Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The World's End

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The World's End Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The World's End - 9/7/2013 1:27:07 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 9/7/2013 1:27:07 PM   
coljohnmatrix

Could we have a review from Empire, just for a change, that doesn't spoil all of the best jokes? Giving away the best lines in a review before we've heard them spoken on screen robs a bit of their impact.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 9/7/2013 1:40:08 PM   
Paxton

I don't mind the odd joke being spoilt. I expect the film to be full of funny beats, so missing two or three isn't the end of the world (not intended). Besides, as pointed out, what really makes this movie (and the other two Cornetto films) tick is not the humour, but the heart.

Be thankful you haven't read the Telegraph review. That manages to lay out most of the plot and key resolutions, including possible twists. Wish I hadn't read it.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to coljohnmatrix)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 9/7/2013 3:25:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

But is it better than Expendables 2?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 9/7/2013 8:57:17 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I'm shocked and appalled that this is worse than Attack of the Clones.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: The World's End - 9/7/2013 11:03:09 PM   
MonsterCat

I think this will be on top of the must see list for a certain Slyvester Stallone fan.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 6
RE: The World's End - 10/7/2013 7:59:40 AM   
UTB

The review is a bit "lol there's this one bit where Pegg says this", but still, looking forward to it. I had hoped it was different from the other 2, just as Fuzz differed from Shaun.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 7
RE: The World's End - 10/7/2013 10:03:32 PM   
pythonlove

The first review I have found, from Variety. Sounds like a winner.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-the-worlds-end-1200556768/

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 11/7/2013 8:42:16 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Well if it's as awful as Scott Pilgrim, then there's no way it'll be anywhere near as good as Expendables 2.
If it's as good as Hot Fuzz it'll be about the same in quality as Expendables 2.
If it's as good as Shaun Of The Dead it'll be a bit better than Expendables 2.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 11/7/2013 10:48:09 AM   
elab49

Rgirvan, we will ban you so fast your head will spin you trolling troll person

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 10
RE: - 11/7/2013 1:17:46 PM   
spideed2

quote:

ORIGINAL: coljohnmatrix
Could we have a review from Empire, just for a change, that doesn't spoil all of the best jokes? Giving away the best lines in a review before we've heard them spoken on screen robs a bit of their impact.

This...

please Empire any chance of this? Do you really need to talk about the best lines specifically? Cant you describe the comedic tone of the film without it?

I am not a big spoiler-phobe person but this irks me, sorry.

(in reply to coljohnmatrix)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 11/7/2013 4:17:02 PM   
Dannybohy

Its been taken down!! power to you people!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 19/7/2013 6:39:18 AM   
filmtrout

It's pretty darn great.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/7/2013 5:00:21 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 19/7/2013 4:15:26 PM   
Shifty Bench

I liked it, I enjoyed the fight scenes but holy crap, that ending is a bit shite. Also, the constant joking by King makes the bits where we are supposed to care pretty redundant.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to filmtrout)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 19/7/2013 4:37:27 PM   
ongbakdan

I enjoyed it and there is some very funny lines and moments. I'm sure for me, like with hot fuzz, it will grow on me with repeat viewings. But the ending was very poo as a previous poster mentioned.

Particularly liked there drunken discussion about what to call 'them' :)

8/10

How far would you go to get your answers? What would you be willing to do?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 20/7/2013 12:26:00 AM   
Kayotik

I love Empire magazine for all the features and such, but their reviews are just getting far too predictable. Before coming on here I knew they'd have given it 4 stars, because unfortunately Empire have turned into Fanboys of Pegg and Wright where they can do no wrong.
It's just like any of their favourite actors or directors will almost automatically get a high rating.

Especially if it's a blockbuster that has Christopher Nolan somehow involved, Empire will give it 4 stars.

Anyway on the subject, I found The World's End to be pretty dull. Pegg's character was painfully annoying and the little sympathy they tried to draw for him came in the way of a throw-away moment that felt cheap and insulting.
Character deaths were glossed over and there was never a balance between comedy and seriousness. The fights at first were impressive but quickly became repetitive.
And I'm sure they had no idea how to end that.

All in all it was the usual case where Pegg acts like the fool and the supporting cast get the bigger laughs.

(in reply to ongbakdan)
Post #: 16
A Slice of Fried Gold. - 20/7/2013 12:54:15 AM   
DMonkey77

ONLY 4 STARS!!!! your kidding.
Film of the year 5/5

Post #: 17
12 pints? Amateur hour. - 20/7/2013 6:14:15 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

I enjoyed it thoroughly, although while the concept isn't particularly high, Wright's execution of it just might be.
As a standalone film, The World's End is pretty good. As the conclusion to a trilogy, it's pretty great.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 18
RE: The World's End - 20/7/2013 6:48:44 PM   
jrewing1000

I did enjoy it. It goes a bit crazy towards the end (I wont spoil anything), and it seems like the writers took their eye off the ball a little with the final act. I kinda stopped caring at various points.

But they are an entertaining bunch.

I have to say though, I'm starting to find Simon Pegg's acting a little TOO polished and perfect. Does anyone else think that? I just don't believe it, instead I see a man performing.

Post #: 19
RE: The World's End - 20/7/2013 7:47:38 PM   
Groovy Mule

It's ok ... But nothing more than that. Ultimately it wasn't funny enough for me, certainly nothing like as funny as either Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, both of which I really liked. Many of the jokes fell flat in the audience with which i saw the film. There were also a few production issues for me - Wright is aiming for some kind of Bourne-a-like quick editing of the fight scenes but I found that style distracting and made it difficult to follow what's going on. There are also some strange CGI effects with the twins - in this way the film is similar to This Is The End where the budget for effects seems to run out before the end. Whilst the effects are generally better here, the odd misstep grates if you're struggling to find the funny in it!

Pegg's character is, frankly, a dick and it is brave to have such an unlikeable character as the lead. Again I think it would matter less if I'd laughed more.

Go with low expectations and a group of mates and you may enjoy it. But you'll have more fun at home with a beer and a DVD of Hot Fuzz.

6/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 20
RE: The World's End - 21/7/2013 3:32:13 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

I have to say though, I'm starting to find Simon Pegg's acting a little TOO polished and perfect. Does anyone else think that? I just don't believe it, instead I see a man performing.

In all honesty, I've found him to be like that all along. As likeable as his characters are (Spaced/Shaun/Fuzz/End), they're all pretty tight variations on himself, and the less said about his acting outside of Wright's productions the better.

If anyone's worthy of a second glance, it's Nick Frost. In the above titles he's played markedly different characters, and does the (admittedly somewhat light) heavy lifting. For a guy who chanced into screen-work, he's putting a lot of his co-stars to shame.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 21
RE: The World's End - 21/7/2013 8:14:06 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMightyBlackout
If anyone's worthy of a second glance, it's Nick Frost. In the above titles he's played markedly different characters, and does the (admittedly somewhat light) heavy lifting. For a guy who chanced into screen-work, he's putting a lot of his co-stars to shame.

I wouldn't mess with the guy, that's for sure. Out of all the cast during the fight scenes, I believed that he could kick my arse the most.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 22
RE: The World's End - 21/7/2013 8:23:27 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMightyBlackout

I wouldn't mess with the guy, that's for sure. Out of all the cast during the fight scenes, I believed that he could kick my arse the most.

And with his next film he will show he is light on his feet as well...

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 23
RE: The World's End - 21/7/2013 12:11:02 PM   
Whistler

I thought it was fine but it lacked something that Shaun and Fuzz have. Slightly less funny, slightly less fun, slightly less special. That shift in tone referred to in the review didn't quite work for me, and the fence gag drew zero laughs (probably because it was spoiled in the trailer). A bit disappointing if I'm honest.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 17/11/2013 10:13:46 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 24
RE: The World's End - 21/7/2013 9:30:55 PM   
gordonsalive

I liked it but not as funny as I'd hoped. Shaun I loved on first viewing and went straight in as one of my all time favourite comedies, Fuzz I wasn't sure at first but now love it, I'm hoping End grows on me the same way. That said, there are a couple of things that bugged me. There didn't seem to be any breathing space between jokes and also those moments of reflection. As already said by someone earlier, character deaths weren't really dealt with, you know those characters we've just spent so much time with and got to like! And that bloody ending, SPOILERS BELOW!!

I'm fine with everything up until King and the robo guys walk into the bar and then King becomes what looks like a murderer of humans because they wont serve him! What the hell is that all about? Am I missing something? Shaun and Fuzz both had great endings but this is awful. Hopefully they'll remove it from the directors cut

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 25
The World's End - 22/7/2013 1:27:02 AM   
Chukensky

A very direct film when it comes to the comedic side of things, other than that, an extremely fun film, great flow, no boring parts. One thing that disappointed me was the ending, I mean, C'mon, a great film so far just end up with practically the one thing they were trying to prevent ? I was expecting more, not a "happily ever after ending" but a similar ending to Shaun of the dead or Fuzz. Other than that absolutely brilliant, funniest of all three film but very direct, doesn't go out to everyone's funny bones but to my funny bone, It was destroyed, I was full with laughter. Definitely a 4 star, maybe a better ending could push to the 5s.

Post #: 26
RE: The World's End - 22/7/2013 9:02:36 AM   
jrewing1000

Having given it some more thought over the weekend, the best way I can describe this film is an extremely polished cartoon show. It's not believable at all, but it's a lot of fun.

(in reply to Chukensky)
Post #: 27
RE: The World's End - 22/7/2013 9:12:25 AM   
Teresa76

Thank god it is better than hot fuzz.It isn't supposed to be Shakespeare it is just a bit of fun which it does very well yes the ending was crap and isn't as good as Shaun of the dead at least it is better than most of the shit that is out like despicable me 2

Post #: 28
underwhelmed - 22/7/2013 10:00:51 AM   
bretty

Just not funny or clever enough for me. It did have it's moments but not to the level of either Sean or Fuzz. Was hoping for a lot more and it ended up being just so-so for me.

Post #: 29
underwhelmed - 22/7/2013 10:00:54 AM   
bretty

Just not funny or clever enough for me. It did have it's moments but not to the level of either Sean or Fuzz. Was hoping for a lot more and it ended up being just so-so for me.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The World's End Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI