Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER.....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 4:30:34 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: londonnut

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I went in for the action but it was a mess and yes it WAS hard to follow and engage with.

Which bits?

quote:

(the supposedly climactic sea duel was the least spectacular with nothing to set the scale)

We already had multiple opportunities to scale Gypsy Danger and Striker Eureka (both in Hong Kong and Sydney). The final fight, then, has the Cat 5 scaled against them, as it is presumably assuming the audience remembers what it saw a few minutes back.

Lol! That's OK then! Yeah silly me I should've been considering scale from previous scenes instead of the one I'm ACTUALLY watching! The point wasn't about what's come before but how the lack of scaling IN THE ACTUAL SCENE undermined the supposedly 'epic' size of the designs. The defence of this crap is getting more laughable. That sea battle was a mess and far less impressive and coherent than the initial prologue. You guys saw what you saw (and no doubt mopped yourself up with some kleenex as the credits rolled) but instead of mess in my pants I saw it on screen. DREADFUL. No one will give a shit about this film in a year.

I don't think it's an issue of not liking the film, which is fair enough. It's just one of making unfair criticisms simply because you didn't like it. It's not as if they're going to run through every scene with a big ruler against the side to help people catch up.

Nevertheless I did ask another question. Engage with, fair enough - again that's a personal thing. But hard to follow? Which bits?

Thought the 'hard to follow' comment would be pretty self explanantory but if you need it broken down I am not - of course - referring to the perfunctury story or the matter of following who's fighting who but the ACTION itself. Hidden in darkness, a mass of creatures blindly rolling around and over each other grappling with a tangled mass of metal. The choreography seemed to be so completely erratic the 'bots and monsters might as well have been just dropped in washing machine set to high spin. A tangled, dark, UNSCALED mess.

Look, if you love this kind of thing good luck to you. But I was disappointingly underwhelmed. Been gunning for this film for a year but I just cannot defend it on any level (especially the visuals because that's why we all bought our tickets after all). Like I said I can forgive shitty acting, dialogue, even the entire story but for the action (apart from prologue) to be more than a bit 'meh' is a total let down (for me).

I'm genuinely beginning to wonder if some cinemas have been showing this oddly. I do know someone said a cinema did (having pointed out to the staff that the titles also had focus problems) but I've seen it in both 3D and 2D, my eyesight is far from perfect, and I had no problems in distinguishing between a metal robot and a living creature in fights that hardly took place in pitch darkness. I understand the point because it's one of my many criticisms of Transformers. I just don't get it for this film. I don't think it's a masterpiece, and I do think it's got quite a few problems. But that just isn't one of them.

It amazes me both the amount of times I go to the movies and the picture is out of focus/cropped/way too loud/too quiet AND at the fact I its always me who gets up to do something about it!. I swear I once went to watch a movie and the heads where all cut off!! and I deliberately left it a while to see if anyone was going to get up!. No one did and it was muggins here again! bloody British people! Then again almost all those occurrences happened at Bradford Cineworld! lol useless

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 23/7/2013 4:34:21 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 121
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 4:42:27 PM   
elab49

I think I've been fairly lucky in that regard. A couple where subs/audio had gone astray. And Showcase left the lights on by mistake for Monsters University last week!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 122
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 5:00:19 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

I think I've been fairly lucky in that regard. A couple where subs/audio had gone astray. And Showcase left the lights on by mistake for Monsters University last week!

Vue in Halifax is slightly better! but you have to bend over as soon as you buy a ticket! and you need a small loan to watch a 3D movie.

Anyway! Pacific Rim was the most fun I have had at the cinema this year..so far!.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 123
The Summer of Meh - 23/7/2013 9:28:05 PM   
Ballschin

Just seen it, and this joins MOS and IM3 in the "was obscenely excited but the film turned out average" stakes. I wasn't appalled, but I certainly wasn't blown away. Was kind of hoping for a bit more, the characters were all cliche, the acting was wooden (particularly the main guy), the action was ok but annoyingly always set at night.

Because of its relatively poor box office numbers they reckon it might not get a sequel and let's just say I won't lose any sleep over it.

Decent. 3 Stars.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 124
Spin off potential - 25/7/2013 12:47:37 AM   
Rogue

I loved this film. By far the most entertaining I've seen this year.
What I found interesting was the scope for an animated spin off similar to the Clone Wars for Star Wars. It would great to see the other Jaegers have the limelight...Crimson Fury looked cool but got next to no screen time; new characters and Jaegers before and after the first screen battle; Pentecost fighting in his Jaeger.
I would love to see that.
Your thoughts?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 125
RE: Spin off potential - 26/7/2013 3:05:30 PM   
No Diggity

most fun in the cinema this year.....but like the other blockbusters this summer, a bit of a letdown...

(in reply to Rogue)
Post #: 126
RE: Spin off potential - 29/7/2013 1:44:12 AM   
Private Hudson

Ok so logic does go out the window (why not use the sword all the time?) but for a summer blockbuster it was fun and even though it really is Transformers v Dinosaurs it did feel a bit different and new.

The film looked superb, but I do think the design of both the Kaiju and the Jaegers could have been a bit more differentiated as they sometimes looked a bit the same.

The speech Idris Elba gives was a crossover between Independence Day and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves!

Great fun.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to No Diggity)
Post #: 127
Rimmed - 30/7/2013 1:04:08 AM   
Jonny24

Saw this in Amsterdam and no amount of weed would have made the experience any better.

The movie's narrative is wrong. It should have started with the difficult process of building those things, including all the trial and error that must have happened. That '5 years later' crap is lame.

The monsters were said to be clones. So that ruined the chance of each one having any personality even further. No wonder they all looked the same. But if they were all clones, what was the point of one of them being pregnant?

And this must be the 5th or 6th movie this summer where the bad guys are taken out by a bomb or sabotage in disguise. Xerox must be doing well in Hollywood.

Post #: 128
Imax-tastic - 30/7/2013 1:06:48 AM   
johnny5_fitz

Seriously saw this in Imax 3D (made for this film) and I was pretty much up swinging punches myself. Sure its big and dumb, and when I watch on tv in a years time it will be half good but its a hell of a lot of fun. Ya the characters are one dimensional and cartoonish, but its a movie about giant robots fighting giant monster, cartoonish is where it belongs. Both my inner 12 year old and other 28 year old were throughly entertained from start to finish.

Also no mention of the excellent Charlie Day and Burn Gorman giving Michael Bay a lesson in comedy relief characters....

Post #: 129
RE: Imax-tastic - 30/7/2013 9:36:58 AM   
Dannybohy

I smell a PACIFIC RIM prequel on the way! ...

(in reply to johnny5_fitz)
Post #: 130
RE: Imax-tastic - 30/7/2013 2:05:31 PM   
galvatron

Mildly entertaining but nothing more for me. The effects were great but the characters were husks and it was so illogical it was stupid.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 131
RE: Imax-tastic - 30/7/2013 3:00:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

Only recently got around to seeing this and thought it was good fun.This was way better than any of Michael Bays shit Transformers movies since you could actually tell who was fighting who and the robot and creature designs were terrific.

Sure some of the dialogue and characters are cheesy but the fights are cool and the fx are excellent.Is it just me though or did that comedy relief scientist look and sound a LOT like JJ Abrams?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 132
RE: Imax-tastic - 30/7/2013 3:06:33 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Is it just me though or did that comedy relief scientist look and sound a LOT like JJ Abrams?

You're not the first person to think this. Although it's maybe just an odd coincidence rather than a deliberate parody performance, I did think that Charlie Day came across like JJ on amphetamines. What about Burn Gorman though - anybody else thinking Lee Evans pretending to be a crippled architect in There's Something About Mary?!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 133
RE: Imax-tastic - 30/7/2013 3:11:19 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Is it just me though or did that comedy relief scientist look and sound a LOT like JJ Abrams?

You're not the first person to think this. Although it's maybe just an odd coincidence rather than a deliberate parody performance, I did think that Charlie Day came across like JJ on amphetamines. What about Burn Gorman though - anybody else thinking Lee Evans pretending to be a crippled architect in There's Something About Mary?!

I think it wasnt just the performance but the whole look of the character, the hair and glasses were almost identical to JJ!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 134
RE: Imax-tastic - 30/7/2013 6:24:29 PM   
Private Hudson

I actually thought that also when I was watching it. Perhaps a wee in-joke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 135
RE: Imax-tastic - 31/7/2013 1:30:45 PM   
Private Hudson

Can someone clear up the bit about the dinosaurs too?

Was he saying the Kaiju were dinosaurs or did they fight the dinosaurs and lose due to the atmosphere?

I don't think it was explained too well in a throwaway line.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 136
RE: Imax-tastic - 31/7/2013 5:29:09 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Was he saying the Kaiju were dinosaurs or did they fight the dinosaurs and lose due to the atmosphere?

If memory serves, they said that they first came through a rift in the dinosaur period and that they are responsible for them being wiped out, but the atmospheric composition was not suitable. They waited, and with man coming along and pumping gases into the atmosphere with industrialisation we effectively terraformed the planet for them.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 137
RE: Imax-tastic - 31/7/2013 10:59:46 PM   
BigKovacs

I really enjoyed it but Jesus Christ only just! I didn't think the acting was too bad considering the script although the two scientists were the worst comic relief duo I've seen in years.

It was the logic that strained for me, I know it's been mentioned before but even for a monster flick it was terrible!

Why are coastal cities still populated.
Why dont they mine the rift.
Why don't they mine the shelf above and bury the fucker.
Why didn't the invaders send the big stuff through first, they've only had a few thousand years to prepare.
How can the humans sensors track the Jaegers in a other dimension!
Why build a wall when the Kaiju just lean on them?
For the worlds greatest remaining pilots they're all pretty much useless.
Why not use guns and swords off the bat.
Why bother with the drift link when the bots are controlled manually.
Why bother with a head on the bots when they don't appear to even look out of them, it would save those costly decapatations.
How can four chinooks carry a 1500 ton machine.
How can stick fighting guage people's psychic compatability.
How can someone be drunk enough to call a giant robot Gipsy Danger.
Why don't they just have jaegers posted around the rift at all times, it's not exactly a surprise where they're coming from, only when.
Why does a jaeger run out of oxygen in high atmosphere when they're designed to be used underwater.
Gipsy Danger is analoge? Really!!??

There's more and still I liked the bloody thing!

< Message edited by BigKovacs -- 31/7/2013 11:01:42 PM >

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 138
RE: Imax-tastic - 31/7/2013 11:47:37 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

quote:

If memory serves, they said that they first came through a rift in the dinosaur period and that they are responsible for them being wiped out, but the atmospheric composition was not suitable. They waited, and with man coming along and pumping gases into the atmosphere with industrialisation we effectively terraformed the planet for them.

That sounds about right! I did remember thinking that it did sound like the Kaiju were responsible for the dino extinction... but wasn't 100% sure and after googing some stuff there are a lot of confused people.

Thanks though as I think you are bang on with that.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 139
RE: Imax-tastic - 31/7/2013 11:49:56 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I really enjoyed it but Jesus Christ only just! I didn't think the acting was too bad considering the script although the two scientists were the worst comic relief duo I've seen in years.

It was the logic that strained for me, I know it's been mentioned before but even for a monster flick it was terrible!

Why didn't the invaders send the big stuff through first, they've only had a few thousand years to prepare.
Why bother with a head on the bots when they don't appear to even look out of them, it would save those costly decapatations.
Why don't they just have jaegers posted around the rift at all times, it's not exactly a surprise where they're coming from, only when.
Why does a jaeger run out of oxygen in high atmosphere when they're designed to be used underwater.

Hahahahaha! Genius.

I have highlighted the ones I thought of too, but you have obviously been thinking hard! Keep them coming.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 140
RE: Imax-tastic - 1/8/2013 2:11:45 AM   
Hood_Man

Saw it again tonight, I didn't know there was a credits scene! Had to Youtube it

Ugh, guess this means I have to go see it again, to get the big screen experience of it and all. Oh the horror...

Post #: 141
RE: Imax-tastic - 1/8/2013 4:06:59 PM   
Private Hudson

What is it about does anyone know?

Also apparently it has been announced there WILL be a sequel.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/01/pacific-rim-primed-for-sequel-after-becoming-a-box-office-hit-in-china-3908037/?ITO=news-sitemap

The international box office seems to have done the trick for Hollywood, which obviously will be the trend in future with more and more cinemas opening in Asia.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 142
RE: Imax-tastic - 2/8/2013 9:34:17 AM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

What is it about does anyone know?

Also apparently it has been announced there WILL be a sequel.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/01/pacific-rim-primed-for-sequel-after-becoming-a-box-office-hit-in-china-3908037/?ITO=news-sitemap

The international box office seems to have done the trick for Hollywood, which obviously will be the trend in future with more and more cinemas opening in Asia.

The Credits scene is [spoiler] Ron Pearlman, blasting his way out of the creature's stomach and asking "where's my goddam shoe?!"[/spoiler]

Post #: 143
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 6/8/2013 5:13:46 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveTheStampede

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

The fight in the city and the bit with the girl and her shoe were highlights. But most of the fights were too dark to fully understand what was going on.
The big end fight was a mess of darkness and stupidity that made it hard to either see or care what was going on.

You know, I hear things like this a lot, and I'm beginning to think I just have a very special mind, because I had absolutely no trouble following the fights, nor any trouble understanding what was going on.

Anywho, I saw this film twice, and loved it to pieces both times. It was a far more interesting and entertaining spectacle than Man of Steel, the plot (such as there was) didn't annoy me anywhere near as much as Star Trek Into Darkness. Out of the three 'big' films I've seen this year, it's the only one I have any interest in adding to my personal collection. Yes, some of the acting was woeful, and some of the dialogue varied between laughable and painful, but, at the end of the day, it had mechas fighting monsters in quite a spectacular fashion. It gave me just about everything I could have wanted from such a movie, and I enjoyed every damn minute of it.

Amen!... and to anyone who can't follow a very simple yet awesome fight between two gigantic fucking monsters/Robot is either dim, needs glasses or was watching it on some camcorder pirate download version with man coughing all the way through it!

Most of my problems are with the underwater fight. City fight was clear enough (finally a scene with some actual lighting) and I didn't mind the early fights being obscured by darkness, rain and waves. I assumed they were just a taster of what to expect in the final battle. but instead it got increasingly dark (wearing fecking 3D glasses didn't help).

Mabye the ending wouldn't have annoyed me so much if the film had spent more time with the other crews and less with the Vanilla hero and his pointless love interest. at least then the fights would involve people i care about that aren't guarented to make it to the end of the film.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 144
RE: Imax-tastic - 9/8/2013 10:44:06 AM   
blackduck

quote:

They're building a giant wall to protect themselves, yet nobody seemed surprised when the Kaiju start to fly

I am but an egg.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 145
RE: Imax-tastic - 9/8/2013 3:05:06 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

quote:

They're building a giant wall to protect themselves, yet nobody seemed surprised when the Kaiju start to fly

I think they pretty much were. And it was supposed to be a surprise for the audience as well - certainly was in my case. And the existence of the wall does demonstrate none of the clone mutations had shown they could fly before and they made very clear the categories were ongoing developments of the kaiju, with the latter categories tending more to offence (a discussion specically had in the film). Also, the jaegers did not appear to have anything in their construct that would deal with possible flight or being grabbed and flown upwards. other than sturdy construction.

So I don't think that one is correct

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 146
RE: Imax-tastic - 13/8/2013 11:16:13 PM   
X Heart Tolle

Fantastic! Loved this post!!! Your list of logic straining events made me like the movie even more in retrospect.

quote:

quote:

Hahahahaha! Genius.

I have highlighted the ones I thought of too, but you have obviously been thinking hard! Keep them coming.

Post #: 147
Very Stylish Movie - 14/8/2013 9:48:54 PM   
soulfood

I love this movie, just a joy to see in IMAX. And a very good casts

Post #: 148
RE: Pacific Rim - 14/8/2013 11:58:33 PM   
dconev

Like some of the most iconic sci-fi blockbusters, Pacific Rim also has the advantage of appealing, archetypal characters and a story thatís both viscerally and emotionally engaging.

Post #: 149
One of the very best movies of the year! - 16/8/2013 2:49:33 PM   
Leif Pedersen

Loved this movie! What's wrong with Ian Nathan giving this only three stars? I'd give this movie 9 out of 10, Translated to the five star system it's five stars from me.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI