Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Pacific Rim

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Pacific Rim Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific Rim - 18/7/2013 3:10:53 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

If Pacific Rim was directed by Micheal Bay and did the same film, I would go and shake his hand for finally making the first thing really worth watching since The Rock.

You mean since Transformers clearly ...

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 91
RE: Pacific Rim - 18/7/2013 3:14:18 PM   
Deviation

Transformers is quite shit after the desert scenes end, so no, fuck no. Pain and Gain looks exploitative goodness though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 92
RE: Pacific Rim - 19/7/2013 8:52:56 AM   
Dannybohy

I'm off to see Pacific Rim this evening! :)

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 93
RE: Pacific Rim - 20/7/2013 6:45:21 PM   
Dannybohy

went to see it last night! thoroughly enjoyed it! wham bam thank you mam!!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 94
It was really good! - 20/7/2013 6:57:17 PM   
HulkySmashSmash

A 3 star movie elevated to 4 stars just because of that sequence when young Mako is chased through the empty city alone. Genuinely scary.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 95
RE: It was really good! - 22/7/2013 1:18:13 PM   
Invader_Ace

loved it.  1 Billion Stars out of five.

Would have liked to see a bit more of the Russian and Chinese Jeagers, but that's all.

(in reply to HulkySmashSmash)
Post #: 96
RE: Pacific Rim - 22/7/2013 1:47:52 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChudMonkey
6. There was an abundance of lapses of logic that I couldn't get past a) how did just 4 helicopters carry the huge Jaegers?

Del Toro and his production crew clearly felt that certain liberties could be taken with regard to physics and biology in service of story and visuals.  I thought that would be pretty obvious in a film about giant robots punching monsters in the face.

quote:

b) Why did no one else use their escape pods? ?

different circumstances.
quote:

c) Why did Gipsy Danger take so long to use it's sword?

It was made clear it was a new addition by the fact that only Mako knew about it, see also "in service of story/visceral thrills".

quote:

d) Why didn't Gipsy Danger seem to be affected at all by the nuclear explosion caused by Striker Eureka?

Because it is a gigantic robot.  Also built to withstand certain nuclear stresses, what with having two nuclear reactors itself, but mainly the gigantic robot thing.

quote:

e) Why did Idris Elba think he would be compatible to pilot Striker Eureka with Kazinsky? He seemed to have piloted with Herc Hanson in the past but it seemed fairly established that father and son were very different characters - surely the neural link between the two wouldn't have worked?

It was made clear he was a legendary pilot, able to pilot a jeager alone if needed, also his line "I take nothing into the drift".  He is basically a blank slate when piloting, essentially a stone cold professional.
quote:

f) Mako seemed to get over her inability to neural link successfully with Raleigh very quickly...surely he'd have been safer with someone else on such an important mission?

Err.. yes.  That was the point.  Y'know, drama.  She might not have been the technically best match, but she was "the best", due to her personal motivations and his feelings.  Also, the fact the incident was caused by them both bringing in baggage and sharing it, but now having seen those emotions from eachother they are now more matched.
quote:

g) How the fuck was one of the monsters pregnant - weren't they all clones and therefore had no need to breed? (and how did a baby who was not a clone have all the knowledge of his alien brethren to give Day and Gorman?)

Contrary to popular belief Dolly the sheep was not actually grown in a tube of glowing green goop.

quote:

h) Why didn't the Jaegers stand back at a safe distance and just blast the monsters? Hand to Hand combat seemed to be pretty risky (considering only one Jaeger is left by the end) bad military planning from Idris Elba's character?

Because it's a film about giant robots punching monsters in the face. With rockets.  In the Face.
quote:

i) Come to think of it, there's a lot of insubordination from various rank and file towards Elba's character. Surely a court marshal would be in order rather than the honour of piloting a Jaeger? Elba's character seems to be a pretty weak leader in all honesty

You just have differring management styles, that's all.
quote:

j) The Chinese Jaeger got beat pretty damn easily for something that was supposed to be the superior mecha? Wouldn't it have been better to have seen it go down in a blaze of glory unable to fend off countless monsters rather than getting bitch slapped by one?

That's just like your opinion, man.
quote:

k) How the fuck did that little boat at the start manage to stay afloat?
Good Captain and crew.  Not really important to the film.
quote:

l) Where did Ron Perlman get the knowhow to build the tech to neural link with a monster? And, if he did, is it all his fault that the monsters are still attacking - are they trying to find him? If so why did the baby eat him but the parent left Charlie Day alone? None of it makes sense!!!

I wasn't sure that he had made a neural link, I know which line you're refering to, but it was directly after he said he had a private shelter and wouldn't be going to a public one "I tried it once", so I thought that's what he meant. 
quote:

It worries me that we are truly lacking in any intelligent sci-fi currently. People seem happy to just go "yeah it doesn't make sense but it looks amazing" and of course Hollywood will be happy to keep delivering the same old schlock.

I'm sure there is a really great movie to be had from the premise and I actually thought there were glimpses of this in the pre-credits scenes. A movie about the pilots and their thirst for fame (and their eventual near-defeat) and the public's enchantment with the Kaiju (the toys / Day's tattoo / Perlman's whole business enterprise) would have had more emotional depth and fleshed out the idea of robots Vs monsters a whole lot better.

I think you make some good points here, concern about no more weighty sci-fi is fair enough, but it seems to me like you went in with expectations that this film was never going to address.  The Del Toro feature in the July Empire, where he speaks about the joy of the old Toho productions and childhood wonder he wanted to capture here, really hit the nail on the head of why this film turned out the way it did and why I loved it.

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 97
RE: Pacific Rim - 22/7/2013 2:03:31 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

f) Mako seemed to get over her inability to neural link successfully with Raleigh very quickly...surely he'd have been safer with someone else on such an important mission?

Err.. yes.† That was the point.† Y'know, drama.† She might not have been the technically best match, but she was "the best", due to her personal motivations and his feelings.† Also, the fact the incident was caused by them both bringing in baggage and sharing it, but now having seen those emotions from eachother they are now more matched.

quote:

h) Why didn't the Jaegers stand back at a safe distance and just blast the monsters? Hand to Hand combat seemed to be pretty risky (considering only one Jaeger is left by the end) bad military planning from Idris Elba's character?

Because it's a film about giant robots punching monsters in the face. With rockets.† In the Face.

quote:

†j) The Chinese Jaeger got beat pretty damn easily for something that was supposed to be the superior mecha? Wouldn't it have been better to have seen it go down in a blaze of glory unable to fend off countless monsters rather than getting bitch slapped by one?

That's just like your opinion, man.

quote:

l) Where did Ron Perlman get the knowhow to build the tech to neural link with a monster? And, if he did, is it all his fault that the monsters are still attacking - are they trying to find him? If so why did the baby eat him but the parent left Charlie Day alone? None of it makes sense!!!

I wasn't sure that he had made a neural link, I know which line you're refering to, but it was directly after he said he had a private shelter and wouldn't be going to a public one "I tried it once", so I thought that's what he meant.†
quote:

Last one - he was talking about the public shelter not the neural link.

The stand back one - there seemed to be limited shots in the plasma gun (expense, availability, sufficient charge reasons etc) and they'd made clear the new Cat 4s were weapons, not like the old ones. Standing back wasn't really an option. Kind of ditto for the Chinese Typhoon - it was pretty clear both these new Cat 4s had additional weapon capability (the melty stuff, the EMP).

Also, the different grades (Marshals, Rangers) was presumably a move away from strict martial control - I'm not sure the insubordination thing quite works in the set-up they created.

Mako had no problem neural linking with Raleigh - in fact, quite the opposite. The problem was he threw them out of alignment and she 'chased the rabbit' - ie got focussed on a single thought and couldn't get out of it.

Saw it again in lovely 2D - still enjoyed it. Nephew amusingly jumped very high when baby appeared

Also, many people seem unaware of the post-credit sting. Esp when - unlike Monsters University - you don't need to wait hours until the end of the credits for it.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 22/7/2013 2:04:26 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 98
RE: Pacific Rim - 22/7/2013 2:06:58 PM   
Deviation

I hope he gets his shoe back, it looked expensive.

Also, the Chinese Jeager was doing greatly, problem was they didn't focus on the tail.  

< Message edited by Deviation -- 22/7/2013 2:07:41 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 99
Whoo Hoo! - 22/7/2013 2:12:46 PM   
bruciebonus

What an entertaining film! Totally rocks..Loved it

Post #: 100
RE: Whoo Hoo! - 22/7/2013 2:29:02 PM   
Dannybohy

This is the first summer blockbuster in a long time that I plan to go an see again ! going to take my kids this time! they will love it! its like Power-rangers on acid in a very good way!!!

(in reply to bruciebonus)
Post #: 101
RE: Whoo Hoo! - 22/7/2013 2:42:30 PM   
elab49

Are you paid by exclamation mark?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 102
RE: Whoo Hoo! - 22/7/2013 2:44:28 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

Are paid by exclamation mark?

They pay!!!!! ?
Are you that bored?

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 22/7/2013 4:53:32 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 103
ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 22/7/2013 4:32:31 PM   
ROTGUT

It’s a bomb unfortunately. A one hundred and ninety million dollar Power Rangers episode with a plot that seems to have been written on the back of a postage stamp. Pacific Rim is a film where the robots themselves exhibit more real life and more personality than the humans who actually pilot them, with a story that plays out like warmed up spoon fed chunks of pablum for ten year olds. The clinking clanking ultra violence is the big selling point here and when it’s not on screen, I guarantee that you’ll be staring at your watch for long periods of the running time. TWO STARS

Post #: 104
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 22/7/2013 4:43:42 PM   
Invader_Ace

nevermind...!

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 22/7/2013 4:45:21 PM >

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 105
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 22/7/2013 5:01:35 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: ROTGUT

Itís a bomb unfortunately. A one hundred and ninety million dollar Power Rangers episode with a plot that seems to have been written on the back of a postage stamp. Pacific Rim is a film where the robots themselves exhibit more real life and more personality than the humans who actually pilot them, with a story that plays out like warmed up spoon fed chunks of pablum for ten year olds. The clinking clanking ultra violence is the big selling point here and when itís not on screen, I guarantee that youíll be staring at your watch for long periods of the running time. TWO STARS

This sort of criticism is honestly becoming tiring.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 106
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 22/7/2013 5:58:03 PM   
blackduck

Overall it was alright, acting wasn't great, but not bad enough to take away too much from the film,

The fight in the city and the bit with the girl and her shoe were highlights. But most of the fights were too dark to fully understand what was going on.
The big end fight was a mess of darkness and stupidity that made it hard to eitther see or care what was going on.

there are long spells between each fight sequence, as these sections are so dull your mind tends to start asking questions.

Wouldn't nuking the rift be one of the first things they try rather than it being the hail Mary plan?
Why are there still skyscrapers by the coast? Wouldn't they all have been destroyed years ago?
Couldn't they just build a drone submarine to launch the nuke rather than sending thier best weapon?
Or for that matter, mine the shit out of the rift, it's a bottleneck for the enemy, fill it with sea mines.
Couldn't at least one fight happen during the daytime, be nice to see what's going on?

Overall not a terrible movie, but could have been a whole lot better.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 107
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 22/7/2013 7:26:59 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Wouldn't nuking the rift be one of the first things they try rather than it being the hail Mary plan?
Why are there still skyscrapers by the coast? Wouldn't they all have been destroyed years ago?
Couldn't they just build a drone submarine to launch the nuke rather than sending thier best weapon?
Or for that matter, mine the shit out of the rift, it's a bottleneck for the enemy, fill it with sea mines.
Couldn't at least one fight happen during the daytime, be nice to see what's going on?

Overall not a terrible movie, but could have been a whole lot better.

I think several of your points suggest you missed the bit where they discussed the rift - bombs bounced off, wouldn't go through. It was a hail mary because it was only at this point, with the program cancelled and only 4 left, that they were predicting a sufficiently large event with more than one coming through for the first time which they thought would mean the rift was big enough to get a bomb down it. And as was made clear towards the end - that still wouldn't have worked without the additional info.

For the skyscrapers - after the first few they'd been defended by the jaegers and it was only recently the jaegers had started losing - also, Pacific Rim is a very very large place. They give the timing of events - nowhere near enough to wipe out the entire rim!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 22/7/2013 7:27:12 PM >

quote:

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 108
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 22/7/2013 8:57:49 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

The fight in the city and the bit with the girl and her shoe were highlights. But most of the fights were too dark to fully understand what was going on.
The big end fight was a mess of darkness and stupidity that made it hard to either see or care what was going on.

You know, I hear things like this a lot, and I'm beginning to think I just have a very special mind, because I had absolutely no trouble following the fights, nor any trouble understanding what was going on.

Anywho, I saw this film twice, and loved it to pieces both times. It was a far more interesting and entertaining spectacle than Man of Steel, the plot (such as there was) didn't annoy me anywhere near as much as Star Trek Into Darkness. Out of the three 'big' films I've seen this year, it's the only one I have any interest in adding to my personal collection. Yes, some of the acting was woeful, and some of the dialogue varied between laughable and painful, but, at the end of the day, it had mechas fighting monsters in quite a spectacular fashion. It gave me just about everything I could have wanted from such a movie, and I enjoyed every damn minute of it.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 109
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 22/7/2013 9:48:09 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveTheStampede

quote:

The big end fight was a mess of darkness and stupidity that made it hard to either see or care what was going on.

You know, I hear things like this a lot, and I'm beginning to think I just have a very special mind, because I had absolutely no trouble following the fights, nor any trouble understanding what was going on.

Anywho, I saw this film twice, and loved it to pieces both times. It was a far more interesting and entertaining spectacle than Man of Steel, the plot (such as there was) didn't annoy me anywhere near as much as Star Trek Into Darkness. Out of the three 'big' films I've seen this year, it's the only one I have any interest in adding to my personal collection. Yes, some of the acting was woeful, and some of the dialogue varied between laughable and painful, but, at the end of the day, it had mechas fighting monsters in quite a spectacular fashion. It gave me just about everything I could have wanted from such a movie, and I enjoyed every damn minute of it.

Amen!... and to anyone who can't follow a very simple yet awesome fight between two gigantic fucking monsters/Robot is either dim, needs glasses or was watching it on some camcorder pirate download version with man coughing all the way through it!

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 110
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 11:06:16 AM   
londonnut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveTheStampede

quote:

Amen!... and to anyone who can't follow a very simple yet awesome fight between two gigantic fucking monsters/Robot is either dim, needs glasses or was watching it on some camcorder pirate download version with man coughing all the way through it!

^^^ Amazing. So multiple viewers criticise the incoherent (and underwhelming) action and it's their fault for being dim?! God forbid there might actually be an issue with the film making!

If Pacific Rim was made by anyone else other than GDT it would quite rightly be held up as a defining example of how Hollywood is in implosion mode. Spielberg was right - it's all going to sh*t when even 'auteurs' churn out absolute crap like this. I can forgive the script, I went in for the action but it was a mess and yes it WAS hard to follow and engage with. The San Fran prologue with only teases of scale was better done than the out-in-the-open mess that followed. For the budget they should've been able to take the action out of the cloak of darkness (at least Bay has the balls to give us GCI in daylight). And talking of scale, how can an experienced director forget that when you have two Ďmassiveí combatants unless you have anything else to frame them with they could be six feet tall (the supposedly climactic sea duel was the least spectacular with nothing to set the scale)

A terrible, terrible film and I take no pleasure in saying that; as someone who's been hoping to see GDT's take on 'Mountains of Madness' he's f*cked up his chances of ever getting that off the ground.

< Message edited by londonnut -- 23/7/2013 11:09:23 AM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 111
Very enjoyable. - 23/7/2013 2:22:08 PM   
Filmfan 2

Finally saw this yesterday evening and I enjoyed it immensely.

Some terrible dialogue and much of the characterisation of cliched, but they weren't the worst I've ever seen. On the action front, however, this movie completely delivered. Pacific Rim has some of the best effects work I've seen in a big movie for quite some time, and I'd even say that, barring the ongoing dimness issues, the 3D post-work was probably the best I've seen as well.

Not going to be winning any Best Film Oscars any time soon, but a thoroughly entertaining movie nonetheless.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to londonnut)
Post #: 112
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 2:32:37 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

ORIGINAL: londonnut
I went in for the action but it was a mess and yes it WAS hard to follow and engage with.

Then, either I have a very special mind, or we have different definitions of 'hard to follow'.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to londonnut)
Post #: 113
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 2:41:32 PM   
Dannybohy

HOW IS IT HARD TO FOLLOW!!!

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 114
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 3:00:43 PM   
elab49

quote:

I went in for the action but it was a mess and yes it WAS hard to follow and engage with.

Which bits?

quote:

(the supposedly climactic sea duel was the least spectacular with nothing to set the scale)

We already had multiple opportunities to scale Gypsy Danger and Striker Eureka (both in Hong Kong and Sydney). The final fight, then, has the Cat 5 scaled against them, as it is presumably assuming the audience remembers what it saw a few minutes back.

quote:

(in reply to londonnut)
Post #: 115
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 3:30:51 PM   
londonnut

quote:

quote:

Which bits?

quote:

(the supposedly climactic sea duel was the least spectacular with nothing to set the scale)

We already had multiple opportunities to scale Gypsy Danger and Striker Eureka (both in Hong Kong and Sydney). The final fight, then, has the Cat 5 scaled against them, as it is presumably assuming the audience remembers what it saw a few minutes back.

Lol! That's OK then! Yeah silly me I should've been considering scale from previous scenes instead of the one I'm ACTUALLY watching! The point wasn't about what's come before but how the lack of scaling IN THE ACTUAL SCENE undermined the supposedly 'epic' size of the designs. The defence of this crap is getting more laughable. That sea battle was a mess and far less impressive and coherent than the initial prologue. You guys saw what you saw (and no doubt mopped yourself up with some kleenex as the credits rolled) but instead of mess in my pants I saw it on screen. DREADFUL. No one will give a shit about this film in a year.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 3:45:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which bits?

quote:

Lol! That's OK then! Yeah silly me I should've been considering scale from previous scenes instead of the one I'm ACTUALLY watching! The point wasn't about what's come before but how the lack of scaling IN THE ACTUAL SCENE undermined the supposedly 'epic' size of the designs. The defence of this crap is getting more laughable. That sea battle was a mess and far less impressive and coherent than the initial prologue. You guys saw what you saw (and no doubt mopped yourself up with some kleenex as the credits rolled) but instead of mess in my pants I saw it on screen. DREADFUL. No one will give a shit about this film in a year.

I don't think it's an issue of not liking the film, which is fair enough. It's just one of making unfair criticisms simply because you didn't like it. It's not as if they're going to run through every scene with a big ruler against the side to help people catch up.

Nevertheless I did ask another question. Engage with, fair enough - again that's a personal thing. But hard to follow? Which bits?

quote:

(in reply to londonnut)
Post #: 117
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 3:50:42 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: ROTGUT
Itís a bomb unfortunately.

quote:

as someone who's been hoping to see GDT's take on 'Mountains of Madness' he's f*cked up his chances of ever getting that off the ground.

Not sure that is the case.
Production Budget:                    $190 million

Worldwide Box Office:
$178,582,523

Yet to be released in China or Japan where I expect it will do big business, plus a few other territories.
Also a film like this will do big business on DVD/Blu Ray and VOD Services.  There's probably some sweet action figues and what-not to come too.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 118
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 4:09:01 PM   
londonnut

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which bits?

quote:

I don't think it's an issue of not liking the film, which is fair enough. It's just one of making unfair criticisms simply because you didn't like it. It's not as if they're going to run through every scene with a big ruler against the side to help people catch up.

Nevertheless I did ask another question. Engage with, fair enough - again that's a personal thing. But hard to follow? Which bits?

THIS > "..unfair criticisms simply because you didn't like it..." What's 'unfair'?! That other people don't like your favourite film. Get a grip!

Thought the 'hard to follow' comment would be pretty self explanantory but if you need it broken down I am not - of course - referring to the perfunctury story or the matter of following who's fighting who but the ACTION itself. Hidden in darkness, a mass of creatures blindly rolling around and over each other grappling with a tangled mass of metal. The choreography seemed to be so completely erratic the 'bots and monsters might as well have been just dropped in washing machine set to high spin. A tangled, dark, UNSCALED mess.

Look, if you love this kind of thing good luck to you. But I was disappointingly underwhelmed. Been gunning for this film for a year but I just cannot defend it on any level (especially the visuals because that's why we all bought our tickets after all). Like I said I can forgive shitty acting, dialogue, even the entire story but for the action (apart from prologue) to be more than a bit 'meh' is a total let down (for me).

< Message edited by londonnut -- 23/7/2013 4:14:51 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 119
RE: ROBOTJOX IS ACTUALLY BETTER..... - 23/7/2013 4:12:35 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which bits?

quote:

Thought the 'hard to follow' comment would be pretty self explanantory but if you need it broken down I am not - of course - referring to the perfunctury story or the matter of following who's fighting who but the ACTION itself. Hidden in darkness, a mass of creatures blindly rolling around and over each other grappling with a tangled mass of metal. The choreography seemed to be so completely erratic the 'bots and monsters might as well have been just dropped in washing machine set to high spin. A tangled, dark, UNSCALED mess.

Look, if you love this kind of thing good luck to you. But I was disappointingly underwhelmed. Been gunning for this film for a year but I just cannot defend it on any level (especially the visuals because that's why we all bought our tickets after all). Like I said I can forgive shitty acting, dialogue, even the entire story but for the action (apart from prologue) to be more than a bit 'meh' is a total let down (for me).

I'm genuinely beginning to wonder if some cinemas have been showing this oddly. I do know someone said a cinema did (having pointed out to the staff that the titles also had focus problems) but I've seen it in both 3D and 2D, my eyesight is far from perfect, and I had no problems in distinguishing between a metal robot and a living creature in fights that hardly took place in pitch darkness. I understand the point because it's one of my many criticisms of Transformers. I just don't get it for this film. I don't think it's a masterpiece, and I do think it's got quite a few problems. But that just isn't one of them.

quote:

(in reply to londonnut)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Pacific Rim Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI