Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The World's End

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The World's End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The World's End - 25/7/2013 10:34:49 PM   
Hood_Man

MOMMY DADDY STOP FIGHTING!!

Might see this tomorrow, been away for almost a week and I'm dreading to think how many uncultured bottoms have ruined the ass groove on my favourite seat.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 61
RE: The World's End - 25/7/2013 10:46:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I'm detecting an Ice Man/Maverick type homoerotic electricity between Olaf and The Bench.

Aw, MC, you know I only have eyes for you

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 62
RE: The World's End - 25/7/2013 11:56:27 PM   
MonsterCat

At the risk of starting this little debacle all over again, I never saw Nicholas Angel as a fascist.

Even though at the end he uses tougher tactics against the bad guys, he still had the moral high ground by just injuring them and then imprisoning them. To me, a fascist is someone like Stallone in the last Rambo film, who basically bloodily mows down anyone who gets in his way. Then there's the other kind of fascist who insists that you must watch 91 Total Recall instead of that one with the uncouth scumbag.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 25/7/2013 11:57:12 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 63
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:00:14 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf
If you don't want to discuss the film, which you clearly do not, find another thread to post in. It's really simple.

I can post where I want, thanks. Also, I posted my opinion of the film in the review thread for the film, I didn't really think I needed to say much else. And I wasn't being patronising at all. It is easy to misinterpret text in a thread, isn't it? We all do it.

I know you didn't need to say much else, that's why you didn't need to keep posting. It required literally one post to post your opinion of the film, beyond that it was multiple posts about your refusal to discuss it further.

Has anyone else seen the film? I'd like to discuss it with someone. What did people make of the film being a commentary on the guys' body of work as a whole?

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

At the risk of starting this little debacle all over again, I never saw Nicholas Angel as a fascist.

Even though at the end he uses tougher tactics against the bad guys, he still had the moral high ground by just injuring them and then imprisoning them. To me, a fascist is someone like Stallone in the last Rambo film, who basically bloodily mows down anyone who gets in his way. Then there's the other kind of fascist who insists that you must watch 91 Total Recall instead of that one with the uncouth scumbag.

That's how I took it as well. There's even the recurring crossword 'fascist'/'hag' joke to drive the point home, as it's the NWA who use the tactics you describe to make the town conform to its external appearance as the perfect town.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 64
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:09:58 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you don't want to discuss the film, which you clearly do not, find another thread to post in. It's really simple.

I can post where I want, thanks. Also, I posted my opinion of the film in the review thread for the film, I didn't really think I needed to say much else. And I wasn't being patronising at all. It is easy to misinterpret text in a thread, isn't it? We all do it.

I know you didn't need to say much else, that's why you didn't need to keep posting. It required literally one post to post your opinion of the film, beyond that it was multiple posts about your refusal to discuss it further.

I was replying to you, though, your posts required a response.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 65
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:21:33 AM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was replying to you, though, your posts required a response.

They did indeed require a response. If only the posts said something other than 'I'm not responding' repeatedly.

'I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.'

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 66
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:28:10 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

They did indeed require a response. If only the posts said something other than 'I'm not responding' repeatedly.

No, they said 'I don't need to respond because I don't care if you disagree with me or not'. In order for me to engage in a conversation about what you thought of my opinion, I actually have to give a toss about it. Anyway, I am sure you will agree, this got boring long ago so I hope you get the conversation about the film you desire, Olaf.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 67
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:37:04 AM   
MonsterCat

Don't make me bang your heads together, you two.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 68
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:40:25 AM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

No, they said 'I don't need to respond because I don't care if you disagree with me or not'. In order for me to engage in a conversation about what you thought of my opinion, I actually have to give a toss about it. Anyway, I am sure you will agree, this got boring long ago so I hope you get the conversation about the film you desire, Olaf.

Yes, that's what I said. Saying 'I don't need to respond' whilst responding about fifteen times doesn't look good.

And if not-responding-responding without a single attempted on-topic post got boring for you long ago, I'm not sure what the point was in wasting your own time and mine (though to be fair, I got started on my thesis so it's not all bad), beyond a pseudo-badass 'I'll post where I want man' stance that's simply cutting off your nose to spite your face. And yes, hopefully I can finally discuss the film on a thread in a film discussion forum dedicated to discussion of the film.

Post #: 69
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:43:26 AM   
Olaf

Monstercat my old friend. What did you think of the film? Did you think it was tonally consistent with Shaun and Hot Fuzz, or do you think the less overtly parodic tone made it seem a little out of place? (of course, I wouldn't necessarily consider Shaun a parody either, so maybe Fuzz is the odd one out.)

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 70
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:44:08 AM   
MonsterCat

Obviously you can't see me do it but I just pulled my cock out in an attempt to break the tension.

I'm fucking barmy, me.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 71
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:49:43 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

And if not-responding-responding without a single attempted on-topic post got boring for you long ago, I'm not sure what the point was in wasting your own time and mine (though to be fair, I got started on my thesis so it's not all bad), beyond a pseudo-badass 'I'll post where I want man' stance that's simply cutting off your nose to spite your face. And yes, hopefully I can finally discuss the film on a thread in a film discussion forum dedicated to discussion of the film.

What the actual flying fuck, man? You are reading into things that aren't there- 'pseudo-badass'? You suggested I not post here! What right do you have to do that? I did actually post about the bloody film so I have the right to be here the same as you. My last post was a 'I'm leaving this thread', but then you go and post that? How can you read what you are posting and not see you are being a bit of a tit right now? I have tried to leave this conversation may times but you keep responding with these petty little snide comments so how can I not reply?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 72
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 12:56:41 AM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

What the actual flying fuck, man? You are reading into things that aren't there- 'pseudo-badass'? You suggested I not post here! What right do you have to do that? I did actually post about the bloody film so I have the right to be here the same as you. My last post was a 'I'm leaving this thread', but then you go and post that? How can you read what you are posting and not see you are being a bit of a tit right now? I have tried to leave this conversation may times but you keep responding with these petty little snide comments so how can I not reply?

I suggested you not post in this thread for no reason other than the fact that you didn't want to discuss the film. It's literally nothing to do with me beyond the fact that there are numerous threads discussing things you want to discuss. At which point you then say 'I can post where I want, thanks' followed by another off-topic post. Seriously, what's the point? What are you getting out of it? Do you not see how your repeated posting is ruining this thread for people who want to discuss the film?

Seriously, I don't give a shit whatsoever. I just want to talk about the film. Find another thread, send PMs if you must, I genuinely don't care. And you're in no position whatsoever to talk about 'petty snide comments' or 'being a bit of a tit'.

Post #: 73
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 1:00:14 AM   
Olaf

On-topic post: It's been interesting to watch how Wright's direction of action scenes has developed since Spaced. I know it divides people, but I think Scott Pilgrim vs the World really opened up his visual vocabulary in a way that didn't have an explicit influence on the look of TWE, but really made this look like an Edgar Wright film instead of, say, a Tony Scott-style film or a Sam Raimi-style film. Having seen the Ant-Man test footage, looking forward to see where he takes it next.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 74
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 1:01:30 AM   
Shifty Bench

I apologise to everyone who wants to talk about the film. I enjoyed the fight scenes and I liked that some things didn't happen they way you thought they would initially (who got the girl for example). The soundtrack was pretty good too.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 26/7/2013 1:20:37 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 75
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 2:52:17 PM   
No Diggity

passive aggressive anyone.....on the film,,,anyone else reminded of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy....

Post #: 76
RE: The World's End - 26/7/2013 2:53:32 PM   
No Diggity

...that hitchhikers ref in relation to the alien encounter at the end....

(in reply to No Diggity)
Post #: 77
RE: The World's End - 27/7/2013 8:00:14 PM   
sangypange

Not sure how in the minority i am here but i thought the ending was great, actually i loved the whole film, in a massive spaces fan, i loved the other two films...more so than this movie. But it doesn't stop how much i enjoyed it, also kudos for making this film so different to others and it was a brave move to make the lead character slightly annoying but with a slight charm

(in reply to No Diggity)
Post #: 78
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 11:53:14 AM   
Rgirvan44

I rather liked it.

NO ONE BETTER RESPOND TO THIS STATEMENT AND TRY AND ASK ME TO EXPAND ON THIS POINT.

Thank you.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sangypange)
Post #: 79
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 12:50:18 PM   
Deviation

Could you please expand this point?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 80
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 1:10:53 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I rather liked it.

NO ONE BETTER RESPOND TO THIS STATEMENT AND TRY AND ASK ME TO EXPAND ON THIS POINT.

Thank you.

Stop possessing Rgirvan's corporeal body, spirit of Pauline Kael.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 28/7/2013 1:15:04 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 81
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 3:20:40 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I rather liked it.

Thank you.

Ok.........that was funny

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 3:23:30 PM   
horribleives

So writing 'm8' is perfectly acceptable but calling the pictures 'the flicks' makes you a bell-end? Hmm

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 83
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 4:03:41 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

So writing 'm8' is perfectly acceptable but calling the pictures 'the flicks' makes you a bell-end? Hmm

Nothing is worse than the word 'flicks'. Nothing at all.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 84
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 4:07:11 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

It depends on the context and if you are doing it correctly.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 85
RE: The World's End - 28/7/2013 4:13:42 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

quote:

You're right. I have no issue with it being used a present-tense verb to describe flicking something.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 86
RE: The World's End - 29/7/2013 1:48:31 AM   
Private Hudson

It was ok and reasonably enjoyable though I do think this, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz have the same story really... whether it be zombies/town mob/alien robots it did have the same kind of villain/threat so it did feel a bit repetitive.

Probably on a par with Hot Fuzz but inferior to both Paul and Shaun of the Dead in my opinion.

Nick Frost is brilliant though. The bit where he takes them all on is hilarious.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 87
RE: The World's End - 29/7/2013 11:21:05 AM   
paulyboy

I thought it was pretty great, nicely paced, rather funny and a thoroughly enjoyable time at the cinema. It's not as instantly quotable or appealing as Shaun or Fuzz, mainly because the pastiche's aren't as obvious this time round, nor the characters as likable, but it's a fun time. The ending was rather unexpected also.

4/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 88
RE: The World's End - 29/7/2013 12:52:03 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

I thought it was pretty great, nicely paced, rather funny and a thoroughly enjoyable time at the cinema. It's not as instantly quotable or appealing as Shaun or Fuzz, mainly because the pastiche's aren't as obvious this time round, nor the characters as likable, but it's a fun time. The ending was rather unexpected also.

4/5

I agree with that as most of the references are for those of us who were in our teens in the late 1980s early 1990s. A bit like Family Guy! Seth MacFarlane packs his shows full of stuff younger people just won't have a scooby on.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 89
RE: The World's End - 29/7/2013 3:37:52 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

quote:

You're right. I have no issue with it being used a present-tense verb to describe flicking something.

Absolutely filthy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The World's End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI