is a five-starrer, but frankly... it's a downward slide after that.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 98
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 20/12/2013 10:04:40 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Well to be honest I was going for the cinema versions, if I went by the EEs, I'd probably move FOTR and ROTK up a notch so ROTK, at least, is 10/10. TTT, easily my least favourite of the trilogy, would stay at 8.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 99
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 20/12/2013 10:08:28 AM   
AxlReznor

I thought I was the only one who thought that The Two Towers was the weakest of the trilogy.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 100
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 21/12/2013 12:41:17 AM   
Ref

I loved the Two Towers and thought that the Battle of Helm's Deep was better executed than all of the battles in ROTK. But hey, if we all liked the same stuff the world would be a boring (but safer ) place. So I'm hoping that the Battle of 5 Armies will be more like TTT.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 101
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 21/12/2013 8:51:54 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

If I did have to place them in order it'd be FOTR, TTT, ROTK but any changes in quality are infinitesimal. I generally take them all as one long film anyway.

Much more better!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 102
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 3/1/2014 4:22:27 PM   
MDG_78

Yes, The LOTR is one film chopped into 3 for necessity sake just like the book. All of the extended versions of each LOTR film are 10/10 anyway.

The FOTR is the most faithful and Tolkien-esque
The TT has the best opening and the best ending.
The ROTK has the most emotional weight and many of my favourite scenes.

The Hobbit trilogy was never going to be as good as let alone better than The Lord of the Rings but I still hope Jackson 'knocks it out of the park', as the Yanks would say (and I have to!), with There And Back Again. Certainly in terms of emotion as well as spectacle it has the potential to be something special in a year of X-Men, Godzilla and Interstellar it will need to be.

Post #: 103
RE: Desolation of Smaug - 11/1/2014 2:13:52 AM   
owlfall

the movie was slow and dragged on and on, then when the fun starts it ends.

(in reply to MDG_78)
Post #: 104
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Desolation of Smaug Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI