Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Oldboy Red Band Trailer Up

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Oldboy Red Band Trailer Up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oldboy Red Band Trailer Up - 11/7/2013 12:29:17 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
NO NO NO NO NO NO - 11/7/2013 12:29:17 AM   
tommyinglis

Hollywood remake? Let's give it a shot
No Vivaldi? Erm...Ok
His daughter's publicly on TV? Theyve changed the ending? I guess it could work
Zero violence despite red band trailer? wtf
Im at a loss.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 11/7/2013 6:48:51 AM   
big dawg

Pretty obvious they wouldn't follow the original film ending, doubt that would work with majority of western audiences. I don't think it needed a remake particularly but the trailer looks decent enough and if it makes people seek out the original then that's a good thing too. People moaning about remakes/reboots constantly, is as tedious as the remakes/reboots themselves....

Post #: 3
RE: - 11/7/2013 7:12:58 AM   
Scruffybobby

Looks like they're at least doing things a bit differently. They've got a good director and cast so it could be worthwhile. Will just need to wait and see

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 4
RE: - 11/7/2013 7:16:52 AM   
pythonlove

Get a clue, gentlemen. The film has the exact same twist as the original.

SPOILER

The girl on the TV news report is not really his daughter. It's just a fake report inserted into his TV watching to misdirect him and the audience... You know, so people who haven't seen the first one will not guess where it's going.

It's pretty smart actually. The big reveal will be just as stomach-churning.

Whether the movie will stand on its own is the question...

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 5
Typical Hollywood - 11/7/2013 9:19:43 AM   
dr.chez

Same film, just with the Hollywood treatment. Take off the edge, verbally explain plot points, add more sex... job done. Well done Spike Lee you muppet.

Post #: 6
Manga Interpretation - 11/7/2013 9:35:14 AM   
Iago 1979

Many seem to be most upset about this film's apparent lack of adherence to the big twist on the original's ending. While some have suggested that this could be a red herring and the big twist is still in there, it might be worth pointing out that the twist is an invention of the original movie and was not in the manga that the original was based on. Could this remake be more of an adaptation of the manga than of the original film, with style tics taken from both the manga and movie? Just a thought...

Post #: 7
- 11/7/2013 10:45:12 AM   
Kavandclay

Hope Pythonlove is right, otherwise it just becomes another version of Taken. I'm still a bit skeptical as to whether US studios would take the risk of keeping the Big I ending.

Post #: 8
Agree with Dr Chez - 11/7/2013 11:46:56 AM   
chris wootton

It's exactly the same film, I'd wager the ending is kept the same as well. Poor, very poor

Post #: 9
Looks terrible - 11/7/2013 12:09:05 PM   
Desbris

Looks fcking terrible but I am not surprised, it is Spike Lee directing it after all.

Post #: 10
Looks terrible - 11/7/2013 12:50:19 PM   
Desbris

Looks fcking terrible but I am not surprised, it is Spike Lee directing it after all.

Post #: 11
How wrong was I? - 11/7/2013 1:42:52 PM   
leetee80

I was going to keep my initials worrries on the down side and try to be a positive as possible. But after watching the trailer, I can voice my dissappointment! Holly-weird will dampen down the Big ending, try to stylise this rather than keep the gritty, raw, visceral feel of Park Chan Wook - I bet there isnt even a live Octopus to eat!!

Post #: 12
RE: How wrong was I? - 11/7/2013 1:50:25 PM   
UTB

I don't think this looks terrible at all. Entirely pointless, perhaps, but not terrible.

We haven't seen Sharlto yet (apart from his arse).

(in reply to leetee80)
Post #: 13
RE: How wrong was I? - 11/7/2013 2:09:43 PM   
Deviation

Will it be better then the Bollywood version though?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 11/7/2013 2:10:10 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 14
Empire Review will be 4/5 - 11/7/2013 5:25:25 PM   
webber6969

While I freely admit that after seeing the original some years ago I have no interest in this remake, would anyone like to take a wager that Empire give this film 4 stars out of 5 but never state in the review that the potential viewers' time would be better spent watching the original five star film.

Most recent examples being Girl with the Dragon Tattoo x2, and Let The Right One In/Let Me In.

Post #: 15
RE: How wrong was I? - 11/7/2013 6:27:20 PM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I don't think this looks terrible at all. Entirely pointless, perhaps, but not terrible.

We haven't seen Sharlto yet (apart from his arse).

Sense at last! So many people carping on 'it looks terrible' (what looks terrible exactly? ), 'spike lee is rubbish' (really? ), 'prob wont even be a live octopus' (so you bitch about a remake but want it exactly the same? Make up your mind)...in the trailer we see hammers goin into heads, a similar looking clip to the famous corridor scene, slit wrists, slit throats...yeah looks watered down

I'vevnever ever thought, as soon as a remake was mentioned' that the ending would stay, I'll happily be proven wrong but I just cant see it, but that's fine with me. Im interested to see what they do with it. It certainly won't take away my love for the original so I can't see what peoples problems are. Its like if Bieber covered your favourite song...does it really effect (affect? ) you in any way or diminish your feelings for the original? Of course it doesn't. Folks need to get over the fact that Hollywood makes remakes. Id rather see them take on a brave remake like this, than churn out stuff like Battleship

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 16
Why? Why? Why? - 11/7/2013 10:47:07 PM   
Bagpuss5

Old Boy was my fav film of all time. Let's remake it they said because American audiences can't read and watch at the same time. And from the looks of the trailer it looks awful. Trashy, Americanised, sanitised, rubbish. And Josh Brolin is a woeful substitute for Choi Min-Sik. Why oh why!

Post #: 17
RE: Why? Why? Why? - 12/7/2013 2:10:34 AM   
pythonlove

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bagpuss5

Old Boy was my fav film of all time. Let's remake it they said because American audiences can't read and watch at the same time. And from the looks of the trailer it looks awful. Trashy, Americanised, sanitised, rubbish. And Josh Brolin is a woeful substitute for Choi Min-Sik. Why oh why!

Hate to break it to you but British audiences are just as allergic to subtitled foreign films as American mainstream audiences. This just in: There are stupid people everywhere. Don't cry.

(in reply to Bagpuss5)
Post #: 18
RE: Why? Why? Why? - 12/7/2013 11:09:43 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: pythonlove

Hate to break it to you but British audiences are just as allergic to subtitled foreign films as American mainstream audiences. This just in: There are stupid people everywhere. Don't cry.

Slight whiff of bullshit to this post, I'm afraid. I think it's more of a case of studios assuming that audiences are stupid and distributors of foreign films just not giving them a chance to experience mainstream exposure.

There have been a small number of subtitled films breaking out into the mainstream. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon; Amelie; Untouchable.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to pythonlove)
Post #: 19
RE: Why? Why? Why? - 12/7/2013 11:53:41 AM   
big dawg

And calling people stupid for not watching a subtitled film is sweeping and very snobbish.

And again, for the naysayers of whom there seems to be plenty, how does it look sanitised? Or trashy? And why is Brolin an awful substitute? How do you know this. No wonder I rarely look in these parts of the forum. ...I should know by now not to bite

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 20
RE: Why? Why? Why? - 12/7/2013 6:14:00 PM   
pythonlove

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Slight whiff of bullshit to this post, I'm afraid. I think it's more of a case of studios assuming that audiences are stupid and distributors of foreign films just not giving them a chance to experience mainstream exposure.

There have been a small number of subtitled films breaking out into the mainstream. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon; Amelie; Untouchable.

You must be smelling your own post. Mainstream audiences, whether in the US or the UK, do not attend subtitled movies the way they do films in English. The numbers overwhelmingly prove that. It's their loss and, yes, a sign of narrowminded parochialism. If you dispute that fact, you're wrong. Thankfully some films do break through and hopefully people are getting more international in their tastes, but this myth that it is only the US that has a "problem" with subtitles is the real bullshit.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: Why? Why? Why? - 12/7/2013 6:33:50 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

You must be smelling your own post. Mainstream audiences, whether in the US or the UK, do not attend subtitled movies the way they do films in English. The numbers overwhelmingly prove that. It's their loss and, yes, a sign of narrowminded parochialism. If you dispute that fact, you're wrong. Thankfully some films do break through and hopefully people are getting more international in their tastes, but this myth that it is only the US that has a "problem" with subtitles is the real bullshit.

I won't dispute the fact that there are some who won't watch foreign simply because they're foreign and have subtitles, but I will dispute your sweeping generalisations. I just think you're being a tad unfair to cinema goers in general.

People really aren't given a much of a choice at the cinemas. I had to travel 20 miles to London to see Let the Right One In because my local cinema saw fit to dedicate most of their screens to Fast & Furious 4. Now I'm not saying LTROI would've kicked F&F4 ass at the box office, but it might have done much more if the distributor and cinemas didn't underestimate people. Same could be said for other subtitled films and more left-field fare.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/7/2013 6:35:41 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to pythonlove)
Post #: 22
RE: Why? Why? Why? - 12/7/2013 7:22:28 PM   
pythonlove

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

I won't dispute the fact that there are some who won't watch foreign simply because they're foreign and have subtitles, but I will dispute your sweeping generalisations. I just think you're being a tad unfair to cinema goers in general.

People really aren't given a much of a choice at the cinemas. I had to travel 20 miles to London to see Let the Right One In because my local cinema saw fit to dedicate most of their screens to Fast & Furious 4. Now I'm not saying LTROI would've kicked F&F4 ass at the box office, but it might have done much more if the distributor and cinemas didn't underestimate people. Same could be said for other subtitled films and more left-field fare.

I don't disagree with this - at all. I wish studios would put their distribution weight behind the "best" foreign films (for a start) and really push them, instead of just rushing to remake them...badly. Some people need to be exposed to international films, so they can find out how good they are and get over whatever lazy prejudice they have. Others just need to be told where they can find them! I live in a city with a handful of art house theatres, but the advertising is almost nil and too often the theatres practically empty. To the point where I worry about their survival. There needs to be a better promotional push and for that you need big companies getting into distributing. I agree with both sides of the argument - some people are "stupid" about subtitles ("I don't want to read" - oh gimme a break, you don't even notice it after a couple minutes) but studios do underestimate people's ability to adapt and their desire to see things that are fresh and different. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

< Message edited by pythonlove -- 12/7/2013 7:26:42 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 23
Thanks for showing the WHOLE premise... - 12/7/2013 7:46:49 PM   
kielerkai

I hate these trailers.... ----- In other news, I love Josh Brolin in everything he's in plus I love R-rated stuff, so this might work even though I know the Korean original.

Post #: 24
- 12/7/2013 9:40:08 PM   
clarkkent

Looks cool. One of the few movies that could easily work remade. That said, the hammer sequence looks like it might have been just ripped off directly. That said, looks like they're too chicken to do the original flick's twist, unless it's an intentional double bluff to fuck with those who've seen the original.

Post #: 25
Don't know what everyone's complaining about. - 15/7/2013 8:08:04 AM   
Paxton

Looks great. If you don't like it, don't watch it. You'll always have the original (which I found too impersonal to enjoy).

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Oldboy Red Band Trailer Up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI