Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The World's End

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The World's End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The World's End - 29/7/2013 11:25:32 PM   
Hood_Man

I quite liked it.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 91
RE: The World's End - 30/7/2013 9:20:27 AM   
Invader_Ace

I loved it, I think it's their best yet.  Pegg played King as the sort of friend we have all had at some point, basically a massive tool, but you keep them around because you never know where their energy is going to take you.

I absolutely loved Frost in this, he was brilliant as an action hero lead, I applauded that first toilet room brawl!  I really disagree with some previous comments, I never once felt the film was going on a bit or that it lost the plot and I don't understand the reservations over the end or ending coda.  I mean, if you think about it, everything that happens is forshadowed right from the beginning, even the title of the film.

I thought the ending was very british and in keeping with home-grown sci-fi like Hitchhikers and Red Dwarf.

Some people have said that the action was hard to follow, I am baffled by this.  I actually thought it was good to see a film where you can follow what is happening and the geography of a scene.  I loved the use of massive WWF Style back-breakers and slams!

SPOILER DISCUSSION  TO FOLOW!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench
quote:

ORIGINAL: scary_ice
quote:

ORIGINAL: gordonsalive
As already said by someone earlier, character deaths weren't really dealt with, you know those characters we've just spent so much time with and got to like! And that bloody ending, SPOILERS BELOW!!
I'm fine with everything up until King and the robo guys walk into the bar and then King becomes what looks like a murderer of humans because they wont serve him! What the hell is that all about? Am I missing something? Shaun and Fuzz both had great endings but this is awful. Hopefully they'll remove it from the directors cut

SPOILERS
Therefore Gary has kind of become a champion of the underdogs and the ostracised in society which seems a pretty cool ending for his character to me. I did find it kind of strange on first watch but the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

SPOILERS FOR THE WORLDS END, SHAUN OF THE DEAD AND HOT FUZZ
Well, the ending was a very clumsy take on racism. And Gary isn't a hero for the underdog, he has become a murderer, he'd rather kill humans now than aliens, the violence has taken him over.... And as for the deaths of two major characters, they meant nothing. Sam asks about her brother and King says 'I'll tell you on the way' which, as a character, was pretty shitty. He had no redemption at all, he started as a dickhead and ended as one.

[SPOILER]So what if he has become a murderer?  It's apost-apocalypic waste land.  Gary's ending is that he has got to be young forever, surrounded by his friends, literally sticking it to the man.  Which is all he ever wanted to do.  You may be right that he has not grown, but that's sort of the point, that unlike the others, if you don't grow you get left behind.  Stuck in a rut.  You might be happy, but not all you can be.  It's similar to Ed's story in Shaun.

With regard to Oliver's death, I think you guys are right that you don't feel anything, but I would argue that you aren't supposed to.  Oliver was already a robot before he was a robot.  He had already used science to make himself into a perfect version of himself by removing his birthmark, the thing that kept him unique. He was constantly plugged into Network via his headset and would drift off from the real people around him.  It's made pretty clear that having half a head makes no difference to him at the end.  Again a sort of cautionary tale.

The other guy, name escapes me at the moment.  He had to die to be reborn, it's clear that he is not involved in his life before hand, he was bullied and now he is controlled by his wife, his father and his kids.  However, after defeating the bully we see that he "as a blank" as conversly improved himself and now is involved with his kids and those around him.[/SPOILERS]

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 92
RE: The World's End - 31/7/2013 11:52:09 PM   
Private Hudson

Still not as funny as Shaun of the Dead or Paul.

Please for their next film forget an angry mob/horde of zombies/alien robots/weirdo townsfolk and give us something a bit different.

I do laugh when they talk of Three Colours Cornetto Trilogy. Just pretentious poppycock.

Krzysztof Kieslowski will be spinning in his grave!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 93
Very disappointing - 10/8/2013 11:01:32 AM   
sunflies

Dull characters, dull script (except for some good one-liners towards the end); I really can't understand all this pyschophantic behaviour. I love Pegg/Frost/Wright, but this isn't a patch on any of their previous output. Maybe this is art imitating life as they seem to have grown apart, like the central characters, and the spark is gone.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 94
A Shame - 11/8/2013 11:18:42 PM   
Limeylove

Remember that party you went to a few years back that was amazing (Shaun of the Dead)? so much so that when another party comes along (Hot Fuzz) you go along in the hopes that it will be just as magical. The second party turns out to be pretty good but nothing as awesome as the first. A few good laughs and some impressive action scenes set an original tone that makes you want to talk about it with your mates again.
Skip a few more years later and someone has the idea of throwing a party in honour of the first.... Oh dear. It seems that the magic of originality has been lost and we're left with a party that has nothing but regulars, dried crisps and wrinkly balloons. A few jovial laughs along the way, some haughty recalls of the past but ultimately nothing as impressive as the first.
The bond between The two main characters doesn't seem as moving this trip - perhaps we have seen it one too many times? Good, but not great. Like a store own brand of ice cream trying to be more.

Post #: 95
Better than expected - 15/8/2013 2:49:39 PM   
ackland

Went expecting a few cheap laughs, came out chuckling and slightly melancholy. The film proceeds at a sharp pace, which generally works well, though does skate over some issues, eg the developing love interest. The humour is sustained and often laugh out loud, not based on juvenile antics but the dry self parody behind the frustrated disconnection between the characters. Some proper themes in here about growing up (or not), lost promise and disappointment set to a nostalgic soundtrack and more than enough laughs. That'll do me.

Post #: 96
RE: The World's End - 26/8/2013 10:12:46 PM   
Ref

I can't quite decide what rating to give this film. This is mainly due to a (possibly) drunken woman laughing loudly at every-fucking-thing!! I'll have to re-watch when it's out on DVD, I think. I'd rank the Cornetto trilogy as Shaun first, Hot Fuzz second and World's End last. Of the jokes I did hear, some were funny but not hilarious.

3.5/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to ackland)
Post #: 97
RE: The World's End - 4/9/2013 9:18:40 AM   
George Vader

After the superb "Shaun Of The Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" its the third of the "Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy" from Nick Frost and Simon Pegg, and expectations were high, reviews positive (7.5 IMDB, 93% Rotten Tomatoes!) and a great premise. 20 years after attempting an epic Pub crawl, five childhood friends (all begrudgingly, except one) reunite to take on the drinking marathon one more time.

It's gonna be a classic, isn't it? Well sadly no. Don't get me wrong, it's funny and entertaining and has a great 90's soundtrack but I was expecting so much more. The first problem is the characters. Great cast (Pegg, Martin Freeman, Paddy Constantine, Eddy Marson etc) but all their characters are pretty unlikeable, dour, seemingly stuck in a midlife crisis, in fact Peggs character Gary King is fairly loathsome throughout the entire movie. The biggest problem is that yes there are funny moments, but nothing jumps out at you, you feel its a one watch movie, something you couldn't say about the previous two, both of which were snapped up on dvd pronto.

Worth a watch yes, but ultimately, due to it's writers pedigree, ultimately slightly a disappointment.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 5/9/2013 1:20:10 PM >

my movie blog www.drunkenmovieramblings.co.uk

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 98
RE: The World's End - 5/9/2013 1:28:06 PM   
ElephantBoy

Overall it kept me entertained and the cast were very good. However the longer it went on the more it dragged and some scenes needed to be more sharply edited. The weakest of the trilogy but still a fitting way to end it. Very likeable.

(in reply to George Vader)
Post #: 99
RE: underwhelmed - 14/11/2013 2:14:52 AM   
bozo

First viewing - 8.5/10. But second viewing 9.5/10. It certainly grows on you. Smart, funny, charming, poignant, action-packed, spectacular at times - what more do you need? And Nick Frost was absolutely phenomenal.
Maybe the third watching will be a 10.5/10 :)

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 100
RE: underwhelmed - 17/11/2013 1:29:51 PM   
CRUNT

A PILE OF SHIT.

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 101
CRAP - 10/12/2013 10:11:03 AM   
purplegnome

not funny at all

Post #: 102
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The World's End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI